Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Pellisworth posted:

Up to you. Post a map with religious map maybe? If the HRE is really divided religiously and a mess it might not be worthwhile to spend a lot of energy on it.

However, since you're now Emperor, you can add your provinces to the HRE and it's probably a good idea to add your capital provinces so you're a permanent member. At the very least you can then enjoy the benefits.

A screenshot with the HRE window (showing reforms and such) along with a religious view of the HRE would help

The Reformations took a long time to fire, but Saxony and Bohemia are fully Protestant and Austria's just started the Reformed heresy. Pretty much all the electors is in favour of the second reform, so if I add my provinces to the HRE I could easily pass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Watched the secret stream. Random New World is looking good. Excited for things like the Crimson Empire.

I'd sort of like to see a pool of pre-defined flags (maybe seperated by continent/religion group to seperate out Christian/Islamic symbols) that the generator could pull from. Like first it assigns all the vanilla native American flags to random countries in the New World and maybe some unique fantasy flags, and only once they are all used up does the generator start generating the "RED HORSE ON CYAN AND PURPLE STRIPES" that the random flag maker vomits out.

Like, you could probably ask the community to come up with nice looking fantasy flags based off the following categories:
Christian Europe
Islam
Africa
Asia
Native America

and come up with hundreds of cool looking flags that the random generator could use. Add in a flag browser so players could pick from them, and have the current flag generator be a fallback thing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can make some nice flags with the current maker but most of them look like absolute rear end in the tiny view next to units. Also the random generated ones are invariably eye-searingly bad

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Is the Crimson Empire a reference to something? It feels like it is but I'm not getting it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

YoSaff posted:

The Reformations took a long time to fire, but Saxony and Bohemia are fully Protestant and Austria's just started the Reformed heresy. Pretty much all the electors is in favour of the second reform, so if I add my provinces to the HRE I could easily pass it.

You're early enough and it looks like the HRE is salvagable enough that you could probably pass most of the reforms within ~100-150 years if you get to it. Clear out any unecessary relations slots to make room for alliances and royal marriages to electors. I can't quite tell what is Saxony/Bohemia/Brandenburg on that map but focus on declaring war on the protestant electors to revoke their electorship or convert their religion. Give elector titles to smaller Catholic nations. Keep an eye out for smaller protestant or reformed nations in the empire that you can diplo convert. Also as long as you are sure that you'll be reelected (4 votes is always enough, 3 is usually enough for incumbent emperors because at least two electors will vote for themselves) you should always have your king leading troops in battle, the more he dies the more IA you get. Obviously dont do this if you have a terrible heir (either bad stats, or young enough to need a regency council)

edit: also add your capital to the HRE and slowly add provinces whenever you need a small boost to pass reforms, dont just add them all at once.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

YoSaff posted:

Are lucky nations off?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Is the Crimson Empire a reference to something? It feels like it is but I'm not getting it.

Its where the Crimson King holds his court, obviously.

New mission: "Conquer Midworld".

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YoSaff posted:

Earlier than I thought and not too much of a mess.

Definitely add your capital, being a permanent member of the HRE will mean you can attack other members without calling in the Emperor, and you get the benefits from reforms.

It will be a fair bit of effort to straighten out the HRE and the Reformation and League war will be fun, but you're Italy and should be a goddamn monster.

Edit: 420 Gank Mid gave you some good advice, if you decide to try and play Emperor and have any questions on HRE management post back and I'm sure we can give you some more detailed advice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, a little bit of an update on Venice -> Byzantium, it's going much better second time around.

various observations--

You want to convert to Greek and Orthodox ASAP. Don't bother waiting for the Dominican Inquisition unique event (gives +2 Heretic Tolerance, +10% Religious Unity or -2 Heretic Tolerance +1% Missionary Strength) that is Catholic-specific. It's really the two +0.3/year RT bonuses you want, I waited too long and it basically became impossible to convert in my last game.

Venice and Byzantium both have poo poo-tier troops, or at least compared to most of your big neighbors. Venice has really low manpower, once you form Byzantium this becomes less of an issue but you still only have 5% Discipline for army quality bonuses. You will need a TON of mercs especially for your early wars. Expect to take unfavorable casualties against the Ottomans pretty much up until the day you 100% annex them. Merrrcs.

I hadn't really noticed this before, but Venice -> Byz gets mega Goods Produced bonuses. This is hands-down the best economic modifier, it's effectively +10% Production AND Trade Efficiency but is also multiplicative with those two. Oh and it modifies gold income too, it's very good. I got +10% from Admin ideas, +10% from Plutocratic, +5% Byzantine NIs, +10% if the Guilds faction is in power for 25-35% total. That's ENORMOUS.

