Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

What should my second idea group be as the Ottos? I have humanist, and in the past Admin would have been my second idea group, but you can't do that now. I was thinking maybe Influence or a military idea (Quantity?). Any suggestions?

It really depends on if you want to try to keep the janissaries or not. If you do, you're going to need 70+ army tradition to avoid the revolt, and for that you'll need Defensive or Quality, probably both. Aristocratic wouldn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cynic Jester posted:

Don't skip exploration. Anyone who can colonize relatively uncontested, should. It's the ABC of EU4.

Always be colonizing. Or conquering. Preferably both.

That can wait for the 4th idea or be done with just the NI colonist. All you get are lovely 3 development provinces, with lovely terrain modifiers on top. If you're lucky you get decent trade goods but seriously, Siberia is loving useless. Skipping explo to take Religious earlier helps you convert the actual useful provinces in Persia.

At this point, 120 years into my Russia game I am really not sure exploration was worth it. And yes, developing some of your nice terrain production provinces would probably be a better use of the points too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tahirovic posted:

That can wait for the 4th idea or be done with just the NI colonist. All you get are lovely 3 development provinces, with lovely terrain modifiers on top. If you're lucky you get decent trade goods but seriously, Siberia is loving useless. Skipping explo to take Religious earlier helps you convert the actual useful provinces in Persia.

At this point, 120 years into my Russia game I am really not sure exploration was worth it. And yes, developing some of your nice terrain production provinces would probably be a better use of the points too.

I'm supportive of a later-idea Russian colonial power because you can still grab the Philippines and Taiwan pretty trivially most games, but first 3 might not be the top choice.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
State of the world in 1605. And its a weird one.

No colonisation in Africa other than a few bits near Mali. Brazil is independent and Mamluks are still alive. I wasn't really paying attention but I guess Ottomans got in a bad war early on, because they never really got strong.

I have a force limit of 242 and max manpower of 218k. Tempted to take Quantity at some point just to see how dumb it can get and I guess I need it if I want that 1 million manpower achievement. I didn't the "Princess in the Castle" achievement this game though.

Also yes, that is France full occupying mainland Spain in a war over Navarra. I've basically had no actual allies all game, but I have had various points Polotsk, Livonian Order, Teutonic Order and Moldavia as vassals.

There isn't really a lot of challenge left here, but I guess I might as well finally get that achievement for dismantling the HRE and the one for 200 provinces.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I'm rooting for that Bukhara.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tahirovic posted:

So I'm the guy that talked through the Exploration opener, but I'm not sure I explained why I liked it so much. Let's talk about the upside of Siberia.

A lot of the time the Crimea - Ottomans or Kazan - Timurids - Uzbek power blocks will form. These can all be dealt with, but it means that you need to put off conquering them until either opportunity presents or they get weaker. You can go west, but at some point you'll run out of room to expand - you chew into Sweden, wipe out LO, Commonwealth is there and pretty sizable, and you beat up Ryazan, Golden Horde, etc. Then it tends to slow down.

The main reason I started messing with Exploration is to get access to all the countries east of Uzbek. So we're talking Chagatai, Oirat, and the misc groups the Timurids tend to implode into. Sure I could no CB those guys but I'd much rather take the exploration opener, scout out all of Siberia, and through the use of strategic colonizing do two things:

Have one colonist or 'set' of colonists that's always going east as far as possible. Due to borders and adjacency this is important because it gates how quickly you get to the east coast of China. The other colonist (colonists when you get your third with the NI) are there to colonize south from key spots and get you borders with d00dz that you can jack for their land, way before you would otherwise get access. That's why I often go Influence as my third idea - it combos nicely with the discount and the sheer amount of vassalization I'm doing. Later on when you can run the -vassal cost policy you can actually integrate two-three vassals at a reasonable cost with regularity.

