Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jmcrofts posted:

drat, you're burning through these games, you're a machine!

That frankenstein game looks interesting, does it actually try to be scary at any point? I don't know anything about the hidden objects genre, is the gameplay inoffensive?

That's probably the strangest thing about Frankenstein... there's a horror tone to the cutscenes and story bits, but the gameplay feels almost like it was designed for children. It's the easiest hidden object game I've played yet, and that's including a game targeted directly at Disney princess fans. I wouldn't say any part of the game is scary, but the cutscenes can be a bit unsettling and there are a few parts where the monster pops out at you.

There are a surprising number of horror-themed hidden object games, so if you're interested in trying one you have plenty of better options. None of the ones I've played are really scary, per se, but some have better atmospheres than others. Shadows: Price For Our Sins probably tries the hardest to be spooky and is a personal favorite of mine, AND just so happens to be $2 right now. It's the game that got me into hidden object games, and while it's a little goofy, I had way more fun with it than I ever expected to. Other options include Weird Park Trilogy (review), Infected: The Twin Vaccine (review), 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek (review), Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts (review), and, not even kidding, Paranormal State: Poison Spring (review). On top of that, I haven't played them yet but I've heard the Midnight Mysteries games are some of the best the genre has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Y'all making me double post now? Well, I finally got around to playing an actual scary game again, how about that?

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death

9. Kraven Manor

Amnesia certainly inspired a slew of imitators over the years, but few came out as polished as Kraven Manor. Originally a Guildhall student project, this one is a first-person romp through a spooky mansion with a creaky inhabitant and a cool gimmick for navigation. Once you start to dig into it, however, the polish starts to come off in some unfortunate ways.

The first thing you come across in the main hall of the manor is an incomplete model of the building. Throughout the game you find pieces of the model that you can fit as you please, freely rearranging the structure on the fly. It's a cool, simple gimmick that is used to unlock the final sequence... and that's it. You're not going to be doing much else in the manor, either. There's no inventory to fiddle with, only some books to get snippets from, items to lift and throw, and buttons to push.

What you are going to be doing is staring down the house's obnoxious bronze inhabitant. The enemy in Kraven Manor is one of those ever-popular Weeping Angel or SCP-173 types that only moves when you're not looking at it. I know that sounds kinda cool, but what that actually means is the moment you turn to work on a puzzle or leave the room, it caves your skull in. Sequences with the monster turn into aggravating games of Red Light, Red Light where you stare at it while trying to blind navigate to whatever the hell it was you were doing. And the thing goes all herky-jerky crazy when it's just out of your sight, resorting to straight-up teleporting if you're too good at keeping eye contact.

Easily the biggest knock against the game is its length. I beat it on Normal in just a little over 30 minutes. There's a Nightmare mode for masochists, because all it does is limit your flashlight and make the enemies kill you faster. If you're a jumpy type like me you'll get a few good rushes out of the enemy encounters and a few of the scripted moments, but it doesn't last. As a student project, Kraven Manor is undeniably impressive, but a paid product needs a lot more than what's offered here.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played SS2 a little after its time but before bio shock came out. The game wasn't that hard on ammo if you used the wrench/pipe for the first half of the game. The coop was fun with friends but friendly fire was on by default with unlimited respawns. The laser pistol was a one shot. Fun game, never thought of it as scary.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I picked up a couple hidden object games in the last big sale I've yet to play, and this is one of them. I'll make sure to install it and actually check it out, sounds... interesting!

The other one I got was Mind Snares: Alice's Journey, which is... OK I guess? I don't have much to compare it to. I haven't finished it yet but what I've seen so far hasn't blown my socks off with the story, which is one of the things that is touted about HO games. It seems to be basically a streamlined point and click stripped down to the bare essentials, and there have only been a couple of the "find these items" screens so far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek is actually a good atmospheric Halloween HOG. The writing isn't super great (Like unironically having the main protagonist stop another character from killing the main villain, a mass-murdering centuries old devil-worshiping sorcerer, because "it would make them as bad as he is".) Despite that its good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone watch the soma live action shorts ? They are technically really impressive, both picture and acting and sound. I think they merge well into the games' universe .

e: added link

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 11, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Anyone watch the soma live action shorts ? They are technically really impressive, both picture and acting and sound. I think they merge well into the games' universe .

They're really good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
9. Kraven Manor

10. Our Darker Purpose

I love The Binding of Isaac. I love roguelikes, I love twin-stick shooters, and I love that bizarre crossing of dark and cute. I mention this because it's impossible to review Our Darker Purpose without bringing up BoI at almost every turn. The gameplay, the progression, the enemies, the items, even the aesthetic are all heavily informed by Isaac, and while there are some interesting tweaks to the formula, they come at a cost.

