Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Considering the content you have in the Witcher games, I'm not sure what there is to be surprised about. Europeans (and eastern Europeans in particular I guess) are a lot less bothered by the whole nudity thing than Americans are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

about loving time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerJ posted:

If they get enough adult games, they should spin them off into a new section or site, Adult Good Old Games, aka AGOG.

It should be "Mature Adiences Good Old Games."

GOG.com and MAGOG.com

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It should be "Mature Adiences Good Old Games."

GOG.com and MAGOG.com

L. Ron Mexico posted:

throw in a "mature" there too and make it Magog imo

Literally on the previous page, my man.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AG3 posted:

Considering the content you have in the Witcher games, I'm not sure what there is to be surprised about. Europeans (and eastern Europeans in particular I guess) are a lot less bothered by the whole nudity thing than Americans are.

But Lula: The Sexy Empire? Is that just a hidden European darling?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

mycot posted:

No, it was regarded as pretty much poo poo on a CD by europeans in general. Maybe it's readers of the comic who clamoured for it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BiggerJ posted:

So they turned down MODE but picked up Lula: The Sexy Empire.
It honestly is a travesty, MODE was ahead of its time and needs more love.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm just biding my time for the Krynn trilogies, both the good one and the bad one (obviously the former first)

Fake Edit: Also those two first-person Ravenloft RPGs. I love the interface in those games and Menzo even though 2nd edition D&D is so much wank.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

mycot posted:

It got poo poo reviews when it came out from what I remember, but I guess there's always someone who likes poo poo, so...

I mean, GoG went and got Master of Orion 3 and frankly I'm not sure which of the two would be considered the biggest travesty to the "Good" part of "Good Old Games". I've only played MoO3 though, so what do I know?

*Edit*

I assume getting it was close to zero effort on GoG's part, and if so then why not get it? If 700 morons buy it that's (almost) free money. I wouldn't rule out that someone at GoG has nostalgia for the game themselves either.

And lets face it, "Good Old Games" is exactly like "Good Old Days" in that pretty much everything in the old days was shittier but people are dumb and will look back fondly on stepping on a landmine so long as enough time has passed.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 10, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Old things and appreciating old things is cool and good and important as well, the dumb ones are the ones who completely refuse to like modern things out of nostalgia and also those who require everything to be new and shiny and want everything old to be thrown away and forgotten.

That said GOG.com hasn't stood for "Good old games" for quite a while now.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 10, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kanfy posted:

Old things and appreciating old things is cool and good and important as well, the dumb ones are the ones who completely refuse to like modern things out of nostalgia and also those who require everything to be new and shiny and want everything old to be thrown away and forgotten.

That said GOG.com hasn't stood for "Good old games" for quite a while now.

AG3 posted:

It got poo poo reviews when it came out from what I remember, but I guess there's always someone who likes poo poo, so...

I mean, GoG went and got Master of Orion 3 and frankly I'm not sure which of the two would be considered the biggest travesty to the "Good" part of "Good Old Games". I've only played MoO3 though, so what do I know?

*Edit*

I assume getting it was close to zero effort on GoG's part, and if so then why not get it? If 700 morons buy it that's (almost) free money. I wouldn't rule out that someone at GoG has nostalgia for the game themselves either.

And lets face it, "Good Old Games" is exactly like "Good Old Days" in that pretty much everything in the old days was shittier but people are dumb and will look back fondly on stepping on a landmine so long as enough time has passed.

I find this a little ridiculous. GOG has brought back some genuinely Good Old Games that were thought lost for time and are genuinely still fun even in 2015 and probably beyond. I have no nostalgia for MoO 1 and 2, but they are univerally loved from what I can tell... does anyone else even sell those? Need I remind anyone of System Shock 2, the latter wizardry games, the Lucas Arts games (granted, some of those were on Steam), all of those D&D-based games such as Baldur's Freaking Gate, Torment, the more recent Gold Box... I could easily go on. Does GOG have a lot of shite? You bet, but Steam has enough stinky-poo shovelware to choke a pod of blue whales with particularly large throats. Like anything else, you take the good with the bad, but acting as if their entire catalog is void of merit is utter nonsense. Do I believe that they sometimes act out of a sentiment of "nostalgia = sales?" Of course, but I and many others are indebted to them for making it easy to play genuine classics that we may never have seen again.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I wrote that half jokingly; I think that GoG has a ton of awesome stuff that I'm thrilled they brought back, but the point is that the "Good" in Good Old Games isn't limited to just the actually good games. Like "Good Old Days", it's about nostalgia which means some good stuff and a lot of not very good stuff.

