Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Reminder JPL open house today and tomorrow. If you live in SoCal you have no excuse for not going. If you don't, then consider how cheap airfare is, or how many miles you have sitting there doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I rented this on Amazon a while ago for like $1.99 and it was worth it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Aquila posted:

Reminder JPL open house today and tomorrow. If you live in SoCal you have no excuse for not going. If you don't, then consider how cheap airfare is, or how many miles you have sitting there doing nothing.

That's the kind of thing I would honestly build a holiday around.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

MrYenko posted:

The operators most at risk to a UAV collision are also the ones least likely to have an electrical system/transponder.
And? The FAA says I need a pilots' license to fly what is essentially a toy. I think it would be just as reasonable for the FAA to mandate these types of aircraft are required to carry appropriate UAS sensing equipment. The airspace of the future is going to be more complicated, so it's perfectly normal for the aircraft to change with it.

You know, these drone things are here to stay and they're going to boom. The drone operators are getting ready to handle it on our end, the pilots need to get ready on their end. The USA has dominated manned aviation for the past 100 years but unfortunately attitudes like this and those that have permeated the aviation community will ensure we do not dominate unmanned aviation for the next 100.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Idk all the drone operators I've heard from are a bunch of entitled children who think everyone needs to change what they're doing to accommodate them

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vitamin J posted:

And? The FAA says I need a pilots' license to fly what is essentially a toy. I think it would be just as reasonable for the FAA to mandate these types of aircraft are required to carry appropriate UAS sensing equipment. The airspace of the future is going to be more complicated, so it's perfectly normal for the aircraft to change with it.

You know, these drone things are here to stay and they're going to boom. The drone operators are getting ready to handle it on our end, the pilots need to get ready on their end. The USA has dominated manned aviation for the past 100 years but unfortunately attitudes like this and those that have permeated the aviation community will ensure we do not dominate unmanned aviation for the next 100.

I agree with you, but there is a not-insignificant portion of GA that disagrees, and will fight tooth and nail (see also: the clusterfuck that is ADS-B in the US) to prevent any new mandatory equipment. I can certainly see their point, but the future of aviation isn't a 1940s tube and rag Piper Cub with no radios, despite how much fun they can be.

I also honestly think that whatever the FAA ends up doing, the majority of the separation responsibility is going to fall on the drone operator. Equipment to detect and avoid small drones is simply going to be too complex and expensive to realistically be mandated, while ADS-B enabled manned-aircraft avoidance will probably be quite a bit simpler, and cheaper.

(It's still going to be hilariously expensive, if it's required to be certified. Also it still doesn't protect the white-hair in his 1948 Champ.)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The Colorado drone experiment is almost a direct copy of what my PhD advisor did about 6 months ago. Such a small world.

He's hoping to publish his results in the next few months I believe. I think he's already submitted his first round of information.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

MrYenko posted:

I agree with you, but there is a not-insignificant portion of GA that disagrees, and will fight tooth and nail (see also: the clusterfuck that is ADS-B in the US) to prevent any new mandatory equipment. I can certainly see their point, but the future of aviation isn't a 1940s tube and rag Piper Cub with no radios, despite how much fun they can be.

I also honestly think that whatever the FAA ends up doing, the majority of the separation responsibility is going to fall on the drone operator. Equipment to detect and avoid small drones is simply going to be too complex and expensive to realistically be mandated, while ADS-B enabled manned-aircraft avoidance will probably be quite a bit simpler, and cheaper.

(It's still going to be hilariously expensive, if it's required to be certified. Also it still doesn't protect the white-hair in his 1948 Champ.)

Reminder that manned aircraft operators take their life into their own hands every time they take off, whereas you're playing with a toy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rscott posted:

Idk all the drone operators I've heard from are a bunch of entitled children who think everyone needs to change what they're doing to accommodate them

Your great-grandfather must've owned stock in carriage manufacturing 120 years ago.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Prop Wash posted:

Reminder that manned aircraft operators take their life into their own hands every time they take off, whereas you're playing with a toy

Surely you aren't talking to Yenko.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vitamin J posted:

UAS sensing equipment? So radar or lidar? Such a system would cost more than a new single engine aircraft.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Prop Wash posted:

:911:

God bless them

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Godholio posted:

Your great-grandfather must've owned stock in carriage manufacturing 120 years ago.

well if you mean cars were the size of RCs and their operators wanted to drive them on the road with normal traffic and poo poo ok but that seems like a pretty dumb analogy on your part

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just require drones to be so fragile that if they hit a plane it's basically like a small bird strike.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Plinkey posted:

Just require drones to be so fragile that if they hit a plane it's basically like a small bird strike.
I'm pretty sure this guy would still not be down with that

I mean, if he were still alive and whatnot

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

MrYenko posted:

Amazon is talking about building an ADS-B transceiver that's supposed to cost about $50 and fit on a drone. I think you're right, though, at least for the next decade or so that separation will have to be the responsibility of the drone operator, which means no beyond line of sight operations.

