Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Skirt makes a loving magnificent ropa vieja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is skirt omentum?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Thanks to a CSA I have a poo poo ton of red bell peppers and sweet potatoes, neither of which I really like. I have already souped and stewed. Besides just dicing the bells and hiding in salads, any other ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drink and Fight posted:

Thanks to a CSA I have a poo poo ton of red bell peppers and sweet potatoes, neither of which I really like. I have already souped and stewed. Besides just dicing the bells and hiding in salads, any other ideas?

Roasted red pepper coulis is nice on a lot of different meats.

Stuffed red peppers are a way to use a bunch at once.

I use a fair amount of red peppers in tomato soup and typically adding a sweet potato or two in. The potato has just enough sweetness to balance the acidity and thickens the soup up nicely.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Red peppers: roast em, slice em, pickle em.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Ferment the sweet potatoes with jalapeños, garlic, and onion. Enjoy the best salad accompaniment.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I sometimes dice a bunch of bell peppers when they're on sale and sauté them with onions. Then I freeze them in portions to use with beans and soup and stuff.

I don't really like them, but I do love them once they've been brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and grilled until they blister a bit.

Frozen (de-veined with shell) shrimp was on mega sale so now I have some. What do I do? Pretend I am an idiot and have literally never cooked shrimp.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Ferment the sweet potatoes with jalapeños, garlic, and onion. Enjoy the best salad accompaniment.

This sounds weird and interesting. Recipe?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Japchae, or probably stir fry in general, are a good way to bury bell peppers. This recipe for red bell pepper galettes was good but too much of a PITA to make regularly.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

Frozen (de-veined with shell) shrimp was on mega sale so now I have some. What do I do? Pretend I am an idiot and have literally never cooked shrimp.

Make Kenji's Garlic Shrimp.

Or make scampi.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Excess bell peppers are for making romesco! Hard roast bells, garlic, an onion, puree smooth with toasted hazelnuts and or almonds, olive oil and a touch of sherry vinegar and take literally everything to a new level

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Drink and Fight posted:

This sounds weird and interesting. Recipe?

Like, just dice all that stuff and put it in a container with sugar and salt, then wait a few weeks? Do it like a fermented pickle, Russian style.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

I usually just pan fry or wok them with olive oil, garlic and sea salt, finishing with fresh lime juice.

The recipe tendales posted seems like a fancy way to do that so it'd be a good option.

Putting them in a stir fry over some noodles works great too. And in a Thai or Indian curry.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I've had miso glazed eggplant many times in Japan, and most of the time it has been pretty "meh".
For the first time I had this in my home country at a good but not exceptional Japanese restaurant and it was absolutely awesome. The Insides were so buttery they gave you a dull wooden spoon to eat it, while the skin was really hard like a sheet of plastic. Was easily better than anything I've ever had before.
Attempts to recreate this have failed miserably. I noticed directions were all over the place from (5 min on the grill to 1h or more in the oven at high temperatures).

Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe ? I even tried buying eggplants at the only Japanese supermarket in town (thinking they might be a differenty kind) and it made no difference.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Putting them in a stir fry over some noodles works great too.

I decided to eat this today, so thanks detectivemonkey!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Planning to cook steak today, never have done it before. I'll be making it on frying pan. How do I figure out when it's ready - is there some "x minutes on each side" rule or should I just use the thermometer (non-digital, unfortunately)?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

use your pokey bits aka your fingers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

use your pokey bits aka your fingers

Uhm, I don't get this instruction.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kalstrams posted:

Uhm, I don't get this instruction.

Try it. Feel the difference in the firmness of the area on your palm that you're pressing down on? Feel how it gets firmer when you switch fingers as shown?

Not sure how many people use this method with success vs. a thermometer. I bet I'd mess it up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Try it. Feel the difference in the firmness of the area on your palm that you're pressing down on? Feel how it gets firmer when you switch fingers as shown?

Not sure how many people use this method with success vs. a thermometer. I bet I'd mess it up.
Oh, it's firmness. I thought it's meant to be colour and it is not working because my hands are cold. :cripes:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kalstrams posted:

Oh, it's firmness. I thought it's meant to be colour and it is not working because my hands are cold. :cripes:

I think I'm 1-for-1 on observing famous cooking personalities endorse or condemn this method. Maybe if you cook a lot of steak you'd get it down, or maybe it's more intuitive for some than others. I don't think I'd be accurate enough with it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I think I'm 1-for-1 on observing famous cooking personalities endorse or condemn this method. Maybe if you cook a lot of steak you'd get it down, or maybe it's more intuitive for some than others. I don't think I'd be accurate enough with it.
I'm afraid so as well, I'm rather clumsy in the kitchen. I have a thermometer I can stick into the steak, but I'm not sure how long should I wait to get a decent temperature on it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i tend to not stick thermometers in steaks because juices will leak out.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I feel like the temps on the left will see too much variation person to person but if you get a thermo and poke steaks, guess temp and check your work you'll start to get it down sooner than you might think. Also remember to rest your steaks and that the center will come up 5-10 more degrees depending on total weight of the steak.

