Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Homura's actions towards the end as well as her true motivations are awesome, make sense and elevate an already incredible movie to a worthy sequel to the series

I mean, as much as there is to love, without that twist it doesn't feel like a story that really needs to be told. Everything returns to status quo (except Homura gets mercy-killed), it's revealed Kyubi knows about Madoka, the end. It already felt a little cheesy how ALL YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS ARE HERE, EVEN THE DEAD/ASCENDED ONES, but nevermind that. I hope if there's ever a new series/movie (and there better be, we still know fuckall about wraiths and they went to all that effort to make a continuation even make sense), they don't somehow feel obliged to keep everyone around forever. I very much enjoyed how downright mean and relentless the series could get towards its characters (one of the things I also really enjoyed about Fate/Zero), so I hope they keep that up!

...if there's ever a new series :qq:

It is pretty much guaranteed to happen, even against Urobuchi's wishes. (He didn't even want to make a sequel movie.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It is pretty much guaranteed to happen, even against Urobuchi's wishes. (He didn't even want to make a sequel movie.)

Well, if he DOES stay onboard, this would at least guarantee the mean-spiritedness against the characters :haw:

I can't imagine another series without Urobuchi, Shinbo or Kajiura - and that's just the people I immediately recognized from their other works. It's still mind-blowing how good almost every single facet of the original series is. That's what worried me about the Rebellion movie, actually. There just seemed to be no room whatsoever for a proper continuation of the story, and the signs of being caught in the usual "unnecessary sequel" trappings appeared pretty soon. In the end, I think they avoided almost all of that (might be Urobuchi was especially aware of that danger?), but I don't think the same trick will work twice. For another series, I hope they find some other way to provide somewhat of a fresh start to avoid sequel baggage. Hell, they already have convenient universe reset / amnesia all around / a new and yet unknown enemy phenomenon... I think a new cast / general cast-cleanup is in order. (Not that I expect or want GRIMDARK KILL'EM ALL...)

Let me tell you about my important thoughts about the Madoka franchise *foams at mouth*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kellanved posted:

Homura owns in this, but people tend to forget that she is bugfuck insane. So don't expect well thought out decisions from her.

They did a good job with her crazy eyes

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm sorry I pre-judged you, Bebe.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

have you ever noticed that david caruso in csi miami does the same head tilt as the girls in madoka?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Perhaps the same could be said of all SHAFT shows

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

csi miami is my favorite anime is the thing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Well, if he DOES stay onboard, this would at least guarantee the mean-spiritedness against the characters :haw:

I can't imagine another series without Urobuchi, Shinbo or Kajiura - and that's just the people I immediately recognized from their other works. It's still mind-blowing how good almost every single facet of the original series is. That's what worried me about the Rebellion movie, actually. There just seemed to be no room whatsoever for a proper continuation of the story, and the signs of being caught in the usual "unnecessary sequel" trappings appeared pretty soon. In the end, I think they avoided almost all of that (might be Urobuchi was especially aware of that danger?), but I don't think the same trick will work twice. For another series, I hope they find some other way to provide somewhat of a fresh start to avoid sequel baggage. Hell, they already have convenient universe reset / amnesia all around / a new and yet unknown enemy phenomenon... I think a new cast / general cast-cleanup is in order. (Not that I expect or want GRIMDARK KILL'EM ALL...)

Let me tell you about my important thoughts about the Madoka franchise *foams at mouth*

It was kind of a double-whammy, actually. Not only did Urobuchi not intend to write a sequel movie, when he submitted the first script for Rebellion, it was supposed to end with Madoka being released and taking Homura with her to Magic Girl Valhalla. Shinbo and Kajiura didn't want it to end there, so they told him to add more. When Uro asked what the hell else they wanted because thematically, it wouldn't end right any other way unless Homura becomes Madoka's enemy. So, they told him to go with that, and that's what we got.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

csi miami is my favorite anime is the thing

Take your gaijin garbage back to miami

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

CSI Mami

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It was kind of a double-whammy, actually. Not only did Urobuchi not intend to write a sequel movie, when he submitted the first script for Rebellion, it was supposed to end with Madoka being released and taking Homura with her to Magic Girl Valhalla. Shinbo and Kajiura didn't want it to end there, so they told him to add more. When Uro asked what the hell else they wanted because thematically, it wouldn't end right any other way unless Homura becomes Madoka's enemy. So, they told him to go with that, and that's what we got.

I thought I had read the opposite, that Urobuchi decided on the Homura loving over Madoka ending being the more appropriate ending without being directed by Shinbo et al

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ the relevant interview is piss easy to google why are you going with half-remembered rumors.

http://feral-phoenix.livejournal.com/685568.html

quote:

What kind of story did you think up at first?

Urobuchi: From the start, the idea was “Homura becomes a witch, and the story takes place inside her barrier”. But at the time, I wanted to end the story with Madoka taking Homura away with her. So, I thought the story would end this time for real (laughs). But both Iwakami-san and Shinbou-san were like, “No, we want the story to keep going after this” and wouldn’t give me the OK. So then when I was getting really worried, Shinbou-san was like “Might as well just make Madoka and Homura into enemies”. And that suggestion was basically the breakthrough. I really agreed that Homura might be plausible as Madoka’s equal opposite.

