Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

They have an interesting culture in the Philippines about work life. At a company I used to work for, we had outsourced our AP processing there. They would fairly often leave quite a bit of work for our US leads to fix or just process things that should have been done over there.

We sent a guy over to see what was up. It was typical for them to just decide to leave work for the day, or screw off for a few hours to go play basketball. A fairly admirable bohemian work ethic if you ask me.

At least the sex tourism is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Frost 6P is waitlist only now :(

I feel like I could live with the aluminium but only the 32GB is available and that just seems too small to me. Curse my indecisiveness.

Anyone have any experience with waitlists from the Google store? The only thing I've bought from them was my Galaxy Nexus long after it released. Am I looking at "can't place order until it's out" territory or...?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Humerus posted:

The Frost 6P is waitlist only now :(

Anyone have any experience with waitlists from the Google store?

Edit: missed the actual question. There have not been Nexus waitlists in the past, only sporadic re-stocking which instantly disappeared. Hopefully they implement a waitlist, but current messages don't suggest that will be a thing.

It's anyone's guess until they start shipping, but if previous Nexus/Google Store history proves to be accurate, you are going to be very pissed off for a long time.

This launch was smooth as butter (almost suspiciously so) compared to the fiascos of the past (the Nexus 4/5 and even 6 were a circus). OOS forever, people had stock notification scripts running, instant OOS after restocking, etc. Total shitshow.

Huawei isn't some newcomer to making stuff, so hopefully they will be able to pump out stock to meet demand. Time will tell, especially if reviews are as glowing as they appear they will be. Best to order direct from Huawei and pray.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I got a G4 instead. I am happy. Now I shall order a Qi case for it so that I will be extra happy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

If anyone is considering purchasing an HTC device then you might want to reconsider. I will be getting kicked out of my office in late November as North American support is being outsourced to Columbia and The Phillipines (they are both really bad). By the way, I work with HTC in a call center location.

Also, if you ever need a device sent in for a repair or replacement chances are you'll get a broken device back. I've spoken with way too many customers claiming to have more issues or damage upon receipt of their device from the US repair center. The image below is just one of the many pictures I have received. HTC is sinking so fast. RIP.

I remember sending my One M7 back to HTC to have the camera sensor module replaced. The phone was like a year old at that point, and I was meticulous with it; it was mint. I got it back (same unit) with the glass bent by the volume rocker where they pried it open, a 1-inch gash in the side bumper for no reason, and about a dozen swirl scratches in the screen. I filed a report and sent pictures and was told there was nothing that can be done if the device is damaged "while in transit."
Oh! And the camera sensor went from being a purple-tinged overheating piece of poo poo to a shot-through-a-lemon-lime-Gatorade-filter piece of poo poo.

I really liked the phone, but I'm not buying another HTC product after that.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

enojy posted:

My first Android phone was a Thunderbolt, so I've never had the problem of liking an HTC phone to begin with.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

enojy posted:

I remember sending my One M7 back to HTC to have the camera sensor module replaced. The phone was like a year old at that point, and I was meticulous with it; it was mint. I got it back (same unit) with the glass bent by the volume rocker where they pried it open, a 1-inch gash in the side bumper for no reason, and about a dozen swirl scratches in the screen. I filed a report and sent pictures and was told there was nothing that can be done if the device is damaged "while in transit."
Oh! And the camera sensor went from being a purple-tinged overheating piece of poo poo to a shot-through-a-lemon-lime-Gatorade-filter piece of poo poo.

Wow that is tragically bad. Does HTC not know how to do maintenance on their own phones?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrBond posted:

Wow that is tragically bad. Does HTC not know how to do maintenance on their own phones?

They're not designed to be opened up at all - go have a look at an M8 teardown

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wax Dynasty posted:

My first Android phone was a Thunderbolt, so I've never had the problem of liking an HTC phone to begin with.

My only HTC was the Passion aka Nexus One. Suffice to say I still have warm feelings toward the company.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MrBond posted:

The repair center technicians will literally send out a phone to a customer with clearly visible damage that wasn't there before repair, or they just grab some phone from a shelf that matches the part number of the phone and send it out. It's seriously bad.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Given the choices available now, I think my best option to upgrade from my Nexus 5 is to hope for a Qi case for the 6P or 5X.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

anakha posted:

Given the choices available now, I think my best option to upgrade from my Nexus 5 is to hope for a Qi case for the 6P or 5X.

