Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

One thing I've meant to ask (and not sure if this is the best thread for it), but every year I see tons of Europeans going through Southern Alberta on bikes and all sorts of different vehicles. From RVs to cars and some really bizarro looking units sporting their EU license plates.

I presume as long as you have proof of insurance, Canada/US doesn't care where your car is registered?

Secondly, I can't imagine it wouldn't cost thousands to bring even a motorcycle over. What is the rationale for doing this as opposed to renting in North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's an E34 M5 wagon scootin around calgary, and a whole bunch of fiat/alfa coupes.

I'm surprised there aren't more TVRs. the cerbera has been legal for like 3 years now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
All the tvrs that old have probably crashed or burned to the ground.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I was last in Banff they had some kind of French knockoff of a Unimog tooling around. I kept trying to get closer but it was always a few blocks away.

Shitness aside I'd love to import a Steyr-Puch Panda 4WD from the 80s but I could not find any equivalent to the JDM auction sites for Italian cars.

For recent visitors to Canada including students you can import an otherwise illegal car for personal use that can't be registered by anyone else in the country. Someone on the Subaru club forums came from Australia and brought his 2002 STI wagon with him a few years ago. It ended up becoming parts at Spanky's for whatever reason.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 11, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

One thing I've meant to ask (and not sure if this is the best thread for it), but every year I see tons of Europeans going through Southern Alberta on bikes and all sorts of different vehicles. From RVs to cars and some really bizarro looking units sporting their EU license plates.

I presume as long as you have proof of insurance, Canada/US doesn't care where your car is registered?

Secondly, I can't imagine it wouldn't cost thousands to bring even a motorcycle over. What is the rationale for doing this as opposed to renting in North America?

Yeah, pretty much. From what I can recall as long as you had valid license and registration to establish the vehicle wasn't stolen, it was legit.

I'm assuming they do it because "mein advrider cred" or whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can almost understand a bike, but bringing over your own full size vehicle/RV is just :psyduck:

Is it so expensive to rent an RV for even a month or two that it's worthwhile? I never checked so I'm pretty clueless.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

I can almost understand a bike, but bringing over your own full size vehicle/RV is just :psyduck:

Is it so expensive to rent an RV for even a month or two that it's worthwhile? I never checked so I'm pretty clueless.

Renting RVs here is also extremely popular- if you're applying for a job somewhere like Cruise Canada speaking fluent German is basically mandatory.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Idly click around for a Skyline or even anything super-obscure from Japan, like a Cefiro, and you'll find a tonne of information and auction sites, dealers, collectors, and other enthusiasts.

In contrast, finding someone to help you buy a Eurocar is extremely difficult. A year and a half ago I was on my way to a conference in Vienna and I toyed with the idea of buying a car in Austria and having it shipped back to Canada. The Internet was very unhelpful in this bit of daydreaming. Is it really so weird that I should lust after an e36 330d awd wagon?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Other people may think so but other people are tasteless morons. :colbert:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was last in Banff they had some kind of French knockoff of a Unimog tooling around. I kept trying to get closer but it was always a few blocks away.

Shitness aside I'd love to import a Steyr-Puch Panda 4WD from the 80s but I could not find any equivalent to the JDM auction sites for Italian cars.

For recent visitors to Canada including students you can import an otherwise illegal car for personal use that can't be registered by anyone else in the country. Someone on the Subaru club forums came from Australia and brought his 2002 STI wagon with him a few years ago. It ended up becoming parts at Spanky's for whatever reason.

I can't tell you about auction sites, but mobile.de is a huuuuge car sales site, and there's bound to be several pandas for sale on n there. Once you have it shipped here, isn't it basically the same process as getting a jdm car?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wow, the Red Deer Princess Auto really does make the Calgary stores look like third world shitholes. It's insane how they've got more stuff in like 2/3 the space and still manage to look so much cleaner and more organized.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
But do they have Arduinos, or just more shields?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

But do they have Arduinos, or just more shields?

