Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

simplefish posted:

Intel. I wanna know where those cats are off to and any uncovered exhaust ports that may be on their ship. Then instead of one measly chicken we may feast upon the whole coop.

Can you link to the rule about non-Caiman officers please? I don't remember seeing it

I'll see if it's in one of the rule pages I've already uploaded but by default only Caimen can hold bridge positions, aside from Valets which have to be skinks/geckos/etc with the Valet skill. As we've seen though Caiman society is subject to change because now Caimen can be valets as well.

Right now aliens that join the crew can only be used on away teams (and for ship defence).

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Doesn't the expansion have rules for social change in the event that all of the existing officers get killed/eaten/lost in a freak cosmic accident? We've already got the FEUDAL keyword, and the underclasses certainly don't have any stake in management anymore..

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Come on, we MUST recruit the owl. He is more skilled than the rest of the Caiman crew combined.

He may not be able to hold a bridge position, but I'm pretty sure having him in our deck increases the effectiveness of our Haldian slaves. I vote we keep him. We need every force multiplier we can get.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

He may not be able to hold a bridge position, but I'm pretty sure having him in our deck increases the effectiveness of our Haldian slaves. I vote we keep him. We need every force multiplier we can get.

We're down to one slave IIRC

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Keep Moist Owlette

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr Cheeto posted:

There will def be opportunities to aquire more before the adventure is over.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Dr Cheeto posted:

Pretty sure we have a large pool of them; we just took two on an away mission and got one killed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we keep accumulating exotic crew were going to be feudal furries in space. This is why we need to eat him.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
burn the burd

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Anticheese posted:

Doesn't the expansion have rules for social change in the event that all of the existing officers get killed/eaten/lost in a freak cosmic accident? We've already got the FEUDAL keyword, and the underclasses certainly don't have any stake in management anymore..

No, the deal is that if you run out of crew you get redshirts who have -2 to whatever the last crew had. They're worthless. There's a Slave Rebellion expansion which I was going to crack out if we picked up the slaves on the world in the last system (it gives you a chance to convert each slave race to one or two useable crew members), but there's no point with just one slave card.

E: The feudal keyword is important later but for now all it does is ruins the valet position and weakens the ship

almost1337 posted:

Pretty sure we have a large pool of them; we just took two on an away mission and got one killed.

This, there's an infinite amount of them.

Slight majority in favour of keeping the bird, so let's do that. Applewhite is right, he increases the effectiveness of our slaves so they'll almost be on par with the redshirts.

Update relatively shortly.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 10, 2015

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Finally, a way to wring more usefulness out of slaves.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
It just dawned on my that if cattes, owles, and foxxes are all together..... Are they they forgotten spawn of the last alliance of Otherkins and Furries? A result of genetic experimentation of men gone wrong and exiled to their own Galaxy?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RocktheCaulk posted:

It just dawned on my that if cattes, owles, and foxxes are all together..... Are they they forgotten spawn of the last alliance of Otherkins and Furries? A result of genetic experimentation of men gone wrong and exiled to their own Galaxy?

They're just wild animals that stand upright, use tools and are roughly human sized. It's more of a military dictatorship than an alliance. Also I think they predate the notion of thinking it's ok to be attracted to cartoon animals by about fifteen years, give or take.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

RocktheCaulk posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_III:_Heart_of_the_Tiger

Sci-fi use to love the hell out of animal people. Probably not in the same way as now, but death of the author and all that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gilganixon posted:

They're just wild animals that stand upright, use tools and are roughly human sized. It's more of a military dictatorship than an alliance. Also I think they predate the notion of thinking it's ok to be attracted to cartoon animals by about fifteen years, give or take.

Sorry, more like 14 years too late https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_%281973_film%29

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. Yeesh.

Sorry for late update, been distracted by rowdiness. Not a massive one tonight anyhow:

We spare the Owle, gaining a valuable officer and giving our slaves a bit of a boost. 75:

Asterios posted:

Finally, a way to wring more usefulness out of slaves.

I don't really know why things like slavery, torture and gladiatorial fights are so common in sci fi but there you go. The boost here is pretty significant because we have crew weapons: two Expertise 5 grunts are a lot better than one Expertise 6 grunt.

Here's the Owle again:

It's not mentioned on the card because it's a general Catte bonus but he gets +1 Expertise in the first round of hand to hand combat. We can't use him for much other than an extra away team member (a pretty good one at that) but he has some engineering skill which might be useful later on.

Now turning to 421:

Firstly, should we quarantine the Lido or just tell SuGaBA to piss off?

