Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
StarCraft 2's final expansion had a prologue come out.

It completely killed the last sliver of hope I had of the writing getting up to the, while hardly great, enjoyable level of writing that Brood Wars had.

Every character basically got swapped for awful WoW characters, half the backstory has been changed, they added like 10 characters with 0 explanation that everyone acts like they already know, and the voice acting isn't half as good. This isn't always Blizzard's fault, Zeratul's voice actor died, for example. But for some of the others, they just dropped the ball.

That's without going into the lackluster multiplayer and completely laughable custom game UI even five years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Anatharon posted:

StarCraft 2's final expansion had a prologue come out.

It completely killed the last sliver of hope I had of the writing getting up to the, while hardly great, enjoyable level of writing that Brood Wars had.

Every character basically got swapped for awful WoW characters, half the backstory has been changed, they added like 10 characters with 0 explanation that everyone acts like they already know, and the voice acting isn't half as good. This isn't always Blizzard's fault, Zeratul's voice actor died, for example. But for some of the others, they just dropped the ball.

That's without going into the lackluster multiplayer and completely laughable custom game UI even five years later.

They definitely blew their wad with Wings, with a good number of characters, plotlines, and missions. HotS was linear and uninspired (and re-used a lot of the creative missions even), and the first two missions of the prologue are "build a giant army to steamroll the enemy", which is the least creative mission archetype possible, followed by "guide a hero around a dungeon", which is mission 3 :smith:

E: I got off track; Wings had 4 storylines and while not high art, they served the gameplay well enough. HotS had one story, 'Kerrigan gets the zerg back together' with zero nuance or story progression, and things aren't looking great for Protoss fighting Dark Spooky Voice Who Says He'll End The Universe [E2: Which of course was one of the Wings storylines already]

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Oct 8, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Leveling alt classes in FF14 past 50:

First problem is the fact the challenge log in FF14 doesn't scale in xp after level 49. From 50 on you'll earn the same amount of xp from your weekly challenge log for classes that aren't gathering or crafting classes. Before completing the different challenges would give you a nice chunk of xp, now you get what feels like a single percentage or 2 every week.

Second: Leves, pre 50 you can accept and turn in leves in the area you're leveling at. After 50 you have to pick up the leves in one town, you can get 3 at most, and whenever you finish them you don't get to go straight back to the levemete like the pre 50 ones, no you have to go back to the main town to turn them in and grab another batch. Also since there is only 3 leves per level range you'll have to do lower leveled leves or do crafting/gathering leves for the "do 5 different leve type" challenge log

Thirdly, when it comes to getting to 51 from 50 you get zero xp from any of the 16 level 50 dungeons in the game, the mobs simply do not give any xp. This makes high level roulette loving worthless for leveling purposes cause the xp you get at the conclusion is crap. I know that is going to be fixed in an upcoming patch, but the expansion should of launched with that.

E: Oh and for gearing purposes, all accessories cannot be bought from NPC vendors for gil. You have to get amber that is in chests that randomly appear during leves to get them from NPCs or you can buy them from the marketboard for an absolutely outrageous markup. I think a single bracelet would of ran more then my entire left side equipment

Leal has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Oct 8, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Please tell us what leves and challenge logs are.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Please tell us what leves and challenge logs are.

It's Square being stupid and making up words because the ones that already exist aren't good enough. I had someone explain it all to me but can't actually remember any of it. Which is a big part of why I didn't even try the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Challenge logs are a weekly thing where it tells you to do something and it gives an xp payout (complete 10 fates, run 3 dungeons, etc) and leves are basically repeatable quests that are generally "Go here and kill this/collect this (where an enemy will spawn after collection)". Fates are randomly occurring events that gives an xp payout at the conclusion.

They had to actually increase the xp payout from fates in the expansion cause it was literally better to continue doing fates in one zone. It still kinda is actually if just because there are more players participating in them (provided like 80% of them are bots)

E: Basically, a game that makes money off reoccurring subs has made drat sure to stretch out the leveling in the expansion. I'm sure it was quicker to level classes from 1 to 50 then it is to go from 50 to 60

Leal has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Oct 8, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So leves and challenge logs are basically dailies, and fates are a kind of random encounter quest which there probably is a name for.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leal posted:

Challenge logs are a weekly thing where it tells you to do something and it gives an xp payout (complete 10 fates, run 3 dungeons, etc) and leves are basically repeatable quests that are generally "Go here and kill this/collect this (where an enemy will spawn after collection)". Fates are randomly occurring events that gives an xp payout at the conclusion.

