Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have a friend that keeps trying to convince me to download this and try it. He says it's a lot of fun and that some group of people he plays with online is playing it and they don't just download MMOs "willy nilly" (his words). I told him I'm currently trying out Elder Scrolls Online and I have a hard time believing that Wildstar is better than ESO. Is my friend possessed by the devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have a friend that keeps trying to convince me to download this and try it. He says it's a lot of fun and that some group of people he plays with online is playing it and they don't just download MMOs "willy nilly" (his words). I told him I'm currently trying out Elder Scrolls Online and I have a hard time believing that Wildstar is better than ESO. Is my friend possessed by the devil?

Not just any devil, a 1930's Disney version of the devil. Sever.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Honestly MMOs are better with friends regardless of what game it is. Unless they're the super grognardy friends who will bury their heads in the sand and ignore anything and everything detracting from the game they're playing and will outpace you on every alt they make to play with you. :v:

Wildstar's improved from what it used to be, and I can't draw comparisons to ESO since I haven't played it, but it's pretty much just a cartoony wild west in space action MMO. I feel it moves at about the same speed as CoX now that some of the quality of life poo poo is in, just without the customization and wide array of power options. The writing is dumb and the humor can be grating, but the score is okay and the shiphands and adventures (which are little chunks of instanced content like the guildhests in FF14) are pretty fun. You probably won't give two shits about why you're going and shooting up bandits for a guy crouched in a cornfield nearby, though.

The one thing I can really drat it for is that once you hit the capital city it becomes much less obvious what the gently caress you're supposed to do to level, because they treat the capital as a quest hub of its own for a small level range, and everything is spread out; there isn't really a breadcrumb trail to get you out of the capital unless you've done a certain amount of poo poo there, and you're also dealing with mini-tutorials and unrelated 'go over here and fart in front of this guy' quests.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

woah.....good av, friend

Thanks. I like to have at least 1 good thing in my posts and most of the time it is just the av. Unlike Wildstar which has nothing good.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

mining nodes sometimes turning into giant worm bosses that lead to time-limited harvest tunnels are rad as well,

The best part about this was when the game was new and botting was rampant, those tunnels weren't instanced so you'd spawn in and some dude would just be teleporting from node to node hoovering up all the poo poo. Wildstar.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

kaxman posted:

The best part about this was when the game was new and botting was rampant, those tunnels weren't instanced so you'd spawn in and some dude would just be teleporting from node to node hoovering up all the poo poo. Wildstar.

PLUS you'd run up, but a bot would appear and get the stuff before you could do anything, leaving you to get smacked in the face by the monster that spawned from their light speed harvesting.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's 2015 and there are still PvE MMOs that don't instance their gathering nodes.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Unguided posted:

It's 2015 and there are still PvE MMOs that don't instance their gathering nodes.

they do that because it promotes "capitalism"

but they fail to create money sinks and player run economy is why its dumb, not that the gathering nodes aren't instanced. If it were instanced, we'd see some exponential explosion that leads to market crashes and inflation which is fine for a WoW style MMO because its low effort

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ESO is bad. Wildstar is also bad, but I'd rate ESO lower than Wildstar.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Reason posted:

ESO is bad. Wildstar is also bad, but I'd rate ESO lower than Wildstar.

I'm pretty sure ESO at least functions most of the time.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I'm pretty sure ESO at least functions most of the time.

I actually think that makes it worse.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Lant posted:

I actually think that makes it worse.

:iceburn:

Edit: why the gently caress do we have this emote: :protogas:

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 12, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

:iceburn:

Edit: why the gently caress do we have this emote: :protogas:

Wildstar threads have a...history, shall we say.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who thinks ESO is bad hasn't played it since beta.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Unguided posted:

There aren't enough people playing Wildstar to compete with for nodes, so that's nice I guess.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Anyone who thinks ESO is bad hasn't played it since beta.

And anybody who thinks it's worse than Wildstar needs to have their brain examined.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dear Goons, please don't play Wildstar, it is bad and broken and unfun.

You can trust me, I have willingly played Star Trek Online so I am an expert at recognizing bad MMOs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asimo posted:

Dear Goons, please don't play Wildstar, it is bad and broken and unfun.

You can trust me, I have willingly played Star Trek Online so I am an expert at recognizing bad MMOs.