Prop Wash posted:

Which is why it's really really dumb of them to not get on board and participate in this discussion. Hey, maybe they don't need to take their lives into their own hands and the job can be replaced by a UAV? I'm going to keep playing with my toy, as long as it makes me a living. In fact, my toy will be taking some profits away from these pilots in ever increasing sums.

hobbesmaster posted:

UAS sensing equipment? So radar or lidar? Such a system would cost more than a new single engine aircraft.
Or like ADS-B or a simple cellphone app where pilots can place a pin on a map to coordinate with other pilots in the area. Ironically, the cropduster pilots that were part of the UAV test said they wouldn't participate in such an app, as it would let their competitors know who's fields they spray. That's pretty stupid IMO but hey, if they don't want to participate you can't blame the drone operator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can't rely on that kind of optional system for safety. If it's required then you've basically put the entire country into a limited form of class c.

I'm skeptical that transponders will stay active on drones if there's no certification and licensing program for them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The thing that drone operators seem to neglect is that in aviation, there are already well-defined criteria to determine who has the right of way when confronted with another aircraft, and who doesn't. Basically, it comes down to who has the most ability to maneuver. Helicopters must give way to fixed-wing aircraft, fixed wing aircraft to airships, airships to gliders and gliders to balloons, which essentially have no ability to maneuver whatsoever.

Since drones have far more maneuverability than any of these categories of aircraft, it is plain to me at least who should be giving way to whom.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 11, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Vitamin J posted:

Strobes are good but ultimately won't increase the visibility of a sUAS enough to make much of a difference I don't think (when you see a plane in the distance you don't see the strobe first).

Actually strobes are highly effective

quote:

No kidding. To me this test starts to casts a whole lotta doubt on those commercial airline pilots who claim to have spotted quadcopters at 20,000ft and 400mph closing speed, yeah right.

Source

quote:

Secondly, a drone is considered an Aircraft by the FAA. This means that my 2lbs quadcopter has the same rights as any other aircraft. I didn't make up the rules but if I'm forced to follow them then that means that someone flying an ultra-light has to yield the right-of-way to my quadcopter.

Source??????? Why in the flying gently caress would my ultra light have to detour to YOUR quadcopter? Right of way rules have to deal with the slowest and elastic maneuverable airship, generally.

quote:

Well the purpose of this test was to create safe operating procedures for agricultural aircraft and UAS to operate in the same location at the same time. You see, crop dusters have to spray corn fields 10-15ft off the deck. At the same time I have to fly a quadcopter over that same corn field 5-10 times a season to provide the farmer with the information they want. This poses a problem if the cropduster's and my schedules line up... The corn is not moving.

Yeah you're a complete clown.

Must be really hard to not be over the same patch of corn that the crop duster is flying over. Seeing how it's so hard know their schedule and whether that loud gas burning yellow airplane is anywhere in the vicinity.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 11, 2015

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The dronekids are just moving fast and breaking things. You greybeards need to accept the new order and realize drones will have replaced all human aviators in 18 months, tops. True innovators like Vitamin J realize you have to break some eggs to make an omlette, the eggs being meat-ferrying aircraft and the omlette being the sweet utopia where the technocrats can subsist in a VR-goggled vegetative bliss, an efficient swarm of robots caring for their nutritional, hygenic, social, and sexual needs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Captain Apollo posted:

Actually strobes are highly effective

Source

Source??????? Why in the flying gently caress would my ultra light have to detour to YOUR quadcopter? Right of way rules have to deal with the slowest and elastic maneuverable airship, generally.

Yeah you're a complete clown.

Must be really hard to not be over the same patch of corn that the crop duster is flying over. Seeing how it's so hard know their schedule and whether that loud gas burning yellow airplane is anywhere in the vicinity.

I guess it's easy to tell who's- no gently caress it im not doing this

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Vitamin J posted:

Amazon is talking about building an ADS-B transceiver that's supposed to cost about $50 and fit on a drone. I think you're right, though, at least for the next decade or so that separation will have to be the responsibility of the drone operator, which means no beyond line of sight operations.
Which is why it's really really dumb of them to not get on board and participate in this discussion. Hey, maybe they don't need to take their lives into their own hands and the job can be replaced by a UAV? I'm going to keep playing with my toy, as long as it makes me a living. In fact, my toy will be taking some profits away from these pilots in ever increasing sums.
Or like ADS-B or a simple cellphone app where pilots can place a pin on a map to coordinate with other pilots in the area. Ironically, the cropduster pilots that were part of the UAV test said they wouldn't participate in such an app, as it would let their competitors know who's fields they spray. That's pretty stupid IMO but hey, if they don't want to participate you can't blame the drone operator.

Hello, my name is Vitamin J and I want to talk and act like a pilot, I want my quad to be treated like an aircraft but I want literally none of the massive amount training, responsibility or expense that comes with operating an aircraft in restricted air space.

Serious question, how do you plan to use ADS-B to yield right of way to an aircraft if you're operating a drone with goggles on?