They had to actually increase the xp payout from fates in the expansion cause it was literally better to continue doing fates in one zone. It still kinda is actually if just because there are more players participating in them (provided like 80% of them are bots)

E: Basically, a game that makes money off reoccurring subs has made drat sure to stretch out the leveling in the expansion. I'm sure it was quicker to level classes from 1 to 50 then it is to go from 50 to 60

I honestly thought your L key was busted or something. Why can't they just call leves instances?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

FFXIV is a huge goddamn chore of a game and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're unemployed and depressed and even then get out when your trial month is up.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

I honestly thought your L key was busted or something. Why can't they just call leves instances?

Because they aren't instances, they're just repeatable quests.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

FFXIV is a huge goddamn chore of a game and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're unemployed and depressed and even then get out when your trial month is up.

To be fair, I played it for a while a few years back (after the launch of ARR) and it's a VERY pretty WoW substitute if nothing else.

Things dragging FF14 down: the adorable reindeer onesie costume is now a cash shop item.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Krinkle posted:

uhhh yeah it's an mmo they're all like this

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

ArtIsResistance posted:

uhhh yeah it's an mmo they're all like this

There are a few out there that actually feel like they're respecting your time though and give you a fun distraction and reward you for just putting in half an hour when you have some downtime. Those are few and far between and tend to not do so well since they can't keep the super spergs entertained though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I understand shotguns have a lot more range in real life than in games, but I just got killed by someone in Battlefield 4 using a shotgun while I was ground level and about 12 or so feet away and he was on a 2nd floor looking out a window.

In a similar manner, the rebels have a hilariously uphill battle versus the empire in the walker gametype on the Battlefront demo, I mean the rebels usually lose but it doesn't exactly for compelling gameplay.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I understand shotguns have a lot more range in real life than in games, but I just got killed by someone in Battlefield 4 using a shotgun while I was ground level and about 12 or so feet away and he was on a 2nd floor looking out a window.
Were they using Slugs? Because Slug Sniping in Battlefield is a thing.
The Bullhorn Stun shotgun in MGO shoots a slug, should see if I can snipe with that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Croccers posted:

The Bullhorn Stun shotgun in MGO shoots a slug, should see if I can snipe with that.

Enemies in Phantom Pain will try to snipe you with shotguns. It's kind of hilarious to be standing in one spot and suddenly you're getting plinked by like one out of however dozen pellets fired from the very edge of the shotgun's range.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers posted:

He was using buckshot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mokinokaro posted:

Not always. Sometimes licensing gets very expensive to get the rights to the Japanese actors. Basically, within Japan, the union sets the salaries (and they're actually surprising low) but outside of the region VAs get to dictate whatever price they want and they usually demand any negotiations be done face to face.

It's also why we see a lot of Japanese games that are only available dubbed. I mean SpaceDrake mentioned over at NeoGAF that licensing the second set of voices for Fortune Summoners (the ones for the deluxe rerelease that was done by professional VAs) would've cost quite a bit more than the profit they made from localizing. The VAs have a tendency to highly inflate their prices and sometimes even decide they won't let their work be licensed period.

Well, I just done got told.

That's actually pretty interesting though, I didn't realize that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Alteisen posted:

In a similar manner, the rebels have a hilariously uphill battle versus the empire in the walker gametype on the Battlefront demo, I mean the rebels usually lose but it doesn't exactly for compelling gameplay.

shotguns should totally kill someone twelve feet away

and a lot further than that

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A shotgun will gently caress you up at anything less than 100 feet.

At 101 feet, the pellets disperse enough to only do scratch damage.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Oct 10, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's the damage falloff, after 100 feet the pellets lose like half of their damage and if you bought kevlar that round it pretty much can't kill you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the hard life addon for 7.62mm they added loving gun control to the "protected" zone, where you will be spending some time at. Each weapon is classified as civilian, hunting, security, military and illegal and if you don't have the proper license you'll get your poo poo taken from you by the police, unless you bribe them which can fail or unless you throw them all in your car. So you have this annoyance of having to put your equipment in your vehicle whenever you're farting around in the protected zone (While its rare, its still completely possible to get into a fight... where you can't access your trunk anymore) and having to reequip your stuff when you leave. Ah but not only do you get frisked in town, but every time you leave the protected zone and when you come back in you are forced to stop at a police checkpoint and they actually do check your car for weapons. Your options are to pay a 5 grand bribe each time, meaning you'll have to pay 10k total each trip in and out or do a fight... where there is like 6 officers standing point blank to your mercenaries, and I don't even know how many more are hiding around in the big rear end map the police checkpoint is in.