ODP poses you as a wayward resident at the Edgewood Home for Lost Children, a mix of orphanage, asylum, and Hogwarts. Within its randomly-generated halls you will meet all manner of disturbed students, monstrous school supplies, and debris. While the first two are interesting and varied in their Tim Burntony designs, the debris and traps are the only features of the rooms, lending them much less variety than the maps in Binding. Levels themselves can have random attributes, though, like lower light (+light radius is a thing again!), extra healing items, or more damage.

Items can be found in rare chests, from defeating rare minibosses, or buying them from vending machines. They come far less frequently than BoI items and have far smaller effects on gameplay, usually providing a random chance for an effect or a very corner case bonus. Your main method of progression is earning EXP from kills, leveling up, and picking one perk from a randomized pair. The game definitely has a stronger RPG vibe than you-know-what, with full stats for your character, critical hits, dodge chance, and so on. It adds a bit of complexity but also dilutes some of the raw appeal of combat and simple progression.

Hopefully by now you're recognizing the trend that Our Darker Purpose follows. Everything it does in deference to Binding of Isaac is done in half-measures, never quite meeting the quality of the originator. The look is interesting and more detailed, but lacks weight and impact. The progression is more complex, but never gets as creative. The sound design is also rather off, reusing many effects and missing some key feedback cues. Worst of all, though, is the uneven difficulty. Some rooms and bosses will just absolutely wreck you in ways the progression may not account for, ending otherwise promising runs in pretty sour ways. There's an overarching progression system with more perks to unlock, but it looks to take ages to get anything particularly interesting, if it even exists.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, just one that never lives up to the example set for it. If you've burned out on Binding of Isaac it's worth a try, and fans of the look or the RPG progression may even find it more engrossing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wanted to like ODP, but I play BoI with the mouse to control shooting and find the keyboard only controls very irritating. I like how it looks though.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just want to remind people of Anchorhead, an interactive fiction inspired by Lovecraft. I played it four or five years ago, and several images from that game have stuck with me.

http://www.dwheeler.com/anchorhead/

While you can play it in-browser, I recommend using Gargoyle (http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taking a break from visual novels to talk about Tamashii no Mon Dante no Shinkyoku yori or Gate of Souls: From Dante's Divine Comedy. Developed and published by Koei in 1994, this is a sidescrolling action/adventure game based directly on Dante's epic poem, specifically Inferno.

The PC98 was never a technologically powerful computer but its market dominance lasted well throughout the 90s and Gate of Souls is an example of its staying power. At its core is a simplistic platformer. Each screen is self contained, they don't scroll and characters remain in place. You have a basic melee attack that can be charged up to unleash a more powerful attack. Due to hardware limitations Koei wisely created a slow paced game about pattern recognition. If you understand how enemies move and patiently wait for openings you'll have an easy time. I guess you could say it's like *ahem* Dark Souls???

Aside from a handful of enemy encounters, the bulk of the game is talking to characters and solving simple inventory based puzzles. There's very little challenge to speak of. You can't permanently screw up (again, keeping in line with traditional Japanese adventure games) and there's a heavy focus on story over puzzle solving. There's little in the way of healing but you can save anywhere and fully heal in between the very brief stages. Choosing not to load upon your death sets you back to the beginning of the stage with all items and events still in place although (quite strangely) your health is halved. At its worst failure costs time as never lose any real progress.

The highlight here are the graphics which are certainly showing their age but boast some excellent sprite art. It intentionally uses a limited palette to portray hell as the cold, nightmarish realm that Dante described. Enemies are grotesque with the larger creatures like Minos and Lucifer taking up the entire screen. Tortured souls wander the wasteland naked and twisted. Scripted scenes show the art in more detail, highlighting the geography of hell.

I sound like a broken record here but had this been released on the Super Famicom with a proper action system it'd have an article on Hardcore Gaming 101, fan translations, and people would speak of it as a lost classic. As it stands it's an average game on a dated platform that's neat to look at. Even in Japan it's a cult title, only really spoken about from the hardest of hardcore Koei fans.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

speaking of PC98, I just got around to playing Peret Em Heru It's a pretty neat free spooky RPG about exploring the great pyramid of giza. I really like the puzzles and art. I feel like the RPG elements probably weren't necessary, but except for one instance, I really like all the puzzles in the game.

There's some spooky surreal stuff but I feel like the ending jumps the shark. It was unique, at least.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I played SS2 a little after its time but before bio shock came out. The game wasn't that hard on ammo if you used the wrench/pipe for the first half of the game. The coop was fun with friends but friendly fire was on by default with unlimited respawns. The laser pistol was a one shot. Fun game, never thought of it as scary.