Re: juices yes you will hear sizzle after jabbing your steak but you will not lose an appeciable amount of juices and I don't think anyone in a double blind could tell you which steak got poked and which one didnt.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kalstrams posted:

I'm afraid so as well, I'm rather clumsy in the kitchen. I have a thermometer I can stick into the steak, but I'm not sure how long should I wait to get a decent temperature on it.

You can't really use a thermometer like yours for steak, the temperature is increasing too fast for it to be very useful, that's why people buy Thermapens and such.

spankmeister posted:

i tend to not stick thermometers in steaks because juices will leak out.

It doesn't work that way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, steaks aren't single chamber balloons filled with meaty juices. Poking them for a temperature check is only going to affect a very, very small area of the tissue.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Kenji has a typically exhaustive guide: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

I find with 1 and 1/2 inch steaks, it usually takes about 3 minutes per side in a pre-heated cast iron pan, chuck in the butter and aromatics, and pull like 1-2 minutes later. However, a Thermapen is invaluable for this kind of cooking.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks for the tips guys! Checked on rare and overdid to well done, but got my steak nonetheless. Next time I'll gun for way thicker piece of meat and I need to get one of those thermopens.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Let your steak rest! It will be much juicier.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Let your steak rest! It will be much juicier.
Yah, saw that in guides and let it rest both before cooking, so it's evenly cold, and after cooking while I did the dishes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kalstrams posted:

Yah, saw that in guides and let it rest both before cooking, so it's evenly cold, and after cooking while I did the dishes.

Unfortunately all the cooking tips are less effective if the steak isn't very thick.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kalstrams posted:

The Serious Eats steak guide belies the myth of resting it before cooking: you should store it in the fridge, and let it sit out in the fridge for an hour or two to dry out, but you do want the inside to be cold so you get a better sear without overcooking the inside of the steak.

As far as after cooking, it's also gone over in the guide. It's useful if you do a traditional sear, but for a reverse sear, it doesn't do much good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The internal temp of a thick steak that's goes from fridge to room temp won't change very much in an hour anyways

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I decided to eat this today, so thanks detectivemonkey!

I am glad of this. I ended up sautéing with butter and a bunch of garlic and old bay. Since it was my first time doing it I steamed broccoli separately and dumped it in the pan with pasta and finished it with lemon juice. It was good! Your initial suggestion spurred this delicious dinner on.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This broccoli rabe we got is hella bitter. I blanched it and discarded the water, then chopped it up. I rinsed it in cold water 3 times, discarding the water each time. I blanched it once more and discarded the water. It's still a scosh on the bitter side (unpleasantly so). I added lots of sautéed onions and grated coconut. Still.

I've been fine with fenugreek seeds in my food. I can handle most any green leafy vegetable. Did I get a weird batch?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

dino. posted:

This broccoli rabe we got is hella bitter. I blanched it and discarded the water, then chopped it up. I rinsed it in cold water 3 times, discarding the water each time. I blanched it once more and discarded the water. It's still a scosh on the bitter side (unpleasantly so). I added lots of sautéed onions and grated coconut. Still.

I've been fine with fenugreek seeds in my food. I can handle most any green leafy vegetable. Did I get a weird batch?

It might depend on the weather where it's grown. I know Brussels sprouts get sweeter if they frost, and I think rabe gets sweeter when the weather is colder, too. Some cursory googling makes me think my theory holds up. I'd try it later in the season and see if you like it more.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I want to play around with adding msg to foods. Anyone have any experience/general guidelines with this?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CrazySalamander posted:

I want to play around with adding msg to foods. Anyone have any experience/general guidelines with this?

Sprinkle it in, but not too much, you'll regret it. Use it like salt that boosts umami instead of salty.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So basically whatever would be roughly appropriate with salt in larger recipes then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

So basically whatever would be roughly appropriate with salt in larger recipes then?

Add a little, taste it (you're tasting your food as you season it, right?), add a little more, taste it, continue until satisfied.