Secondly, what's our next move?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tell Sugaba to shut up and take the shot at the warping cattes

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Blow up the Caterwaul
then
Quarantine the Lido Deck
We're not running an Italian cruse liner here. Better a crapulent crew than a crap-u-lint ship. If the crew is mad about a few repairs, just imagine how they'd feel about people pooping in the hallway.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

i always smoke weed at this part. ive also never gotten past the tutorial fight cuz im the guy who reads CYOAs page to page
blow up the lido deck and quarantine the ship

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 11, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HardDisk posted:

This. A few STDs never hurt anybody.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Shoot cats, swamp stays open (SuGaBA shuts up)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

gently caress it, we've done enough work for today. Back to the orgies, and let's take that shot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HardDisk posted:

Well duh this

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Quarantine the Lido Deck, take the shot. We sure as hell don't want filthy Catte excrement in our pools.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

10 days?! We'll lose the ship!
Dionysus bless this Mess

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Applewhite posted:

Blow up the Caterwaul
then
Quarantine the Lido Deck

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Blow up the Caterwaul
then
Quarantine the Lido Deck
We're not running an Italian cruse liner here. Better a crapulent crew than a crap-u-lint ship. If the crew is mad about a few repairs, just imagine how they'd feel about people pooping in the hallway.

This. Lets not get to the Void Nebula and promptly die of TOXOPLASMOSIS because we were concerned about someone's feelings.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Take the shot and quarantine the libido deck. Knowing how these books work, there is probably something really nasty that results from not cleaning it up.

I'm torn on both these suggestions, though - letting the Cattes go ahead of us might clean out some other nasties waiting in the next sector, too. They were already beaten pretty badly by the humans, apparently.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HardDisk posted:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In support of telling SuGaBa to shut up:
From a narrative standpoint, SuGaBa should be on thin ice right now anyways. At it's suggestion, we merged with the space Giant, rather than eat it. We survived a mutiny for the promise of it being worthwhile.
Literally our first space fight, and we take a hit that completely bypasses the point of the upgrade.
I know that's just luck of the dice, but still, in roleplaying terms, that's how it went down and how the captain should see it.

We close the lido deck, even if we don't suffer another mutiny, odds are good that our crapulence is going to get pretty high up, which means we'll need to either start picking off officers, or we'll be facing an uprising in the next zone.

That, and we don't know something bad will happen if we leave the lido deck uncleaned. Sure, it's likely, given the nature of the books, but, it might also throw us for a whammy, and we may get some sort of immunity built up to a future case of space aids due to our repeated exposure to outside contaminants.
Or better yet, we're able to develop some horrific biological weapon that results from all the various fluids and filth we accumulate in there.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 11, 2015

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Blow the Cattes up and Quarantine the Lido deck. If I remember correctly, Caimans getting Toxoplasmosis pretty much guarantees that we'll lose. Something about literally rotting Caimans' brains.

Standish
May 21, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Knowing how these books work, there is probably something really nasty that results from not cleaning it up.
Knowing how these books work, there is probably something even nastier that results from choosing the safe option and doing what the computer says every time

I say middle ground: reopen the deck, but put up a sign at the entrance: "PATRONS USE THIS FACILITY AT THEIR OWN RISK. MANAGEMENT ASSUMES NO LIABILITY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED FOR SPACE HERPES SPACE TOXOPLASMOSIS OR SPACE WARTS". That should keep us safe, from a legal standpoint at least. We do not want to get involved in a personal injury case without a ship's lawyer on our crew.

Also take the drat shot already.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Can we just substract 024 from the page number we are on? I heard from a friend who played this while high, that it's the hidden option which is otherwise not even mentioned anywhere.
A miracle of this game's engineering i guess.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DmitriX posted:

Can we just substract 024 from the page number we are on? I heard from a friend who played this while high, that it's the hidden option which is otherwise not even mentioned anywhere.
A miracle of this game's engineering i guess.

What's supposed to be on that page? I don't want to have to scan pay off Two-Fisted Steve for another page if I don't have to.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

What's supposed to be on that page? I don't want to have to scan pay off Two-Fisted Steve for another page if I don't have to.
Take it with a grain of salt, the guy was high and my memory is hazy.
I think it involved stuffing your weapons officer full of spice to improve the chances of shot actually hitting. Of course it also had some special consequences for failing but i don't recall what those were. It might have featured some sort of a codeword tho?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Did moist mention something about a human survivor?

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

Outrail posted:

Did moist mention something about a human survivor?

Hmm...

Between us, our Discobot and our new Catte-aligned friend, we've got three of the four major factions on board.

We should try and capture that human. We might need to all join knowledge and skills for some kind of final fight.

That, or, what if humans taste the best? Would we really be able to live with ourselves if we didn't eat the last human?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

HardDisk posted:

much like smallpox, the survivors of the ensuing epidemic become immune to catteaids and all related stds, opening the door for even further, next level debauchery later on

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 11, 2015

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
take the shot, no preference on quarantine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

take the shot, set up the quarantine

We're the last surviving members of our species, which means every STD now counts double somehow.

• Locked thread