The Co-op mode of SShock 2 breaks the game's atmosphere like a twig. It's really not a game built for it. I'm not surprised it's not scary. Although I'd say that SS2 is more "tense as hell" than scary.

Except the spiders. gently caress the spiders.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

Taking a break from visual novels to talk about Tamashii no Mon Dante no Shinkyoku yori or Gate of Souls: From Dante's Divine Comedy. Developed and published by Koei in 1994, this is a sidescrolling action/adventure game based directly on Dante's epic poem, specifically Inferno.
I don't know where you're digging these up from but wow, they're fascinating. That's some beautiful art, it's really detailed and busy for being such low pixel count, you can tell they really worked well within their limitations.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

al-azad posted:

Awesome poo poo

Have any PC98 horror games been given English releases/fan translations? I think the aesthetic is super distinct, but it seems like the only thing we ever got stateside was stuff like Snatcher and Policenauts.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

mr sad posted:

Just want to remind people of Anchorhead, an interactive fiction inspired by Lovecraft. I played it four or five years ago, and several images from that game have stuck with me.

http://www.dwheeler.com/anchorhead/

While you can play it in-browser, I recommend using Gargoyle (http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/).

I will second this recommendation, but with the warning that you should probably use a walkthrough. There are some parts of the game that can be pretty obtuse at least for me since I'm not really a text adventure veteran. Really the enjoyment comes more from the writing than the actual game parts of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Have any PC98 horror games been given English releases/fan translations? I think the aesthetic is super distinct, but it seems like the only thing we ever got stateside was stuff like Snatcher and Policenauts.

None, really. There's Cosmology of Kyoto but that's a Windows title. The market was so saturated that few Japanese companies even thought about expanding their borders outside of microcomputers until Windows '95. And the Western market was either focused on consoles or pushing polygons that no one was interested in porting weird 2D games with limited gameplay. I don't know how difficult it is to do a fan translation/patch, I know there are a few for MSX, but I imagine these games being novel length scares away hobbyists.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

al-azad posted:

None, really. There's Cosmology of Kyoto but that's a Windows title. The market was so saturated that few Japanese companies even thought about expanding their borders outside of microcomputers until Windows '95. And the Western market was either focused on consoles or pushing polygons that no one was interested in porting weird 2D games with limited gameplay. I don't know how difficult it is to do a fan translation/patch, I know there are a few for MSX, but I imagine these games being novel length scares away hobbyists.

It would be really cool if a Devolver or Night Dive type publisher came along to start flipping them on to Steam, but they're so incredibly niche that I can't see anyone taking the risk outside of an eccentric entrepreneur.

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose

11. Stray Cat Crossing

(Had to steal screenshots from the store page, SCC doesn't play nice with the overlay.)

There's a surprising number of RPG Maker horror games, if you've never looked. Most ditch the RPG trappings entirely in favor of a minimalist retro-2D walking simulator style, and most of those tend to be boring or poorly designed. But every once in awhile you'll find a gem in the pile, and Stray Cat Crossing is one of those gems.

Your lovingly-rendered character happens across a small girl wandering the road at night. The girl, Cat, runs off with your treasured scarf and you follow her all the way home like the worst sort of creeper just to get it back. Don't feel bad, though, because her house is full of all kinds of nightmare beings. SCC is a surreal adventure game through symbolic realms of guilt and loss, expressed in a magnificently detailed and colorful art style. Characters are memorable, environments are vivid, and the atmosphere is excellent.

The sound design is on point as well, but the real stand-outs are the bizarre video clips the game hits you with periodically. Every once in awhile, you'll be interrupted by a short scene that looks cut from the VHS tape in The Ring. These sequences are incredibly jarring and effective. I am not a fan of jumpscares in the least, but these felt well thought-out and earned. They add immeasurably to the atmosphere and help hint at future story beats, as well.

The story itself is quite good, managing to dabble heavily in symbolism and moralizing without falling into the traps other games often do. There's nothing forced or heavy-handed about the plot developments, and you tend to catch up with things as your tight-lipped protagonist does. The one place the game stumbles is in the puzzles, which start off strong and clever but end on some sour notes. The final sequence is honestly quite clever as well, but in a way that's not actually very fun to get through. It comes at the very end, though, so at that point there's no reason not to power through for the satisfying finale.

