Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think they go over why Ocelot is very low key compared to usual. This is a big spoiler for the ending of the game.

The cassette you get after mission 46 includes a conversation between the real Big Boss and Ocelot where the latter reveals that he's going to have to hypnotize himself into forgetting about the real Big Boss in order to help set in the lie for Venom. Despite that, it's very likely that Ocelot still subconsciously knew that something was off and that Venom was not the man he fell in love with back in Tselinoyarsk. I think Code Talker even says it, or at least implies it, that Ocelot is depressed and heartbroken over having to let go of Big Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but like, he goes batshit crazy again in another decade.

This seems very believable. If you go crazy once, seeing you go crazy again afterwards makes sense to me.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think they go over why Ocelot is very low key compared to usual. This is a big spoiler for the ending of the game.

The cassette you get after mission 46 includes a conversation between the real Big Boss and Ocelot where the latter reveals that he's going to have to hypnotize himself into forgetting about the real Big Boss in order to help set in the lie for Venom. Despite that, it's very likely that Ocelot still subconsciously knew that something was off and that Venom was not the man he fell in love with back in Tselinoyarsk. I think Code Talker even says it, or at least implies it, that Ocelot is depressed and heartbroken over having to let go of Big Boss.

Yeah, that's a good point. (That big spoiler again): In a game with neurological problems as a running theme, it's possible that, while everybody else is dealing with phantom limb syndrome, Ocelot's having Capgras. Except not really, since he's right.

The thing dragging Metal Gear Solid down is that we can't go back in time to 1998 and tell everybody that the key to the series turns out to be Ocelot being deeply in love.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This boss fight looks really loving annoying and bad, I can't get mad at you for throwing your controller at the TV.

e: A thing dragging down almost all games for me is boss fights, because unless it's a game that's basically built around boss fights like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, they usually are just really lovely and obnoxiously made and less fun than fighting a wave of various mooks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

This boss fight looks really loving annoying and bad, I can't get mad at you for throwing your controller at the TV.

e: A thing dragging down almost all games for me is boss fights, because unless it's a game that's basically built around boss fights like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, they usually are just really lovely and obnoxiously made and less fun than fighting a wave of various mooks.

I find it can be fairly hit or miss. Like, if a boss keeps you on your toes and doesn't overstay its welcome then it can be fun. The MetaRidley fight in Metroid Prime was great, while he did operate on a specific pattern he had two phases and you had a lot of options for dealing with his attacks and there wasn't much waiting around. Most of Metroid Prime's bosses were based on you actively moving around and working to stun them and leave them vulnerable. But the biggest problem a lot of games tend to do, is make bosses where the entire strategy is "wait until you're allowed to hit it, repeat three or more times with longer periods between." Prime 3's bosses, for example, are largely just wait until you can shoot the spot on the boss that hurts it and it gets frustrating because it's not fun to just stand around waiting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Actually most of Metroid Prime's bosses are pretty lousy and definitely the worst part of the game. Meta Ridley is okay, but mostly just the second phase; the first phase does have a lot of waiting because about half the time you can't hurt Ridley. Thankfully you can just catch him out with Wavebuster and get through the first phase pretty effortlessly. But then the game also has Thardus and Flaaghra and those fights loving suck. Really the only decent bosses in the game are Omega Pirate and Metroid Prime (at least it is one of the rare games with a good final boss).

Although you are correct that Metroid Prime 3's bosses are much, much worse.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Metroid Prime is the worst fight in the game though, you literally just wait for him to puke up the phazon then shoot him. Flaaghra isn't perfect but it's simple. Shoot mirrors, bomb hole. As long as you have Thardus is just a matter of shooting while dodging, you can still damage him while he rolls around even. Omega Pirate is a slow pain in the rear end because he regens his armor quickly and constantly and summons more pirates near non-stop as well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I actually thought most of the Prime main bosses were really good. The bosses you fight chiefly for powerups, though? gently caress them, they're usually straight-up slugfests and just kind of painful. Area bosses tend to have some structure or forms to them, something that makes them more than just a DPS race, or they're things like Thardus and Ridley who at least make a DPS race interesting.

I prefer the Zelda style of bosses that are a bit more like puzzles (while not outright being puzzle bosses, although I'm okay with them too), and I always liked how the Prime games approached that. It's better than Zelda, in fact, since in Prime the bosses guard the powerup so the solution isn't blatantly obvious. I wish more games did stuff like that, and more than anything about the Metal Gear series I'm disappointed that they largely didn't. A stealth game should be perfect for a slower and more thoughtful boss, and they do well at them when they try, but usually it's just a flat-out gun battle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I actually thought most of the Prime main bosses were really good. The bosses you fight chiefly for powerups, though? gently caress them, they're usually straight-up slugfests and just kind of painful. Area bosses tend to have some structure or forms to them, something that makes them more than just a DPS race, or they're things like Thardus and Ridley who at least make a DPS race interesting.

