Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Eric the Mauve posted:

The proper way to do the Thieves' Guild questline is to install the Destroy the Thieves Guild mod and do that questline instead. Still waiting for the much needed update that allows you to burn Riften to the ground, piss on the ashes and then salt the earth, though.

Is this actually a good mod? The Nexus page makes it seem kind of slapdash and janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No, it's slapdash and janky. But its purpose is noble and just.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Has anyone ever figured out a good way to fix that loving awful, persistent spell sound looping bug? I've got some lovely fire spell sound ringing in my ears and reloading/restarting and goofy 'sexchange' options don't seem to work. I have a feeling it has something to do with Serana (as it seems 90% of the bugs do) and her lovely firey horse. I'm not even sure which mod adds it, but it has overtaken the 'yes? what do you need?' Serana spam bug for most annoying sound bug thus far.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
If it helps, the flaming horse is from Convenient Horses.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's a vanilla bug related to her lightning spell and her hood or whatever, something asinine like that. I used to run with a mod that gave her a frost spell instead or something and that fixed it, see if you can find something like that, probably one of the Serana overhauls. Also there is the 100% necessary and passionately named: Serana SHUT UP over at http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29922/ that makes her not go "yes? yes? yes? something you want? yes? yes?" all the time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm glad the same janky engine used for morrowind will be used in fallout 4

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do we know why Bethesda isn't bothering about using a different engine? Maybe one that isn't made of biscuits and Scotch tape?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Because iterative updates to an engine is a thing.

It's still called Gamebryo, but it ostensibly is not the same engine used for Morrowind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Maybe if they did something about the Creation Engine's memory allocation issues, it'd be alright.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Maybe if they did something about the Creation Engine's memory allocation issues, it'd be alright.

They're game developers! They didn't train to handle this kind of work!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's not a good idea to put a new layer of paint on a house with a cracked foundation

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do we know why Bethesda isn't bothering about using a different engine? Maybe one that isn't made of biscuits and Scotch tape?
they're barely capable of making a functional game with this one after 13 years and you want to see what they'd manage if they had to learn a new one?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Are there any overhauls for Skyrim along the lines of OOO for Oblivion? I didn't enjoy Oblivion until I tried OOO.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why don't they just have Id Software (which they own) make them an engine? Carmack is gone but they have that guy from Crytek and many other talented programmers. I mean they're not good for much else anymore, why not have them make the TES VI engine?

Also is there an Oblivion modding/troubleshooting thread? I've been having random crashes with Morroblivion and I don't trust non-goons because of all the time I've spent troubleshooting Skyrim, this thread seemed to be the only one where people actually knew what they were talking about.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Oblivion kind of died, either this one or general Elder Scrolls one. This should be more fitting.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

We all like to bitch about Skyrim problems but Skyrim is way more robust and stable than Oblivion ever was. My dream TES experience would be a completed Skywind with PerMa and other bits of my current modset (I hope they'll be compatible :ohdear:).

But I'm having frequent random CTDs, often when transitioning between cells. They're not repeatable, and the 4GB executable patch reduced their frequency, so I suspect they are memory related. I found a couple issues that snuck into my load order (mostly due to the really horrific state of mod installers for Oblivion), so I guess i'll have to fix them, play some more, and check again. Are there any people who have used Unnecessary Violence who can tell me how to disable disarming? I guess it's a cool effect in theory but it's incredibly frustrating to lose an ebony broadsword and have it disappear into the ether (to the point that I gave myself an Oblivion ebony sword to replace my lost Morrowind ebony sword, and had to replace that with the console around four times).

I really like in Morrowind/Morroblivion how you can find poo poo just lying around in some dungeons. I found two awesome rings (mentor's ring and lifestone, one of which massively fortifies willpower and intelligence and one of which adds a bunch of HP) poking around in ancient tombs, got an amazing dragonscale shield from some Telvanni agent I killed, and looted an ebony sword from a stronghold (that I've had to summon replacements for :argh:).

And before the ebony sword I had a Dwemer jinksword and lost that too. :argh:

(and before anyone asks, no it didn't break, I keep close tabs on my weapon condition)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 10, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Those of you who liked my Fat Idiot Son mod concept: Not actively working on it yet but I think I came up with a pretty goddamn solid way for you to get him in the game that shouldn't be too technically complicated.

A courier brings you a letter. It's from a hagraven. She says one of her minions captured your fat idiot kid but he's way too gross and annoying to eat or sacrifice to her bird god, and asks that you please come to her cave and collect him as soon as possible. You go to the cave and the hagraven is non-hostile, and the fat kid is sitting in a little cage. As soon as you open the cage door (which wasn't even locked), the quest completes and it activates the kid's AI, which tells him to follow you forever no matter what. He can't be dismissed or told to wait somewhere. You're stuck with him from that moment forward.