Here is a screenshot of a solid opener by what I'm going for:

So here's the upside:
1. It's <50 years in and I have the Deus Vult CB, and I have had a conquistador explore Siberia
2. If I declare war on Sibir, annex their northern most provinces including their northeastern one, I can actually start colonizing from that spot and speed up getting to the east coast by 20-30 years
3. Once I do that, when my second colonist comes online I'll colonize slightly south and get a border with Chagatai, at which point I will Deus Vult them

So by 1500 I'm well on my way to the east coast for all those easy horde vassal pickups. You'll tend to get at least 3-4 gold mines from Siberia, which I think you are either glossing over or maybe haven't experienced. If you colonize earlier and get those gold mines up and running by 1550, that's great. If you get them in 1700, well, that's not super useful.

So the Exploration -> Religious basically gives you immediate and easy access to free beer north of Ming. This whole thing used to be way better when Siberia was useful, but that got nerfed hard. Then it also used to be better when Ming would actually implode, but now they rarely do.

General notes on this opener:
I am less and less enthused by this opener because of the way CS changed all the assumptions. Provinces used to be great for manpower - you could get a metric ton of manpower by just conquering all that cheap horde land, and easily start pushing close to 1 million manpower as Russia by accident. Nowadays if you get 1 million it's because you gunned for it from the start, or it's very close to the end of the game. The relative value of powering up in the east and coming back to drown the west in a million cheap infantry dudes went from "kinda viable" to "lol, nope" with CS.

The better way for Russia to go these days, as far as I can tell, is to get to India as fast as possible. No Ming to deal with, and their production provinces work well with what you do. And unfortunately that doesn't really dovetail with the Exploration opener, so this whole thing is less useful than it used to be :(

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hambilderberglar posted:

Starting an MP game shortly with a friend to help him get into EU4. What are a couple of good countries to play that capture most or all of the nuances of the game?
He wanted to do a Holland start but being that that's now a mess of vassals and PUs in a hostile neighbourhood I doubt he will have much fun with his game. Any good allies of Holland I (or he) can play instead? Open to non-western nations as well if there's a particularly fun start somewhere in Asia or Africa.

Ottoman and their historical ally, Crimean horde I think. Any pair of hordes that start adjacent or can get there in a single war might be fun too.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MrBling posted:

There isn't really a lot of challenge left here, but I guess I might as well finally get that achievement for dismantling the HRE and the one for 200 provinces.

If you don't get the dismantling HRE achievement in this run, it also flows pretty naturally from forming Germany, since you've done most of the legwork already.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did get 1 gold province so far, but it's a 1 prod province. Meanwhile if I take admin (only first 2)/defensive/religious and keep the diplo set for 4th I can just take me 50+ development worth of provinces in a single war and convert it quicker, which allows me to get useful provinces quicker. The only upsides to Exploration is that it's a diplo ideaset and doesn't cause AE or OE, but you even have to waste admin points to core those lovely 3 development provinces.

In the end it once again comes down to diplo points being poo poo and admin points being super precious, maybe that needs some more rebalance. I mean I filled a diplo idea but I found I had diplo points spare to boost some of the iron provinces to their next building slot.

Disclaimer: In my game I have Austria as ally since the start (we both rivaled Poland), they got the Hungary PU and the Inheritance before 1450ish. With their help (and at times denmarks) I've beaten the poo poo out of Poland-Lithuania and Crimea/Ottomans early on. This allowed me very easy access to mostly 10+ development same culturegroup, Orthodox provinces. So yes I poo poo on those 3 development Siberia provinces that you need to babysit with 4 infantry and cost a ton of gold.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tahirovic posted:

I did get 1 gold province so far, but it's a 1 prod province. Meanwhile if I take admin (only first 2)/defensive/religious and keep the diplo set for 4th I can just take me 50+ development worth of provinces in a single war and convert it quicker, which allows me to get useful provinces quicker. The only upsides to Exploration is that it's a diplo ideaset and doesn't cause AE or OE, but you even have to waste admin points to core those lovely 3 development provinces.