I upgraded my 5 to a 6 recently, I think it was a good (and cheap) choice.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

anakha posted:

I hope this too. I would settle for magnetic port adapters though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Super Dude posted:

The PS4 is priced reasonably and is arguably the best game console out.

Sony's gaming arm is the exception to the rule. It's the only department not hemorrhaging money last I looked.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wax Dynasty posted:

LastInLine posted:

My only HTC was the Passion aka Nexus One. Suffice to say I still have warm feelings toward the company.

I started with the Nexus One and traded up to a Thunderbolt because I thought the N1 was a wonderfully put together device and how could HTC go wrong.

The Thunderbolt somehow managed to enumerate exactly every way HTC could go wrong.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I used to get Nokia phones all the time until they got ruined by Microsoft. Then my first android phone was an HTC G2 and I quickly fell in love with how HTC does things. Then I had the awesome One M7 for the longest time until the battery died, forcing me to upgrade to an M8. Why must everything I love die a horrible death? :( My M8 should last me a couple more years, so I'm not looking for a new phone yet, but what other android phone manufacturer is similar to HTC? i.e. Aluminium construction, cleanly styled and relatively unbloated rom, good speakers and screen, etc.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jehde posted:

I used to get Nokia phones all the time until they got ruined by Microsoft. Then my first android phone was an HTC G2 and I quickly fell in love with how HTC does things. Then I had the awesome One M7 for the longest time until the battery died, forcing me to upgrade to an M8. Why must everything I love die a horrible death? :( My M8 should last me a couple more years, so I'm not looking for a new phone yet, but what other android phone manufacturer is similar to HTC? i.e. Aluminium construction, cleanly styled and relatively unbloated rom, good speakers and screen, etc.

iPhone

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jehde posted:

Aluminium construction, cleanly styled and relatively unbloated rom, good speakers and screen, etc.
Nexus 6P, reviews pending.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

kitten smoothie posted:

I started with the Nexus One and traded up to a Thunderbolt because I thought the N1 was a wonderfully put together device and how could HTC go wrong.

The Thunderbolt somehow managed to enumerate exactly every way HTC could go wrong.

My HTC train went Nexus One, Sensation, One X so I've done quite well.

I even had an old Typhoon as a spare for a while.

It's a shame to see how they've fallen away.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Any small phones worth looking at? Currently using a Fire; solid phone, but too big. Was planning on replacing it with a Z5 compact, but the price is steep at ~$600. Anything else worth looking at that's out or will be out soon? It needs to comfortably fit in a jeans pocket.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 11, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Z5 Compact is tiny compared to your current phone which is large for its screen size). Even something like a Galaxy S6 is only marginally larger (most significantly 4mm wider)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dominoes posted:

Any small phones worth looking at? Currently using a Fire; solid phone, but too big. Was planning on replacing it with a Z5 compact, but it looks like that's $600; ie a big price tag just to get a smaller phone. Anything else worth looking at that's out or will be out soon? It needs to comfortably fit in a jeans pocket.

Not really. This question comes up almost every page, but the 2015 Moto G is basically the smallest phone (5 inch screen) that's recommended here at the moment and it has budget phone specs. The fact that nobody is trying to capitalize on that fact makes me think that there's not much of a price break to manufacturers in going from a larger phone to a smaller one. There may perhaps even be a cost impact if larger phones make it easier to do things like cool SOC's.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in the Best Buy yesterday. My whole 2013 Moto X fits inside the screen of the Moto X Pure. But honestly I could hold and use the Pure just fine with one hand. Actually it was better than the new Moto G, which is a lot thicker, despite being smaller.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have a nitpick about my Note 5. I like it a lot, but the touch screen is too sensitive. It's not a huge deal, but I don't like how it registers touches when my fingers haven't actually touched the screen and is still slightly hovering over it. I did some quick googling and the only complaint I can find is people saying it's not sensitive enough. There was an "increase sensitivity" toggle on the S5 I think but I checked in the same spot and didn't see any option.

Anybody know of any way of adjusting it? It's not really a huge problem or anything, mostly just mildly annoying.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I remember feeling the same way about my Note 3. I would assume it has to do with the stylus and them showing where it's hovering over the screen. I doubt there's a way to change it.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've just noticed that the Google search widget which used to be on the recent apps list is gone now in marshmallow. Can anyone confirm that that is by design and not a bug? I am running nova launcher.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I've just noticed that the Google search widget which used to be on the recent apps list is gone now in marshmallow. Can anyone confirm that that is by design and not a bug? I am running nova launcher.