This way you can simply ignore the note if you don't want the fat kid tripping you up in another playthrough, but once you pick him up there's no undo button.

Quite by accident, I already found a way to make an AI package that forces an NPC to follow you non-stop. I tried to make one where an NPC would flee from the player if the player was in the same cell, but by telling the NPC to flee from PlayerRef and setting the cell to "any," it caused the NPC to appear next to you regardless of where you are and run around like an idiot. Is that perfect or what?

I only lament that this mod wasn't completed in time for Lizard Wizard's LP of Skyrim because it would have been perfect :allears:

Also LW is using SPERG :)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've encountered a repeatable Oblivion crash on the loading screen while trying to enter the Vilverin Canosel. Load order:

00 oblivion.esm
01 Morrowind_ob.esm
02 Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm [Version 1.35Beta]
03 Toaster Says Share v3.esm
04 All Natural Base.esm [Version 1.34]
05 Knights.esp
06 DLCShiveringIsles.esp
07 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.5.1]
++ UOPS Additional Changes.esp
08 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
09 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]
++ USIPS Additional Changes.esp
0A Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.5]
++ MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
** RTFemaleReplacerV12.esp
0B UVIII.esp
0C Morrowind_ob.esp
0D Morrowind_ob - UCWUS.esp [Version 1.1]
0E Morrowind_ob - Morroblivion Maps.esp
0F Morrowind_ob - Conversation.esp
10 Morrowind_ob - MorroblivionTreeReplacer.esp
** All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp [Version 1.35]
11 All Natural.esp [Version 1.35]
12 All Natural - Real Lights.esp [Version 1.35]
13 All Natural - SI.esp [Version 1.35]
14 _Ren_BeautyPack_onlyhairs.esp
15 Oblivion XP.esp
16 ExternalCamera.esp
17 Shdw_Armor Set_Sotonhorian.esp
18 MorroblivionNewMap.esp
19 Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 2.0]
1A Oblivion_XP_-_Morroblivion.esp
1B RealSwords - Breton HI.esp
1C RealSwords - Breton LO.esp
++ Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - Knights of Nine.esp
1D RealSwords - Breton LO-NPC.esp
++ Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - No Daedric Items.esp
1E Weapons Of Morrowind.esp [Version 1.0]
1F RealSwords - Breton HI-NPC.esp
20 Gizmodian - Vicious Heart.esp
21 SC- My Canine Companion.esp
22 Toaster Says Share Faction Recruitment.esp
23 TSS Custom Companion Template.esp
24 SetEssentialActors.esp
25 Immersive Weapons.esp
26 MorroblivionTreeReplacer.esp
27 MorroblivionLoadingScreens.esp [Version 0.3]
28 Morroblivion - Buyable Houses.esp
29 Days&Months.esp
2A Morrowind_ob - Chargen and Transport Mod.esp [Version 11]
2B Muggrug's Sub tropical south.esp
2C Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.35Beta]
++ Weapon Improvement Project.esp [Version 1.9]
2D Bashed Patch, 0.esp
2E OblivionReloaded.esp
2F Streamline 3.0.esp

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking of Skyrim's engine being held together with chewing gum and twist ties:

Last night my heroic sorcerer Doug finally met Lord Harkon. Harkon demonstrated his awesome power by turning into a vampire lord, at which point his body disappeared and left me beholding a little pair of flappy wings hovering in the air. Yeah, wow, nice magic blood, guy.

Obviously some kind of mod conflict, so I spent the next several hours looking for ANY mod that affects vampire lords. NPC edit? Nope. Race record? Nope. Armor? Armor Addon? Outfit? Nope nope nope. Found a custom skeleton, tried disabling that, nothing. Tried disabling custom textures, nothing. What the gently caress is interfering with vampire lords? Did some googling, found several people with the same issue, going back several years and NO answers.

I was talking to a friend about it and he said "maybe it's your new vampire mod. Because you definitely need more problems with that." And I was like, gently caress you dude, don't even joke about that. My mod doesn't edit vampire lords. It's only simple NPC edits, and the vampire lord Harkon is a totally different NPC!

I did more googling and found a guy who pinned the issue down to what appeared to be a custom player race mod. Hard to say for sure, because the mod he linked as the culprit had been deleted, but it sounded like a custom race thing. So wait, changing a human character's race causes the vampire lord race to glitch out somehow? How are those even related? Do I have anything that messes with Harkon's race?

...Oh yeah. I do. My own mod.

Disabled it... problem solved!

:negative:

OK, so I switched Harkon from "Nord" to "Nord Vampire" so he'll have fangs, and somehow this broke his transformation scene? How is a vampire race not compatible with vampire lords? That's the main thing they do, right? You play as a vampire race and you turn into a vampire lord. RIGHT? How the gently caress does this not work? What the gently caress is going on inside this ridiculous game engine? :bang:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Probably because Harkon's whole transformation is some special case, so his vampire lord status is likely different from the player's because of reasons.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, I might have to dig into like his quest stages and scripts and stuff to look for a fix. Not that I know jack poo poo about any of that.