Basically once you form Byz you are super stable with your religious bonuses and rich as gently caress. Your army kinda sucks though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Poland-Lithuania is loving disgraceful: A Short Story

There was this loving awful principality called Novgorod. Novgorod, being an rear end in a top hat, would band together with other assholes, namely Poland-Lithuania. After having suffered the smackdown of a lifetime by Muscovy, they held a few provinces together. Years later, Finland would be released by a tactical blunder made by Sweden, and the Finns were all too eager to be under the awesomeness of St George kicking rear end by the Orthodox and True Church in Russia. The insidious assholeness of Novgorod, made exponentially worse by years of resentment, made them declare war against the poor Finns, dragging Muscovy and Poland-Lithuania into the mess.

Poland-Lithuania, being the OP scumbags and baby-eating peasants that they are, had those loving huge stacks going around and banding together and suffering attrition separately, as well as having the blessings of the Lucky Factor, which only expanded their supreme assholeness. The brave Muscovites rallied together and scorched earth, dragged them around and bled them as much as possible while tanking their manpower. Of course, even with zero manpower, both assholes went on raging their combined 50k armies around.

Novgorod, in a move of unparalled supreme douchebaggery by the time, went on and reclaimed their old capital, allegedly slapping their rotten dicks in the faces of the finnish diplomats, acting not unlike those tiny weakling bastards who happen to be friends somehow with the local bully (aka Poland).

It is said that a while afterwards, Novgorod was recaptured by the Muscovites and their ruler was executed by the greatest wedgie ever applied in human history. Counting with the support of their Polish friends, the Novgorodians did not realize that the PLC was completely loving drained after fighting three brutal winters and that made the good ol' Holy Roman Emperor all too eager to give some payback.

The last paragraph seems to be the hopes of the author, according to research.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You know what would be a neat DLC idea? A challenge creator. Like how achievements are meant to get an in-game browser to show you which ones you are eligible for during a playthrough, make it so that players can create custom challenges - IE as X tag conquer Y region - and share them. Or you can share custom setups without going to the Steam workshop.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I just found out why Admin, Exploration, Defensive Muscowy is more fun than Religious, Exploration, Defensive. Since I can't convert poo poo fast enough I mostly went for Sweden, Lithuania and the Baltic, so I got tons of AE with Europe, cue coalition war Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland-Lithuania, Brandenburg and some other HRE members against me and my best buddies Austria-Hungary. Just let them come to Russian winter hell and enjoy their war exhaustion. Most fun coalition war I've had, can't wait for Admin 12 so I can get religious and own the rest of the Steppe tough.

Not sure if Admin, Defensive, Religious would work and just dumping all those diplo points into culture conversion.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tahirovic posted:

Not sure if Admin, Defensive, Religious would work and just dumping all those diplo points into culture conversion.

Don't skip exploration. Anyone who can colonize relatively uncontested, should. It's the ABC of EU4.

Always be colonizing. Or conquering. Preferably both.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any recommendations for the Re-reconquista? I've done like 10-15 restarts without really getting to a secure position. Tried to stay and attack Spain while they're fighting France+Aragon but they are often allied to Portugal and together they can beat me quite easily despite fighting France. I've also tried to escape to North Africa by attacking Tlemcen in order to be able to colonize and move to N but I never get far enough since both Portugal and Spain attack my African holdings, plus most of the provinces are dirt poor.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
More Austria questions:

Was I an idiot to take Humanism instead of Religious? I feel like I need to be smashing the heretic princes and stomping out Protestantism and Reformists wherever they pop up, since they tank my Authority gain. Would Religious have been a better choice for this?

Or does it not matter? It's 1550 and I haven't seen much of the Thirty Years War stuff.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You'll be wanting to keep the princes Catholic, your own country doesn't matter much for that except in so far as you might be in a position where you could convert a Centre of Reformation.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Star posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for the Re-reconquista? I've done like 10-15 restarts without really getting to a secure position. Tried to stay and attack Spain while they're fighting France+Aragon but they are often allied to Portugal and together they can beat me quite easily despite fighting France. I've also tried to escape to North Africa by attacking Tlemcen in order to be able to colonize and move to N but I never get far enough since both Portugal and Spain attack my African holdings, plus most of the provinces are dirt poor.

That achievement is extremely hard. Are you able to ally the Ottomans?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Baudin posted:

That achievement is extremely hard. Are you able to ally the Ottomans?