Disclaimer: In my game I have Austria as ally since the start (we both rivaled Poland), they got the Hungary PU and the Inheritance before 1450ish. With their help (and at times denmarks) I've beaten the poo poo out of Poland-Lithuania and Crimea/Ottomans early on. This allowed me very easy access to mostly 10+ development same culturegroup, Orthodox provinces. So yes I poo poo on those 3 development Siberia provinces that you need to babysit with 4 infantry and cost a ton of gold.

It's not about the provinces themselves it's about being able to wreck and vassalize Chagatai and Oirat in 1520. If you have a super Austria wrecking the Commonwealth and Ottomans then yeah I mean why bother with any of that crap ;)

And that's actually a great example of what I was talking about in regards to Russia / Commonwealth. Because wealthy provinces are actually worth something now, as Russia you are far better off going West and trying to fight Commonwealth / Sweden / Ottomans, than you are screwing around in worthless horde land and in Siberia. But the math on that stuff used to be way different due to the way forcelimits and barracks worked, for instance: sticking a barracks in every lovely Siberian colony you made was actually pretty useful. Now it's totally worthless. So you end up using your mediocre Russian troops fighting Sweden / Prussia / Commonwealth with great generals and ideas, and that feels like a square peg in a round hole to me.

So for most of my considerations, I feel that Commonwealth is in a far better spot with a lot more going for it than Muscovy when you come down to the 'natural' progression path in CS, which is going after developed and specialized provinces. Better access, better power ramp, much better troops and ideas. With Commonwealth you don't even need to consider wasting a pick on Exploration, you just don't bother and go Admin.

[edit]Yeah I agree, the "having to core same continent colonies" felt like one bleh experience too many. I don't think the cost is so bad compared to most - the development is low, Muscowy gets that discount so it ends up being 5-10 admin every few years, that's really insignificant. But combined with the general worthlessness of the territories, the fact that you can't develop them due to the modifiers, and having to core them to boot just made it unappealing in the extreme. Just the rebalance of the colonized land was enough to make Siberia a side option to conquering west / south, now it feels like an inferior option.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rakthar posted:

So I'm the guy that talked through the Exploration opener, but I'm not sure I explained why I liked it so much. Let's talk about the upside of Siberia.

A lot of the time the Crimea - Ottomans or Kazan - Timurids - Uzbek power blocks will form. These can all be dealt with, but it means that you need to put off conquering them until either opportunity presents or they get weaker. You can go west, but at some point you'll run out of room to expand - you chew into Sweden, wipe out LO, Commonwealth is there and pretty sizable, and you beat up Ryazan, Golden Horde, etc. Then it tends to slow down.

The main reason I started messing with Exploration is to get access to all the countries east of Uzbek. So we're talking Chagatai, Oirat, and the misc groups the Timurids tend to implode into. Sure I could no CB those guys but I'd much rather take the exploration opener, scout out all of Siberia, and through the use of strategic colonizing do two things:

Have one colonist or 'set' of colonists that's always going east as far as possible. Due to borders and adjacency this is important because it gates how quickly you get to the east coast of China. The other colonist (colonists when you get your third with the NI) are there to colonize south from key spots and get you borders with d00dz that you can jack for their land, way before you would otherwise get access. That's why I often go Influence as my third idea - it combos nicely with the discount and the sheer amount of vassalization I'm doing. Later on when you can run the -vassal cost policy you can actually integrate two-three vassals at a reasonable cost with regularity.

Here is a screenshot of a solid opener by what I'm going for:

So here's the upside:
1. It's <50 years in and I have the Deus Vult CB, and I have had a conquistador explore Siberia
2. If I declare war on Sibir, annex their northern most provinces including their northeastern one, I can actually start colonizing from that spot and speed up getting to the east coast by 20-30 years
3. Once I do that, when my second colonist comes online I'll colonize slightly south and get a border with Chagatai, at which point I will Deus Vult them

So by 1500 I'm well on my way to the east coast for all those easy horde vassal pickups. You'll tend to get at least 3-4 gold mines from Siberia, which I think you are either glossing over or maybe haven't experienced. If you colonize earlier and get those gold mines up and running by 1550, that's great. If you get them in 1700, well, that's not super useful.