Seems like people ran into this bug with player characters, too, though. Different races don't have separate vampire lord equivalents, so I'm having trouble discerning the connection.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I just saw a sex animation mod that has flowcharts to help you figure it out. Modding for this game sure is getting advanced.

Looks like a math problem.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

10 in
20 out
goto 10

Am I doing it right?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I will not abide this math smut.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Jesus, are you having virtual sex, Or piloting an AC-10 Warthog?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

potato, potahtoh

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's the better major city overhaul: JK or the Dawn of Skyrim?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's the better major city overhaul: JK or the Dawn of Skyrim?

What I've ended up with is Dawn for the major cities and JK for the towns after using them both for a while. I think Dawn has better compatibility with other mods that add stuff to cities and overall I ended up liking that series better, but JKs is worth using for the smaller towns, especially as a substitute for ETaC which ended up just being too much to deal with even though I really liked it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

What I've ended up with is Dawn for the major cities and JK for the towns after using them both for a while. I think Dawn has better compatibility with other mods that add stuff to cities and overall I ended up liking that series better, but JKs is worth using for the smaller towns, especially as a substitute for ETaC which ended up just being too much to deal with even though I really liked it.

That sounds like a good compromise, thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I picked Dawn of Skyrim for the big main cities, and I made a merged plugin for JK's minor cities (except for Rorikstead, since I'm already using Superior Rorikstead).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 11, 2015

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I've encountered a repeatable Oblivion crash on the loading screen while trying to enter the Vilverin Canosel. Load order:

From some googling it looks like this is due to a bad OOO install somehow.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there any way to fix it? "A bad OOO install" doesn't mean a whole lot by itself.

E: I loving hate installing Oblivion mods. Why couldn't they do things like Skyrim mods where it's an absolutely idiot-proof scripted install process, especially if you use :nexus:?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 11, 2015

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there any way to fix it? "A bad OOO install" doesn't mean a whole lot by itself.

E: I loving hate installing Oblivion mods. Why couldn't they do things like Skyrim mods where it's an absolutely idiot-proof scripted install process, especially if you use :nexus:?

Right now my suggestion is to install this this mod, which while designed for Fallout NV will also work with oblivion, and see if the problem goes away.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That doesn't work.

E: I guess I'll be going back to Skyrim tomorrow unless someone can come up with a breakthrough. At least I have one TES game that works.

If someone could hack Morrowind/Oblivion's stat system into Skyrim, now that would really be something.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 11, 2015

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've run into a graphical problem: I started an Orc character and used Berserker Rage, which of course tints the screen and adds blurring and bloom, but when the effect wore off the blurring and bloom effects remain on screen and never disappear. Can't find anything about this online, oddly enough. Anyone had this before?

code:
# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
SPERG.esm
Night Eye Overhaul.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
LegacyoftheDragonbornV13.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp
ADS.esp
Traps Make Noise.esp
RaceMenu.esp
UltimateCombat.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
Beards.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Paralyze.esp
Rayg_ShutUpMirmulnir.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
SPERG-DB.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Soul Gems Differ.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
Distant DetailHF.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
Brows.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
Nausicaa's Tweaker.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
Moss Rocks_DB.esp
SPERG-DG.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
Point The Way.esp
SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp
HearthfireChimneys.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
AOS.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
IHSS.esp
SPERG.esp
SPERG Weapons and Armor Complete.esp
SPERG Weapon Styles.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
Night Eye Overhaul.esp
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Inigo.esp
NoxUE2.00.esp
UltimateDragons.esp
WheelsOfLull.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
DBM_CCOR_patch.esp
Merged Patch.esp
SlightlyLessUselessForkAndKnife.esp
PilgrimsDelight.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
MzarkWonders.esp
Aethernautics.esp
Equipping Overhaul.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
STEP Core Patch.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
SkyUI.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
AOS_Reduced_Reverb_Addon.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You might try 'showracemenu' and don't change your race, obviously.

If that doesn't work, try 'player.tai' twice.

Also, noticed you're using Night Eye Overhaul. I recommend Predator Vision over that.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fargin Icehole posted:

lmfao

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Speaking of Oblivion, is there any equivalent of STEP for either Oblivion or Morrowind? Just a nice set of fixes and graphical niceties in one place, and no additional content?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Morrowind has the Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul, which has a really wacky installer that takes control of your computer and requires UAC to be disabled, but installs everything automatically. For Oblivion I know of no such thing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

You might try 'showracemenu' and don't change your race, obviously.

If that doesn't work, try 'player.tai' twice.

Also, noticed you're using Night Eye Overhaul. I recommend Predator Vision over that.

Neither of those seem to have done anything. I could always not play an orc, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've had the same issue with the blur persisting after leaving werewolf form.

• Locked thread