Didn't have a ton of time to poke around but all I saw was shields.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Red deer's retailers seem better than Calgary's in a lot of ways.

They've usually got specialty stuff that I can't seem to find anywhere down here. The peavey mart is pretty good too, wish that one in high river wasn't so terrible, it's a little closer for me.

It's rare that I've made the drive and returned disappointed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I really wish Tractor Supply would open up in the West. Apparently they have a store in Onterrible now?

Those motherfuckers don't appreciate tractors, unless they get them to the dole office.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The new Medicine Hat Princess is really nice too.

This is a photo I took in the Lethbridge store a couple months back, but in fairness you could pretty much go in there anytime and you'd see some aisles like this. It's about the only store that could make an old Zellers look good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really wish Tractor Supply would open up in the West. Apparently they have a store in Onterrible now?

Those motherfuckers don't appreciate tractors, unless they get them to the dole office.

That's basically what UFA is trying to turn into. they have a huge complex behind the ford dealer in airdrie.

I would imagine land is too pricey and there is the wrong kind of crowd to open one in calgary.

our big box stores are better but there are no small stores. the princess auto is the first of the new style store. it's also nice that basically everything is within 5 minutes of eachother. unless you need something specialty, you can be from canadian tire to best buy to princess auto to costco in 10 minutes.

Totally sucks for auto parts though. there are only 3 stores basically, canadiantire/partsource, napa, and auto value. everything is always 2-3 days away and 2-300% mark-up.

e:

holy hell, They're putting an honest to god no stop light 4 entry/exit 2 lane traffic circle on one of the busiest roads in the city

http://www.reddeer.ca/city-services/roads/construction-season/expansion-project/

The busiest direction is south to west, or west to south. They put a really simple mini-roundabout in another part of the city a few years ago and people still haven't figured it out.

I might have to just completely write off ever going into that part of the city. That will basically never not be complete gridlock.

Interesting stuff at saturday's auction.

a the best viper
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=14/10/2015%5Ee97f0fc6e28543d09b75b70b93b6273c

a the best 90s caddilac. This one will be interesting because most caddies go for peanuts, but this was one of the first good ones.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=14/10/2015%5Ebcb8caa2b5454c52ab85bee657925b00

Turbo dodge shitbox. The fender and headlight on this thing are good and buggered. this one had markings on it from the dealers auctions
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=14/10/2015%5E509b063ad42449fa8552cb5477d34a9e

6 speed turbo dort and 6 speed wrangler.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=14/10/2015%5Eae00908b466c451eb72d4798005a30f7
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=14/10/2015%5E454f2bbb350b4e368a166e5dd5b0f8b2

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 15, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

The new Medicine Hat Princess is really nice too.

This is a photo I took in the Lethbridge store a couple months back, but in fairness you could pretty much go in there anytime and you'd see some aisles like this. It's about the only store that could make an old Zellers look good.

I'd feel compelled to pick through that Princess Auto surplus area explosion

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Turbo dodge shitbox.

For a second there you had me excited that I could get my hands on some hot Dodge Omni action.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

For a second there you had me excited that I could get my hands on some hot Dodge Omni action.

Not gonna lie, my head was there too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That convertible dodge 600 is still there. No turbo on that though

My truck money doesn't clear until next week :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

holy hell, They're putting an honest to god no stop light 4 entry/exit 2 lane traffic circle on one of the busiest roads in the city

http://www.reddeer.ca/city-services/roads/construction-season/expansion-project/

The busiest direction is south to west, or west to south. They put a really simple mini-roundabout in another part of the city a few years ago and people still haven't figured it out.

