Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Pusher is one of my favorites of the whole series.

For mytharc, I always liked the Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip trilogy, mainly due to Skinner finally standing up to Cancer Man.

Aside from his Vietnam speech, "pucker up and kiss my rear end" still makes me fist pump into the air every time. Then when Albert walks into the room. :vince: Paper Clip is my all-time favorite episode.

Feedbacker posted:

Another vote for Pilot, Deep Throat, Squeeze, Beyond the Sea.

I'm really thinking this is going to be the list. I'm rewatching Squeeze tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Edited my post on the last page but I'll put this here too.

The Host is a fantastic early MOTW episode, probably a really good fit for what you're going for.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I never got the love for The Host. Like, it's not a bad episode or anything but it never really stood out to me.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Require More Fire posted:

I never got the love for The Host. Like, it's not a bad episode or anything but it never really stood out to me.

Somehow flukeman ended up being kind of an iconic X-Files monster during those early seasons. Buddies of mine still reference him to this day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

68k posted:

Aside from his Vietnam speech, "pucker up and kiss my rear end" still makes me fist pump into the air every time. Then when Albert walks into the room. :vince: Paper Clip is my all-time favorite episode.

Another great Skinner moment is Skinner vs Mr. X in Endgame

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love that they tried so hard to make Krychek a nemesis for Mulder, but Skinner's perfect white-hot hatred for him constantly hijacks that narrative for endless beatings and delicious burns whenever they're on screen together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

I love that they tried so hard to make Krychek a nemesis for Mulder, but Skinner's perfect white-hot hatred for him constantly hijacks that narrative for endless beatings and delicious burns whenever they're on screen together.

One of the best scenes was when they brought him to Skinner, he was pissed until he saw him, and tossed him on the porch with glee.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would be fine with the X-Files revial just being Krycek vs Skinner

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody please remind me: was it The X-Files or Fringe where the monster of the week was once the ghost of a vengeful elephant?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Somebody please remind me: was it The X-Files or Fringe where the monster of the week was once the ghost of a vengeful elephant?

X-Files, Fearful Symmetry.

Something about invisible animals and aliens and the zoo keeper is an rear end but also there's ecoterrorists and something about aliens but not really.

The intro is good at least.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was just a regular invisible elephant who did not intend any specific harm, as far as I recall.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
To be more specific, iirc, aliens were abducting aliens and artificially impregnating them to save them from extinction, then returning them, except invisible and in the wild

Or something

It's kind of a mess of an episode

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just remembered that I have the novelization of that particular episode and I remember it being better than the episode was, though I still dig that episode. I also have novelizations of Squeeze (or one of the two Tooms episodes) and one, longer story called The Blood Wind or some such that's about a small hurricane that skins people to death. I haven't read any of them in like 15 years so I can't remember more than that, really. I'm pretty sure the latter wasn't made into an episode though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bob Ojeda posted:

To be more specific, iirc, aliens were abducting aliens and artificially impregnating them to save them from extinction, then returning them, except invisible and in the wild

Or something

"aliens were abducting animals". It was indeed a bad episode (one of the worst), and IIRC it also featured an awful gorilla costume as a major character.

To help that guy with episode selection:
I'd argue STRONGLY against Paper Hearts. That episode is only intended for people with full knowledge of Mulder's guilt arch, and makes no sense without prior context.
As for Morgan Episodes - The Final Repose is much more accessible for people without knowledge of the typical Files episode structure (IMO Jose Chung is basically a critique of the convenient narrative structure that encapsulates all the X Files cases, insinuating this compact format is only possible thanks to ignoring conflicting narratives; therefore it can only be appreciated by a savvy viewer). Also I like Bruckner much better.

As for other episodes :

I'd absolutely recommend the two-episode of Nisei and 731; those episodes are what starts the departure of the story arc from the stereotypical grey alien plot that most people imagine when thinking about X Files; it's such a curveball that it should be well understood by new viewers, as it doesn't rely on previous X Files experience - in fact, I believe these episodes are more diffiult to swallow for the regular X Files crew than for a total viewing novice.

Furthermore, I think the Mulder - McHattie confrontation on the train is hands down the best sequence in the X Files history, and one of my favourites in any TV series ever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bob Ojeda posted:

Or something

The plot was that there was some sort of magnetic disturbance so instead of teleporting the pregnant animals back, the animals get teleported in the wrong place and they're invisible for a while. It honestly did make sense, though it was intensely 90s what with the talking gorillas and ecoterrorists and poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
humbug is the best episode

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

"Now you know how I feel" was delivered so perfectly

Prophets
Oct 11, 2015

Space Police

scary ghost dog posted:

68k posted:

"Now you know how I feel" was delivered so perfectly

I am quite satisfied knowing that Darin Morgan (and his brother) went out to do some cool things, post The X-Files (Original). He was a producer/writer on the early seasons of Fringe (I didn't last, except to consume and episode here or there, past Season 3).