Too far away and too weak, at least in the beginning. I think I can once I manage to actually eat up some of the other North African powers but I haven't survived that far yet.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Star posted:

Too far away and too weak, at least in the beginning. I think I can once I manage to actually eat up some of the other North African powers but I haven't survived that far yet.

I did this in 1.12, YMMV.

Ally Morocco and Tunis, fabricate on Tlemclen.
DoW Tlemclen, let your allies fight, you siege.
Take as much of Tlemclen as possible, core it up.
At this point Otto turned friendly and I snagged an alliance.
Fabricate on Morocco, a CB on them might be useful soon.
Now, either Portugal attacks Morocco or Castile attacks you. If it's the former, consider backstabbing Morocco and DoW them yourself, take two provinces that let you release two different vassals. If it's the latter, don't bother with troops in Iberia, deny them in Africa as best you can. I managed a white peace, but don't remember what made them settle for that after occupying all my Iberian holdings.
Fight Morocco some more, feed and integrate vassals.
Turn on Tunis, if they're allied to Otto DoW another of their allies.
Always be on the lookout for Aragon being weak, have a claim on that Island of theirs, if you're lucky you might get to release Catalunya!

I remember I had the luck on my side so some of this stuff, like the white peace in the first Castilian DoW, might be hard to recreate. And if France takes a province you need and then a monster Spain forms...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The problem is that I never succeed in allying the ottomans. They never want to ally since I am too far away and too weak.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like getting a malus for "navy size" (in the AI logic for determining an alliance) when you're a landlocked nation is pretty dumb.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MrBling posted:

I feel like getting a malus for "navy size" (in the AI logic for determining an alliance) when you're a landlocked nation is pretty dumb.

Maybe the AI wants an ally who can help them with naval wars?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What should my second idea group be as the Ottos? I have humanist, and in the past Admin would have been my second idea group, but you can't do that now. I was thinking maybe Influence or a military idea (Quantity?). Any suggestions?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bishop Rodan posted:

What should my second idea group be as the Ottos? I have humanist, and in the past Admin would have been my second idea group, but you can't do that now. I was thinking maybe Influence or a military idea (Quantity?). Any suggestions?
I really like Diplomatic but I know a lot of people like Influence. I would wait to do a Military idea so you can stay on par with tech, since your NIs and events give you great Military bonuses. One of the reasons I love Diplomatic is because the Humanist + Diplomatic Policy gives you 10% Accepted Culture Threshold and +20% better relations over time, at a cost of a diplo point.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tahirovic posted:

So I just found out why Admin, Exploration, Defensive Muscowy is more fun than Religious, Exploration, Defensive. Since I can't convert poo poo fast enough I mostly went for Sweden, Lithuania and the Baltic, so I got tons of AE with Europe, cue coalition war Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland-Lithuania, Brandenburg and some other HRE members against me and my best buddies Austria-Hungary. Just let them come to Russian winter hell and enjoy their war exhaustion. Most fun coalition war I've had, can't wait for Admin 12 so I can get religious and own the rest of the Steppe tough.

Just as an aside, I'd wager extra diplo points would be better spent on development than culture conversion. But I'd much rather have Explo than Defense at that point, so a moot point for me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Just as an aside, I washer extra diplo points would be better spent on development than culture conversion.
Developing fur :flashfap:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Starting an MP game shortly with a friend to help him get into EU4. What are a couple of good countries to play that capture most or all of the nuances of the game?
He wanted to do a Holland start but being that that's now a mess of vassals and PUs in a hostile neighbourhood I doubt he will have much fun with his game. Any good allies of Holland I (or he) can play instead? Open to non-western nations as well if there's a particularly fun start somewhere in Asia or Africa.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hambilderberglar posted:

Starting an MP game shortly with a friend to help him get into EU4. What are a couple of good countries to play that capture most or all of the nuances of the game?
He wanted to do a Holland start but being that that's now a mess of vassals and PUs in a hostile neighbourhood I doubt he will have much fun with his game. Any good allies of Holland I (or he) can play instead? Open to non-western nations as well if there's a particularly fun start somewhere in Asia or Africa.
Dont let a new player start in Holland; it is small, a junior partner in a PU, and in the HRE. He will hate the game. Be a buddy combo like Portugal and Spain Castille. Let him be Portugal and you can be his protector. If you get into wars he can try to help but he probably wont get into any of his own wars. If he does you will be there to back him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

A friend of mine and I were Burgundy and England, respectively. This was when France was way stronger and he still managed alright. We destroyed France together, then he formed the Netherlands and we colonized some stuff before getting bored.