Its a squad based tactical RTS, all you're doing is carrying around weapons and ideally getting bigger weapons. Its a gigantic annoyance until you can get licenses... but even then you're still limited cause some weapons are flat out illegal. And if you wanted to be neutral or join the rebels you're essentially locked out of a few licenses. Why is the banana republic that this game takes place in actually California?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried out the Star Wars Battlefront beta with a friend today. Overall it isn't that bad but the gameplay is fairly simplified over the battlefield stuff. While yes, it's not a battlefield game, it totally is. The first thing that drags it down for me is once you've got everything to unlock in the beta (which takes about 2-3 hours?) there's just not a lot of game there to keep playing. I had fun but everything interesting is completely random at the moment. I'm not sure if it's a permanent feature or just a beta feature but all the vehicles, heroes and extra weapons are just random pickups so there's very little strategy to any of it and without that it's just a regular deathmatch game.

However what really did drag the whole experience down for me is the music. Seriously, Star Wars needs some new music already.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Luke Skywalker is what is dragging Battlefront down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqtUAg4hkw

Dammit, Luke.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
All I can figure out about controlling things in Besiege is going backwards and forwards. Turning? Nope. Just can't wrap my head around it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mierenneuker posted:

Luke Skywalker is what is dragging Battlefront down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqtUAg4hkw

Dammit, Luke.

Christ that map looks small

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Christ that map looks small

Nah, it's pretty big.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What's really starting to drag MGSV down for me, is ocelot. Why is he acting so out of character all of a sudden? Even in MGS3 he was cocky and acted like, well, a younger version of himself. In 5 he's suddenly Mr. serious straightman and even gets some other guy to do the electro shock torture. It's kind of disappointing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RillAkBea posted:

However what really did drag the whole experience down for me is the music. Seriously, Star Wars needs some new music already.

I'm honestly waiting to see if that becomes part of one of the DLCs.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

What's really starting to drag MGSV down for me, is ocelot. Why is he acting so out of character all of a sudden? Even in MGS3 he was cocky and acted like, well, a younger version of himself. In 5 he's suddenly Mr. serious straightman and even gets some other guy to do the electro shock torture. It's kind of disappointing.

He also seems to have a creepy crush on boss.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

so he's not TOTALLY out of character

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Thin Privilege posted:

I take it you've never played MGS3 or 4 then?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It's been nearly a decade.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Nuebot posted:

I like the idea I've heard that he's more sedate because you tranqed him in the head 20 times during the mother base tutorial.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ChaosArgate posted:

I take it you've never played MGS3 or 4 then?

I did but I was kind of a drunk at the time so I don't remember anything. Videos online aren't too creepy. I'll have to bust out the fatty PS3 to play them again, been meaning to anyways.

Although I do remember that I hated Raiden and that last fight with a bunch of metal gears (?). I literally broke my TV because I threw my controller into it.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Oct 11, 2015

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

I did but I was kind of a drunk at the time so I don't remember anything. Videos online aren't too creepy. I'll have to bust out the fatty PS3 to play them again, been meaning to anyways.

Although I do remember that I hated Raiden and that last fight with a bunch of metal gears (?). I literally broke my TV because I threw my controller into it.

If you throw your controller, you have a mental illness.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It's been nearly a decade.

Yeah but like, he goes batshit crazy again in another decade.

Thinky Whale posted:

I like the idea I've heard that he's more sedate because you tranqed him in the head 20 times during the mother base tutorial.
I think I'm willing to accept this. Every time BigBoss shows up he just instinctively tranqs Ocelot, and probably anyone on his staff like I do.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah Bro posted:

If you throw your controller, you have a mental illness.

I won't disagree with that, I was untreated/unmedicated, and it was many years ago. That fight can go gently caress itself though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thin Privilege posted:

MGS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Yep just looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GwJt3pHl4