You'll finish the game in two hours or so, which is perfectly fine considering the price. They're a tense and emotional two hours that would be worth experiencing just for the cast and atmosphere. Luckily, the whole game pulls together to form something I can whole-heartedly recommend.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I noticed a Frankenstein game in the mix, but not the excellently cheesy Mystlike starring Tim Curry:

Frankenstein: through the eyes of the monster

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I noticed a Frankenstein game in the mix, but not the excellently cheesy Mystlike starring Tim Curry:

Frankenstein: through the eyes of the monster

Jesus, I remember reading about that in PC Gamer. Always wanted to give it a try. More of those old FMV games on Steam would be great, but I do have one or two coming up this month that should fit right in.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Anyone else in thread who played SOMA mind helping me with a plot question? I'm aware that WAU used the structure gel to transform people on the base into its meat puppets, but how did it get started doing that? I know Terry Akers went crazy and drank tons of the gel so he might've been the first one to get the Borgifying ball rolling but why did he do that in the first place? Is there any evidence that WAU manipulated him and drove him crazy to its own ends or is it just a convenient coincidence in an otherwise well plotted game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyone else in thread who played SOMA mind helping me with a plot question? I'm aware that WAU used the structure gel to transform people on the base into its meat puppets, but how did it get started doing that? I know Terry Akers went crazy and drank tons of the gel so he might've been the first one to get the Borgifying ball rolling but why did he do that in the first place? Is there any evidence that WAU manipulated him and drove him crazy to its own ends or is it just a convenient coincidence in an otherwise well plotted game?

If I am understanding your question correctly, the WAU'S directive was to keep humanity alive at any cost. After the meteor hit it bugged out and started taking an extremely literal interpretation of it, where it would keep them in a state of undeath with more and more of them being replaced and held up by machines because they are technically still "alive". Structure gel is like machine stem cells, a magic material that the WAU used to previously fix the station but then started using to "fix" other things

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I understand that, I'm asking how it got started. It's pretty much said that Terry Akers (the guy who went insane and ate tons of gel) was WAU's first Proxy. But I guess I missed why he went crazy. Was it just a convenient coincidence that he just so happened to go crazy in just the right way that he ate the gel? Or did WAU purposely drive him bonkers to do that? Just feels like a too convenient plot point in an otherwise well written game.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Carthage wanted to be Weyland-Yutani but a comet got in the way. Johan Ross (AI Psychologist) was one of three actual Carthage employees at Pathos-II, and his work with influencing the evolution of the WAU was a big enough deal that Julia Stahl and Mark Sarang were under orders to kill anyone that threatened to interfere. Sarang kicked off the suicide cult semi-early on but Stahl was still doing her best to follow orders right up until the WAU popped everyone's heads before Herber could finish initializing the power suit, even though there was probably no Carthage left to speak of. Basically it's Ross' doing, and Carthage got the ball rolling before the comet hit. Maybe it was an attempt to save the species from the start, or maybe it was something else entirely that only became that after parameters changed.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing

12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition

You guys, this game is adorable.

Splatter is a twin-stick zombie shooter in the vein of... hell, pick something. Your character embarks on an epic, rain-soaked journey from his living room to a mysterious government lab in search of the source of the mutant undead plague that has torn your city apart. On your quest you find a wide assortment of weapons, along with cash to upgrade them. The upgrade system is a particularly good one, allowing you multiple upgrades on a single weapon to turn it into an absurd all-in-one death-dealer.

There's a surprising amount of content in each of the game's lengthy levels. Several have NPCs you can interact with, as well as optional sidequests for additional weapons and ammo. Some are centered around clever setpieces like a subway ride or a thresher driving sequence. Then there are additional secrets to find like armor upgrades and golden gun parts that I'm not clear on the purpose of, but by now it should be clear that there's plenty to do in the game's dozen or so open levels. Worth mentioning also that, aside from the gory action, there are some genuinely tense sections thanks to the lighting and encounter design in some of the darkened buildings and narrow corridors.

What makes this game adorable is the presentation. Your "hero" is a fedora-wearing trenchcoat-clad iconoclast who can't help but be a condescending dick to everyone he meets. I can't overstate this... in the cutscene where you arrive at the shopping mall, he monologues about how the place once attracted a different mindless herd of consumers. You're essentially playing the EUPHORIC guy unironically and it makes the game like ten times funnier than it should be. I honestly can't tell if it's a giant parody or if you're supposed to be taking his gravelly fussing seriously, but either way it elevates the game from bargain-basement shooter to something special. Coupled with the solid gameplay, graphics, and level design, Splatter proved to be an unexpected gem.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I really like ODP, but mostly because I absolutely cannot stand Binding of Isaac's aesthetic at all. It's so gross that I can't even play it for very long without feeling like I need to take a shower. ODP lets me play a game with similar mechanics without having to put up with the gross aesthetic. Plus, spooky-cute is the best art style.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

I understand that, I'm asking how it got started. It's pretty much said that Terry Akers (the guy who went insane and ate tons of gel) was WAU's first Proxy. But I guess I missed why he went crazy. Was it just a convenient coincidence that he just so happened to go crazy in just the right way that he ate the gel? Or did WAU purposely drive him bonkers to do that? Just feels like a too convenient plot point in an otherwise well written game.