Hell, now that they have movies there as well the site's name might as well just be "Old" since it's neither purely about good or about games anymore :v:

Which I guess is why they decided to ditch the name "Good Old Games" and just go with the acronym that has become an established trademark of sorts.

*Edit*

Wait, some of the stuff on the site isn't even old! Darn, now what?

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 10, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

JustJeff88 posted:

I find this a little ridiculous. GOG has brought back some genuinely Good Old Games that were thought lost for time and are genuinely still fun even in 2015 and probably beyond. I have no nostalgia for MoO 1 and 2, but they are univerally loved from what I can tell... does anyone else even sell those? Need I remind anyone of System Shock 2, the latter wizardry games, the Lucas Arts games (granted, some of those were on Steam), all of those D&D-based games such as Baldur's Freaking Gate, Torment, the more recent Gold Box... I could easily go on. Does GOG have a lot of shite? You bet, but Steam has enough stinky-poo shovelware to choke a pod of blue whales with particularly large throats. Like anything else, you take the good with the bad, but acting as if their entire catalog is void of merit is utter nonsense. Do I believe that they sometimes act out of a sentiment of "nostalgia = sales?" Of course, but I and many others are indebted to them for making it easy to play genuine classics that we may never have seen again.

Not sure what you're quoting me for, I literally just said that old things are cool. Games as a medium have improved over time but we're not talking computers or airplanes here, older stuff doesn't automatically get obsoleted by newer stuff.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If I've haven't played it, it's new to me. I thank Gog.com for bring back the classics, and supporting the indie market.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Accordion Man posted:

It honestly is a travesty, MODE was ahead of its time and needs more love.

MODE has 673 votes on Wishlist - help show GOG that they are stupid.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AG3 posted:

I wrote that half jokingly; I think that GoG has a ton of awesome stuff that I'm thrilled they brought back, but the point is that the "Good" in Good Old Games isn't limited to just the actually good games. Like "Good Old Days", it's about nostalgia which means some good stuff and a lot of not very good stuff.

Hell, now that they have movies there as well the site's name might as well just be "Old" since it's neither purely about good or about games anymore :v:

Which I guess is why they decided to ditch the name "Good Old Games" and just go with the acronym that has become an established trademark of sorts.

*Edit*

Wait, some of the stuff on the site isn't even old! Darn, now what?

Most of the movies are new and terrible too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so does this mean we aren't getting any more Lucasarts games?

Are we never going to get a re-release of Full Throttle :smith:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Aces High posted:

so does this mean we aren't getting any more Lucasarts games?

Are we never going to get a re-release of Full Throttle :smith:

Their big retro priorities are Cartmanlands - games famous for being unobtainable. System Shock 1, SSI's D&D games, Starship Titanic, DRM-free Zeniman/iD/Bethesda games. Guaranteed profit, just because they're there.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

BiggerJ posted:

Their big retro priorities are Cartmanlands - games famous for being unobtainable. System Shock 1, SSI's D&D games, Starship Titanic, DRM-free Zeniman/iD/Bethesda games. Guaranteed profit, just because they're there.

I wonder why they don't make their search better for the D&D games. If I stumbled upon GOG.com today and checked if my favourite childhood game Eye of the Beholder or Pool of Radiance or whatever is on there the search says no. They went to all this trouble and then hide it away.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I just downloaded and am trying out GOG Galaxy. Is it just me or does it seem to use a lot of CPU and ram?

Also - Righteous Fire... there was some talk a while back that this was not included with Privateer. This still the case?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

BadAstronaut posted:

I just downloaded and am trying out GOG Galaxy. Is it just me or does it seem to use a lot of CPU and ram?

Also - Righteous Fire... there was some talk a while back that this was not included with Privateer. This still the case?

No, GOG did add Righteous Fire to the game some time ago.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OptimusShr posted:

OK cool, good to know.

Any of you finished Privateer? I am stuck on this mission. Have been for a long time and want to complete this game now and move on to RF...

It's pretty late in the game. This mission has tons of enemies, asteroids, and is tough. Willing to cheat to complete this mission if need be.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Having a really good time with Night Hawk: F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0. I think I played the demo that came out with Amiga Power back in 1993, so only 22 years between trying and buying.

Always loved those 80s-90s MicroProse sims with their sense of constant progression and awards.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guessing there is absolutely no way to cheat in GOG's version of Privateer to get past this loving mission? Navigate asteroids and all kinds of poo poo, fight a ton of elite Kilrathi, dodging asteroids, then make it home? Tried more than 20 times. Get close, can't do it. Annoyed.