One thing's been bothering me, how broken are Wildstar pubbies compared to STO pubs?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unguided posted:

One thing's been bothering me, how broken are Wildstar pubbies compared to STO pubs?

45 minute zonechat about favorite ponies last night. But no vein loaded lady dongs. Depending on your tastes that could be better or worse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wildstar doesn't have Xean, so worse trolling and better players.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Can't say it's too bad over on Luminai, then again I only just got to Auroria and I'd imagine the mixed language pools would make things different.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Is the ratio of posts shifting, a worrying number of posts coming in seem to be from people playing the game just for fun or something

edit: this post is unironic

After the initial week of total server meltdown where I just didn't bother trying to log in, I've been having fun on this recently.

The Chairman posted:

Yes, this is what is happening, and it is hilarious

of course every single comedian lined up for their take on it

I'm not sure if anyone else here plays the game or if it's just a 4:1 ratio of people talking poo poo about it to actually playing it.

The top post on the subreddit right now is about how negative the discussion space is. So it's not a problem unique to the forum I guess, people just really love hating on this game which is something I can't imagine spending my time doing if I did actually hate it.

Is anyone playing max level on F2P now? I'm trying to figure out what the actual catch is. At endgame will I have to buy a bunch of space-coin-bucks to do some thing? So far I've not really been impeded at all, which is surprising having tried ArcheAge.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Langosta posted:

There aren't enough people playing Wildstar to compete with for nodes, so that's nice I guess.

Actually some level 50 jerk on a hoverboard was zipping around one of the newbie zones, hoovering up the iron nodes.

I do love that if you don't have an attack in your first or second slot then you can't harvest farming nodes, though. I finished healing a dungeon and went to loot some bladevine and it shot my healing lasers at it which did nothing.

Libertine posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else here plays the game or if it's just a 4:1 ratio of people talking poo poo about it to actually playing it.

Probably the latter. There's a handful of goons that are in the usual Goon Squad guild and were on recently, so there's people playing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Arivia posted:

Wildstar doesn't have Xean, so worse trolling and better players.

STO doesn't have Xean anymore either.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be on tonight because i hate myself.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

John Dyne posted:

I do love that if you don't have an attack in your first or second slot then you can't harvest farming nodes, though. I finished healing a dungeon and went to loot some bladevine and it shot my healing lasers at it which did nothing.

Did you pick up a mining laser? If you have the right tool, all you need to do is right click on harvesting nodes to collect its rich bounty.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

The automatic trade skill quests at level 10 give you a mining laser. I have no clue how you missed it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libertine posted:

Is anyone playing max level on F2P now? I'm trying to figure out what the actual catch is. At endgame will I have to buy a bunch of space-coin-bucks to do some thing? So far I've not really been impeded at all, which is surprising having tried ArcheAge.

The catch is re-rolling runeslots. You can play rune roulette with in game currency which can get pricey, or you can buy service tokens from the in game store via either cash money or via the currency you earn in game just by doing stuff(Omnibits) and pick specifically what runeslots you want.

If I got a full set of raid gear in a week I'd be screwed for runing it with beneficial runes unless I had a ton of plat, a ton of omnibits, or I threw cash at the problem. At the reasonable rate I'm gearing up and earning omnibits it's really a non issue. Unless want to use those omnibits for cosmetic crap.

As a 50 coming back in full gear already I almost got a bit screwed by this change however, most secondary stats got dumped into runes, and what color runes did what were severely limited from what the old system used to be. This meant I had to reroll 95% of the runes on my gear in order to swing back to favorable stat territory because I needed air and fire almost exclusively in the new system, and I had a wild mixture.

The only fortunate thing is I'm gearing up so quickly from dungeons (Holy poo poo they fixed itemization guys! It's actually worth running dungeons for loot!) that it wasn't actually WORTH fixing my runes aside from the few dungeon quality items I already had. Basically if you are an old 50 coming back: Don't bother loving with runes for anything under ilvl 80. It will be replaced in a few days of dungeons, and you can be saving the omnibits you earn during this period for runing poo poo that's actually worth the effort.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2015

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Is that bug where you can get stuck on the attunement quest and the only thing you can do is make a new character still in the game?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
No, and attunement is only 4 steps now.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

No, and attunement is only 4 steps now.