I might have to just completely write off ever going into that part of the city. That will basically never not be complete gridlock.
I can't wrap my head around why so many people seem to go full out retard with traffic circles. I know you're not saying you have a problem, but seeing mayhem even on a super-straight forward single lane traffic circle is just :psyduck:

e: I drive this whenever I head down to reno. First time I saw it I was "what the gently caress?" but drat, they work slick.

https://www.nevadadot.com/Traveler_Info/Safety/Diverging_Diamond_Interchange.aspx

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Diverging_diamond_redone.svg

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 15, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I can't wrap my head around why so many people seem to go full out retard with traffic circles. I know you're not saying you have a problem, but seeing mayhem even on a super-straight forward single lane traffic circle is just :psyduck:

e: I drive this whenever I head down to reno. First time I saw it I was "what the gently caress?" but drat, they work slick.

https://www.nevadadot.com/Traveler_Info/Safety/Diverging_Diamond_Interchange.aspx

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Diverging_diamond_redone.svg

Yeah, they're doing that with new overpasses over deerfoot.

I'm going to michener's industrial auction tomorrow, probably going to go check out some of the cars for the saturday thing too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I wasn't crazy with work, I'd love to join you for that Saturday auction

Any clue as to what that Viper will likely go for?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just got my '06 Grand Prix out of the shop for the fourth time in as many weeks for the same power steering issue it's been plagued with since August. They've replaced the power steering pump three times (thank gently caress parts and labour are under warranty) and told me that the problem lies in the fact that they can't get OEM pumps for these cars so they have to get rebuilt ones, and that there's only ONE supplier in the whole world they can get them from. What I'm curious to know is how is it that these power steering pumps can fail repeatedly and in such rapid succession like this that they wouldn't be able to diagnose some other more serious problem that the p/s pump repeatedly failing is merely a symptom of? :eng99:

I know my rant isn't exactly specific to this thread but it brings me to my next point: I've decided to hell with that car and I need something else pronto.

There was some talk about the Michener Allen auctions a couple pages ago (edit: or two posts ago)... Anybody have any prior experience with them or know what their deal is? I get the feeling that these cars are on the chopping block because they also have problems that their owners got tired of dealing with and also prevented them from being able to get rid of them on their own. But at the same time, if that's not the case, I went through the previous final sale prices of their August and September auctions and noticed some pretty drat good deals if the cars aren't all bullshit.

I went ahead and made a spreadsheet of about 20 of the cars that are coming up for sale on Saturday that might suit my needs, listing things like engine size, mileage, EPA fuel economy, horsepower, torque, colour, average in-province kijiji selling price for that year/model, and average final auction sale price for similar models from their August/Sept auctions. I noticed they had a few Grand Prix's sell the last couple times around for about $2000 less than the same car would likely be listed at on Kijiji, and the same thing for a few other models, so I'm really tempted...

I might only be able to do online bidding, and although I hate the idea of spending a huge chunk of change on something I can't physically inspect first, I don't think I'd be able to diagnose any weird issues just by looking at a car if I were to go up there anyway. I'm not really the most knowledgeable about cars... there i said it

Ahaha yup. I hate that this place even exists, because I know as soon as I walk in that I'm not going to find what I want, nobody is going to help me find it, and there's going to be a line of pissy old farmers bitching about how long they've been waiting in that line. Definite no-go-zone. That store was built on a foundation of broken dreams.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 15, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Saturday's auction looks like pretty thin gruel. The '09 WRX looks interesting but I bet it'll be pretty high priced. Pretty sure it's a WRX224 and not a 265 too.

That '98 Saturn SL would be neat if you could get it for the banger rally next summer (under $500). That Catera would be an even better choice. You could get a buddy for your Continental, too.

The Audi A6 looks rough.

What do the Mazda 3 stick-shift sedans usually go for? Mazda3 valuation in the early years seems to be dropping like a stone on Kijiji so I bet the auction prices are even lower. Lot of '03 Toyota Matrices too, weird. They must now be getting that scary "12 year old car" disease and spook their owners into new cars they can't afford.