I'm not seeing a search widget anymore, if that's what you mean. There's a Google app, but that opens Google Now. The standard launcher still has the widget built-in at the top

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My HTC One M8 is being funky. Takes 3+ tries to wake it up sometimes, weird graphic artifacts, sluggish, heavy battery use. I don't have a recent dropping incident to attribute it to.

I want to format it and start over.

Anything I should back up/make note of before I do?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FogHelmut posted:

I was in the Best Buy yesterday. My whole 2013 Moto X fits inside the screen of the Moto X Pure. But honestly I could hold and use the Pure just fine with one hand. Actually it was better than the new Moto G, which is a lot thicker, despite being smaller.

I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Pure. Getting to the top left corner with my thumb while holding it one handed is an issue (I do not have small hands either) but not a deal breaking one, just slightly awkward. I'm a huge fan of having enough battery life to use my phone at least a day with out charging it and the screen is nice. In my opinion it's worth the upgrade.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Has anyone gotten the OTA on their Nexus? I have both a Nexus 5 (unlocked) and Nexus 7 (WiFi) and haven't gotten the notification on either. I know I could just flash it or whatever, but my concern is Google does these staged rollouts for a reason, so maybe the current build of 6.0 has issues?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Yes, last week. MRA58K.

spoof posted:

Just got the Marshmallow OTA notification on my N5 on Rogers so looks like the OTAs are going out.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Has anyone gotten the OTA on their Nexus? I have both a Nexus 5 (unlocked) and Nexus 7 (WiFi) and haven't gotten the notification on either. I know I could just flash it or whatever, but my concern is Google does these staged rollouts for a reason, so maybe the current build of 6.0 has issues?

I got it on my Nexus 9, this past Wednesday. I am still waiting for it on my Nexus 5. I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe the older devices are getting it after the newer devices?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FogHelmut posted:

They have an interesting culture in the Philippines about work life. At a company I used to work for, we had outsourced our AP processing there. They would fairly often leave quite a bit of work for our US leads to fix or just process things that should have been done over there.

We sent a guy over to see what was up. It was typical for them to just decide to leave work for the day, or screw off for a few hours to go play basketball. A fairly admirable bohemian work ethic if you ask me.
The son of the company owner that employs me had a decade ago the bright idea to build a plant in the Philippines and relocate glassfiber cable production and a few other things there. Besides the climate introducing tons of issues, the exact same work ethic drove things into ground and nearly took the main plant down with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Merkinman posted:

I updated my N5 on release day. My N7 2013 has gotten an ota yet.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Is there a way to block certain websites from the "Stories to Read" section of Google Now? I keep marking Breitbart as not interesting but it persistently reappears...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've gotten multiple updates on my Nexus 6. I'm a Fi customer, so I think we get them early and often, but marshmallow hasn't dropped yet, I think it's just been security-related updates.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Pure. Getting to the top left corner with my thumb while holding it one handed is an issue (I do not have small hands either) but not a deal breaking one, just slightly awkward. I'm a huge fan of having enough battery life to use my phone at least a day with out charging it and the screen is nice. In my opinion it's worth the upgrade.

Yeah I'm still on the fence between the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5x. I need the reviews.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I'm still on the fence between the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5x. I need the reviews.

Sounds more like you need to wait till they're out and then find some somewhere to try out.

Not sure how possible that is in the US with these models, but maybe someone you know has one or the other.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

ghableska posted:

Is there a way to block certain websites from the "Stories to Read" section of Google Now? I keep marking Breitbart as not interesting but it persistently reappears...

I _think_ I may have figured this one out. Go to news.google.com and adjust your settings there. I have been getting stories from the New York Times persistently despite marking each of them as not interesting. Could be worse. Could be Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FogHelmut posted:

I was in the Best Buy yesterday.
             \/

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I _think_ I may have figured this one out. Go to news.google.com and adjust your settings there. I have been getting stories from the New York Times persistently despite marking each of them as not interesting. Could be worse. Could be Fox News.

Or Christian Post, Jesus Christ. I'd read a day's worth of Fox News articles before suffering through one more Christian Post clickbait "tech" article.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 12, 2015