Well poo poo, I didn't think they'd actually fix that. I still lose my poo poo over how hilariously long the attunement used to be though:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Libertine posted:

I think 4:1 is optimistic. It's more like 9:1. This is one of the few games where the public community is overwhelmingly less toxic than the goon community.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Besesoth posted:

I think 4:1 is optimistic. It's more like 9:1. This is one of the few games where the public community is overwhelmingly less toxic than the goon community.

Really the only thing that's missing now imo is difficulty settings on dungeons and raids to make things "Right" or at least close enough to "Right" to be enjoyable.

For all content there should really be three settings (Save maybe adventures which are already Tourist mode): Tourist mode, Dad mode, and lives off hotpockets/shits in sock mode. Call it Normal, Veteran and HARDCORE for all I care.

I'm definitely a Dad mode player. I don't want to raid more than 6 hours a week, maybe two sessions, I want it to be hard enough to be fun, but not dickslammingly hard. The 6 hours of raiding a night needed to progress in this game just doesn't conjure images of fun to me. It starts to sound like another job. I won't do it. And I'd wager 95% of the player base won't either.

This means content that post release eats up a disproportionately large amount of development time is only being seen by a few players. And since I'll never see it, and most other new content is Just Another Daily Zone, this game has a limited shelf life for players like me who only have so much patience for collecting bear asses on a daily rota.

The other problem is dailies themselves ofc. Dailies are almost universally awful, and the method which they were implemented in wildstar especially bad. What they should do is give you the option of selecting a daily zone, and that single zone give you the rewards as if you had done all 4, provided you do say a related vet adventure at the end. Maybe a daily quest that lets you select your daily zone and locks you out of the others?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

The game is free now so I'm sure most of the community playing it aren't going to be as pissed as those who paid for it initially with a monthly fee. Goons telling people not to play aren't wrong. WS has a history of loving things up and you'd be foolish to ignore it.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rhymenoserous posted:

The catch is re-rolling runeslots. You can play rune roulette with in game currency which can get pricey, or you can buy service tokens from the in game store via either cash money or via the currency you earn in game just by doing stuff(Omnibits) and pick specifically what runeslots you want.

Service tokens have also been dropping from login rewards, though I didn't bother to look at how many I was actually getting.

Speaking of login rewards, I saw some CRB name confirm that they're like GW2 in that they don't reset if you miss a day. So they got that right.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

The automatic trade skill quests at level 10 give you a mining laser. I have no clue how you missed it.

Does that work on farming nodes, though? He's talking about poo poo like Pommelgranets and yellowbells that default to your attack to harvest. (At release, you used a totally undocumented basic attack when you right-clicked a farming node.)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Langosta posted:

Did you pick up a mining laser? If you have the right tool, all you need to do is right click on harvesting nodes to collect its rich bounty.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Does that work on farming nodes, though? He's talking about poo poo like Pommelgranets and yellowbells that default to your attack to harvest. (At release, you used a totally undocumented basic attack when you right-clicked a farming node.)

Dynasty's got the right of it; I meant the farming nodes, like bladeleaf, yellowbellows, etc, the plants and poo poo you use in cooking and crafting. It uses either your first or your secondary attack when you hit F to harvest, and if neither of them deal damage you just shoot the ability off like a moron and get nothing for it. I had it shoot of Vitality Blast because I guess it was quicker than the one that works like your auto-attack for healing?

Also farming nodes have no documentation that you have to shoot them; hell, it used to be that you couldn't even interact with them like mining nodes and what have you. You just waddled up and hit 1 to hit them and then vacuumed them up. Having a tool equipped doesn't matter, and it didn't then, either. Now at least you can hit F and it does something.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mayor McCheese posted:

The game is free now so I'm sure most of the community playing it aren't going to be as pissed as those who paid for it initially with a monthly fee. Goons telling people not to play aren't wrong. WS has a history of loving things up and you'd be foolish to ignore it.

I paid for it initially, and two months' sub beyond the included 30 days, and stopped only because I had to cut back on expenses. There are valid complaints, but goons are dogpiling on Wildstar because goons dogpile on stuff.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Im actually playing the game and people defending the game as "runs fine" are the funniest, and dumbest, cheerleaders in the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Has anybody made a mod that spits phrases in response to poo poo like "runs fine"? That would be pretty entertaining.

• Locked thread