So the Exploration -> Religious basically gives you immediate and easy access to free beer north of Ming. This whole thing used to be way better when Siberia was useful, but that got nerfed hard. Then it also used to be better when Ming would actually implode, but now they rarely do.

Expansion is really strong as Russia.
This still works really well and Siberia is loving awesome for making you money. Maybe I just got lucky but in my game my colonies were mostly fur with a small amount of grain and two gold provinces. Dominating the trade nodes from Siberia/Samarkand to the Baltic will make you shitloads of money, while dominating trade in Persia is less good because you can't send it anywhere. In my game the PLC never formed, Poland just got huge and stayed allied with Lithuania, the Ottomans took Vienna, and Sweden has controlled all of Scandinavia for some time. Taking on any one of these would be hard enough without that colonization money, but in my game I used this strategy of expanding east to colonize and vassalize and was actually able to take on super Poland and super ottomans at the same time.

Going west as Russia is a massive pain in the rear end and you'll usually have enough strong enemies that fighting one for too long can leave you very overexposed. Going east and south is a cakewalk in comparison and a much lower risk proposition.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sharzak posted:

Expansion is really strong as Russia.

Reasons I don't like Expansion, feel free to give me the reasons you do like it:

1. It costs Admin. I find Admin points are at a premium before Admin 10. After that they tend to loosen up a bit.
2. I already have Religious earmarked, and that's an Admin idea group
3. I need to get Admin as my third or fourth idea, and that's an Admin idea group

I don't want to go Expansion -> Religious -> Admin. That's three Admin idea groups and it sucks. It also does not give me Conquistadors, so I can't get creative with where I colonize.

For that specific build, I went Exploration -> Religious -> and still annexed all my vassals (Perm, Pskov, Ryazan, Yaroslav) while unlocking two diplo ideas. I don't see a way to do that with Expansion in there. That's 800 admin points I didn't have (but 800 diplo points I did have) and it eventually gives me 3 colonists, not two. That matters a lot due to the slow pace of colonization in frozen Siberia. I also get Conquistadors and the ability to explore TI in 1480.

All of that is secondary to the fact that I think colonizing as Russia is pretty crappy these days. But those are the reasons I used to favor Exploration to Expansion.

[edit]If you really want to get cute, nothing stops you from dumping Exploration two ideas in at the cost of the 800 diplo points you already spent. Like go two into Exploration for 100 years then dump the idea group for something useful. That's a pretty cheap rental of colonist and conquistador for a while ;)

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 10, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Star posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for the Re-reconquista? I've done like 10-15 restarts without really getting to a secure position. Tried to stay and attack Spain while they're fighting France+Aragon but they are often allied to Portugal and together they can beat me quite easily despite fighting France. I've also tried to escape to North Africa by attacking Tlemcen in order to be able to colonize and move to N but I never get far enough since both Portugal and Spain attack my African holdings, plus most of the provinces are dirt poor.

I typed up my experience with that achievement a while ago, look at my post history. It is a very hard achievement. I found that even getting an Ottoman alliance doesn't help, if you get lucky enough that they are friendly to you. You'll get declared on anyways and they are in no position to help you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MrBling posted:

State of the world in 1605. And its a weird one.

Not to be mean, but not really. Nothing in this shot is particular unusual or surprising (save maybe the lack of colonization in Portugal), and the fact that it isn't is my biggest complaint about the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

I typed up my experience with that achievement a while ago, look at my post history. It is a very hard achievement. I found that even getting an Ottoman alliance doesn't help, if you get lucky enough that they are friendly to you. You'll get declared on anyways and they are in no position to help you.

Yeah, I managed to escape but I think I was too slow since GB and Spain are already there and constantly attacking my few provinces. I need to be quicker next time I guess. But I'll read your post and hopefully find some help!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Star posted:

Yeah, I managed to escape but I think I was too slow since GB and Spain are already there and constantly attacking my few provinces. I need to be quicker next time I guess. But I'll read your post and hopefully find some help!