Edit: I think drones are rad and have a good future in a lot of areas.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 11, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Infinotize posted:

The dronekids are just moving fast and breaking things. You greybeards need to accept the new order and realize drones will have replaced all human aviators in 18 months, tops. True innovators like Vitamin J realize you have to break some eggs to make an omlette, the eggs being meat-ferrying aircraft and the omlette being the sweet utopia where the technocrats can subsist in a VR-goggled vegetative bliss, an efficient swarm of robots caring for their nutritional, hygenic, social, and sexual needs.

Well I don't know about all y'all, but I'm loving sold

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I for one am ready for our new quadcopter overlords.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
GA pilots have been crashing into each other and commercial traffic for decades, we should be glad that drones are what will finally bring about requirements for technology to ensure separation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oops

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...x-1227565258375

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is not the first time the front gear has collapsed during a mx check on those things right? I feel like I remember something about it being easy to forget to pin something during the test, leading to that.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

dev null posted:

Serious question, how do you plan to use ADS-B to yield right of way to an aircraft if you're operating a drone with goggles on?

Self destruct charges, like rockets.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

This is not the first time the front gear has collapsed during a mx check on those things right? I feel like I remember something about it being easy to forget to pin something during the test, leading to that.

Yup. It's happened more than a few times in 767s too.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

How much does that damage the plane fuselage? Do you need to do much repairs to anything but the gear itself?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

IXIX posted:

How much does that damage the plane fuselage? Do you need to do much repairs to anything but the gear itself?

It will be laid up for a few weeks for sheet metal repairs, but it is repairable. The gear itself is probably fine, but they might have to remove it to repair the structure.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
75 mph cross wind landing in a 777. Pilots, is this poo poo legit scary? Or do you live for this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 11, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Preoptopus posted:

75 mph cross wind landing in a 777. Pilots, is this poo poo legit scary? Or do you live for this?

I'm pretty sure a 65 knot crosswind is out of limits.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Alereon posted:

GA pilots have been crashing into each other and commercial traffic for decades, we should be glad that drones are what will finally bring about requirements for technology to ensure separation.

As far as I'm concerned people drilling holes in the air in their bugsmashers can go pound sand, or otherwise fly above whatever altitude limit the FAA imposes on the drones. The only concern I have is for helicopters doing medical evacuations and such.

I remember reading the proposed limit is only something like 500 feet AGL. I suppose it's still a problem if someone's drone drifts over an airport though.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Mortabis posted:

As far as I'm concerned people drilling holes in the air in their bugsmashers can go pound sand, or otherwise fly above whatever altitude limit the FAA imposes on the drones.

:allears:

Do you know anything about general aviation? We are required by our regulations to be 500ft over person, vehicle, or structure pretty much forever. The only exception is on takeoff or landing. Congested areas we basically double that altitude requirement.

edit: And secondly. What is so appalling about people flying their airplanes? I don't understand the condescending remarks. Outside of people losing money to aeriel photography businesses due to cheaper drones, the pilots I have met don't have any ambivalence towards drones until they ALMOST KILL US.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mortabis posted:

As far as I'm concerned people drilling holes in the air in their bugsmashers can go pound sand, or otherwise fly above whatever altitude limit the FAA imposes on the drones. The only concern I have is for helicopters doing medical evacuations and such.

I remember reading the proposed limit is only something like 500 feet AGL. I suppose it's still a problem if someone's drone drifts over an airport though.

lol Mortabis still the dumbest motherfucker on the forums, news at 11.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Preoptopus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs

That looked a little sporty.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Captain Apollo posted:

:allears:

Do you know anything about general aviation? We are required by our regulations to be 500ft over person, vehicle, or structure pretty much forever. The only exception is on takeoff or landing. Congested areas we basically double that altitude requirement.

edit: And secondly. What is so appalling about people flying their airplanes? I don't understand the condescending remarks. Outside of people losing money to aeriel photography businesses due to cheaper drones, the pilots I have met don't have any ambivalence towards drones until they ALMOST KILL US.

There's nothing apalling about it, but the fact that some ultralights and very old GA aircraft don't have electrical systems isn't a good reason to regulate the quadcopter people out of existence. Not that I have a problem with requiring things like strobes, radar reflectors, what have you on the quadcopters.

brains
May 12, 2004

Mortabis posted:

as someone who's flown helicopters for the last 7 years and flies almost exclusively 0-1000 AGL, i can tell you that we have a hard enough time avoiding military controlled small UAS (some of which are as big as a compact car), let alone commercial drones.

they don't talk to anyone, they don't observe any type of airspace restriction, and most significantly, they have absolutely gently caress all for situational awareness. don't act like the entire world needs to change to accommodate your glorified electric RC plane hobby. there's a middle ground but it sure as gently caress isn't a 500ft AGL manned aircraft restriction with no changes to drone operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mortabis posted:

I suppose it's still a problem if someone's drone drifts over an airport though.

Or if they drift within 5-8 miles in any given direction of an airport having instrument approaches that go down to ~500ft that far out.

Lotta folks don't understand, it's not just the area immediately over the airport that may be occupied by legal, necessary, low level flight operations.