I'm so excited that scrap prices are low again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Handen posted:

I just got my '06 Grand Prix out of the shop for the fourth time in as many weeks for the same power steering issue it's been plagued with since August. They've replaced the power steering pump three times (thank gently caress parts and labour are under warranty) and told me that the problem lies in the fact that they can't get OEM pumps for these cars so they have to get rebuilt ones, and that there's only ONE supplier in the whole world they can get them from. What I'm curious to know is how is it that these power steering pumps can fail repeatedly and in such rapid succession like this that they wouldn't be able to diagnose some other more serious problem that the p/s pump repeatedly failing is merely a symptom of? :eng99:
Debris/dirt/dead animals in the system, almost guaranteed. They are a hydraulic system and are typically pretty robust... but... once you get a failure, especially if it's a bad one, the entire system needs to be thoroughly flushed or else the next one will fail pronto. Any shop worth their salt should know this.

Powershift was talking about auctions literally the post before mine. He is the Alberta AI dark prince of auctions. I too am fascinated by them and haven't been at one for years, but I would love to check one out.

And probably be looking for a new wife that same weekend because I'd come home with some wreck.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I assume the lots are auctioned off in order, but I'm curious to know when the C lot will start vs when the D lot will start? Or is each lot letter auctioned simultaneously by two auctioneers?

There are two Jetta TDIs that I got excited about because of their excellent fuel economy and the fact that I'll be putting 5000km a month on whatever car I get, but my mechanic warned against getting a diesel for heavy inner city driving. Is there any truth to this? He said it'd be great for highway driving, but I mean I'll be putting a fuckton of km's on it regardless... So in my mind they're off the table for now. The Altima Hybrid is the best fuel economy vehicle being offered (except for maybe those smart cars but I don't want a loving smart car) but it might surpass my spending limit, so I'm eyeballing that '08 Civic SI pretty hard.

Or gently caress it I'll just get one of those AWD Jaguars for cheap, rip around in style all winter with excellent traction, then sell it in the spring and find something else.

Edit:

slidebite posted:

Debris/dirt/dead animals in the system, almost guaranteed. They are a hydraulic system and are typically pretty robust... but... once you get a failure, especially if it's a bad one, the entire system needs to be thoroughly flushed or else the next one will fail pronto. Any shop worth their salt should know this.

In August I took it in because I could hear a squeaky belt and wanted to make sure it would be alright to drive to Nelson and back. They said it was a non-issue and did nothing. I believe "It's just a fan belt noise, it'll resolve itself on its own" were nearly the exact words said to me.

Then on the way back from Nelson I lost power steering in the mountains just ahead of Cranbrook. So I drove from Cranbrook back to Lethbridge with no power steering. Three hours through the loving mountains with no power steering, after a weekend of partying. I barely slept the night before. I was not prepared for this poo poo. Wrestled the car back into Lethbridge and got one block from where I was dropping my passenger off when the power steering pump became completely unhinged and all of the belts flew off the engine. I'd say that's a pretty bad failure.

I'd like to think that I was right to be suspect about the initial belt squeaking, and that if it had been diagnosed differenty and dealt with accordingly at the time that I wouldn't be having so many problems with the car right now. But the shop I go to has always been great and been in business forever, so I'd like to think they know what they're doing. :shepicide:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 15, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have a confession to make, I was a terrible Jeep owner...I didn't take my Wrangler off road enough.

I also through dumb luck owed about $5K less on it than it was worth. I took advantage of this immediately.

This province is rubbing off on me...

2015 3.5L EcoBoost RWD.
One of two in the country. The other was a base model with hand crank windows.
Something that weighs 4500lbs should not be this fast. Drake can confirm this.
It's getting a 3"/6" drop in the spring... (Full Race Motorsports also has a EFR 7163 kit capable of 1000hp)

The post your ride thread is getting the obligatory burnout shots.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

If I wasn't crazy with work, I'd love to join you for that Saturday auction

Any clue as to what that Viper will likely go for?

I can't see the viper going over $30k.

i'd bet probably $24-$25k, mustang money!

Although the american dollar coming in is really loving up auctions these days.

Handen posted:

I assume the lots are auctioned off in order, but I'm curious to know when the C lot will start vs when the D lot will start? Or is each lot letter auctioned simultaneously by two auctioneers?