Definitely stay as far away from them as you can. Spain is more than happy to Holy War your rear end, so don't give them the CB. And don't form any colonial nations because they'll do stupid things and drag you into wars you'll lose in the beginning.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I'm giving the Venice -> Byzantium thing a shot and wanted to get some advice / ask questions.

I started off by taking Athens, Morea and uhh the other one in that region from Byzantium and integrating Naxos. Naxos was helpful enough to pop an event asking for that other province since they had a historical link to it, and so they cored it for me a few weeks before integration finished. I took Ragusa, and every Croatian cultural province not belonging to Hungary (they've got themselves allied to a strong Papal State and Austria), vassaled Serbia after they took all of Bosnia and quickly fed them Albania.

My only stable ally is Austria, as every other one has made terrible decisions and gotten themselves crushed. Poland went to war with the Palatinate over a Bohemian succession crisis while Lithuania was busy fighting all of Scandanavia with England, and had to release Moravia and Moldova when the entire HRE put the boots into them. I had to kill my ties with them when Austria called me into the war, the bastards. France was a great ally, until they tried to take Navarra and now has the ally chain of Burgundy-Spain-Portugal-Aragon rolling them. The Mamluks rivaled me, so they're out of the prospective alliance pool, and Poland has lost a lot of strength with it's vassals gone. The Ottomans are focusing on spreading East at the moment and have left Constantinople alone for 40 years, and have an ally in a moderately strong Tunis.

So what's my next step? The fall of Constantinople events are pretty good and I kind of want to wait for the Ottomans to take them out so that they can fire, but the Otts have showed no interest thus far and I could just take it myself to have a nice bottleneck against them come the eventual war. Hungary is a little too strong with it's alliances, so I've Embargoed them and am considering sending insults to try and get them to DOW me and lose Austria as an ally over it. How long does Poland have to take that Commonwealth decision, and if I have Lithuania allied will that carry over? Should I just wait for a decade or two to see where things go?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rakthar posted:

Reasons I don't like Expansion, feel free to give me the reasons you do like it:

1. It costs Admin. I find Admin points are at a premium before Admin 10. After that they tend to loosen up a bit.
3. I need to get Admin as my third or fourth idea, and that's an Admin idea group

I don't want to go Expansion -> Religious -> Admin. That's three Admin idea groups and it sucks. It also does not give me Conquistadors, so I can't get creative with where I colonize.

For that specific build, I went Exploration -> Religious -> and still annexed all my vassals (Perm, Pskov, Ryazan, Yaroslav) while unlocking two diplo ideas. I don't see a way to do that with Expansion in there. That's 800 admin points I didn't have (but 800 diplo points I did have) and it eventually gives me 3 colonists, not two. That matters a lot due to the slow pace of colonization in frozen Siberia. I also get Conquistadors and the ability to explore TI in 1480.

All of that is secondary to the fact that I think colonizing as Russia is pretty crappy these days. But those are the reasons I used to favor Exploration to Expansion.

[edit]If you really want to get cute, nothing stops you from dumping Exploration two ideas in at the cost of the 800 diplo points you already spent. Like go two into Exploration for 100 years then dump the idea group for something useful. That's a pretty cheap rental of colonist and conquistador for a while ;)

