Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

n3wt posted:

ABC Family changes its name to Freeform in January 2016! The network’s new name reflects our ongoing priority to super-serve Becomers, fans on that epic adventure of becoming an adult—from first kiss to first kid! ABC Family President Tom Ascheim says, "Freeform evokes the spirit and adventure of our audience"

Freeform. Free to take whatever shape feels right. Free to push beyond the expected. Free to get beyond point A to point B in a line that’s nowhere near straight. Because you don’t just watch: you get involved, make it yours, and share it with everyone. This is where we break free, so come with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ghlbtsk posted:

If the garbage product you're selling is something people don't want: rename, rebrand and repackage the same garbage until you've convinced the public it's something they do want.

they have to at least give it a try, and you get your ratings spike that you can trot out to investors to keep them interested while the sag returns

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

notZaar posted:

e-bullying campaigns against logos

all brands deserve e-bullying

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Overthinking cartoons: something goons and millennials can agree on.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

cowman posted:

I was born in 91...

I remember watching the first live-televised war in '91.

If I were to ever snap and kill a person that I didn't know it would be a person that looks like this.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Justin Tyme posted:

I saw a straight up milsurp smoker's jacket for sale at a mall for 60 loving dollars once

"Smoker's jacket"...lul

Haven't heard that one but I did wear mine for at least a week under my undershirt when my wooly pulley was unserviceable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Pride posted:

"Smoker's jacket"...lul

Haven't heard that one but I did wear mine for at least a week under my undershirt when my wooly pulley was unserviceable.

i wore one to go smoke in biloxi because it was like 20 degrees counting windchill but i never thought someone would think that lovely insert looks like a smoker's jacket

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Any jacket is can be a smoker's jacket, when you think about it.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Larry Parrish posted:

i wore one to go smoke in biloxi because it was like 20 degrees counting windchill but i never thought someone would think that lovely insert looks like a smoker's jacket

It does because of the shiny appearance and because it wasn't unusual to see someone in the field where broken uniform was somewhat acceptable and the company guns wasn't around wear one to step out to smoke in because we all slept in them anyway with our matching poncho liners, etc.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

I've seen this picture before but never known the context. Anybody care to explain? TIA

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

kajeto posted:

I've seen this picture before but never known the context. Anybody care to explain? TIA

Dude loitering around Apple store after worthless shithead Steve Jobs died from his own stupidity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is from a while back, but my buddy I used to live with went hogwild with all this modern distinguished gentleman bullshit, and I remember one day he went out and spent $400 on this ridiculous straight razor getup, including the leather strap and the brush that the guy is using in the video. I told him he was out of his mind and he gave me some speech about how this was much better than dumb modern razors etc. even though he had never used a straight razor in his life. I also told him that the shave brush I used cost like 8 dollars at Safeway and I didn't understand why his was $150 and girlfriend said "yours isn't badger hair. it's not going to give you as good of a shave". He immediately went in the bathroom to try out his new stuff and cut the ever loving poo poo out of his face with the straight razor. he straight up screamed "fuucckk!!" like 3 times while shaving and came out with these huge cuts all over his face. He never used it again and the store wouldn't take it back because he used it once.

I feel bad making fun of them because they are good friends of mine and are overall rad, but holy poo poo you could sell them the stupidest bullshit with a couple of buzzwords. They were both broke and still spent unfathomable amounts of money on the dumbest snake oil products. He would refuse to drink my store brand coffee and insist on his "artisanal" brand, so sometimes I would use my store brand anyways without telling him and he never noticed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

NESguerilla posted:

I also told him that the shave brush I used cost like 8 dollars at Safeway and I didn't understand why his was $150 and girlfriend said "yours isn't badger hair. it's not going to give you as good of a shave".

That's not even what makes them expensive. I've seen badger hair brushes for $20

Also, it's safety razors. Safety razors are the best. Close shaves, dirt cheap blades and a short learning curve? From a razor/handle that costs as much as a pack of disposable heads and'll last for decades and which looks like this:

They're the best. (The beeEEeest)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

kajeto posted:

me irl

:qq: RIP stephen :qq: a true Genius :qq:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ghlbtsk posted:

If the garbage product you're selling is something people don't want: rename, rebrand and repackage the same garbage until you've convinced the public it's something they do want.

OMG this! I can't even.

But serously this is true

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NESguerilla posted:

This is from a while back, but my buddy I used to live with went hogwild with all this modern distinguished gentleman bullshit, and I remember one day he went out and spent $400 on this ridiculous straight razor getup, including the leather strap and the brush that the guy is using in the video. I told him he was out of his mind and he gave me some speech about how this was much better than dumb modern razors etc. even though he had never used a straight razor in his life. I also told him that the shave brush I used cost like 8 dollars at Safeway and I didn't understand why his was $150 and girlfriend said "yours isn't badger hair. it's not going to give you as good of a shave". He immediately went in the bathroom to try out his new stuff and cut the ever loving poo poo out of his face with the straight razor. he straight up screamed "fuucckk!!" like 3 times while shaving and came out with these huge cuts all over his face. He never used it again and the store wouldn't take it back because he used it once.