You could try being little HRE bros too, Brandenburg and Saxony maybe?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I tried a game where a friend of mine played Britanny and I played France. An early war against Provence to teach him the ropes of land warfare, he can help you out against England, and you can help him unite the celtic lands of Ireland, and later Wales/Scotland while you take England for yourself. This gives you some tangible end goal that isn't in the HRE. And like Portugal, he can of course also colonize.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Dont let a new player start in Holland; it is small, a junior partner in a PU, and in the HRE. He will hate the game. Be a buddy combo like Portugal and Spain Castille. Let him be Portugal and you can be his protector. If you get into wars he can try to help but he probably wont get into any of his own wars. If he does you will be there to back him.
Spain/portugal was the obvious choice, I was hoping there were some other immediately obvious ones as alternatives, even if they're a bit further separated geographically.

Edit: something that forces a meaningful interaction with the trade system and colonization would be fun. He's getting to understand CK2 reasonably well and the trade routes and colonization are the features he's not had much interaction with. (Or a navy that does more than raise galleys to move guys)

E2: ^^^ Thanks, Brandenburg/Saxony sounds like a fun time. Brandenburg can form Prussia afaik, does Saxony have a super powered version of itself as well?

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 10, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I wouldn't really recommend Portugal as they start so isolated there's fairly little to do except colonize. And while it's fun to dominate trade, trade is probably the most difficult thing for a newcomer to grasp so jumping right into a huge trading nation is probably not the best first game choice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

E2: ^^^ Thanks, Brandenburg/Saxony sounds like a fun time. Brandenburg can form Prussia afaik, does Saxony have a super powered version of itself as well?

Saxony can also form Prussia, but aside from Germany there's no obvious other formable for it. Presumably if Brandenburg goes to be Prussia, Saxony should look at eating Bohemia and becoming HRE.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It's making me crabby that I'll keep thinking "oooh, maybe I'll play a game of EUIV as Country X", and then I remember playing Country X will be much cooler with feature Y which is coming in the unannounced expansion and I go play something else instead.

I am my own worst enemy. :negative:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kanfy posted:

I wouldn't really recommend Portugal as they start so isolated there's fairly little to do except colonize. And while it's fun to dominate trade, trade is probably the most difficult thing for a newcomer to grasp so jumping right into a huge trading nation is probably not the best first game choice.
THis is a good point about trade and only really being able to colonize. However with the colonizing stuff he would learn about using boats, transpoirting armeis, and simple fights that shouldnt be too crazy.

Fintilgin posted:

It's making me crabby that I'll keep thinking "oooh, maybe I'll play a game of EUIV as Country X", and then I remember playing Country X will be much cooler with feature Y which is coming in the unannounced expansion and I go play something else instead.

I am my own worst enemy. :negative:
The struggle is real.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 10, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Star posted:

I once tried a granada play and I got declared by Genoa in the first 3 months or so of the game. My allies Algiers and Tunis were more than able to deal with them and by grabbing Corsica I was able to ally the Ottomans. That's a 1 in a million chance though... I've never managed to pull it off.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bohemia got the Netherlands from the death of the Duke of Burgundy.

My games have been quite novel as of late.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I haven't played this game in forever and it's changed a lot since then. Is there a good youtube guide or other general tutorial that's current with all the expansions that you guys would recommend, just to get some basic proficiency under my belt?

Also, changing lucky nations status doesn't lock you out of achievements, right?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Transmetropolitan posted:

Bohemia got the Netherlands from the death of the Duke of Burgundy.

My games have been quite novel as of late.

My first Venice -> Byzantium run, Brandenburg got all the HRE Burgundian lands. Keep in mind they're Lucky now. That was pretty scary :stare:

prussian advisor posted:

So I haven't played this game in forever and it's changed a lot since then. Is there a good youtube guide or other general tutorial that's current with all the expansions that you guys would recommend, just to get some basic proficiency under my belt?

Also, changing lucky nations status doesn't lock you out of achievements, right?

You have to have lucky nations on historical for achievements.

For starter nations with your friend I would do France + anyone decent sized. I'd recommend against starting in the HRE, unless your buddy is really interested in that and willing to read up on the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

double nine posted:

I once tried a granada play and I got declared by Genoa in the first 3 months or so of the game. My allies Algiers and Tunis were more than able to deal with them and by grabbing Corsica I was able to ally the Ottomans. That's a 1 in a million chance though... I've never managed to pull it off.

It seems like something like that have to happen in order to make it. I actually manage to evacuate the European continent and migrate to the Caribbean but Spain and GB followed me soon after and I have really no chance to fight back since I only have around 8 provinces and the moment they colonize next to me they turn hostile. It was a good try but it's time to restart, again...

• Locked thread