Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
mr sub is better than subway but they're probably going to die a quiet death soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

mr sub is better than subway but they're probably going to die a quiet death soon

:canada:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Condiv posted:

srs, is there really any difference between getting a sandwich from subway and making one from poo poo you bought from your groceries' deli (aside from the grocery sandwiches being way higher quality and cheaper?)

lol if deli means supermarket to u

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

computer parts posted:

on a tangent, i wonder why nerds don't sperg out over food & exercise more. it's literally managing spreadsheets and watching your numbers go up

or i guess some of them do and they're just considered attractive by society

Well, yeah, the quantified self is all about this, but unlike game grinding, where the grind is against boredom and is actually aided by a lack of discipline with your time, fitness grinding requires extra effort with disciplined usage of time.

I lol at the locals who go all quantified self like it'll get them fit, but continue to track their largely sedentary lifestyle.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 11, 2015

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol if deli means supermarket to u

artisinal ham at the artisinal deli

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

all very yummy meats for your sandwich

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MeruFM posted:

artisinal ham at the artisinal deli

many delis in real cities aren't artisnal, they're run by grisled old eastern european men who you suspect may have committed actual war crimes in a previous life. they have the best prices and make a good sausage though, so who are you to judge

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 11, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
re subchat goddamn do i miss the silver mine in Madison

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

infernal machines posted:

have committed actual war crimes ... make a good sausage
checks out.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I'm sorry if you don't have a Which-Wich nearby. alternatively Publix.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

many delis in real cities aren't artisnal, they're run by grisled old eastern european men who you suspect may have committed actual war crimes in a previous life. they have the best prices and make a good sausage though, so who are you to judge

the one near me would occasionally have a selection of english, ukranian and icelandic chick tracts

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

As a Millennial I posted:

i stole these from a buzzfeedesque countdown article that stole them from twitter

how could you post all those and omit the most classic needlessly-gendered product from decades past, the man size tissue

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

subway has the cheapest franchising rights which is why they're everywhere

for ~$50k you can buy a subway franchise, versus mcdonalds which needs a million in liquid assets and a detailed plan on the optimal location to place one, along with loans to buy all of their equipment and stuff

the flip side is that a mcdonalds almost never goes out of business

I've seen a couple of mcd's close around here. one has since been through at least 4 other concepts. I think the current one is korean bbq

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sniep posted:

how could you post all those and omit the most classic needlessly-gendered product from decades past, the man size tissue

they might be optimized for thick ropey loads

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chris Knight posted:

I've seen a couple of mcd's close around here. one has since been through at least 4 other concepts. I think the current one is korean bbq

i only saw something like that once, and what happened was that it moved about two blocks away to a better location

the building then became a donut shop for a while and then closed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

subway has the cheapest franchising rights which is why they're everywhere

for ~$50k you can buy a subway franchise, versus mcdonalds which needs a million in liquid assets and a detailed plan on the optimal location to place one, along with loans to buy all of their equipment and stuff

the flip side is that a mcdonalds almost never goes out of business

subway doesn't give out exclusive territories. there are no protections whatsoever for franchisees

you open up a subway today, and in six months they might sell a franchise to a dude at the other end of the block. both your sales will tank, and both of you will go under

subway corporate gives no shits because they'll sell a third franchise on the same block any day now anyway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I'm sorry if you don't have a Which-Wich nearby. alternatively Publix.

they're okay but the one here has like an entire wall covered in 14 year old kids' anime drawings which is p weird

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

they're okay but the one here has like an entire wall covered in 14 year old kids' anime drawings which is p weird

that's all schools are allowed to teach, now, just like common core math

its super different than when you and i went to school

Intro to Memes is a 6th grade middle school class, even.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I thought I'd post in the grey threads but lol all they wanna do is argue about self driving cars. Like, they are super serious about it.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I thought I'd post in the grey threads but lol all they wanna do is argue about self driving cars. Like, they are super serious about it.
lol why even bother

self-driving cars already exist, and they don't have the obvious huge problems that real self-driving cars would have

theyre called trains

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

like most dnd threads, its derails are solely due to fishmech

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

Intro to Memes is a 6th grade middle school class, i cant even.

