Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not quite, he needs to go forward another 65.8 light seconds before he's at the centre. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
An anaconda showed up so I scanned and left.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I really hope they solve this Exploration issue for your sake - you would have wasted this trip otherwise.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As agonizing as it would be to go that far and then get destroyed, I do wonder if anyone has flown into that black hole.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shipon posted:

I really hope they solve this Exploration issue for your sake - you would have wasted this trip otherwise.

I saw something on the red dots that indicated that they had.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shipon posted:

Yeah, the warning thread had been updated by the time that I woke up this morning that all is well.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Interesting to be in a Cobra and able to take smuggling missions. 200k for 4 jumps and just being terrified of ships that show up green but none of the have even involved areas with cops. Hardest part is if I get dicted really. Gonna be in a Vulture any day now.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Yeah, Viper, then Vulture. Very slightly less manoeuvrable, but much heavier armament and shields/armour.

See, I hated the Viper. I greatly prefer the Cobra when it comes to combat.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Met posted:

Yeah, the warning thread had been updated by the time that I woke up this morning that all is well.

Interesting, I take back what I said. I did log in once I heard this but noticed that some of the data from systems I explored in that period before the 1.4 upgrade don't appear to have been explored. Is this going to be merged in at a later time?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

H13 posted:

See, I hated the Viper. I greatly prefer the Cobra when it comes to combat.

Did they changed the ships recently?

Because back in 1.2 the Viper was better than the Cobra.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xae posted:

Did they changed the ships recently?

Because back in 1.2 the Viper was better than the Cobra.

Some people just prefer the feel of the Cobra over the Viper.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeQbyaRkjE

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

"Where are the authorities :smith:"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I see a fair few mentions on the wiki about Stealth.

Is it something worth messing with? I haven't really had any troubles smuggling so far...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

H13 posted:

So I see a fair few mentions on the wiki about Stealth.

Is it something worth messing with? I haven't really had any troubles smuggling so far...

I've noticed the same thing. I've been caught a few times at the mail slot but I just jump out and try again.

Unbeatable strategy:
Stay out at about 8km and get lined up right on the mail slot. Slowly move up to 7.5, request docking.
Hit full engines and zoom on in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Traded my Type 6 out for my trust Cobra again. I think this time I want to outfit this ship for exploration. Already got me the "big rear end" scanner, now I need to run a few missions and save up for some other modules. Do other dedicated explorers drop weapons/offense entirely? Seems like in a fast Cobra with good shields, any and all combat can mostly be avoided. Am I right in thinking this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Interesting to be in a Cobra and able to take smuggling missions. 200k for 4 jumps and just being terrified of ships that show up green but none of the have even involved areas with cops. Hardest part is if I get dicted really. Gonna be in a Vulture any day now.

I was in my Type 6 earlier today that was outfitted primarily for mining, and took a smuggling mission for 600k. About 13 jumps and interdicted twice, but made the whole trip in maybe 10 minutes. Easy money.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I take breaks from mining to smuggle with my Asp. The jump range is like 30, so it takes just a few minutes to run those for $300-$600k. Though I'm tempted to slap together a dedicated smuggling Cobra (like so) for that stuff because the Asp handles like a big stupid blimp and I kinda hate using it for anything but mining.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I picked this up on Xbone today and I'll be playing it a ton when I get home from work. Does anyone else play on the bone?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm playing in the bone (as Aramoro).

I've just saved up some pennies, should I get an Eagle or and Asp or is it better to just save up and get a Cobra?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
An Asp costs way more than a cobra, so I'm assuming you meant a Viper or Adder.

Anyway, you get to reclaim 90% of the credits you spent on ships and modules when you sell them, so unless it's only a small amount of credits to go before you can afford your goal, there's no reason not to buy intermediary upgrades and use them to increase your earning power.

Just keep in mind that the actual price of a good ship can be significantly more than the cost of the hull itself, as they come standard with only the worst-rated modules.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Slashrat posted:

An Asp costs way more than a cobra, so I'm assuming you meant a Viper or Adder.

Whoops I think I meant Adder, the smallest of the multipurpose ships.

I've mostly been doing bounty hunting for cash so I was thinking an Eagle was an upgrade in that direction. Or going down the multipurpose route and mix things up a bit.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

chaosapiant posted:

Traded my Type 6 out for my trust Cobra again. I think this time I want to outfit this ship for exploration. Already got me the "big rear end" scanner, now I need to run a few missions and save up for some other modules. Do other dedicated explorers drop weapons/offense entirely? Seems like in a fast Cobra with good shields, any and all combat can mostly be avoided. Am I right in thinking this?

Yep. Minimal defensive systems (crap shield, maybe a chaff launcher; even those are mostly just to make you *feel* safer, they almost certainly won't be used) and no guns.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Whoops I think I meant Adder, the smallest of the multipurpose ships.

I've mostly been doing bounty hunting for cash so I was thinking an Eagle was an upgrade in that direction. Or going down the multipurpose route and mix things up a bit.

If you want to lazily out-turn with enemies, then get an Eagle. If you want something better suited to tackle larger ships (better firepower and survivability), then get the Viper. It's not as nimble as the Eagle, so you'll be more reliant on speed and positioning and less on simply turning inside people.

