Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

So, the Doctor got his Scottish from Amy

That phrase still irritates me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

And More posted:

The Fisher King never really turned into a proper character, though.

I agree mainly cause of the two awesome voices they sourced for him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That was alright. I like a quiet thoughtful story like that. The Fisher King looked really good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I honestly loved it, and would already place these two episodes in my top ten of the series. I haven't had that reaction in a very long time.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
DONT DIE ON ME DOCTOR, NOT NOW!

yo, he regenerates. shut up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God I hope the series hasn't peaked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The cold open was loving fantastic. The rest, ESPECIALLY the beat-you-over-the-head obvious reprisal of the cold open at the end, was considerably less so.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Dude just calls the Doctor out for treating O'Donnell like a test subject, that he only cares about saving clara because she's close to him. His answer is that he's saving Clara, not himself.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

The cold open was loving fantastic. The rest, ESPECIALLY the beat-you-over-the-head obvious reprisal of the cold open at the end, was considerably less so.

I was expecting the cold open to go somewhere, but its only purpose was to be called back to, it was fun but had no purpose in the episode. The whole concept had no purpose in the episode really, apart from to point out that the Doctor gave himself the idea in an infinite loop with no starting point. But if they're not going anywhere with it, why bother to point it out? The characters just shrug and the episode ends. It was weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

I was expecting the cold open to go somewhere, but its only purpose was to be called back to, it was fun but had no purpose in the episode. The whole concept had no purpose in the episode really, apart from to point out that the Doctor gave himself the idea in an infinite loop with no starting point. But if they're not going anywhere with it, why bother to point it out? The characters just shrug and the episode ends. It was weird.

4 or 5 seasons from now it will be teased in the marketing as an old unanswered question that's going to get revisited; and then ultimately mean next to nothing.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

4 or 5 seasons from now it will be teased in the marketing as an old unanswered question that's going to get revisited; and then ultimately mean next to nothing.

Honest question, so what was the point/reason/answer of/to the Silence. Because I don't remember that poo poo at all.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

A bit rough around the edges, but I enjoyed it. It feels like there were a few missing scenes in the past, where they go back into time half an hour, the Doctor says "gently caress it, I can save Clara" and then O'Donnell dies again anyway, even though we apparently don't see it. and the Doctor's off getting snarking with the Fisher King. Even though it technically was a causal loop and the Doctor didn't really change anything, it would've been nice to see that bit tied up a bit more. Of course, it could've been, and I just missed it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

squarerandom posted:

Dude just calls the Doctor out for treating O'Donnell like a test subject, that he only cares about saving clara because she's close to him. His answer is that he's saving Clara, not himself.

This bit especially fell flat because the Doctor makes an attempt to keep O'Donnell on the TARDIS. The subsequent "YOU, DOCTOR, ARE THE REAL MONSTER!" bit felt like the least earned one yet.

This felt like it could have been a single episode. There was definitely not ninety minutes of material in here. The resolution with the ghosts was lame, the village was so boring that even the production crew realized it and said, "Dunno, put up some Russian signs or something," and the last minute, "Oh, they're in love!" falls flat. Definitely Whithouse's worst script.

Come to think of it, the Russian bit feels like it was cribbed from The Curse of Fenric, which is also where Whithouse took the ending of The God Complex from.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

squarerandom posted:

Honest question, so what was the point/reason/answer of/to the Silence. Because I don't remember that poo poo at all.

I think that was just Moffat making it up as he went along. The whole "Oh yeah, remember the cracks? That's actually Gallifrey in a pocket universe!" "Silence will fall? Alien species for the opening two parter that will hardly ever get mentioned again"...Moffat can do a decent enough season arc, but not a mulit-season one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The cracks weren't Gallifrey in a pocket universe, Gallifrey was using the cracks to try to get back

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

2house2fly posted:

The cracks weren't Gallifrey in a pocket universe, Gallifrey was using the cracks to try to get back

Clearly the Doctor and the Master were their two leading experts at bullshit dimensional technobabble, or they'd already be back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So.... "Minister of War", blatant foreshadowing or throwaway 'make it sound future-y' reference?

And if the former, odds that it's Michelle Gomez in a trouser-suit?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That episode was extremely my jam. Loved the opening, loved the horror movie bit with Cass. Did not love O'Donnel dying, but these things need stakes don't they? All in all that was really good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh yeah, that other guy who went back with the Doctor did nothing in the whole episode except for be something for the Doctor to give expostion to about time travel (a hand puppet would have served that purpose), and O'Donnell's only contribution was to get killed. If I'm ever in a situation where the Doctor is saying to me "you should probably leave but if I employ a bit of reverse psychology you might decide to stay" I'm just going to leave.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

So.... "Minister of War", blatant foreshadowing or throwaway 'make it sound future-y' reference?

And if the former, odds that it's Michelle Gomez in a trouser-suit?