I feel bad making fun of them because they are good friends of mine and are overall rad, but holy poo poo you could sell them the stupidest bullshit with a couple of buzzwords. They were both broke and still spent unfathomable amounts of money on the dumbest snake oil products. He would refuse to drink my store brand coffee and insist on his "artisanal" brand, so sometimes I would use my store brand anyways without telling him and he never noticed.

Reminds me of all the blind tests that have been done to show that sommelier certificates may ad well be issued by a certificate mill.
i.e. dyeing white wine red and then people describe it as, "a full and deep red with blah blah red wine descriptors". Or serving them cheap wine in expensive bottles.
I've pulled this on my very douchy friend that criticized me for drinking $5 wine.

We don't speak much anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The placebo effect is powerful and people will pay top dollar to look better than others. 90% of fancy poo poo is snake oil for suckers.

TwitchCannon
Jul 12, 2002

It's all about versatility, honey - I'm a pitcher and a catcher.

Robot Pride posted:

If I were to ever snap and kill a person that I didn't know it would be a person that looks like this.

But he looks cute.

Oh god.

Oh god I'm part of the problem *kills self*

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1vtZR16RY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When miracle Whip "is in a sandwich you know it" because the sandwich is ruined.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

TV can't compete with the internet

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Might be an Army thing, that's what we all called it. Also might have to do with the fact field jackets aren't issued anymore but the concept of a wearable poncho liner is so genius people still buy them and don't know they're supposed to go with the old field jacket, so they got their own endearing name.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

NESguerilla posted:

I used to think straight razors were cool so I bought a beginners razor. it had a little removable bit where the blade would normally be, and you put a razor blade inside the bit, slide it back into the tang and shave away without having to get it sharp enough first.

it was unwieldy and a pain in the rear end to get a close shave. real glad I only spent ten bucks to learn a good lesson about obsolete products: they're obsolete for a reason.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Ladies, if your man takes longer than you to get dressed, dump him.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
ladies if ur man owns shoes that aren't sneakers or boots he's a homosexual in denial

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ladies please have the sex with me instead of your man.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

n3wt posted:

ABC Family changes its name to Freeform in January 2016! The network’s new name reflects our ongoing priority to super-serve Becomers, fans on that epic adventure of becoming an adult—from first kiss to first kid! ABC Family President Tom Ascheim says, "Freeform evokes the spirit and adventure of our audience"

Freeform. Free to take whatever shape feels right. Free to push beyond the expected. Free to get beyond point A to point B in a line that’s nowhere near straight. Because you don’t just watch: you get involved, make it yours, and share it with everyone. This is where we break free, so come with us.

ref: http://abcfamily.go.com/news/listing/all-shows/abc-family-announces-new-name-freeform

imagine all the corporate "brainstorming" sessions and focus groups it took to squeeze this one out

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Toadvine posted:

I used to think straight razors were cool so I bought a beginners razor. it had a little removable bit where the blade would normally be, and you put a razor blade inside the bit, slide it back into the tang and shave away without having to get it sharp enough first.

it was unwieldy and a pain in the rear end to get a close shave. real glad I only spent ten bucks to learn a good lesson about obsolete products: they're obsolete for a reason.

I remember experimentally trying one of those one day and I gored myself. :allears: Thank gently caress I never bought my own.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Accretionist posted:

That's not even what makes them expensive. I've seen badger hair brushes for $20

Also, it's safety razors. Safety razors are the best. Close shaves, dirt cheap blades and a short learning curve? From a razor/handle that costs as much as a pack of disposable heads and'll last for decades and which looks like this:

safety razors are the best, you save a lot of money on blades. and meaningless personal anecdote, but i stopped getting terrible razor burn when i switched from some gillette five blade thing, they don't really pull the hair.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

n3wt posted:

ref: http://abcfamily.go.com/news/listing/all-shows/abc-family-announces-new-name-freeform

tell me when we get a Freestyle channel then ikll care

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

goddamn this site is full of some old rear end motherfuckers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's actually super hip right now to use those things if you are 25.

I still use the mach 3 handle that gillette sent me on my 18th birthday. If you get that reference you are actually old.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

lol if your facial hair has any impact on your social or professional life

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

kajeto posted:

he lost his jobs.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Robo Reagan posted:

goddamn this site is full of some old rear end motherfuckers

Hey now, I'm actually a spry as poo poo young man who just doesn't like wasting money on disposable razor heads. Those things are scams and bullshit.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

thathonkey posted:

me irl

:qq: RIP stephen :qq: a true Genius :qq:

rip stebe jubs

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

One of my grandmother's friends lost her husband when he accidentally slit his throat while shaving. She found his body, called the cops, then got out a mop and started cleaning up.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

NESguerilla posted:

It's actually super hip right now to use those things if you are 25.

I still use the mach 3 handle that gillette sent me on my 18th birthday. If you get that reference you are actually old.

Me too! I also have a backup I got for free when I bought books for college years ago (gift box with razor, condom, coupons etc) and it owns.

I respect safety razors and all but I really don't go through any Mach 3 blades at all. I thank my Swedish roots for my non metallic facial hair as my blades last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

P-Mack posted:

One of my grandmother's friends lost her husband when he accidentally slit his throat while shaving. She found his body, called the cops, then got out a mop and started cleaning up.

"Accidentally" haha. She killed that dude

• Locked thread