Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

Consumer Reports ran some diesel's in "cheat mode". Got about 1/2 second slower to 60 mph and a 10% fuel economy drop.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-much-fuel-economy-and-performance-drops-whe-1735705959

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/testing-volkswagen-diesel-fuel-economy-and-performance-in-cheat-mode

Note: this may not be the fix VW goes with. It may cause durability issues or other problems.

.....that's not actually that awful, why were they cheating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There could be problems running like this in the long run that they were trying to avoid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

There could be problems running like this in the long run that they were trying to avoid.

I don't know, but outside of clogging the EGR, it shouldn't be detrimental to the engine provided they extend the EGR cycle or raise the operating temperature.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know, but outside of clogging the EGR, it shouldn't be detrimental to the engine provided they extend the EGR cycle or raise the operating temperature.

DPF perhaps? not sure if it would normally operate during an EPA test cycle

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Because if you look at the pressures OEMs are facing:

Lower fuel consumption
Longer durability
Better quality
Higher power output
Lower emissions
and all with lower prices

Where are you going to cut the corners?

If you're responsible for selling all these cars and your team comes to you and says, "We can get an extra 10% (this is huge, by the way) fuel consumption decrease by carefully calibrating our cars to pass emissions cycles - making our cars legal - but being more aggressive when we're not in those driving conditions," you really expect people to say "No"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

DPF perhaps? not sure if it would normally operate during an EPA test cycle

The DPF should cycle normally during a testing cycle, as its triggered by ash load sensors and and a timer, so it can happen during normal idle, but VW was limiting it when the EPA Cheat was disabled to prevent it from robbing power.

totalnewbie posted:

Because if you look at the pressures OEMs are facing:

Lower fuel consumption
Longer durability
Better quality
Higher power output
Lower emissions
and all with lower prices

Where are you going to cut the corners?

If you're responsible for selling all these cars and your team comes to you and says, "We can get an extra 10% (this is huge, by the way) fuel consumption decrease by carefully calibrating our cars to pass emissions cycles - making our cars legal - but being more aggressive when we're not in those driving conditions," you really expect people to say "No"?

50 MPG versus 53 MPG, its not worth it. Its still 50 MPG in the age where Americans are still buying cars that get low 20s. And only 1/2 a second to 0-60 time? So the gently caress what.

Durability wise, I sincerely doubt this is going to result in a major hit to engine durability.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

The DPF should cycle normally during a testing cycle, as its triggered by ash load sensors and and a timer, so it can happen during normal idle, but VW was limiting it when the EPA Cheat was disabled to prevent it from robbing power.

50 MPG versus 53 MPG, its not worth it. Its still 50 MPG in the age where Americans are still buying cars that get low 20s. And only 1/2 a second to 0-60 time? So the gently caress what.

Durability wise, I sincerely doubt this is going to result in a major hit to engine durability.

The TDIs in question were only rated for 40 mpg. TDIs haven't gotten mileage in the 50s since before they put the DPF on them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

The TDIs in question were only rated for 40 mpg. TDIs haven't gotten mileage in the 50s since before they put the DPF on them.

quote:

But the biggest changes occurred in fuel economy. Especially on the highway where the 2015 Jetta’s MPGs dropped from 53 to 50 and the 2011 Sportwagen’s plummeted from 50 to 46 MPG.

Yeah, EPA rated them at 46 Highway, so I don't know where Jalopnik got that.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 9, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

veedubfreak posted:

i dunno mine break 50 on the freeway and its a 15.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Fuel mileage isn't emissions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Fuel mileage isn't emissions.

:ssh: Read the article, this was when they enabled the cheat and drove both vehicles with the EPA cheat on to measure impact of an EPA approved emissions standard on the vehicle.

In theory, with the cheat on while driving, the vehicles should be meeting emissions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, but the people buying cars in the low 20s are not the same people buying TDIs. Generally, people pay a premium for a diesel engine because they're traveling salesmen, for example, and then every MPG matters. And I'll agree that most people wouldn't know a 15 HP drop if it hit them in the face but they're numbers that people see and that get "tested" by car magazines.

When it comes to emissions, though, if it's meeting the requirements then... so what? No one was - I'm sure they might now, if it comes out that someone is meeting the requirements at all times - giving anyone credit for keeping low emissions during regular driving so, how would you justify to your management your decision to make your car "worse" for no benefit?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The problem is definitely bigger than a 10% drop in performance and a 10% drop in fuel efficiency or they would have fixed it by now and certainly would have for that December recall and the 2015 models when they were already under investigation.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I read earlier that it is going to take a H/W change for everything before 15MY (in the US). Bigger LNT? SCR? Either way, that'll hurt a LOT. Good thing no one in USA buys diesels. Hope they can get away with a S/W change in Europe, though, or I don't even want to think about the numbers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The benefit would be being able to sell your vehicles and meet emissions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, VW's case aside, it seems that other makers' are able to sell cars and meet emissions, as the laws/regulations defines them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest that auto makers are right to do what they're doing. My point, though, is that the result is the natural result of the circumstances they're in and that I don't find the outcome surprising.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Well, VW's case aside, it seems that other makers' are able to sell cars and meet emissions, as the laws/regulations defines them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest that auto makers are right to do what they're doing. My point, though, is that the result is the natural result of the circumstances they're in and that I don't find the outcome surprising.

Not according to the article on the previous page which claims that 95% of non-VW diesels in the EU failed as well.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
This is the article cited: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row?CMP=twt_gu

quote:

All the diesel cars passed the EU’s official lab-based regulatory test (called NEDC), but the test has failed to cut air pollution as governments intended because carmakers designed vehicles that perform better in the lab than on the road. There is no evidence of illegal activity, such as the “defeat devices” used by Volkswagen.