The X-Files sure did churn out what has become an iconic writers room - Vince Gilligan ("Breaking Bad") being an extreme standout.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love old series getting new episodes. This and Twin Peaks coming back is loving incredible, but boy, age has been a cruel mistress to a lot of the actors and actresses in both series. It's a real "Oh yeah, these shows first ran about two decades ago (longer for Twin Peaks)" realization.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Honestly, I hope I look that good at that age. Because I won't.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Mulder/Scully/Skinner all still look fantastic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Who's this guy with white hair?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Who's this guy with white hair?

Chris Carter

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mulder and Scully show their age a bit but Skinner still looks great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thanks.

Met posted:

Mulder and Scully show their age a bit but Skinner still looks great.

Yeah, holy poo poo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Mitch kind of always had a weathered look to him, all that's really changed is his hair moved from his skull to his chin. Duchovony and Anderson still look great, just older. I miss Anderson's short hair, though.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Her hair is in a wig for this run and it looks weird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo.

From SoA:

Also a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2aGFt5hf0

New promo from tonight.

(But, um, X-Files, you guys already did a "Mulder gets convinced that the X-Files are fake" storyline like 20 years ago...)

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 20, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pfft. One released promo.

How about 4 leaked (and in some cases unfinished) promos.

http://campaignofmisinformation.tumblr.com/post/131514490500/heres-all-4-promos-together-in-one-beautiful

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
It's funny to look back at a year and a half ago when we started this thread. At that time, we were pessimistic about the idea of this series ever getting re-released in HD. Now we're talking about a brand new season ("that will never happen") that has already been filmed and will be aired in a couple months. I couldn't possibly be more excited.

To the poster who's doing the viewing party: first, I'm stealing your idea. Second, I would absolutely start with the pilot and Deep Throat. Home is an excellent choice, especially this time of year. But I would top it off with Bad Blood. It's such a great comedic episode, and at that point, your friends will have a pretty good enough idea of what the chemistry is like between Mulder and Scully that they will appreciate it. Those four episodes are a great sampling of what The X-files has to offer. Beyond the Sea is an exceptional episode, but I think it takes 2 or 3 viewings to truly appreciate it.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Exploder posted:

Beyond the Sea is an exceptional episode, but I think it takes 2 or 3 viewings to truly appreciate it.

Yea, truthfully, the last two minutes is what pushes me over the edge for choosing it. "He was my father" is just such an effective ending to that episode, and I think it builds so much of Scully's character in that episode. I'm still torn about wanting to show Home right after that. It would be great and hosed up for Halloween, but so would Squeeze. I have to decide by next Wednesday. :]

This Wednesday, though, is the first night where I'm showing Pilot/Deep Throat. Super excited. My one friend that is aware of the show is bringing X-Files themed sweets. I'll have free alcohol and a speech prepared. Ready to get weird.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

esselfortium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2aGFt5hf0

New promo from tonight.

(But, um, X-Files, you guys already did a "Mulder gets convinced that the X-Files are fake" storyline like 20 years ago...)
WHAT IF THAT GIANT loving SPACESHIP I RESCUED YOU FROM WAS A LIE???

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Beyond the Sea and Deadwood made me a Brad Dourif fan for life. He's so, so good.

68k posted:

That scene is probably the highlight of the entire series for me. I also love Krycek's phone call, and Smoking Man pretending he didn't just get the biggest threat of his life.

"If I so much as feel your presence, I'm going to make you a very, very famous man."
"Yes, thank you! I'm going to report that to the group! :haw:"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just wish John Neville was still with us. We never got enough of the Well-Manicured Man. :smith:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
So I've gotten to season 8 and the point where I stopped watching during the original broadcast. I know there's a lot of derision for the last two seasons bit I quite liked episode 3 and the whole dynamic where scully tries to take over mulders role and finds herself a bit overwhelmed with it all. But I suppose there's plenty of time for the show to get worse???

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

corn in the fridge posted:

So I've gotten to season 8 and the point where I stopped watching during the original broadcast. I know there's a lot of derision for the last two seasons bit I quite liked episode 3 and the whole dynamic where scully tries to take over mulders role and finds herself a bit overwhelmed with it all. But I suppose there's plenty of time for the show to get worse???
The high points of seasons 8 & 9 don't compare to earlier seasons and there are a lot more low points but it's not unwatchable garbage. If I can fault the writers for anything it's that they try to push the limits of the X-Files format in ways that often don't work out, although I liked some of the experimental episodes like Redrum and John Doe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think that either Robert Patrick or the new lady has a thing where the devil is a recurring antagonist for them. Or I'm thinking of Cary Elweys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
honestly its hard to imagine there being a worse xfiles episode than that video game one in season 7

• Locked thread