Logs and dates paint a hilariously grim picture of Akers. He won his 1000th game of chess on 1/13 and the system bugged out, wouldn't let him play again. He tried again from the other terminal on the 13th/14th and failed because the system was too ate up to load the game. He requested evac on the 15th. The clear implication is that he would've gone privately insane on his little spit of land with no one around to hurt if the WAU had just left Windows Chess 2099 alone - he went evangelical maniac on the doomed sheep at Theta because HE HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO. He was the unwanted prophet of his blind idiot god, and the entire tragedy at Theta can be boiled down to one man's misinterpretation of the WAU's already hosed up will.
The machines attacked Amy and Carl because they were cutting off the WAU's power supply. Akers and his converts/proxies laid waste to Theta because Akers was a drat nut. Everyone at/near Omicron got their minds blown because Herber was about to head down the climber with WAU-be-gone in a jar. It waited until the last possible moment before detonating them, too.
Even the aggressive creatures in the abyss were just acting to protect its heart. Pretty much every terrible event that befell the residents of Pathos-II was of their own unwitting design. The WAU acted in self-defense.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

Logs and dates paint a hilariously grim picture of Akers.
Holy poo poo I didn't put any of that together. I just finished SOMA today, and it's really loaded with a ton of that kind of subtle exposition. I feel like the way I play games lately though, 30 mins-1 hour at a time every few days, is really at odds with getting the most out of it, and I'm sure I missed a lot more.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Today I played Layers of Fear. It's a shame it's not done yet, because I had a great time. Definitely more scary than I anticipated. I'd highly recommend it if you don't mind "walking simulators" or if you liked P.T.

Here's the stream VOD if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Wyi_rRu1w

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gloomy Rube posted:

I really like ODP, but mostly because I absolutely cannot stand Binding of Isaac's aesthetic at all. It's so gross that I can't even play it for very long without feeling like I need to take a shower. ODP lets me play a game with similar mechanics without having to put up with the gross aesthetic. Plus, spooky-cute is the best art style.

Speaking of which, it's possible to make texture pack mods for BoI:R, so has anyone made a "Safe For Work" texture pack for it yet? That would be really useful for introducing the game to my friends for multiplayer without having to answer the question "Why is that blasphemous, bloody, floating fetus spewing poo poo and piss everywhere?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I were making a texture pack I'd rip off Akira Toriyama's style and just make everything vulgar super loving cute.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have always wondered if Binding of Isaac is wildly popular in spite of its art style or because of it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
In spite of. Ed McMillan accidentally made a near-perfect Skinner box, it just so happens to be covered in drawings of poop and dead babies. If the gameplay grabs you, you just sort of start glossing over the aesthetic in pursuit of the perfect run.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SkeletonHero posted:

In spite of. Ed McMillan accidentally made a near-perfect Skinner box, it just so happens to be covered in drawings of poop and dead babies. If the gameplay grabs you, you just sort of start glossing over the aesthetic in pursuit of the perfect run.
Speaking as someone who never played Binding of Isaac, could you elaborate on this?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Isaac feeds the player a near-constant string of unlocks, which appear randomly, so you're constantly wanting to keep at the game for a chance to try out a new upgrade or see what happens with different combinations of upgrades. And once you unlock everything, which takes up an absurd amount of time, then you keep playing to get better times, longer streaks, or just see how obscenely high your damage can get in a single run.

I forgot to mention that the game is also popular because it's very easy to chill out with while listening to podcasts or whatever. Something to do while you do something else.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Well,this answers the question from the last page.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/13/jason-returns-in-a-new-friday-the-13th-game

quote:

Mass murderer Jason Voorhees is back and headed for PS4, Xbox One, and PC in a brand new Friday the 13th game. Earlier today, Gun Media revealed that their previously-announced multiplayer horror game Slasher Volume 1: Summer Camp will be reborn as a licensed Friday the 13th product scheduled for release in Fall 2016.