Space-Pope posted:

lol why even bother

self-driving cars already exist, and they don't have the obvious huge problems that real self-driving cars would have

theyre called trains

guess what they argued about before this is just the previous thread gone off the rails

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

syscall girl posted:

subway franchises tend to step on each other's toes like starbucks

they've lost a lot of corner boys in the turf wars

at least with Starbucks there's some overall strategy since everything is corporate owned

only in-location stores (the ones in your grocery store, Target, hotels, airports, and so on) are "franchises" and even then Starbucks exerts significant control, more like the "store within a store" concept

also historically when they'd put in a Starbucks across from a Starbucks both of their sales would be higher.

the superblock I work on in the Bay Area—the square made up of only the major thoroughfares, about 1mi on a side—has one on three of its four corners, plus one in the Target on one edge and one in the Safeway on one of the corners with a Starbucks. the one corner without a Starbucks used to have one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

note that "they" in this instance are yosposters fishmech and condiv, lol

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
and this thread has loads of arguments about self-driving cars and public transport

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

what's D&D for if not overly serious and pedantic arguments?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Streaming star Jordan Maron, known to the millions of people who watch him play Minecraft as "CaptainSparklez," has purchased a new Los Angeles home for $4.5 million.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
not mentioned: his parents are rich as gently caress, he didn't necessarily get that money from streaming, that's just a thing he does (though I'm sure streaming to that many kids gets more than a living wage, not sure it'd make enough to buy that thing)

strange how so many popular streamers have already-wealthy parents (pewdiepie, others?), probably it's that they have time to dedicate to refining streaming

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 11, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

they have the capital to invest in both professional equipment and time to lay about and perfect their YouTube reaction face.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

they have the capital to invest in both professional equipment and time to lay about and perfect their YouTube reaction face.

wonder if they’re working on their first against the wall face

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

They also have access to money to pay for editors, (people who edit, add funny poo poo, and post to youtube making sure it's in the right playlist, custom icon etc and also make sure it's cross posted to facebook, twitter, reddit, etc)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got a recruiting email from THE ONLY FULL-STACK PLATFORM FOR FRICTIONLESS MARKET ENTRY AND THE CREATION, DISTRIBUTION AND CONSUMPTION OF GAMBLING ENTERTAINMENT :suicide:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kobayashi posted:

I just got a recruiting email from THE ONLY FULL-STACK PLATFORM FOR FRICTIONLESS MARKET ENTRY AND THE CREATION, DISTRIBUTION AND CONSUMPTION OF GAMBLING ENTERTAINMENT :suicide:

- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Prior experience at a party at my friends' apartment.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Bhodi posted:

not mentioned: his parents are rich as gently caress, he didn't necessarily get that money from streaming, that's just a thing he does (though I'm sure streaming to that many kids gets more than a living wage, not sure it'd make enough to buy that thing)

strange how so many popular streamers have already-wealthy parents (pewdiepie, others?), probably it's that they have time to dedicate to refining streaming

i am aquainted with a guy with 1.4 mil followers on youtube who has bought houses for himself (x2), his sister and his parents all in cash in the last two years (in a pretty expensive property market). he drives an aston martin db7 and an lr4. he used to work at a grocery store so i'm pretty sure youtube is free money

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
starbucks in big cities tends to be slammed tbf, you could open one at all four corners of an intersection and you'd still have a fairly big line at each one come lunchtime

those places must print money

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

starbucks in big cities tends to be slammed tbf, you could open one at all four corners of an intersection and you'd still have a fairly big line at each one come lunchtime

those places must print money

all of the coffee shops on my university's campus are starbucks, plus one immediately off campus

you can imagine how much money they must make

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

the talent deficit posted:

i am aquainted with a guy with 1.4 mil followers on youtube who has bought houses for himself (x2), his sister and his parents all in cash in the last two years (in a pretty expensive property market). he drives an aston martin db7 and an lr4. he used to work at a grocery store so i'm pretty sure youtube is free money

all that for a middling 1.4 million followers? holy poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

They also have access to money to pay for editors, (people who edit, add funny poo poo, and post to youtube making sure it's in the right playlist, custom icon etc and also make sure it's cross posted to facebook, twitter, reddit, etc)

u dont have to provide all this. my buddies girlfriend works for a "new media talent agency" and they reach out to ppl who they think have got THAT CERTAIN SOMETING! THAT MAGIC MUG! THE STAR QUALITY! and produce them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
KID UVE GOT SOMETHIN SPECIAL! I LOOK IN YOUR EYES AND SEE YOUTUBE MILLIONS KID! MILLIONS! VIEWERS CLICKING LIKE ON ALL YOUR VIRAL CONTENT! IMAGINE, YOUR BIG GRINNING MUG RIGHT ON THE TOP TWITCH.TV SMILING DOWN ON ALL THE TINY MEN AND WOMEN BELOW. THINK OF IT KID, YOU COULD BE THE NEXT REBECCA BLACK MEETS PEWDS! YOU COULD HAVE IT ALL! M&MS FROM HERE TO MISSOURA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

is this the tech bubble thread

• Locked thread