Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toby Whithouse presents Doc to the Future II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Toby Whithouse presents Doc to the Future II

Is that General Grevious' head?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is that General Grevious' head?

On Legion from Mass Effect's body!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"Let's stick together"

<immediately splits up>

Edit: holy poo poo that deafness effect

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wha.... what did they think was going to happen?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SHE DAREDEVILED IT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fisher King: .....gently caress.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yup, saw that coming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yup, saw that coming

Yep, but it was done in a very satisfying way.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm confused.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, it's like an episode of Colombo. You know who did it and you know they'll get caught but it's about the ride.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I hope every episode from here on out begins with Peter Capaldi lecturing the audience about time paradoxes like Jonathan Frakes in Beyond Belief. And then playing the theme song on his guitar.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Viking Seven Samurai with Maisie Williams. Oh yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 4th Wall Breaking was a little bit much for me, but otherwise that was a thoroughly enjoyable episode and a nice follow-up to the first part.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Fil5000 posted:

"Let's stick together"

<immediately splits up>

Edit: holy poo poo that deafness effect

At least Clara realized how dumb she was for forgetting she was walking with a Deaf person
and yes that stalking scene was sorta terrifying

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. That grin he did over the top of the control panel was pure Tom Baker. :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The 4th Wall Breaking was a little bit much for me, but otherwise that was a thoroughly enjoyable episode and a nice follow-up to the first part.

My thoughts exactly. Felt a little too short, actually.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

All in all I thought that was an okay to decent two parter. I'm still not massively keen on too much time travel in the middle of the story (which is about a time travelling alien, I never said it was a rational dislike) but it worked okay.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That felt really fast compared to part one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I hope they keep the guitar going forward for Capaldi. That was amazing.

My favourite two parter in a very long time.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That was great and refreshingly understated, compared to the bombast of the past few episodes.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
A very polished two-parter. I'm okay with a show like this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stabbatical posted:

That was great and refreshingly understated, compared to the bombast of the past few episodes.

It's pretty funny that the episode that starts with ROCK GUITAR is the least bombastic.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Heh. That grin he did over the top of the control panel was pure Tom Baker. :allears:

I love it when he's channeling Tom. He's his own Doctor but I like the little throwbacks.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was ok. I prefer the first part. That said, I liked how low-key this episode was, and the unusual setting for the past. Thought they'd've given the Fisher King more things to do (or given a relevance to the name). As a two parter, the episodes are fine follow-on. On its own, meh, I still think the first part was stronger.

Daredevil vision bit was dumb too - completely broke the tension they were building up with a bad filter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That was much better than the last two-parter, and generally a good episode in and of itself.

Despite being very predictable.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I enjoyed that very much indeed. If the rest of the season is more in line with this in terms of pacing than the opening two-parter (which I liked a good deal too, but wouldn't necessarily want eight more episodes of), I'm going to be very happy.

DaredevilVision was really silly, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
We knew exactly what was going to happen (or at least the major events) which was disappointing. Normally two parters have a verrrry long first act (for the first episode) and then the second and third acts just get shoved into the second part so it's just so much running around. This was a bit different - the denouement was given a bit of room to breathe, which was ok, but highlighted a few things that normally would be a lot easier to gloss over (ie the inconsistent way time travel worked - you had the causal loop of the Doctor's ghost, with it being specifically addressed why it didn't turn up earlier but the rules changed to Back to the Future style "things change when the audience observes them change" for O'Donnell's appearance as a ghost). Still pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the first part.

The Fisher King looked gorgeous in silhouette.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That'll do, pig. That'll do. If that's the new normal, then the good stuff is going to be mindblowing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love The Doctor's electric guitar. 12 is really showing his previous selves what real cool is.

DoctorWhat posted:

if there's a box that contains someone mysterious, 99% of the time the Doctor's in it. The Pandorica, the coffin from BF: A Death in the Family, etc.

Nicely predicted DoctorWhat. :golfclap:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 10, 2015

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I couldn't stop thinking that The Fisher King looked like the Xenomorph/Predator hybrid. Excellent episode though. The intro was beautiful. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, the Doctor got his Scottish from Amy and his Dying All The Time from Rory, right?

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The only thing I didn't like about that was that the ending basically boiled down to making a song and dance over the same concept as the awesome throwaway-gag-as-essential-plot-point which resolves the cliffhanger from The Pandorica Opens.

O'Donnell's death felt a bit cheap, and generally I agree with Jakiri.

What I did realise during the rock intro/theme was that had I not watched the TV movie, bought the DWM special and started watching repeats on UK Gold 19 years ago, I would still have ended up a Doctor Who fan. I haven't felt goodwill towards the series like this since Season 5 :)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bit poo poo how it was resolved.

If he could create a fake ghost for himself, he could do it for everyone else, apart from the first guy killed in the flames. Hell he could even save the caretaker.
Just substitute fake holograms with each of them when they died, hey presto.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Fisher King looked gorgeous in silhouette.

Yeah, he was a really awesome monster design. Kinda saddened he didn't have more screen time.

Speaking of costumes, really liking that armor/robot from the preview for next week.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

If he could create a fake ghost for himself, he could do it for everyone else, apart from the first guy killed in the flames. Hell he could even save the caretaker.

His Google Glass is still a prototype and can only hold the memory for one hologram at once.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

pretty good, not as good as part 1, but still entertaining enough.

Autonomous Monster posted:

e: second goddamn plotline in a row playing the "Doctor's going to die" card :argh:

it's gotten to the point where I feel like RTD did it best, with 10 just not wanting to let go of himself and become the next incarnation, instead of this constant "i'm going to die... for realz this time" repeat.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

So, the Doctor got his Scottish from Amy and his Dying All The Time from Rory, right?

the best thing you've said

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that. Clara's "I'm an idiot" made me laugh because it completely hadn't occurred to me either and I was thinking "wait, why is she an idi- oh"

But the Fisher King's plan seems sort of stupid, I guess he enslaves the beardy planet, then other dudes come to stop him and they're winning. He fakes his death so one of the beardies takes him away to some backwater planet where he can send his ghost message to I guess the fishman home planet. Could he not have just got up a bit earlier and gone "hey, beardy, take me back to my home planet or I'll bash you" or just piloted the hearse back itself or something? Or gone somewhere with a better spaceship and take that one? I guess he was just being a dick unless I've missed something obvious.

And if he waited that long wouldn't they have crowned their next king and given up on him anyway? Plus he'd be the guy who just ran away from his duties when things went bad. I guess fishmen just do things differently. Or he was an idiot. I liked his design though.

I guess I'd class that as the second time this series the Doctor has seen a flaw in the bad guy's plan, given him enough rope to hang himself with and then hosed off. I quite like that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

His Google Glass is still a prototype and can only hold the memory for one hologram at once.

So do it in jumps, like how he got ported back half an hour.
Only need to do one at a time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That was a decent episode. I'm glad the lip reading turned out to be completely accurate. Cass was generally really competent and cool. The Fisher King never really turned into a proper character, though. For developing the first part so beautifully, the second episode felt a bit rushed.

happyhippy posted:

He could have replaced the ghosts with holograms, but he could not have stopped the people from dying, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• Locked thread