Gun unveiled a Kickstarter campaign today to help fund the completion of their new production. Summer Camp was previously announced as a asynchronous multiplayer game pitting one powerful killer against a group of counselors in a lakeside camp. We recently sat down and talked with several people involved in Friday the 13th's development to learn the story behind Jason's's return, including game co-creators Ronnie Hobbs and Wes Keltner, executive producer Randy Greenback, special effects guru Tom Savini, Friday the 13th film score composer Harry Manfredini, director Sean Cunningham, and Jason himself, actor Kane Hodder

So how did Summer Camp become Friday the 13th? As Keltner explained, “It was an incredibly unusual and sort of serendipitous set up,” noting Summer Camp clearly was always heavily influenced by Friday the 13th and intended as a “love letter” to the series and similar films. Keltner recalled, “It just so happened that Sean Cunningham accepted said love letter. He came to us and saw what we already accomplished with Summer Camp. We were already past pre-production and about to move on to production. We had a small budget together, we knew what we were making.” Friday the 13th's director Sean Cunningham had run into Tom Savini and Kane Hodder, both of whom were already involved in the Summer Camp production. The two told Cunningham about the slasher-inspired game project

Keltner added, “He’s always wanted a [Friday the 13th] game. So it was very fortuitous that we were already making what sort of already fit with what he wanted. It was an incredible gift. He came to us and said ‘If you can use this license, if this can make what you’re building stronger, you’ve both earned my respect and this license.’ So he gifted that to us which was incredible and just an incredible opportunity, but at the same time an incredible responsibility.”
A Closer Look at the Friday the 13th Announcement Trailer
05:57

As Cunningham explained, “We had been talking about doing a game and how to make a game tied to a website and maybe doing some webisodes. But it had to be asymmetrical and it was the idea of putting a player in the shoes of either a camper or of Jason and you can expand that out but that was the core of the way we wanted to do the game - which had never been done or even attempted. We’d heard about Summer Camp and in fact, they had done a whole bunch of research in trying to create something that had that at it’s core. It didn’t have Friday the 13th on top of it and it would be limited but the work they did was exactly the kind of work we needed to do, no matter what we did and we said, Wait a second, maybe there’s a meeting of the minds and can take what they’ve done, what we want to do and this could be a home run.’ ‘Well how are we going to do that?’ ‘Call them up.’ It was probably more complicated at its core but that was the basic transaction.”

dd

As Hobbs noted, they still can’t believe how it occurred and that any horror fan can imagine how amazing the situation is. “Rewind back to being an 8-year old kid, 12-year old kid and watching Friday the 13th and loving it and being terrified but excited all at the same time. And one day you make a horror game because you love it so much and you want to honor them and all of a sudden you get a call from the owner of the franchise. That doesn’t happen.”

Living Up to the Name

Mixed in with the excitement, Greenback remarked, “increases expectations for what we have to deliver. We were fully intending and going to build an amazing experience with Summer Camp, no doubt. We had our plan and it was an homage to Friday the 13th. It was going to be as legit as we could make it. But now that it’s an official Friday the 13th game, the stakes are higher. We have to do things we didn’t plan on doing. Jason’s in the game and we’re going to have featured kills from the series and all sorts of things we didn’t expect but we need to be there. It’s a whole different experience than we ever imagined. I’ve never seen anything like this happen on any game I’ve ever been involved with, where the license came in midway. But I think we’re poised to make the most of it and obviously from what you saw, we hope you feel the same way.” He added, regarding fan expectations, “We would hate to be known as the people who didn’t deliver the right Friday the 13th game with this opportunity.

Why Kickstarter?

While fans will no doubt be excited to hear about Friday the 13th, there will be some asking why Kickstarter is needed at all, given the name value of the property, and those behind the scenes understand any initial skepticism. Said Keltner, “It would be something that I think, unprovoked, someone might just think that [it isn’t needed]. But just because Sean came to us with this incredible opportunity, it’s not like he showed up with big bags of money and was like ‘whatever you need!’ It doesn’t work that way. “ Added Hobbs, “And it usually doesn’t work that way with IP. Just because there’s IP doesn’t mean there’s millions in a bank account somewhere to be used for a video game. Usually you pay for that.”

ee

Keltner said they feel as though they’re in the spirit of the original Friday the 13th film, remarking, “When Sean made the first Friday the 13th movie, he had no budget. He had to scrap and get by. He sees that similarity but what’s driving this right now is -- sure we have a little bit of money as a company that we’re putting into this but he sees that passion is what’s fueling that. That’s what’s been inspiring to me is that he’s seeing that overlap with what where he used to be and what we’re doing with this. It’s awesome that that’s what potentially also drove him to come and say ‘No, it’s not a big Hollywood deal where you have to come and pay me to do all of this.’ No, this is a mutual respect kind of thing. You’re doing this the right way and you deserve to work with this. I didn't’ wake up the next morning and I’m Scrooge McDucking it through a vault. We’re the same team that is still trying to figure out, ‘Where does all this money come from?’ We have that opportunity now that we can do the things we wanted to do with this all along, but it’s just going to require more money to do that."

ff

As for another question that might come up, Keltner said, “Someone may say ‘Oh, you got Friday the 13th, why don’t you go to a publisher and they’ll give you a bunch of money because it’s Friday the 13th.’ Publishing as a whole right now is a lot more conservative than they used to be. We’re asymmetric, so a multiplayer focused game, they’re already like ‘We haven’t seen this, so we’re uneasy about it’ and then we’re like, ‘Oh, we’re Friday the 13th and it’s going to be gore, wholesale.’ You can just see them backpedaling out of the room. They’re stepping out of the room and fans are going “f**k yes,” so why not go to them. Why not be right there with them and say, ‘We can make this together. We just need your help to do it.’ That’s why we’re going to them.”