So there's no problem as far as the regulatory agencies are concerned per se, though obviously this is clearly not following the spirit of the regulations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

The 14s and 15s have the urea tank so they don't have to waste tons of fuel clearing the dpf. The mk6 was only rated at 40 hwy. The MK7 is rated at like 46.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A 10% drop in fuel economy would take the diesels numbers to almost the same as the petrol in most markets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Actual fuel mileage is not comparable to EPA rated fuel mileage.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

The 14s and 15s have the urea tank so they don't have to waste tons of fuel clearing the dpf. The mk6 was only rated at 40 hwy. The MK7 is rated at like 46.

Oh, I didn't know that what the urea was for. I just assumed the goat piss did something magical.

meatpimp posted:

Actual fuel mileage is not comparable to EPA rated fuel mileage.

I know that, that why it is almost impossible to win a case against a car manufacturer for loss of mileage, the manufacturer doesn't say the car can get X mileage the EPA does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's also no guarantee that 'cheat mode' actually makes them emissions compliant across the board, we only know it makes them emissions compliant for the testing situations.

So, turning on cheat mode make make the car have NOx within range required by the EPA when the real world driving matches the EPA testing cycle, it may fall out of range when the car is driven differently. Basically, on top of the cheat only turning on when EPA tests were detected, it may also only bring the car in line emissions-wise in those specific testing conditions.

So, fully fixing it, so the car hits the right range of emissions across all duty cycles, may be much more elaborate and detrimental to the fuel economy/speed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

So, fully fixing it, so the car hits the right range of emissions across all duty cycles, may be much more elaborate and detrimental to the fuel economy/speed.

So long as the car can pass the test cycle without the defeat in place it shouldn't matter about real world - it'd still meet the standard it was sold under and would likely put it in the same position as other manufacturers.

Of course the test cycle could be changed, but that would mean a new standard and affect everyone

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I dunno, I got a personal letter from Micheal Horn saying that they'd fix it as soon as possible, so everything will be right again one day.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Oh, I didn't know that what the urea was for. I just assumed the goat piss did something magical.

Urea is used in SCR systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction

Compare to the LNT systems that don't have urea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx_adsorber

Not sure how it influences the DPF/DPF regen cycle though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec

According to the Wikipedia page, Daimler AG developed a complex SCR and DPF system that combined a few different techniques and called it BlueTec. This was licensed to Mercedes, Audi, and VW. VW got upset because they felt having BlueTec on the back of the Jetta harmed the TDI brand image, and thus after 2007 VW decided to develop their own (failed) emissions system, thus starting the cheat. If all that is true, VW is going to get hosed in court.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
None of these things have made my new .:R any less fun :) Bummer though, on the way home from work today, the R32 that I usually see on the trip home was on the shoulder. Looks like some shitheel sideswiped him. They didn't look too aggro though, so might have actually just been an oops. Definite low speed hit.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

EngineerSean posted:

I dunno, I got a personal letter from Micheal Horn saying that they'd fix it as soon as possible, so everything will be right again one day.

Did he actually sign yours? On my letter, his signature was in blue ink. That's how I know it was real!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kramdar posted:

Did he actually sign yours? On my letter, his signature was in blue ink. That's how I know it was real!

Yeah it made me laugh.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Do states even test for NOx? Someone was telling me the colorado emissions test simply looks at how many particles are coming out of the vehicle by looking at how much light is blocked.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Withnail posted:

Do states even test for NOx? Someone was telling me the colorado emissions test simply looks at how many particles are coming out of the vehicle by looking at how much light is blocked.

I am pretty sure it varies by municipality in Colorado. In Jefferson county and Denver county you get a full emissions report so I don't think this is accurate in those places.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, in interest of not flagging a TD1 code on my 2000mi GTI I've ordered a JB1 and a eBay downpipe. Should be good for 300whp / 350ftlb and $500 total. Later on will be the Golf-R (IS38) turbo swap when they have drop-in tunes for them. Supposed to be >400hp.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, in interest of not flagging a TD1 code on my 2000mi GTI I've ordered a JB1 and a eBay downpipe. Should be good for 300whp / 350ftlb and $500 total. Later on will be the Golf-R (IS38) turbo swap when they have drop-in tunes for them. Supposed to be >400hp.

My friend , have you heard the good word of Borg Warner? http://www.full-race.com/ may borg warners light shine over you.

edit: they dont make kits for audi/vw, this is awkward.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

My friend , have you heard the good word of Borg Warner? http://www.full-race.com/ may borg warners light shine over you.

edit: they dont make kits for audi/vw, this is awkward.

Stock GTI/Golf-R turbos are Borg Warners. :) Pretty much the newest tech, too.
I work a mile or two from Full Race.

e: gently caress, they are IHIs

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 10, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there an automotive company that hasn't at one point put an IHI turbo in their cars?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

spog posted:

You could get a tuning box:

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and...chip_P6455.html

Gives good performance, has multiple maps on a single box and the advantage that you can unplug it before taking the car in for servicing and avoid warranty issues.

I've poked around on some the sites that make tuning boxes, but I haven't found anything specific for the 2015 sportwagen tdi with the ea288.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Withnail posted:

I've poked around on some the sites that make tuning boxes, but I haven't found anything specific for the 2015 sportwagen tdi with the ea288.

Have you tried emailing them and asking them if they have one?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Yeah, shooting off some emails

Edit: looks like this is the one people are talking about for the mk7: http://dieseltuning.ca/product/active-cr-12/

Withnail fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

ya they are ihi's, and ihi is utter trash ( from my subaru experience)