Instead of grabbing admin for the coring discounts and admin point saving I grabbed Influence and fed about 85-90% of stuff I conquered to a vassal and saved a bunch of admin points that way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Expansion's only use is when you're going hyper colonist mode, in my opinion. It's pretty weak otherwise, even with the nice CB. If you start out with Exploration -> Expansion -> Quantity and enact the two policies, you can get a pretty early +30 settler increase and +1 colonist which lets you colonize like a motherfucker.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It probably isn't worth it if you have already taken Religious. But influence humanism defensive expansion Russia is drat strong and is probably the best setup there is for keeping your European borders relatively static for 250 years while you fill in the rest of the map by colonizing and vassalizing your way across the rest of the world.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Newbie trade question: Do I pretty much want to have one merchant collecting from a node I have a high control percentage of with a lot of routes flowing into it, and then have the rest in surrounding nodes steering trade towards the one I'm collecting from? And then I want as much control of the ones I'm steering from as possible too?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just started my first Timurids game after a practice crash-and-burn, and their situation is lots of fun plan out right from the start. I'm allied to some other big nomad nations and am going to take alternating bites out of Uzbek, Qara Qoyunlu, and the Indian states, and do lots of vassalizing and having them convert and core provinces, and then form a cool special nation and westernize. Probably not news to most, but this seems like a cool and rewarding starting nation.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Newbie trade question: Do I pretty much want to have one merchant collecting from a node I have a high control percentage of with a lot of routes flowing into it, and then have the rest in surrounding nodes steering trade towards the one I'm collecting from? And then I want as much control of the ones I'm steering from as possible too?

Yes, and the ones upstream from those, and...etc.

It's worth noting though that you automatically collect from your home node and do not need to devote a merchant to doing so there, though the presence of a merchant in your home node is still beneficial if he has nothing else to do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I picked this up with all the major DLC during the sale last weekend and just got around to playing it and I'm fairly lost - I've played both CK2 and Victoria 2 but there's just a lot of stuff going on in EU4 and I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on at any given time.

I've been trying to play as Castille and going towards forming Spain since that seems simple enough, but I just can't seem to make enough money to actually build up my military/navy, meanwhile Aragon seems to have basically twice as many guys as I do without any trouble. Should I not be hiring advisors, even the +1 ones? Also sometimes when I declare war on someone my stability just suddenly drops to -3 and I immediately gain a ton of war exhaustion. I don't THINK I'm breaking any truces, so I'm not sure what's causing that.

Also, is there a way to set rally points for my newly built armies as in Victoria 2? It's kind of a pain to not have them auto-march to a single location and merge as soon as they finish, especially with the navy where they take so long to build I often don't notice them when they finish.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 11, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anybody here done the Blackjack achievement? I'm curious as to whether I really need to have all of my subjects have 5 provinces, or if I can have 21 subject with 5 provinces and then some more with less. Various posts on the internet seem to suggest it's the latter, but that's not the way it looks in the achievement file.

e: Just got it, all you need is 21 subjects with 5 or more provinces. You can have any other number of other subjects and it doesn't matter.

Wafflecopper posted:

That's pretty much it. Although depending on the value/power share in your home node, you may not want a merchant collecting there at all. If it's a contested node (say, you have <75% power there), it can be more worthwhile to have that last merchant out in the field, both to steer in more value, and because as long as you only collect in your home node, every merchant steering gives you +10% Trade Power in your home node. If on the other hand you control nearly all the power already (>90%), it makes more sense to have a merchant in your home node, and he'll boost your income generated there by 10%.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 11, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I picked this up with all the major DLC during the sale last weekend and just got around to playing it and I'm fairly lost - I've played both CK2 and Victoria 2 but there's just a lot of stuff going on in EU4 and I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on at any given time.

I've been trying to play as Castille and going towards forming Spain since that seems simple enough, but I just can't seem to make enough money to actually build up my military/navy, meanwhile Aragon seems to have basically twice as many guys as I do without any trouble. Should I not be hiring advisors, even the +1 ones? Also sometimes when I declare war on someone my stability just suddenly drops to -3 and I immediately gain a ton of war exhaustion. I don't THINK I'm breaking any truces, so I'm not sure what's causing that.

Also, is there a way to set rally points for my newly built armies as in Victoria 2? It's kind of a pain to not have them auto-march to a single location and merge as soon as they finish, especially with the navy where they take so long to build I often don't notice them when they finish.

You automatically get Aragon in a Personal Union through a historical event in almost every game as Castile so I wouldn't worry about matching up to them militarily. Keep in mind also that Aragon is probably going into debt to hire mercenaries to fight against you - that's why they seem to have so many guys. However, yeah, if you are low on cash you should ditch an advisor - monarch points are great but cash is really the limiting factor in the first few decades. You might also mothball your heavy ships if you have any, they're expensive as hell and unless you're fighting another great power, usually overkill.

