Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Professional wrestling is sports-themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Writer Cath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyB8V7Na_0

Ross Scott, guy behind Freeman's Mind and Ross' Game Dungeon has put out a video looking for donations. It's fifteen minutes long and is entertaining as hell, along with being informative. He's got a quite loyal fanbase and has gotten a good response so far. It was neat to see some hard numbers from someone who does video entertainment for a living.

Thanks for posting. Love his work, and hit up his donation link right away.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, that depends. Pretty often the movie is very different from the books, making it hard to judge which one is "better". There are also some garbage books that were turned into great movies. So it's not always the case that the book is better.

I dare you to try to enjoy Jaws the book.

I double dare you to try to even make it through The Towering Inferno. Especially the parts from the POV of the building.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Hell Mario Puzo's book The Godfather is a mess of subplots, and removing them was great for the film.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Barry Lyndon is a decent book, but the movie is a masterpiece.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
What's the deal with Todd in the Shadows right now? He stopped updating at Channel Awesome like two months ago and now seems to be putting his videos on youtube or something?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Many people jumped off CA because the management is full of dicks and it's essentially your username.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sinking Ship posted:

What's the deal with Todd in the Shadows right now? He stopped updating at Channel Awesome like two months ago and now seems to be putting his videos on youtube or something?

Do you know that blip went down?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

e X posted:

Do you know that blip went down?

I think I heard about that at some point or other? Does that have something to do with it?

watho posted:

Many people jumped off CA because the management is full of dicks and it's essentially your username.

I see, now I'm sort of curious what exactly happened but I imagine it's boring endless internet drama. At any rate thanks - I can stop checking CA now at least.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Chez Apocalypse coming back at any point? It's been down for a few weeks now, and a few of the contributors have been putting stuff out since then.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sinking Ship posted:

I think I heard about that at some point or other? Does that have something to do with it?

I see, now I'm sort of curious what exactly happened but I imagine it's boring endless internet drama. At any rate thanks - I can stop checking CA now at least.

Mostly it was just that the Channel Awesome setup no longer works best, particularly now that Patreon is a thing, so people with established fanbases are free to just leave and do their own thing without having to deal with CA's silliness.

The real drama happened with Lupa.

ETA: WRT Chez Apocalypse, I heard they're basically stuck waiting for Maker or whoever to pay attention to them. :(

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Puppy Time posted:

ETA: WRT Chez Apocalypse, I heard they're basically stuck waiting for Maker or whoever to pay attention to them. :(

Blip is dead. Long live blip.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cyron posted:

it hard to say, the history of wrestling started off as people saying it was a sport. When Vince said it was not real in the 80's the promoters from other territories was coming to the WWF shows with guns wanting to kill him. wrestling is very carny, and it kind of it charm.

Honestly... do any of us really want wrestling to be real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afr0xwde0Aw

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Yes, I want Sting teaming up with Robocop to be real.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/pvsjgv.webm

Okay, I had gotten pretty bored but of the whole thing, but Gamergate still manages to be really funny every now and then.

Yeah, this guy is genuinely entertaining and definitely not a horrible shithead. This is what I wish GG had been rather than the misogynistic hate train it is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 10, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Honestly... do any of us really want wrestling to be real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afr0xwde0Aw

There was also that time where Scott Steiner actually threatened the evil doll Chucky in a promo and told him to get to the ring so he could kick his rear end.

Or the time Scott Steiner had an epic war with HHH which involved an arm wrestling contest, a posedown and a push up contest that had Jim Ross the announcer try to sincerely hype up a man doing push-ups as this intimidating beast.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 10, 2015

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was also that time where Scott Steiner actually threatened the evil doll Chucky in a promo and told him to get to the ring so he could kick his rear end.

It was Rick Steiner actually, but now I'm envisioning a promo-off between Brad Dourif and Scott Steiner and it's glorious.

Do not even ask fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 10, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wrestling isn't Wrestling

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/pvsjgv.webm

Okay, I had gotten pretty bored but of the whole thing, but Gamergate still manages to be really funny every now and then.

That guy isn't GG though... unless you mean that the detractors to the movement can make fun of them in funny and creative ways.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Once you've reached the point where you're posting music videos about the GG controversy, you're part of the GG controversy. Roll in that poop.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 11, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
If you were wondering where Mattewmatosis went for the past couple of months, boy are you in for a treat.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Do not even ask posted:

It was Rick Steiner actually, but now I'm envisioning a promo-off between Brad Dourif and Scott Steiner and it's glorious.

oh my god Scott Steiner and Brad Dourif recreating Exorcist 3

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mad Lupine posted:

If you were wondering where Mattewmatosis went for the past couple of months, boy are you in for a treat.

:stare: Youtube lets you do that?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or the time Scott Steiner had an epic war with HHH which involved an arm wrestling contest, a posedown and a push up contest that had Jim Ross the announcer try to sincerely hype up a man doing push-ups as this intimidating beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzjX_GA8Qg

If Scott Steiner isn't legit then I don't want to live in this world anymore

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 11, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Triple H is Max Landis's favorite wrestler?

That's... oddly appropriate...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mad Lupine posted:

:aaaaa:

BigRed0427 posted:

:stare: Youtube lets you do that?

I've watched enough 24-hour "He-Man sings What's Going On" marathon videos to know that yes, yes it does

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Professional wrestling is "fake" in the sense that it's scripted and matches are typically planned out, but all the bumps people take are real. Hulk Hogan's had to have like 3 spinal fusion surgeries because leg dropping people took a toll on his body. Mick Foley can't even tie his own shoes anymore because he can't bend down far enough, due to all the insane injuries he's gotten over the years. New Jack's been blind in his right eye since like 2000 because he fell 20 feet headfirst onto concrete in a botched spot- I'm not sure if you can see it in the PPV where it happens (I'm frankly scared to look) but he was reportedly leaking loving brain fluid out of his nose afterwards.