There are two Jetta TDIs that I got excited about because of their excellent fuel economy and the fact that I'll be putting 5000km a month on whatever car I get, but my mechanic warned against getting a diesel for heavy inner city driving. Is there any truth to this? He said it'd be great for highway driving, but I mean I'll be putting a fuckton of km's on it regardless... So in my mind they're off the table for now. The Altima Hybrid is the best fuel economy vehicle being offered (except for maybe those smart cars but I don't want a loving smart car) but it might surpass my spending limit, so I'm eyeballing that '08 Civic SI pretty hard.

Or gently caress it I'll just get one of those AWD Jaguars for cheap, rip around in style all winter with excellent traction, then sell it in the spring and find something else.

The letter is the lane number. 4 lanes simultaneously A-D, E is stationary stuff. They usually time it pretty well to end right at 5pm, although i've seen them finish as early as 2, or go as late as 9 depending on the number of cars. Those jaghoors are super fuckin tempting because they go for $2000-$2500 with 100k kms on them. at that price you could pretty much afford to buy second as a parts car. It's essentially a ford mondeo, so how problematic could it possibly be?

WITNESS!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 15, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Powershift posted:

The letter is the lane number. 4 lanes simultaneously A-D, E is stationary stuff. They usually time it pretty well to end right at 5pm, although i've seen them finish as early as 2, or go as late as 9 depending on the number of cars. Those jaghoors are super fuckin tempting because they go for $2000-$2500 with 100k kms on them. at that price you could pretty much afford to buy second as a parts car. It's essentially a ford mondeo, so how problematic could it possibly be?

Sweet, thanks for the auction info, I'll have to plan accordingly. Yeah I looked at the prices of similar Jaguars in previous auctions on a whim and was like "Whoa, what? Seriously? That can't be right..." But they're 3mpg worse for fuel economy than my Grand Prix so if I got one I'd only be using it for the benefit of better traction in the winter. It's a trade-off, really. I'll spend a bit more on gas so long as I'm not sliding around like an idiot all the time. But at the same time, I live in Lethbridge, so it's a gamble if we'll even have that many days with snow on the roads to begin with.

Also, what's the deal with the Ford Mondeo? Are you thinking the Jaguars are going to be a huge pain in the rear end to keep on the road?

Edit: I keep going back and forth... I could spend ~$8k on a car that'll shave $1000 off of my yearly fuel costs, or spend ~$4k on a car that won't give me any breaks with fuel economy and might cost a bit more to maintain in the long run. Subconsciously I want to try and get something that aligns with the former category, but as far as finances are concerned, after all of the math, I'll still be about on par with buying something in the latter category. Decisions...

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 15, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

I'm fairly convinced at this point that shops just take random stabs in the dark in this province. I just took a look at a 90s Civic for a friend last weekend that got quoted $2k to bring up to "roadworthy". Among the litany of things thrown in there I spotted "rear caliper replacement" being recommended... for a car that has drums.

Car had been taken to the same shop for years and looking through the service history I saw some real rip off poo poo like charging for alignments when changing from summer to winter tires, but apparently it was 60k overdue for a timing belt. :psyduck:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Handen posted:

Sweet, thanks for the auction info, I'll have to plan accordingly. Yeah I looked at the prices of similar Jaguars in previous auctions on a whim and was like "Whoa, what? Seriously? That can't be right..." But they're 3mpg worse for fuel economy than my Grand Prix so if I got one I'd only be using it for the benefit of better traction in the winter. It's a trade-off, really. I'll spend a bit more on gas so long as I'm not sliding around like an idiot all the time. But at the same time, I live in Lethbridge, so it's a gamble if we'll even have that many days with snow on the roads to begin with.

Also, what's the deal with the Ford Mondeo? Are you thinking the Jaguars are going to be a huge pain in the rear end to keep on the road?

I mean normally you would expect anything jaguar on the car to go tits up and anything ford to chug along, and all the important bits are ford.