The Game Play

So what’s the experience of playing Friday the 13th like? Explained Hobbs, “At the core, it’s Jason. One player takes on the role of Jason, who is hunting counselors and up to seven people take on the role of counselors who are trying to escape and survive the night through a variety of ways. We have a lot of cool, dynamic game play elements. The core as a counselor is to find a weapon and defend yourself, stick together and do some teamwork, utilize traps, call for police if you can find the phone box, or fix vehicles so you can escape. There’s a lot of things you can do and we don’t force any of them on you. It’s like you’re in a movie now; make your own decisions. Likewise, Jason has a lot of cool abilities that help him hunt down the counselors. Right when the game starts, s**t hits the fan and it’s up to you to figure out what you’re going to do.”

cc

Said Keltner, “Anyone who has watched any horror movie, regardless of if it’s Friday the 13th or not, someone in your group of friends looked at you and said ‘What would you have done?’ And everyone has their theory, like ‘I would have got in a car and took off’ or ‘I would have been running.’ You get to try that now. The interesting thing we’re seeing in play tests is you might have a great plan but when Jason steps out in the woods and he’s controlled by a person, he’s unpredictable. It’s light switch, cockroaches. People just run. So every good plan completely falls apart. That’s what I love about this is everyone can talk a big game when they’re watching a movie but we give you the rope to hang yourself here. We give you the tools and say ‘Go ahead, see what happens.’”

As for the setting and the classic slasher movie elements, Keltner promised, “It’s definitely 80s. There’s an 80s tone. All the visual treatments and all the tropes are that. We have the classics so to speak. It’s the jock and the hero girl and they all have their subtleties and stats that’ll make them better so that you can look and go ‘That’s the jock, he’s stronger so maybe he can take down Jason,’ but yet maybe he can’t drive. It’s a nice trade off but it’s not so forced that you can’t break out of it. The sex and nudity and stuff is all things we’re going to be working on. It wouldn’t be a slasher movie without those things. So we’re definitely going to be thinking about that.”

bb

Greenback said they wanted people to really feel nostalgia playing Friday the 13th, noting, “All those movies, everybody watched them on VHS, so having the tracking effects be a theme from the VHS tapes, throughout the UI and throughout key moments in the game even, like the wrap up AR screen, just having that stuff to tie it all together, the throwback nostalgia effect and the fact that you just got the s**t scared out of you.”

Jason Voorhees has had many different looks throughout the Friday the 13th series and the game will reflect that. “That’s part of our unlock tree,” noted Hobbs. “Whether you’re playing as a counselor or as Jason, you’ll have a universal profile that levels up. You’ll be unlocking new counselors to play as, as well as new versions of Jason. We’re going to go through the franchise and we all have our favorites and we’re going to listen to the fans as well. I’m not telling you how many yet, but there will be multiple versions of Jason, who all have their own unique weapon that’s specific to that film, so to speak. As you can see, Kane has the machete from Part VII. But we have some other ones in there and they will look dead on and spot on for the fans. That’s part of our deal is to make them as realistic as possible.”

Bringing Together Friday the 13th All-Stars

While Sean Cunningham’s the one who made it possible for Summer Camp to become Friday the 13th, Harry Manfredini, Tom Savini and Kane Hodder were all actually already involved in the game beforehand, and all essentially in their original capacity. For fans of the series, having all of these men onboard is something of a dream team, given their history with the franchise - With Cunningham having begun it all as the director of the original (and producer on a couple of the more recent films), Savini providing the memorable makeup FX for both the original and fourth films, Hodder becoming the actor most identified with Jason via his work in the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th movies, and Manfredini scoring the majority of the films in the franchise.

For the Friday the 13th game, Hodder will once more be playing Jason, via mocap, while Savini will be creating new kills and new Jason looks - this time to be brought to life in the digital realm and not via makeup. And Manfredini, of course, will provide the music.