I haven't used the Adder, but I'd skip it; the Cobra is a much better multirole ship and won't take long to afford if you're decent at bounty hunting.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, Viper, then Vulture. Very slightly less manoeuvrable, but much heavier armament and shields/armour.
There's also the iCourier as an intermediate step between the Viper and Vulture: it has shields that are almost on par with the Vulture, the hull costs about half as much as it and is significantly cheaper to outfit. You do need some Empire reputation to buy it, though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

radintorov posted:

There's also the iCourier as an intermediate step between the Viper and Vulture: it has shields that are almost on par with the Vulture, the hull costs about half as much as it and is significantly cheaper to outfit. You do need some Empire reputation to buy it, though.

Which you should be getting anyway. Imperial ships are freaking gorgeous. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

If you want to lazily out-turn with enemies, then get an Eagle. If you want something better suited to tackle larger ships (better firepower and survivability), then get the Viper. It's not as nimble as the Eagle, so you'll be more reliant on speed and positioning and less on simply turning inside people.

I haven't used the Adder, but I'd skip it; the Cobra is a much better multirole ship and won't take long to afford if you're decent at bounty hunting.

Don't forget the Imperial Eagle: It's basically a better armed Eagle. So if you don't like the Viper for some reason you can upgrade your Eagle to an Imperial Eagle instead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shine posted:

Ah cheers. I think I might just go for the Viper and then use that to save for the Cobra.

I like this part of the game, Eve became a little stale after you could just buy any ship you wanted and losses became meaningless.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Shine posted:

I take breaks from mining to smuggle with my Asp. The jump range is like 30, so it takes just a few minutes to run those for $300-$600k. Though I'm tempted to slap together a dedicated smuggling Cobra (like so) for that stuff because the Asp handles like a big stupid blimp and I kinda hate using it for anything but mining.

What do you use for mining? I'm thinking of trying it out. I have a tricked out asp for long range rare trading and a vulture to shoot mans. I'm not sure what ship to go for after the vulture for killing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

I think I've seen this one before, why is it a class A Friendship Drive? Just to keep # of jumps down?

I can totally put this together but that's a third of the cost, just wondering if it's as necessary if I'm fine with adding a few jumps per run.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I've seen this one before, why is it a class A Friendship Drive? Just to keep # of jumps down?

I can totally put this together but that's a third of the cost, just wondering if it's as necessary if I'm fine with adding a few jumps per run.

I always tend to get interdicted right after jumping into a new system, so for me less jumps is both faster and safer. This won't stop the assholes who interdict you 3 seconds from where you are trying to land, but should go a long way toward not getting bumped by weirdo pirates hanging out by the nav beacon.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
....you know...stuff silent running smuggling stuff - just line up and blast through the hangar with thrusters on full before the scan completes.

...Which isn't as easy in a type 6... you can't easily thrust up to avoid slamming into the "cage".

BogDew fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 11, 2015

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

There's nothing to shoot at while exploring. You stop running into NPCs once you're 100ly or so from civilization.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

QuantaStarFire posted:

There's nothing to shoot at while exploring. You stop running into NPCs once you're 100ly or so from civilization.

You're gonna feel really dumb when you run into a thargoid.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pssh thargoids will be fought by hauling things from A to B.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Brave explorers will suicide-ram Thargoids to death.

What are some interesting close exploration sites? I just put some fancy scanners in a Hauler and want to poke around for a week, was thinking of heading to the Pleiades first.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

chrisoya posted:

Brave explorers will suicide-ram Thargoids to death.

What are some interesting close exploration sites? I just put some fancy scanners in a Hauler and want to poke around for a week, was thinking of heading to the Pleiades first.

The nebula at NGC 7822 sector is the Pleiades' bigger brother and is about 3k LY away. Lots of O stars and some black holes inside a nebula.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lima posted:

The nebula at NGC 7822 sector is the Pleiades' bigger brother and is about 3k LY away. Lots of O stars and some black holes inside a nebula.

I actually came across this by accident. Noticed the nebula from a long way off - looked like a red dot inside a small orange cloud. I thought maybe it was a protostar or remnant or something, and couldn't be more than a hundred or two ly away.

2K lightyears later and :holymoley:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pfft, look at this guy. Still believes that Thargoids are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rasmussen posted:

What do you use for mining? I'm thinking of trying it out. I have a tricked out asp for long range rare trading and a vulture to shoot mans. I'm not sure what ship to go for after the vulture for killing.

Here's my mining Asp:

Shine posted:

Here's mine. The big FSD is so I can easily swap to trading/smuggling when I don't feel like mining or Vulturing. I use a C3 shield, which doesn't provide much protection for an Asp, but I mine in remote areas so I seldom have to deal with pirates, and using a C3 shield lets me slap a bigger cargo hold onto that 5 slot. I'm too paranoid to go without a shield entirely.

I use one C2 mining laser and it still outpaces 3 collectors, so I imagine it would sync pretty well with four. I wouldn't bother with multiple mining lasers unless I was running a bigass ship that could put out like 6 collectors and still have cargo space. I put a C2 pulse laser on the other medium slot just in case I run into a pirate. Four smalls and one medium does fine against small targets.

You can scale down if needed (such as the FSD) to make it cheaper.

I think I've seen this [Cobra] before, why is it a class A Friendship Drive? Just to keep # of jumps down?

Yeah, the A-FSD makes most missions 1-2 jumps. You can go smaller to save money and make a few more jumps. It won't be long before you can afford to bump it to A-class anyway.

• Locked thread