Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So how does one go about playing with goons in not-WoT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lynneth posted:

Troika, could you invite me to the Battalion? I asked already, but you didn't see that post, apparently.
Name's same as here. Thanks.

Done.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Going for the M60A2 now; it's cool as balls but how does it stack up in-game?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Is there any real difference between the BMP and BMD lines? Do we know what tier 8-10s they lead to?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

cheese posted:

Is there any real difference between the BMP and BMD lines? Do we know what tier 8-10s they lead to?

BMD line has tier 8 tanks, BMP lines does not.

The BMP tanks have smoke grenades more hp but less camo, I don't think the BMD line gets them until tier 6 but have more camo and less hp?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I loved watching circon's livestream of this last night.
Oh PvP, ho hum so everyone is hiding behind rocks and buildings this sucks balls.
How about we shoot bots and drink beers all night instead, sounds good?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What voicechat is EU CAHI using, anyway? The one in the OP seems mostly NA goons.

spectralent posted:

You have a derpgun that can't fire AP, a gigantic tumor on top of your turret, you're slow and your rear end is one gigantic weakspot that hands out criticals.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

spectralent posted:

The starship is hot garbage burning in a dumpster fire. If you're really desperate to get further up the abrams line you should free exp past it and never look back.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BadLlama posted:

BMD line has tier 8 tanks, BMP lines does not.

The BMP tanks have smoke grenades more hp but less camo, I don't think the BMD line gets them until tier 6 but have more camo and less hp?

Additionally the BMP line is considered to be troop carriers and gets 25% faster capture and +40 meters view range while stopped.

The BMD line is mainly considered to be recon vehicles which get 10% more capture and +80 meters view range while stopped. However the Bradley, Warrior and Ramka get the APC bonus instead.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The starship is hot garbage burning in a dumpster fire. If you're really desperate to get further up the abrams line you should free exp past it and never look back.
If you want a starship, but not garbage, just drive the sheridan. It's the starship, but with the false promise of armor replaced by raw speed and the gun handling bonus for being an LT. Fortunately the Starship is the only lemon in the M1 line, the M60A3 and onwards are all excellent.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Starship honestly isn't all that terrible. It has better than average gun depression so you can get hull down pretty effectively. More importantly - you can fire ATGMs at things even if the gun can't fully depress meaning you only have to expose a very small sliver of your turret when you're slamming missiles into pubbies. It's not a perfect tank but you can make it work.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Pendent posted:

The Starship honestly isn't all that terrible.

lol get out

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Someone in a match asked me "hey nerdwing whats next on the goon social justice agenda?", and I replayed "GAMERGATE MORE LIKE GAMERGAYYYY". Did I do the right thing? :ohdear:

Also, is TS more lively than Mumble for platooning? I'm solo queuing and it isnt really helping me succeed in PVP it seems.

And how should I play the M60A3? Its sluggish, so I'm not really able to flank well. Expeditionary tanks pick me apart due to getting in positon much quicker. Should I be playing mid field with other groups of MBT's instead of trying to flank slowly?

EDIT: MM doing it right.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 11, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dandywalken posted:

Someone in a match asked me "hey nerdwing whats next on the goon social justice agenda?", and I replayed "GAMERGATE MORE LIKE GAMERGAYYYY". Did I do the right thing? :ohdear:

lol

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Should of used GAYMERGATE instead imo.

Also, do bushes add like 0 cover in this?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 11, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Also, do bushes add like 0 cover in this?

Bushes only give you extra concealment if they completely obscure your vehicle. If your turret points over it, no bonus. If your rear end is too wide, no bonus.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Starship is really good, the M60A3 is really lovely though. that might have to do since there are still hundreds of MBT-70s around

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Also, is TS more lively than Mumble for platooning? I'm solo queuing and it isnt really helping me succeed in PVP it seems.

And how should I play the M60A3? Its sluggish, so I'm not really able to flank well. Expeditionary tanks pick me apart due to getting in positon much quicker. Should I be playing mid field with other groups of MBT's instead of trying to flank slowly?

EDIT: MM doing it right.

I've found that with "slow(er)" MBTs you really need to watch it how far you are going, because once you are committed you can't easily retreat or reposition. You need to get the gently caress out of a flanked position well before it actually gets flanked.

The slower the tank, the worse will be at "tank CQC", so hang back and CHAI snipe instead :ocelot:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lol, dumb question, but: how do you successfully take screenshots? I mean the Print Screen button doesn't seem to automatically dump a JPEG in a folder like in WoT, and when I try to paste into an image editor the output from the monitor running the game is blacked out. This probably has something to do with why when the game is maximized, the stuff on the other displays (TeamSpeak, in particular) is frozen. Any ideas?

Ambaire posted:

Is anyone recreating old World of Tanks clans in AW? I have such fond memories of clan wars in No Dumb Pubs with ChairInABasket leading us, may he rest in peace... Stug Lyfe, Marder She Wrote, and others.

What are the active goon clans in Armored Warfare? I know of CHAI, but I heard it got full up.

I thought about this. It'd be nice to maybe have our old clans like NDP and SGLE in AW, although it'd be nice to know how the CW stuff is going to work. Someone willing to spend the :10bux: for the clans could certainly grab the clan tags, and probably should do it soon before we get CHAI-sniped out of our own goon clans.... :rolleyes:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

C.M. Kruger posted:

+15 to acceleration after firing while not on a road (what a oddly specific skill)

Every time you fire while playing arty, the enemy arty will see a circle bloom on the map, giving your general location. If he's looking at that area, he'll probably see you, as you'll be visible for several seconds after firing. If you don't move before firing again the map circle will be smaller, and you'll possibly be visible for a bit longer, not sure about that though. 3rd shot without moving and he basically gets a marker on the map, showing your position.

