Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

literally a fish posted:

Yuuuuup. That's actually pretty much a thing. They teach that non-Catholics are deviant scum, worship satan, false gods etc

Catholicism: When Even The Other Christians Hate You, You're Doing Something Wrong

Is it? Wasn't my experience. In encounters like these I've always just chalked it up to old folks being out of touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

Another massive crash at Bathurst, this time in a support race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqhMEskbYDY

Playing this track on Forza 5 taught me it's impossible not to crash into the walls. There was one competition with a RUF modified Porsche to beat a certain time and it's just insane.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Is it? Wasn't my experience. In encounters like these I've always just chalked it up to old folks being out of touch.

YMMV, depending on individual congregation. It's also gotten to be less of a thing in recent years, hence why it seems to be more prominent in the older generations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

blk posted:

My wife posted a picture of me using my DA polisher to get the water spots off our shower door on FB and many likes were from friends of her who have made fun of me for owning a DA polisher in the first place.

I have been wondering how to get the water marks off my shower door...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

Yuuuuup. That's actually pretty much a thing. They teach that non-Catholics are deviant scum, worship satan, false gods etc

Catholicism: When Even The Other Christians Hate You, You're Doing Something Wrong

No they dont. It's just an old lady being an A-Grade bitch to Rhyno. Most Catholics can teach Protestants a thing or two about not being dicks.

quote:

Also don't have any pictures of yourself in a bike helmet. Ask me how I know.

You are going to have to explain this one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Also, Indiana. Seriously, people think that backwards redneck hillbilly idiots only live below the Mason-Dixon line, but Indiana blows that notion to smithereens.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know this is the internet and I'm pretty much agnostic at this point, but the Catholic religion is the chillest of all the christian religions. The old, pre vatican 2 catholics still chafe that mass isn't held in latin anymore. If you want the fire and brimstone treatment, go to a Texas Baptist church.

Now I do remember that all other christian denominations are referred to as 'sects'. I guess the church only really has an axe to grind with Martin Luther or maybe John Smith.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

I know this is the internet and I'm pretty much agnostic at this point, but the Catholic religion is the chillest of all the christian religions

Not really. There's a growing progressive branch that actively supports SSM, abortion etc and actual equality, things the Roman Catholics in the main dont. There's a long way to go, at least Francis is steering the Catholic church back in the right direction.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was indoctrinated in the One True Religion and this new hippie pope has me all confused. He obviously has not heard the term "immutable."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

El Jebus posted:

Agreed. Stone is still decent but there are so many better Oregon and California Brewers that are better (and in rogue's case, cheaper) that it is almost funny.

I drink a lot of really aggressively decent beer locally from Exile brewing company. Never thought I'd like a sour beer, but theirs is great.

meatpimp posted:

I was indoctrinated in the One True Religion and this new hippie pope has me all confused. He obviously has not heard the term "immutable."

He's a Jesuit. There's a reason they've been around 500 years, have been suppressed several times, and never had a Pope from the order.

Frankly, I'm enjoying it, as a lapsed Catholic.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

In on Vidku as Ferrit... This should be entertaining considering the massive time zone difference between Aus and the US!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Bape Culture?

Hello

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Great Beer posted:

The HOA here pays a company to mow everyone's yard. It's pretty great, I don't even own a lawnmower. :toot:

Yeah but you have a HOA so that is still a net loss

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhyno posted:

So just a question from an outsider,

Is there a part of Catholicism where one of the things they teach is "BE A HUGE loving oval office TO NON CATHOLICS" or something? Because this wonderful old lady almost made me lose my poo poo at the funeral today.

Old school catholics do seem to have a bit more of a bug up their rear end because they got the lovely interpretation of the bible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Great Beer posted:

The HOA here pays a company to mow everyone's yard. It's pretty great, I don't even own a lawnmower. :toot:

That's the first time I've seen "HOA" and "pretty great" in the same sentence.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Yeah but you have a HOA so that is still a net loss

I just rent a room/garage from the actual homeowner so i don't have to deal with them ever. And even with the fees worked into my rent its still cheaper than an apartment. Best of both worlds!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

So its even more ridiculous in person. Pardon the lovely photo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Great Beer posted:

I just rent a room/garage from the actual homeowner so i don't have to deal with them ever. And even with the fees worked into my rent its still cheaper than an apartment. Best of both worlds!

Until the little old lady who sits on the HOA board across the street finds out you're renting a room and gets you evicted because the bylaws explicitly forbid renters...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man the paint on this Vibe is turbofucked. Lady didn't drive it for the past year and it sat under a tree. And I don't think she ever washed it in the 4 years she owned it.

It's white. The stains are awful. I spent all morning just getting the dried sap off it. Washed it and it looks a little better. Going to need like four clay bars. Then a ton of compounding and polishing. I don't think there's much left of the clear coat but I'm curious how good I can get it looking.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I have been wondering how to get the water marks off my shower door...

It helped but didn't get rid of them completely. The last people who lived here were really hard on the house. My wife and I have always squeegeed doors after showers and that leaves minimal water marks which clean up easily.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My brother wants to sell his 2002 x5 manual that he's had for not even 6 months because sometimes he "doesn't feel like shifting".