Oh joy. Tried this and it worked:
http://www.gog.com/forum/wing_commander_series/privateer_complet_missionseven_cheated_ones_and_get_all_the_cash_you_want

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Keeper Garrett posted:

Having a really good time with Night Hawk: F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0. I think I played the demo that came out with Amiga Power back in 1993, so only 22 years between trying and buying.

Always loved those 80s-90s MicroProse sims with their sense of constant progression and awards.

In my world the National Security Council is made up entirely of battle-scarred Gunship 2000 pilots with a 2:1 purple heart to campaign medal ratio.

They are, surprisingly, more dove than hawk as they spent the majority of their careers limping home in shot-up blackhawks behind the remnants of commanche wings.

Edit: What would be the most recent not-quite-DCS-level-simulation gunship game? Anything more recent than Jane's Longbow 2?

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 13, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Well I finally finished Privateer. But after it ends how does one find the Righteous Fire content, or does it just start at some point if I keep on playing?

EDIT: OK actually you need to load up Righteous Fire from under GOG in the start menu, and load your previous save game after the intro movie.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 13, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Edit: What would be the most recent not-quite-DCS-level-simulation gunship game? Anything more recent than Jane's Longbow 2?

Probably this:
http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Enemy Engaged (both CvH and AvH)could use the fan patch.
http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Without it your cannons' rate of fire will be set to your framerate, for example. The patch also comes with an awesome Hind cockpit and makes a number of advanced targeting tricks easier to pull off.

Don't touch the so-called Enemy Engaged 2, even if you find it somewhere.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SelenicMartian posted:

Enemy Engaged (both CvH and AvH)could use the fan patch.
http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Without it your cannons' rate of fire will be set to your framerate, for example. The patch also comes with an awesome Hind cockpit and makes a number of advanced targeting tricks easier to pull off.

Don't touch the so-called Enemy Engaged 2, even if you find it somewhere.

Ever since playing this I've wanted one of those little fans they have in the Hind with a desk mount.

Closest I've found is this: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vornado+zippi&t=ffsb&iax=1&ia=images

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Neat! Will check them out.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

I don't blame him for missing the news; the DLC's releas only took eighteen loving months. Oh, EA!

I feel strongly about this because I experienced exactly the same thing to the month with the eighteen-months-later resolution to the Duke Nukem rights lawsuit (Gearbox won, if like me you thought the lawsuit would outlive you).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Finishing Privateer was cool. How long is the Righteous Fire expansion? Sort of feel I need to complete this so I can draw a line under Privateer and bank that part of my childhood as done and nostalgia-complete.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

1 800 J JAMES posted:

In my world the National Security Council is made up entirely of battle-scarred Gunship 2000 pilots with a 2:1 purple heart to campaign medal ratio.

They are, surprisingly, more dove than hawk as they spent the majority of their careers limping home in shot-up blackhawks behind the remnants of commanche wings.

It seems to be a common problem. It's good that there are some more modern alternatives, but I really do want that ORIGINAL Gunship campaign feel. I loved ribbons, medals and promotions.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Keeper Garrett posted:

I loved ribbons, medals and promotions.

I have great news, let me tell you about this series called call of duty,

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm just a bit into Shadowrun Returns, and I must say, that is how you make a game. Nothing super flashy or anything. Simple, and true enough to the source. Hell it works on my 6 year old bottom rung laptop like it was nothing. Looking forward to more of this studios work :)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm just a bit into Shadowrun Returns, and I must say, that is how you make a game. Nothing super flashy or anything. Simple, and true enough to the source. Hell it works on my 6 year old bottom rung laptop like it was nothing. Looking forward to more of this studios work :)
You're gonna love Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Dragonfall is dope as hell

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch is a such a fun, slightly linear, but well-written detective noir cyberpunk game. Dragonfall adds a lot of RPG goodness to its formula, and I've only just started Hong Kong which so far is great.
By the way, the same guys are now kickstarting a Battletech game, and we should all be on that one...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 15, 2015

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Finishing Privateer was cool. How long is the Righteous Fire expansion? Sort of feel I need to complete this so I can draw a line under Privateer and bank that part of my childhood as done and nostalgia-complete.

Depends, really. If you're a good enough pilot you can can finish it with your end level ship from privateer easy enough in a couple of days. If you want all the new upgrades you'll be spending quite a while getting enough money for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Those new upgrades are interesting but I don't know how hosed I can be to grind out all the missions for them. Kind of just want to complete the story more than get more core gameplay done.