So the plot came together based on the concept of Madoka and Homura becoming enemies.

Urobuchi: That’s right. Once I knew the direction I was working for, everything came together, so I wrote the screenplay after that. I wrote the first draft, and then came the revisions, and it ended up as it is now.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Namtab posted:

If we're talking symbolism tho then mami should have been the melon and not cheese

Space Flower posted:

I hope Ume showed up in a metapod suit

:agreed:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sayaka is a pivotal character and without her arc the story wouldn't be as memorable or intense. She embodies the typical human experience, trying to bury our selfish desires and rationalize the desires that float to the surface. Her flaws and fall are important, showing us how being dishonest and trying to maintain a perfect image and ruthlessly hold yourself to an unrealistic moral code can wear at a person. A lot of people have called her the most human of the characters because of this. We all have desires that we keep locked up, and others that we try to rationalize as a good thing. If you've ever tried to hold yourself to a more virtuous conduct, you probably had to deal with breaking that conduct and felt bad about it. If you didn't break it, you probably felt constrained by it, frustrated by it.

Sayaka's a very understandable character and--in some ways--becomes a person we don't want to be. People have called her a bitch for that. Stupid. Weak.

That's why I like her. She's the most relatable because she fails. The story resonates better with the audience because Sayaka is there to show us from start to finish how the good fall, how those with good intentions suffer.

Also Sayaka is just cool and awesome and has a million swords and a loving cape do you realize how cool that is a loving cape and she runs and fights and is awesome thanks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also Sayaka is just cool and awesome and has a million swords and a loving cape do you realize how cool that is a loving cape and she runs and fights and is awesome thanks.
Sayaka is best girl. Plus, in Rebellion, her Magical Girl Transformation involves her freakin' breakdancing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blaziken386 posted:

Sayaka is best girl. Plus, in Rebellion, her Magical Girl Transformation involves her freakin' breakdancing.

she loving breakdances and then when homura takes over sayaka is the only one who fights back and is gonna be fuckin important god drat sayaka why are you so cool

e: remember when she stopped homura from stopping time by whipping out her sword and jamming the time shield gently caress sayaka you're the coolest

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
sayaka's self-destruction was honestly harder for me to watch than even episode 10 because i've seen friends ruin their own lives out of anger and self-loathing like that irl

i mean they didn't murder anyone on public transport or turn into giant orchestra monsters but the rest of it hit pretty close to home

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've said it once, I'll say it again

Sayaka has the greatest scene in all of Madoka: Kyubi tells her about the possibility of not feeling pain by detaching your soul from your puppet body, and later on she gets stabbed to hell by the shadow tree witch and she does just that, proceeding to rip that witch apart while yelling "HE WAS RIGHT I DON'T FEEL ANYTHING AHAHAHAHA"

That scene is peak Urobuchi, right there. Goddamn that guy does despair so well. I was almost sad that they brought Sayaka back for the movie since she had such a perfectly encapsulated tragedy in the series, especially since she had the flimsiest excuse to revive, but it's nice to see her character turn over a new leaf. Curious where this could go next.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Double post.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Infinite universes, checkmate.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Kyoko and Sayaka would both watch and enjoy Kill La Kill. :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Command Ant posted:

Kyoko and Sayaka would both watch and enjoy Kill La Kill. :colbert:

Which Kill la Kill would Sayaka be?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Which Kill la Kill would Sayaka be?
Nonon. They both have a music motif, and they're both slightly crazy.
Unless we're going by design, in which case she's either Ryuko or Mako.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Nonon. They both have a music motif, and they're both slightly crazy.

They also have the same English VA.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hommando posted:

They also have the same English VA.

Gross

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008
So I finally watched the series after years of seeing references to it everywhere.

I wasn't ready

I'm in the middle of watching Beginnings and Eternal right now, then on to Rebellion so I can be further emotionally distraught. Why am I doing this to myself? Why am I crying over a loving magical girl anime?

(Also Kyouko best girl)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subtuna posted:

So I finally watched the series after years of seeing references to it everywhere.

I wasn't ready

I'm in the middle of watching Beginnings and Eternal right now, then on to Rebellion so I can be further emotionally distraught. Why am I doing this to myself? Why am I crying over a loving magical girl anime?

(Also Kyouko best girl)

Kyouko worst. Sayaka best. :colbert:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rebellion is the best, homura is the best, chaos reigns imo

I hope they leave it where it is

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008

Kyouko worst. Sayaka best. :colbert:

:wrong: However Sayaka second best.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will not stand for this discord. All the Madokas are good.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Except Hitomi.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hitomi is objectively horrible

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't count her as a Madoka.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hitomi acted in a completely reasonable manner given she was completely ignorant of Sayaka's extenuating circumstances and literally did nothing wrong.

And even if you think she did, she ended up getting the short end anyway, trying to get together with someone as devoted to their career prospects as Kyousuke is a relationship that is doomed to crushing failure. Sayaka dodged a bullet. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Rebellion shows exactly the consequences of Hotomi trying to have a relationship with him.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hitomi is a homophobe

Also Homura is best Madoka obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just a few more pages until lord justice is free!

• Locked thread