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

'sup

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

My brother wants to sell his 2002 x5 manual that he's had for not even 6 months because sometimes he "doesn't feel like shifting".
Disown and sever communication

Saw The Martian last night, drat near :perfect: Some of the things changed or not carried over from the book bugged me a bit but otherwise it was great. Can't believe they went with the Iron Man ending...wtfwhy the hell could he see his breath in the data center and why was he plugged into the rack door with a headphone jack?

Heads up the two Vidku's I uploaded this morning are loud.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blk posted:

Showing up to a first date in the 348 must elicit some reactions, though.

I gave a date a ride home in the Viper, and her take on it was, "oh wow, must be sporty."
If it were someone who were into cars, that'd be great. I could talk about the motor, how it compared to the Z06, etc.
But yeah, I think it's a really small minority of people for whom a car isn't either a transport tool (why would you have a nice one?) or a status symbol.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife's friends say the same. Then actively avoid anyone who does it.

They are always complaining on money troubles and home repairs.

I don't understand how the logic works some times.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

ishikabibble posted:

So its even more ridiculous in person. Pardon the lovely photo.

No. Fuckin. Way :stare: is that what's gonna be on YouTube this Friday?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What's wrong with Rogue? Granted the only thing I drink from them is Dead Guy because it's delicious but did they murder a bunch of puppies or something?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The tl;dr is that the owners are incredible assholes, their brewery is rotten/rotting/moldy, and their beer isn't even that great to begin with, especially at the price point. Not to mention how wacky and zany they are with their bacon maple, sriracha, and beard (note: beard, not bread) yeast abominations.

I didn't think about it until now, but New Belgium is literally the polar opposite; it's a co-op and their beers hit the taste/$$$ sweet spot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Well that's disappointing.

Won't have much of an issue not drinking that. My brothers work for McMenamins so I tend to get better care packages anyways. :3:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've always liked New Belgium, fairly inexpensive and isn't loaded with hops to substitute for flavor. I've always tried to avoid craft beer with "crazy" art on the bottle and that rule hasn't let me down so far.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think someone here worked at Rogue for awhile. I could be making this up but I remember reading that in a meeting they fired a bunch of people and made them beg for their jobs back.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

I think someone here worked at Rogue for awhile. I could be making this up but I remember reading that in a meeting they fired a bunch of people and made them beg for their jobs back.

I recall said someone stating that they treat their employees like dirt and pass it off as part of their "edgy/outside the box" culture.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

Granted this is from a post on Reddit so who knows but if you dig around you can find other current or ex employees with similar stories.

quote:

I also worked there, in the brewery, for about six months. I was there when Brett fired a brewer in a company wide meeting with the words, "gently caress you redacted, you're fired." I walked out of the meeting and called my old boss back, she offered me my job at $2 an hour more and I never worked another minute for those mother fuckers. During the same meeting, they fired everyone on the bottle line and made them beg for their jobs back. Oh, and that brewery is loving covered in black mold, especially around the glycol lines, because instead of spending money on a modern brewery, they make beer in a 100 year old warehouse 10 feet from the bay. To say the drainage in the building is bad is an understatement. I saw sewage backflow into the brewery more than once. Oh, and they brag at the end of the year about how many people they've fired. Seriously, they actually put it in the news letter. It's a shame, because as OP said, John is a pretty good brewer, and they do make a few good beers. Unfortunately, Brett and Jack don't even like beer and only care about marketing, so you see Dead Guy and not much else.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

scuz posted:

No. Fuckin. Way :stare: is that what's gonna be on YouTube this Friday?

Sadly not, but it should be next months video. They've been posting it all over Facebook and (as of like three hours ago?) have titled it "Mullet" - engine in back, gas tank (its literally a gas tank not even a fuel cell) up front in what was the engine bay.

They took it autocrossing :getin:
And it was slow as poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sup AI. Currently phoneposting from Chicago while my plane idles on the tarmac waiting for our other pilot. As someone who has never, ever, everrr flown in anything larger than a Cessna, this 737 is insane. It feels like the world's weirdest rollercoaster.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

I recall said someone stating that they treat their employees like dirt and pass it off as part of their "edgy/outside the box" culture.

Jokes on them, my employer treats their employees like piss.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Geoj posted:

Until the little old lady who sits on the HOA board across the street finds out you're renting a room and gets you evicted because the bylaws explicitly forbid renters...

There's only about 60 homes in the neighborhood so the power tripping is limited. The lady in charge seems nice enough, though if anyone asks I'm the owners brother, not a renter. :v

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Great Beer posted:

There's only about 60 homes in the neighborhood so the power tripping is limited. The lady in charge seems nice enough, though if anyone asks I'm the owners brother, not a renter. :v

I think you massively underestimate how much time retirees with nothing else better to do have, and how seriously HOA board members take their jobs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Geoj posted:

I think you massively underestimate how much time retirees with nothing else better to do have, and how seriously HOA board members take their jobs.

Try unemployed guys in their early 30s. The guy who got elected condo board president this year has way too much time on his hands. Magically his girlfriend now has an underground parking spot after she's been parking beside me outside since I've moved in now that he's the president. Meanwhile we're burning through our budget doing dumb things like hiring full time security guards that he then gets mad at and fires after two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

We had two retiree's basically running our HOA (badly) because nobody else cared. It took a couple years, but I'm now board president, and they are gone, replaced by full time workers like myself (and one cool retiree). It's worth a couple hours of my time every month to make our HOA something that nobody is upset about, while still keeping the common areas looking nice.

• Locked thread