Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Meet the Hollowheads is awesome and should be viewed by all, it's like Terry Gilliam had a nightmare about Saved by the Bell.

I just watched this on the strength of this comment what a trip. Is there anything else like that movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

It's not like they're going to make a new complete series set with unique content just 6 months after this complete series set, so the worst any double-dip would be is a slightly elongated package that fits the additional BD case in it. If that is a real fear for you, go ahead and wait.

All signs point to them being 16:9. That's what the press release says, they're streaming in HD in 16:9 on Netflix, and Chris Carter very recently said that they had protected for widescreen all along so he's super happy with how it looks. 4:3 purists for seasons 1-4 will have to stick with the DVDs for those seasons I think (similar to the situation with The Wire).

Life is pain.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've watched season 1 in HD and didn't notice any bad framing in 16:9. Series looks great, definitely going to get this set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've watched season 1 in HD and didn't notice any bad framing in 16:9. Series looks great, definitely going to get this set.

It just feels wrong.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I completely agree, but it isn't as jarring as the Wire at least

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

X-Files always aimed for a cinematic look and with the exception of the first episode I haven't come across any odd framing. It looks good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jeez those features have to be old as poo poo if Kim Manners is doing commentaries. Sadly no Morgan/Wong stuff since they did some of the best episodes.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
A purist shouldn't watch a '90s TV show in HD anyway.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
My life is complete.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Region-free? Extras?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's region 2. I stumbled upon it today while shopping and got it immediately because I was under the impression there was no blu ray. Or maybe there wasn't one for region 2? Anyway, turns out this one was released just Thursday.

Audio commentary with writer-producer-director John Boorman
Brand new interviews with Boorman, actor Sara Kestelman, production designer Anthony Pratt, special effects creator Gerry Johnston, camera operator Peter MacDonald, assistant director Simon Relph, hair stylist Colin Jamison, production manager Seamus Byrne, and assistant editor Alan Jones
No interview with Sir Connery :argh:
Theatrical trailer
Radio spots

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I'd heard of this and knew it was weird, but holy poo poo that movie looks insane and kind of unpleasant to watch.

RaceyBucket posted:

I just watched this on the strength of this comment what a trip. Is there anything else like that movie?

It really reminds me of The Dark Backward, which is why I love it so much: it's truly this perfectly developed vision, expertly executed, clearly everyone involved in the making of it loved what they were doing, it's the most upsetting thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-c7CV8PDU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hollowheads, Dark Backward, and Human Highway would probably make for an excellent, nauseating triple feature.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Region-free? Extras?

Twilight Time put out a Zardoz blu that's still in stock if this is a must have.

caligulamprey posted:

It really reminds me of The Dark Backward, which is why I love it so much: it's truly this perfectly developed vision, expertly executed, clearly everyone involved in the making of it loved what they were doing, it's the most upsetting thing I've ever seen.

Speaking of movies that need to be on blu-ray! But yeah that trailer did a lot to remind me of the Dark Backward because until now I've never come across anything with the same vibe.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hollowheads, Dark Backward, and Human Highway would probably make for an excellent, nauseating triple feature.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Human Highway blu-ray in some Neil Young box set? What happened with that?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun fact: I rode my bike all around Portland looking for a copy the day The Dark Backward got released on DVD and got hit by a car. I still had to buy the motherfucker off Amazon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a Human Highway blu-ray in some Neil Young box set? What happened with that?

I think it's on the way, they just played a new print here a few weeks ago, which I shamefully missed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Fun fact: I rode my bike all around Portland looking for a copy the day The Dark Backward got released on DVD and got hit by a car. I still had to buy the motherfucker off Amazon.

Well at least you got it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think it's on the way, they just played a new print here a few weeks ago, which I shamefully missed.

Is this something they did in other cities or was it just a New York/LA thing?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new Spartacus release is a revelation. I'd put it on par with the Lawrence Of Arabia remaster. Just stunning in motion.

It really makes me hope that Warner gets off their rear end and does 4K remasters for the rest of Kubrick's filmography.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We all know they've got a spankin' transfer of A Clockwork Orange, so with any luck it's just a matter of time.

CPL593H posted:

Is this something they did in other cities or was it just a New York/LA thing?

Well it was here in Seattle, so presumably multiple cities! Crossing my fingers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

The new Spartacus release is a revelation. I'd put it on par with the Lawrence Of Arabia remaster. Just stunning in motion.

It really makes me hope that Warner gets off their rear end and does 4K remasters for the rest of Kubrick's filmography.