You are losing stability when you declare war because you aren't choosing your casus belli (Conquest, Trade Dispute, etc.) - similar to how not having a justified CB in V2 incurs huge infamy. You have to pick a CB like in CK2 at the very beginning of a war, but you can also declare no-CB wars, unlike CK2. You generally don't want to do that though.

In the upper left is the builder menu. This includes Army Templates. You can set up, say, 5 infantry as a template, then build the template in a province. They will build in that and surrounding provinces (if you set the template that way) and then rally to the province you built the template in.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 11, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I was playing as Ottomans for the first time and I pretty much ignored Europe after annexing Wien in 1538 (not having any wars except for one with the Knights). Some interesting bits I've gathered from the province logs:
Great Britain still held to Normandy and most of Argmanac until 1690.
Colombia broke free from Portugal 30 years after it was discovered (independent in 1560s).
Portugal has been banished to Australia by Leon in 1637 (and its new capital has been occupied by Mali in 1668).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So why is the retiring advisors mechanic so dumb? It seems like 90% of the time you just get the same advisor type over and over again.

For example, I just retired three +1 spymasters in a row, then three +1 colonial governors in a row, before I finally got something actually useful.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Alright, in my Venice->Byzantium run I managed to take all of the Ottoman's Greek provinces in a snap war at the same time that they were fighting off Hungary, the Papal State, Genoa and Aragon-Naples. I moved my capitol to Constantinople after taking that from the Byzantines and switched my primary culture to Greek, but now I can't get Orthodox rebels to fire off. Everywhere that they could I can only get Nationalist rebels. Do I have to wait for their old cores to run out for Religious rebels to get focus?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Place a missionary to switch the rebel type to religious and then accept demands on the rebel thing.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Mehrunes posted:

Place a missionary to switch the rebel type to religious and then accept demands on the rebel thing.

All that does at the moment is up the revolt risk for whatever Seperatists could pop up in the area.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

Definitely stay as far away from them as you can. Spain is more than happy to Holy War your rear end, so don't give them the CB. And don't form any colonial nations because they'll do stupid things and drag you into wars you'll lose in the beginning.

Yeah, I noticed that Spain's quite trigger-happy. I think this achievement is the only one that has made me almost want to un-install the game at times.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Played Holland, got England and France on board my guarantee pile, declared war, took 3 low land provinces. Few ticks after the war finishes and I'm 3 provinces richer, I get an event "Our overlord has stolen money from us", I take out a 66 ducat loan and I come to the realisation that I'm still a vassal, just one with three more provinces than I had! Burgundy did get totally loving dogpiled by France and Provence and lost all of their Burgundian culture provinces and have been reduced to the strip in the lower low lands, plus Liege (which they conquered)

Why am I still a vassal of Burgundy after a successful independence war?
e: wait, do I have to break the vassalage and the Personal Union I am in separately?
e2: doesnt look like it, my government still shows me in "Under a Personal Union with Burgundy"

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 11, 2015

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

Played Holland, got England and France on board my guarantee pile, declared war, took 3 low land provinces. Few ticks after the war finishes and I'm 3 provinces richer, I get an event "Our overlord has stolen money from us", I take out a 66 ducat loan and I come to the realisation that I'm still a vassal, just one with three more provinces than I had! Burgundy did get totally loving dogpiled by France and Provence and lost all of their Burgundian culture provinces and have been reduced to the strip in the lower low lands, plus Liege (which they conquered)

Why am I still a vassal of Burgundy after a successful independence war?
e: wait, do I have to break the vassalage and the Personal Union I am in separately?