I'm still super pissed about my gangster benz. There's an ML55 AMG there with 160k kms, but i think that might be out of my gambling money price range. they're BOF, so it would be neat to throw all the ugly benz stuff on it and find a car with a similar wheelbase to slap on top. that crazy green granada would go perfectly,. who doesn't want a lime green lifted ford granada with mercedes mechanicals.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1976-granada-base-4-door_mint/1110093885

picture it my friends, a green granada on big mud tires hitting 60mph in 6 seconds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have a better idea and it involves the palleted LQ9 I know is sitting in the Ponoka LKQ, and the $868 USD "Denmah special" Chinesium LSx turbo kit that makes 540 wheel with cheap-rear end valvesprings.

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1320

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a better idea and it involves the palleted LQ9 I know is sitting in the Ponoka LKQ, and the $868 USD "Denmah special" Chinesium LSx turbo kit that makes 540 wheel with cheap-rear end valvesprings.

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1320

They dont consider the ECU or pedal box as part of the engine, so it's another $1000 for that stuff. they're asking $4k and don't budge a god drat inch when you can get a new LS3 for $6k if you hustle hard enough.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

McTinkerson posted:

I have a confession to make, I was a terrible Jeep owner...I didn't take my Wrangler off road enough.

I also through dumb luck owed about $5K less on it than it was worth. I took advantage of this immediately.

This province is rubbing off on me...

2015 3.5L EcoBoost RWD.
One of two in the country. The other was a base model with hand crank windows.
Something that weighs 4500lbs should not be this fast. Drake can confirm this.
It's getting a 3"/6" drop in the spring... (Full Race Motorsports also has a EFR 7163 kit capable of 1000hp)

The post your ride thread is getting the obligatory burnout shots.

Jesus Christ look at how flat that is. How do you people live there? It's like a literal wasteland.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Powershift have you ever bid on MA's online bidding thing or have you always bid in person? I can't get my mind off of that blue Jaguar. The idea of picking up an inexpensive AWD but terrible on gas luxury car that I can turn around and sell in the spring when I no longer need AWD intrigues me greatly. But I can't make it to the auction in person on Saturday so proxy bidding would be my only option. I might drive up on Friday to have a look at a handful of other cars first though, just to be sure.

Edit: hello 2010 crown vic police interceptor why didn't i see you before

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 15, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ex-cop cars are a crap shoot. Even then I'd keep an eye out on http://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav, the government surplus auction, where they liquidate RCMP and pretty much every crown agency fleet... including autos/goods forfeited to the crown. They had a Countach on there a couple years ago.

Don't get too stoked on that Jag. I took one out for a test drive a few years back and it was thoroughly disappointing... unless of course you get it for literally nothing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Handen posted:

Hey Powershift have you ever bid on MA's online bidding thing or have you always bid in person? I can't get my mind off of that blue Jaguar. The idea of picking up an inexpensive AWD but terrible on gas luxury car that I can turn around and sell in the spring when I no longer need AWD intrigues me greatly. But I can't make it to the auction in person on Saturday so proxy bidding would be my only option. I might drive up on Friday to have a look at a handful of other cars first though, just to be sure.

Edit: hello 2010 crown vic police interceptor why didn't i see you before

The online bidding is trucks and RVs only, even if it wasn't, there's a 10% online bidding fee which kinda kills most deals. that CVPI isn't a fleet unit, so it's somebody who bought one a while ago and has given up on it. there is however 2 mercury grand marquis, and one is questionable as hell in the cheap kind of questionable. stinks hard from smoker stink, has vinyl front seats and cloth rear which is oddball as all hell. should go cheap, be easy to clean up.

And yeah, the x-types are mondeo based, so FWD based and only like 160hp in a whole lotta pounds. still a capable awd car though.

there's a 5.0 auto vert SN95 mustang there with a leaky water pump and a rough roof, that could go cheap and be a hilarious little weekend getaway car. i can check out anything you're interested in today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MustardFacial posted:

Jesus Christ look at how flat that is. How do you people live there? It's like a literal wasteland.

Life in the prairies does things to a man...
At least the Calgary folks are a little under an hour away from the mountains, us central and northerners are hosed. It's all flat and straight.