Given that she mentioned Harold Saxon in the same breath, I took Capaldi's response to it as kind of a playful jab at RTD's hamhanded arc words. It could be a genuine attempt at them, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rochallor posted:

Come to think of it, the Russian bit feels like it was cribbed from The Curse of Fenric, which is also where Whithouse took the ending of The God Complex from.

Isn't Whithouse the one that never watched the classic series?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I can't believe that after they cast Maisie Williams and the woman who plays Cass not a single person on the production team said "They should play younger and older versions of the same character" because I mean:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I don't know why, but calling out to the deaf person is the most perfectly human thing I've seen on television.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Before the Flood gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

I don't know why, but calling out to the deaf person is the most perfectly human thing I've seen on television.

When she was calling out to her I was saying to the TV,"You idiot, she's deaf!" and then she pretty much said to herself,"Oh you idiot, she's deaf!"

It was great :allears:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I think the answer to the Doctor's question is the Time Lords. That is sort of the job of the average Time Lord - resolve paradoxes, snip off divergent timelines, etc. His question at the end seemed to imply that they were still a factor in the universe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't think there was meant to be answer or a teaser for some deeper explanation, it was more the Doctor enjoying pointing out the paradox to Clara and the fact that he did not (and could not) know if he came up with the idea to save himself or was always relying on the loop to give him the idea.

Of course maybe it'll turn out that isn't the case at all, but he seemed more playful teacher/grandfather figure there to me than somebody positing a problem in search of an actual solution.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think there was meant to be answer or a teaser for some deeper explanation, it was more the Doctor enjoying pointing out the paradox to Clara and the fact that he did not (and could not) know if he came up with the idea to save himself or was always relying on the loop to give him the idea.

Of course maybe it'll turn out that isn't the case at all, but he seemed more playful teacher/grandfather figure there to me than somebody positing a problem in search of an actual solution.

Plus I don't think the show has ever really made it a mystery that the Time Lords job was basically to snip strands of time paradox. Didn't Nine say as much in Father's Day? Paradoxes once in a while aren't terrible, but that's because the Time Lords were around to keep poo poo cleaned up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Classtoise posted:

Paradoxes once in a while aren't terrible, but that's because the Time Lords were around to keep poo poo cleaned up?

In Hide the professor protests the notion of time travel and starts to talk about paradoxes, and the Doctor just irritably cuts him off with,"tend to resolve themselves!"

But as we've seen with the show, the complexity or otherwise of time travel and how it "works" changes based on the story they're doing at the time and usually (and rightfully) takes a secondary position to dramatic effect.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

This had me giggling like an idiot when it happened. :shobon:

Also because of this episode I've now learned how to swear in ASL. Thanks, Cass!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The love stuff was really hamfisted, but otherwise I really liked that episode.

Also The Doctor is going to forget to erase the words from the guy so don't worry that awesome costume will be back.

Also this was hilarious. Why would you make his body zoom offscreen, just let the wave go over him.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 11, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

gotta go fast

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

So for those that can sign what did the "don't need to translate that one" actually say?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

GonSmithe posted:

The love stuff was really hamfisted, but otherwise I really liked that episode.

Also The Doctor is going to forget to erase the words from the guy so don't worry that awesome costume will be back.

Also this was hilarious. Why would you make his body zoom offscreen, just let the wave go over him.

Water is non compressive. That much water, that fast, would kick you head over heels. It reminds me a little of Fires of Pompeii, with the doctor causing the disaster.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Darth Brooks posted:

Water is non compressive. That much water, that fast, would kick you head over heels. It reminds me a little of Fires of Pompeii, with the doctor causing the disaster.

I really don't care about water physics in my time traveling spaceman show, I care that it looks like they removed a Looney Tunes sound effect from it (they learned their lesson from Deep Breath).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Doctors fourth wall breaking monologue to the camera was a littlw strange, until I realised there is no reason it can't fit into continuity of the episode. If the camera zoomed out a little bit as the Doctor picked up the guitar we'd probably see O'Donnell looking all fangirl excited with the other dude just sitting there going :wtf:.

Kind of sad that didn't happen, the Doctor hamming it up for O'Donnell would have built up the idea of her being a potential companion and given her death more weight.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

The Doctors fourth wall breaking monologue to the camera was a littlw strange, until I realised there is no reason it can't fit into continuity of the episode. If the camera zoomed out a little bit as the Doctor picked up the guitar we'd probably see O'Donnell looking all fangirl excited with the other dude just sitting there going :wtf:.

Kind of sad that didn't happen, the Doctor hamming it up for O'Donnell would have built up the idea of her being a potential companion and given her death more weight.

Talking to the audience is kind of Twelve's thing. He did it at the start of Listen as well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pretty sure it was meant to Clara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can fully believe the Doctor just talks to himself when no-one else is around.

• Locked thread