They're halfway there. Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon have 4K masters on the shelf. Only ACO hasn't been used for Blu-Ray yet. Sony did Dr. Strangelove at 4K, as did Criterion with The Killing.

It would be really neat if Warner could get the Kubrick estate to approve including the deleted premiere cut scenes for 2001 since they were located a few years ago. The Museum of Modern Art also has the workprint reel with the original pie fight ending to Dr. Strangelove.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

It would be really neat if Warner could get the Kubrick estate to approve including the deleted premiere cut scenes for 2001 since they were located a few years ago. The Museum of Modern Art also has the workprint reel with the original pie fight ending to Dr. Strangelove.

I'm actually vibrating.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm actually vibrating.

Think about how in 2025, people will finally be seeing The Day the Clown Cried and with the blessing of Jerry Lewis, no less.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

They're halfway there. Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon have 4K masters on the shelf. Only ACO hasn't been used for Blu-Ray yet. Sony did Dr. Strangelove at 4K, as did Criterion with The Killing.

Stanley Kubrick was pretty notoriously strict about no one getting to see what he cut (go so far as to have footage destroyed after it was edited out of film), so I wouldn't hold my breath. Seeing the Strangelove pie fight would be glorious though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Didn't they find the cut ending of The Shining in a salt mine too, or was that 2001?

Why are they always finding old film canisters in salt mines, anyway?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caligulamprey posted:

Didn't they find the cut ending of The Shining in a salt mine too, or was that 2001?

Why are they always finding old film canisters in salt mines, anyway?

Perfect natural place to store film.

quote:

Businesses prefer this storage because of the constant temperature and relative humidity, the high security level created by “shaft only” access, and the mine’s safeguard from natural disasters like tornadoes, floods, hurricanes or earthquakes.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I'm glad I bought the first Vincent Price collection when I did. It seems to be going for roughly double on the secondary market.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Perfect natural place to store film.

Heh, shaft access.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I'm glad I bought the first Vincent Price collection when I did. It seems to be going for roughly double on the secondary market.

Scream Factory had the rights pulled out from under them all of a sudden and they had to discontinue it immediately. Though this was only for the titles to be sold as a set. I asked them if they would be reissuing any of them individually and they basically said yes but not any time soon. They also didn't say which titles.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 11, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just put out Dr. Phibes out on its own.

I mean, every single movie in that set is absolutely worth watching but Phibes is just the best. :allears:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

CPL593H posted:

Heh, shaft access.

Scream Factory had the rights pulled out from under them all of a sudden and they had to discontinue it immediately. Though this was only for the titles to be sold as a set. I asked them if they would be reissuing any of them individually and they basically said yes but not any time soon. They also didn't say which titles.

Hopefully they would still incorporate the Iowa Public Television intros and closings. They really add a lot to the experience.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Universal actually managed to use the old master when pressing discs for Germany and maybe some other european countries :doh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I guess that means there's no chance of getting a third volume of that Vincent Price stuff, huh? It's weird that the original Fly wasn't in either of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So I guess that means there's no chance of getting a third volume of that Vincent Price stuff, huh? It's weird that the original Fly wasn't in either of them.

I think Fox holds on to that one pretty tight, both it and the remake are directly released by them and not licensed out. (I guess they make more of the money that way? I dunno.)

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

TheJoker138 posted:

Shout must have access to a handful of films. They've hinted at it.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $9.99

By far the cheapest I've ever seen that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wild - $5 (under other sellers, currently on backorder)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...V7BQHEQUFAVUC4Z

I don't know how good that movie is but a brand new release with a digital HD copy seems like a solid deal.

Also, The Picture Of Dorian Grey - $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZNQUZJMU6N42YUS

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Christine - $8.99
Taxi Driver - $9.99
Jumanji (2015 anniversary edition) - $7.50
Men in Black (Mastered in 4K) - $6.99
The Indian in the Cupboard - $6.50
Ghostbusters (Mastered in 4K) - $6.49

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn't even know Christine was on bluray. I have it on DVD.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If anyone is on the fence about this, the picture quality on the 4K remaster is light years better than the hideous 2009 Blu-ray.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Seems to be in-store only, but crazy price at Best Buy for Back To The Future: The Complete Adventures (includes the 3 films + the complete animated series) - $50, with the ability to do in-store pickup. Compare that $87 at Amazon (and even people who preordered and locked in at the lowest price only got down to $80).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Lots of Criterion horror films on sale at Amazon right now - http://amzn.to/1NqEmNw

including:
Videodrome
Scanners
Don't Look Now
Rosemary's Baby
Repulsion
House
The Uninvited
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone (spine 666!)

• Locked thread