I have an immense amount of respect for professional wrestlers, because they're expected to be both good actors and good athletes at the same time, and that's a hell of a tall order for anybody.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Professional wrestling is "fake" in the sense that it's scripted and matches are typically planned out, but all the bumps people take are real. Hulk Hogan's had to have like 3 spinal fusion surgeries because leg dropping people took a toll on his body. Mick Foley can't even tie his own shoes anymore because he can't bend down far enough, due to all the insane injuries he's gotten over the years. New Jack's been blind in his right eye since like 2000 because he fell 20 feet headfirst onto concrete in a botched spot- I'm not sure if you can see it in the PPV where it happens (I'm frankly scared to look) but he was reportedly leaking loving brain fluid out of his nose afterwards.

I have an immense amount of respect for professional wrestlers, because they're expected to be both good actors and good athletes at the same time, and that's a hell of a tall order for anybody.

Also if I recall that New Jack thing right, he beat the absolute poo poo out of the dude who hosed up the spot for real the next time he saw him.

Wrestling is a really interesting subject as well from a backstage perspective, like The Death of WCW is a legitimately great book to read even if you'd give a gently caress about wrestling and just wanna read about a company that was run by total morons.

This is also typified by the Bash in the Beach 2000 WCW show that ended with the head writer making the boneheaded decision to get into the middle of the ring and call Hulk Hogan a 'bald son of a bitch' on live PPV, pissing him off so bad he sued the company and quit which hosed up the main storyline for the company for the next year.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 11, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Don't forget the mass transit incident where new jack just cut deep this kids forehead like a stuck pig.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

New Jack has deliberately killed multiple people. That's not even a rumour, it's something he's upfront about.

It's happened during his work as a bounty hunter, making his homicides legally justified, at least if Beyond the Mat is anything to go by.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also if I recall that New Jack thing right, he beat the absolute poo poo out of the dude who hosed up the spot for real the next time he saw him.

Wrestling is a really interesting subject as well from a backstage perspective, like The Death of WCW is a legitimately great book to read even if you'd give a gently caress about wrestling and just wanna read about a company that was run by total morons.

This is also typified by the Bash in the Beach 2000 WCW show that ended with the head writer making the boneheaded decision to get into the middle of the ring and call Hulk Hogan a 'bald son of a bitch' on live PPV, pissing him off so bad he sued the company and quit which hosed up the main storyline for the company for the next year.

New Jack's been known to stab dudes in the ring for loving up. There was that old guy who No-Sold him too. New Jack legitimately attacked him with a baseball bat of memory serves.

That, and to be honest, Vince Russo (the head writer in question) is a fascinating guy. A sleazy Brooklyn stereotype who doesn't actually like wrestling, yet somehow led professional wrestling back into the mainstream. He then proceeded to spend the next 15 years crashing and burning. To the point where people still debate how that boom period happened, with WWE producing their official narrative of what actually happened. Hell, there's even a conspiracy theory about Russo being a WWF agent sent to destroy WCW from the inside.

Hulk Hogan too for that matter. Dude's a pathological liar who more or less lied about committing murder just to make Wrestlemania III sound more impressive.

Although, Russo is technically an Internet critic, so talking about him is still technically on topic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't Get In The Ring With New Jack

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Don't Get In The Ring With New Jack

Yeah, this dude is just scum. The Mass Transit incident is just disgusting.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

That, and to be honest, Vince Russo (the head writer in question) is a fascinating guy. A sleazy Brooklyn stereotype who doesn't actually like wrestling, yet somehow led professional wrestling back into the mainstream. He then proceeded to spend the next 15 years crashing and burning. To the point where people still debate how that boom period happened, with WWE producing their official narrative of what actually happened. Hell, there's even a conspiracy theory about Russo being a WWF agent sent to destroy WCW from the inside.

To say Russo led WWF into the Attitude era and the boom period is so ludicrous it's laughable. The last 15+ years have proven that there was more to it than that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

New Jack beat the poo poo out of a concession guy at a show for offering him a sprite because they were out of mountain dew (it might be a different soda)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can confirm this is true, because that was me when I read it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The only thing I know about New Jack is that someone watched Grunge leg-drop him through a press table.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Hulk Hogan too for that matter. Dude's a pathological liar who more or less lied about committing murder just to make Wrestlemania III sound more impressive.

There could be some merit to that, considering Hulk Hogan's run in WCW. Sure the NWO was hot and all, but there was a lot of crap there. Uproxx's pro-wrestling section has a recap of Monday Nitro starting from the first episode, and it's hard not to see where all the problems WCW had sprouted from.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing I know about Vince Russo is that he wrote for TNA and those were some godawful shows that made no sense on a fundamental level.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

The only thing I know about Vince Russo is that he wrote for TNA and those were some godawful shows that made no sense on a fundamental level.

Vince Russo is so bad that one of Spike TV's biggest contract sticking points for TNA when they were on their network was to NEVER be associated with him.

Then TNA hilariously got outed working with him as a writer when he accidentally e-mailed story ideas to the wrong person and Spike dropped them like a bad habit.

TNA is another company that deserves a book on how fundamentally insane they are but here's a good overview: http://taimapedia.org/index.php?title=LOLTNA_History

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This wrestling derail is worse than all the other ones because it actually makes me want to start reading and watching all the backstage drama and possibly even actual wrestling. It just sounds like such a convoluted, drama-riddled trainwreck spanning decades and involving dozens of people and millions of dollars, which is my favourite kind of trainwreck.

Mad Lupine posted:

... but I guess I could do this instead. It's not like I'm supposed to be spending Thanksgiving with my family or anything.

• Locked thread