Did you ask for independence in the peace screen?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

Did you ask for independence in the peace screen?
I... did not. I figured winning the war and taking the provinces was all I needed. I'm stupid, thanks! :v:

Actually I might not be as stupid as I thought, it seems pretty exploitable that I can just return to status quo ante, and then declare another independence rebellion, get Britain and France on my side again, and just keep taking 2-3 provinces from Burgundy until they're too small to be my PU overlord or stop existing completely? I don't have to deal with the Emperor jumping down my throat while I snack up Burgundy's HRE Provinces and I get a guaranteed support from the two nearest great powers that both hate Burgundy.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 11, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

It probably isn't worth it if you have already taken Religious. But influence humanism defensive expansion Russia is drat strong and is probably the best setup there is for keeping your European borders relatively static for 250 years while you fill in the rest of the map by colonizing and vassalizing your way across the rest of the world.

Religious is better than Humanism for Russia because you get an NI with a culture change discount and because you're Orthodox which helps with conversions. So basically if you pick Religious you build on your already existing strenghts.
And you can and will convert cultures because you should have diplo points to spare, with the stacking coring cost discount from NI + Admin ideas it is easier to just core things than relying on vassals too much, not to mention that westernizing will remove the option of India/Asia vassals.

Now the last part depends on your game and your allies, but staying out of Europe for 250 years is bad, if you somehow can you should eat up all the provinces from your own culture group, most of them are around 10 base tax with some even higher ones.

I really don't get how people like expansion so much outside of playing one of the big colonizers (Spain/Portugal/GB) and even there in those builds it suffers from being an admin group.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rakthar posted:

You can't do Expansion->Religious->Admin anyway since that's three ADM groups in a row. Exploration gives you an extra colonist, sure, but if you're not planning on colonising more than Siberia, both the early colonist and the second one are just overkill (plus, like I mentioned in an earlier post, 3 or 4 of the exploration bonii are just useless since they are about CNs or a fleet and we're talking Russia colonising Siberia here).

I would say something like Religious->[mil group]->Expansion would work well for Russia, with Expansion pushed down to 4th if monarch stats are dicking you over in ADM points. By the 5th or 6th idea group you'll either be in the process of or have actually gained access to the Asian nodes, so pick trade then and start pulling all that sweet sweet asian trade home. With that set-up you can pretty comfortably colonise Siberia, and if that's all you want from colonising you're gold. The main weakness of this strategy is that you are missing out on administrative's core cost reduction, but by vassalising smaller states and balkanising larger ones, and releasing vassals and later on making Client States you can push the integration cost to DIP power instead.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Trundel posted:

All that does at the moment is up the revolt risk for whatever Seperatists could pop up in the area.

It's quite tricky indeed. You need to do this in a province with 0% revolt risk to begin with where you can push the rr into the positive with the 6% from the active missionary. Use lower/increase autonomy to get there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jazerus posted:

Yes, and the ones upstream from those, and...etc.

It's worth noting though that you automatically collect from your home node and do not need to devote a merchant to doing so there, though the presence of a merchant in your home node is still beneficial if he has nothing else to do.

PittTheElder posted:

That's pretty much it. Although depending on the value/power share in your home node, you may not want a merchant collecting there at all. If it's a contested node (say, you have <75% power there), it can be more worthwhile to have that last merchant out in the field, both to steer in more value, and because as long as you only collect in your home node, every merchant steering gives you +10% Trade Power in your home node. If on the other hand you control nearly all the power already (>90%), it makes more sense to have a merchant in your home node, and he'll boost your income generated there by 10%.

Thanks guys. One more trade question: What should I be doing with my light ships? When I set them to boost trade or whatever the option's called and get the list of where to send them, I mouseover each one and it looks like I get the most out of just sending them to my home node. Is there any more to it than what's indicated in the tooltip? It seems a bit simple. Might I make more sending them to a node I'm steering from if I don't have much strength there for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wafflecopper posted:

Thanks guys. One more trade question: What should I be doing with my light ships? When I set them to boost trade or whatever the option's called and get the list of where to send them, I mouseover each one and it looks like I get the most out of just sending them to my home node. Is there any more to it than what's indicated in the tooltip? It seems a bit simple. Might I make more sending them to a node I'm steering from if I don't have much strength there for example?

Don't trust those tooltips. Experiment and see what raises your trade income.

• Locked thread