I prefer the Zelda style of bosses that are a bit more like puzzles (while not outright being puzzle bosses, although I'm okay with them too), and I always liked how the Prime games approached that. It's better than Zelda, in fact, since in Prime the bosses guard the powerup so the solution isn't blatantly obvious. I wish more games did stuff like that, and more than anything about the Metal Gear series I'm disappointed that they largely didn't. A stealth game should be perfect for a slower and more thoughtful boss, and they do well at them when they try, but usually it's just a flat-out gun battle.

I wish the Echoes bosses and enemies were better. I like that the bosses actually used the powerups you got from them, but the boss design was usually really not fun. The big three were cool and I love fighting Dark Samus, but all of the guardians were just tiresome. I dread having to fight the grapple guardian's hitbox every time I replay that game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thinky Whale posted:

I like the idea I've heard that he's more sedate because you tranqed him in the head 20 times during the mother base tutorial.

Pft, that wouldn't do anything. Ocelot has had drug ressssistance trrraining

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Thinky Whale posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. (That big spoiler again): In a game with neurological problems as a running theme, it's possible that, while everybody else is dealing with phantom limb syndrome, Ocelot's having Capgras. Except not really, since he's right.

The thing dragging Metal Gear Solid down is that we can't go back in time to 1998 and tell everybody that the key to the series turns out to be Ocelot being deeply in love.

Wait, is this one really gay?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Pick posted:

Actually slightly less than the usual Metal Gear level. No side missions about gay sex in a box on the beach, but it's basically text as Ocelot's motivation, and he does get a line about being in love with the legend.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Pick posted:

Phrasing.

Yes it is. In the older games gay characters would be played up for laughs and were almost always antagonists. This game is more subdued with the subject.

Best way to describe Ocelot here is that he's like EVA now in that he realizes he can never be with Snake and has consigned himself with helping Snake as much as he can. He's past the puppy love stage and accepted his place in Snake's world.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GW2 is an MMO, and a "casual" MMO at that, so it attracts ire from both the poopsockers and the anti-poopsockers alike but gently caress you I like it anyway.

That said there is one impressively dumb design decision still hanging around the game's neck:

* No "build locker" so you can swap your character between different stats that emphasize things like power, defense, critical chance, and condition damage. With raids becoming a "thing" in the expansion and the beta indicating that build-swapping is going to be more or less mandatory, not having what should have been a day one feature is looking more and more egregious. Fixing this would improve all high level content immensely.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been replaying Dragon Age: Origins because I felt like a good RPG and it's been long enough for me to play it. After that I'll do DA2 (which I never really played) and DA:I once I have a computer that can actually run it.

It's great. I'm enjoying it a lot, even though it's a bit easy even on Nightmare difficulty. So far only the dragons and maybe one or two other fights have been giving me trouble, although that might have to do with the fact that I'm pretty efficient in my builds now that I know what to look for. I'm also not averse to looking up things like good items for my character, pitfalls and quests I might miss, etc, because I just want to have fun. There's only one thing really dragging this game down.

Random unique drops in single player games you only get one chance to get. For example, the Fade Wall is apparently the best shield for my build (Arcane Warrior) which has a chance to drop from a single (challenging) encounter. If it doesn't drop you either have to deal with it or reload. After two tries I said gently caress it and used to console command to get it.

I just don't understand why they'd put in a mechanic like for a unique item that you only have one chance to get. Do the latter games still do this?

Taeke has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Oct 11, 2015

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Was there a recommended route and build for DA:O? I tried it once and ended up stuck in the Mages Tower and couldn't fight the monsters there. I don't think this is an RPG where grinding is mandatory. There was another path I went and got stonewalled by the enemies as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Was there a recommended route and build for DA:O? I tried it once and ended up stuck in the Mages Tower and couldn't fight the monsters there. I don't think this is an RPG where grinding is mandatory. There was another path I went and got stonewalled by the enemies as well.
Arcane Warrior for Mages is hilariously overpowered. Actually, Mages are overpowered in general, just go Arcane Warrior and take Morrigan.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yup, Arcane Warriors are basically just tanks that are even more unkillable and have a lot of versatility. I went Redcliffe > Mages Circle > Forest > part of Denerim and now I'm doing Orzimmar.

This was very useful: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins
As was this for playing Arcane Warrior: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/65293-the-ultimate-guide-to-arcane-warriors/

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taeke posted:

I just don't understand why they'd put in a mechanic like for a unique item that you only have one chance to get. Do the latter games still do this?

I don't remember it being the case for uniques in DA2, but loot is often randomized in the series. In DA:I, unique items like the named purples are fixed, but other stuff like schematics is a mix of fixed and random. Eg, you'll always get Gift of the Mountain Father great axe when you beat the boss that carries it, but the Ferelden Scout Hat schematic drops at random.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why the hell does Castle Crashers not have a combo list?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really like playing Evolve with a controller instead of K+M, but I really hate that you can't remap the buttons.