So you really want to move more or less every goddamned shot unless you want to get counterbatteried. Arty is sluggish and slow as gently caress, so bonus accel after every shot is actually pretty great for arty.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atomizer posted:

Lol, dumb question, but: how do you successfully take screenshots?
Just use FRAPS and never worry about any game's specific screenshot oddities ever again.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Magni posted:

What voicechat is EU CAHI using, anyway? The one in the OP seems mostly NA goons.

Eu Chai has 16 people, and maybe 3 of us actually talk to each other. If the ping wasn't so gamebreaking to Na I'd reroll there :(

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nordick posted:

Just use FRAPS and never worry about any game's specific screenshot oddities ever again.
Or if you're on Windows 10, the Game DVR stuff will also do screenshots with win+alt+printscr. I've started using it a bunch because Fraps doesn't play well with the Steam overlay or OBS.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

EUCHAI use camping the stars mumble, uh I think we hijacked an ArmaII channel or something last time.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Pimpmust posted:

EUCHAI use camping the stars mumble, uh I think we hijacked an ArmaII channel or something last time.

Yeah we did, was funsies.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I was kinda hoping more people would want to join once open beta started :(

Still waiting to hear about my apartment, once that's sorted I can finally use voip again.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well it's not like they have much in the way of marketing. Googling Armored Warfare on google news brings me a whole lot of German/Polish/Russian/Thai(?) or what have you sites, and very few english ones.
Some short articles from PC Gamer, Gamespot and VG247 is about it for mainstream stuff.
Then you have youtube people like MightyJingles doing a video per month or so, with ~70 000 viewers.
It's not on steam, it's "yet another tank game/WoT ripoff" and "My.com" is pretty new on the stage.

It's probably gonna be a slow grower as more people find out about it through the various longway channels.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ChickenWyngz posted:

Yeah we did, was funsies.
Looks like we have a channel all to ourselves now, so all y'all get on Mumble!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

drat :(

It's not the abrams I want, I just think the Starship looks really rad. Shame it sucks.

How's the Swingfire in that line? M551's in range too.

Stannum
May 8, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Lol, dumb question, but: how do you successfully take screenshots?

The printscreen button should place a screenshot in: C:\Users\username\Saved Games\ArmoredWarfare\User\ScreenShots

Its a low quality jpeg though :(

spectralent posted:

How's the Swingfire in that line?

Swingfire is fun. You only get a dual atgm launcher, no gun. Gun depression means nothing, all you need is LOS. >:E You don't have a turret so you always fire the atgms forwards, so you can have some difficulty firing them in some situations

Stannum fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 11, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
While the Starship isn't great in PvP, it seems solid in PvE to bloop AI with your 152mm gun launcher. So no need to free-xp through it. I actually enjoy it in PvE.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What does a LAV-150 do as soon as it runs out of other LAV-150's/M41's to shoot?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

What does a LAV-150 do as soon as it runs out of other LAV-150's/M41's to shoot?

Load up HE, drive right next to MBTs, and drive in circles around them faster than their turret can turn while plinking them for scratch damage? I killed two that way the other day.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you actually get into a situation where you have shots at a tank's engine deck and you have HE/HEI, you will tear strips off of them with an autocannon.

Autocannons seem like annoyance weapons against tanks, right up until they're in a situation where they can penetrate.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

spectralent posted:

Load up HE, drive right next to MBTs, and drive in circles around them faster than their turret can turn while plinking them for scratch damage? I killed two that way the other day.
And if the enemy team does not obligingly split up into loose tanks?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

And if the enemy team does not obligingly split up into loose tanks?

Then you're hosed but you were hosed anyway if the other team is good, because your team always isn't.

EDIT: And if your team is, on the off chance, good, do the same thing but just sit behind them best you can and either do loads of damage over time to them or force them to take time to turn their turret to you, or break off to deal with you, or whatever.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 11, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

demonR6 posted:

How is this different for that 'other' tank game?
It's not, I mean really how much can you do to reinvent the wheel?

But what about the other other tank game? Is Armored Warfare more sim(War Thunder) or arcade(WoT)?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DiHK posted:

But what about the other other tank game? Is Armored Warfare more sim(War Thunder) or arcade(WoT)?

Absolutely more WoT, well at least compared to the good WT tank modes.

On that note, played some AW last night, and while it seemed interesting, I don't think I can really enjoy the HP and vision style game over the WT "realism" style anymore. I've preferred that kind of no remorse gameplay though since BF1942 mods, so that's s big part of it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 11, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

DiHK posted:

I guess what I meant is the core of this is you are in an armored vehicle of some sort playing on a map and shooting at other armored vehicles. The overall concept is the same and if you took a group of random dudes who never played any of these games they would probably say it's the same poo poo to them.

ChickenWyngz posted:

Eu Chai has 16 people, and maybe 3 of us actually talk to each other. If the ping wasn't so gamebreaking to Na I'd reroll there :(

I don't think the ping to the NA TS is quite and unmanageable as the ping to the game servers. There is plenty of room on the NA server for EU goons to have their own rooms so as not to deal with our Murica filth if that is a problem.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mazz posted:

Absolutely more WoT, well at least compared to the good WT tank modes.

On that note, played some AW last night, and while it seemed interesting, I don't think I can really enjoy the HP and vision style game over the WT "realism" style anymore. I've preferred that kind of no remorse gameplay though since BF1942 mods, so that's s big part of it.

Same. I can have fun but periodically I get shot by someone who was perfectly visible but the game just decided I couldn't see yet and I'm immediately taken out of the experience again. I think I'll push up to ATGMs, though; if I have fun playing pseudo-artillery there might be something for me.

• Locked thread