Hodder is also a stuntman, and as Keltner noted, with a laugh, “We found out early you can’t use motion capture actors with Kane Hodder. He’s going to break something. So you have to bring other stuntmen in. I actually love that. That visceral, brutal feeling and visual that you get when you watch a Jason movie, you get to feel that in this game and do it the right way. It needs to really feel like Friday the 13th. It needs to look like a Friday the 13th kill. I wanted to make sure we have the right team. You have Tom who is going to help push the gore, push the kill, make it creative and innovative. That’s what sold in the movies. That’s what people came back and wanted to see. There’s no other person that can do that. It has to be Tom. But then who is the person that’s conducting that? Who is the person that’s saying ‘This is how you swing the machete, this is how Jason would pick someone up, this is how he would smash their face into a tree.’ Well there’s no other person than Kane because he’s done it already. Then when you take one more step back from that it’s ‘And then how does this whole thing sound?’ There’s those cues, those moments and all the pieces that make up the music from those films when you watch it, it has to be Harry Manfredini. He’s the one that wrote all that, including the Jason sound. There’s nobody else. We already knew this was the right team of talent to bring to the table, even on our little small game Summer Camp. It’s just fantastic that now, Like Ronnie was saying, we get to completely unleash them and say we can do it again. It’s like getting the band back together.”

The lat time Hodder played Jason was in 2002's Jason X, and the actor said, of the mocap process, “I just love the fact that, in a way, I’m going to be back behind the mask, even if it’s not literally,” before adding, “You know what... I may wear a mask!”

Hodder remarked, “I said it before, I never was ready to quit playing the character. I was just replaced and didn’t like that idea. I wasn’t finished by any means. This is a great opportunity to come back and kill some mother**kers.”

Despite it being 31 years since he last worked on a Friday the 13th film, Savini said it really felt like he was picking up where he left off, describing it as, “The same. It’s going to be exactly the same. What Sean was saying yesterday... Me, Sean, Steve [Miner] and sometimes Victor Miller would sit around and create the kills. We’re doing the same thing but with different people.”

Manfredini said it’s been interesting adapting to creating music for a game because, “I live visually. You show me something, I score it. I know how to do that. What I’m doing now is scoring something I don’t even see. So what I’m having to do is make this world sized crossword puzzle so that no matter what the player chooses, the music will be available for that particular choice of the player. The player is actually scoring the film. I’m giving him two thousand possible choices to make. It’s a strange thing because you’re literally creating your own score but I’m sitting here going’, ‘What if he does that? Well that would be a choice.’” Manfredini said he hates when video game music is repetitive and that, “I want to create enough music for every possible choice that it doesn’t keep looping around itself, that the score keeps moving. “

Savini acknowledged it’s funny to find himself working in the digital realm, given his practical FX background and the disdain some fans have for CGI used in place of prosthetics in film. But with a game, of course, “The whole thing is CGI, really. But we can say we motion captured Kane and we were doing it as practical as possible and they know when they’re watching it is that it was done practical and we’re not adding arms on Kane or throwing people fifty feet in the air. It’s going to be very real.”

Cunningham was thrilled to have his fellow Friday alum onboard, saying, “I think one of the characteristics of all three of them is that they care so much about the quality of what they’re doing. If they’re making a movie, I know how dedicated they are and if they’re making a game, I know they’re going to take that same dedication to a new and higher level so I think Gun made the right choices there.”

Hodder noted, “There’s not too many people, in any capacity, that have been involved in more than one of the Friday the 13th films. Not a whole lot who have done more than one. Those main guys were the veterans together. When I heard Tom and Harry were going to be involved, I thought, ‘Wow, this is real.’”

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game

$700,000 in a month seems a incredibly optimistic goal.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Optimistic, yes but drat that would be a fun game..

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Binding of Isaac also has a great difficulty curve where at first you die over and over on the opening levels and then later on you squeak past the finish line with some luck, and then after a hundred hours or so you're at the zen state of "Well I got no damage upgrades whatsoever and have 1 health left, I can probably win anyway." Thing is, unlike other games with difficulty curves like this it breaks it up a little because the random drops mean that you can get an absolutely amazing setup just a few games in, so you get a taste of what a perfect run can be like and play more to chase that vision instead of giving up.

e: The aesthetics aren't a huge concern for me. I'm not the type to go "Dead babies! Poop! Hell yeah!" but after clocking like 400 hours into the original and the remake altogether, it's grown on me a little I guess. I don't mind it at least.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I logged my 46 hours in the original BoI while my wife was pregnant with our first child, which gave me some super hosed up nightmares. Really added to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pfft. Markiplier is playing SOMA now. He's suspicious of Carl because he just got done running away from the killer robot, so he backs past Carl without a word and throws the electrocution switch, then stares at him for a full minute while Carl screetches in pain, then runs away and leaves him without ever talking to him.

It's like the Voight-Kampf test where you get told you aren't flipping the turtle over. Geez.