For reference, monsters each have special abilities numbered 1-4. The other non-ability controls are jump/fly, climb, crouch/stealth, and melee attack. So of course it makes perfect sense to map all of the numbered abilities to either the 4 face buttons or the 4 shoulder/trigger buttons, and group all the non-ability controls together. Nope. Instead it only lets you split them 2 and 2 each, so you have 2 abilities on the face buttons and 2 on the shoulders.

There is no reason all of these can't be grouped together, but they won't let you. I shouldn't have to install a third-party button remapper just to use what is literally the most intuitive control scheme the game could possibly have.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Desert Golfing, a simple 2D golfing game has thrown this at me and I cannot proceed.

I've tried very slowly rolling the ball to just above the hole but even the slowest speed puts it in the water. I cannot bank it off the right because the water stretches too far off screen. I'm pretty sure these courses are randomly generated and I guess the algorithm finally had enough of me.

Edit: I looked it up and that was the intended "end" of the game but you CAN bank it, I just haven't hit the spot yet.
gently caress this game I love it

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Oct 11, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Finally got around to playing Final Fantasy Type-0. I'd been looking forward to this game being localized for years, but now that it has been and I've finally gotten my hands on it I'm a bit disappointed. Of course the jokes on me for getting my hopes up for a modern Final Fantasy game, but I digress.

I slogged through the first several hours, but there's so much dragging it down that I ended up losing interest. To begin with there's too many characters, forcing you to micro-manage the abilities and equipment of over a dozen fighters, which gets real tedious real quick. And the decision to have such a huge cast is strange since only three or four of the students of Class Zero are actually relevant to the overall plot. But this is made even worse by the fact that nearly all relevant backstory is filed away in a codex-type menu. You're already given very little reason to care about any of the members of Class Zero or the world they inhabit, and what little information you are given is a text-dump in a sub-menu.

Compounding this is the genius decision to put mid-mission character interactions on a timer that's makes it so you have no choice but to miss out on some dialogue and story progression. You can't talk to every character in one play through, meaning you will inevitably miss out on huge chunks of character plot. You literally run into situations sometimes where you have to decide if you want to learn more about the story, or grind so you can progress. But you can't do both. I can't fathom how in the hell anyone thought this was a good idea.

The battle system is a weird fusion of really fun and total poo poo. On the one hand it's fast-paced, just complex enough to be challenging, and the one upside to having so many playable characters is that there's a myriad of ways to play since each character has their own unique fighting style. Of course that same upside is also a downside since you will inevitably be forced to control a character that you have no idea how to utilize properly, which during important battles can mean the different between winning or getting pasted. This is more my problem since I tended to focus on the same three characters when the game is designed around managing all fourteen of them, but in my defense having to juggle fourteen characters is ridiculous.

Type-0 almost feels like the devs hated working on it and hate you for playing it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Esroc posted:

Type-0 almost feels like the devs hated working on it and hate you for playing it.

Wasn't that the one that was supposed to be tied to 13 but like halfway through they decided it wasn't anymore and just scrapped that whole thing despite using the same terms and poo poo? Or am I thinking of another one?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
From software is pretty much the only good Japanese game developer left.

EDIT: And they definitely hate you, the player.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yep. It was originally Agito XIII. (And XV was originally going to be Versus XIII.) :eng101:

E: JFC that's not even the only time today I've done :eng99: instead of :eng101:, though I guess both fit :v:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Yep. It was originally Agito XIII. (And XV was originally going to be Versus XIII.) :eng99:

They were really banking on everyone loving FF13 to death, weren't they?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Slime posted:

They were really banking on everyone loving FF13 to death, weren't they?

Sometimes they put all their horses in one basket.

Like Metroid: Other M. Sakamoto was so certain it would be the best metroid game ever and everyone would love it as much as he did. Boy was he surprised when everyone hated it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Sometimes they put all their horses in one basket.

Like Metroid: Other M. Sakamoto was so certain it would be the best metroid game ever and everyone would love it as much as he did. Boy was he surprised when everyone hated it.
It was his baby.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

From software is pretty much the only good Japanese game developer left.

EDIT: And they definitely hate you, the player.

Nihon Falcom.

edit: Platinum Games.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 12, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nihon Falcom.

edit: Platinum Games.

Platinum Games is staffed by aliens. That's the only explanation for why their games are so good but their sales are so bad. Seriously, the worst Platinum game I ever played was Anarchy Reigns, and it was still loving awesome.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys would sell more if it wasn't called Ys. What popular game is there whose name most people can't pronounce?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ys would sell more if it wasn't called Ys. What popular game is there whose name most people can't pronounce?

To this day people still ask about "Pokeymons."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mario

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

VVVVVV

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anything with Bros. in it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a broad thing here, but puzzle/adventure games that are a shade too obtuse annoy the poo poo out of me. I'm playing the second season of the Sam & Max games, and only about 25% of the time when looking up a solution do I concede that I missed something. The rest of the time, I'm going "Yeah, there's no way I would've figured that out." One time I didn't even realize there was entirely another room/segment.

The funny thing is, I know that earlier adventure games were even worse about that poo poo.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why was it pokeymans though. Why not just Poke-mons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's an accent on the E.