Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

wedgewood is a good intro even though i learned a while ago she based lots of her stuff on published materials from the 19th century

material culture...ask me i guess? what specifically would you like to know? same for cultural history. anything in particular you want to learn more about? for occultism, for instance, check out frances yates or the eros and magic in the renaissance guy

edit: and civilians are in the last (?) chapter, the one on memory and reception

So one thing that interest me, as an English early modernist, is do you have religious armies in the 30 years war? So, for example, the Putney debates seem to suggest that the rank and file of the army were as much, if not more, concerned with the theology of their cause as the commanders. Are there similar movements in the 30 years war? And how did language work? Did the Catholic armies just muddle through, or did they adopt a lingua franca?

I suppose the underlying question is what did all these people fighting and dying think they were doing? Was it just paid work, or did your standard pikeman care about the politics of it? Were the Swedes good soldiers because they believed in their King, or were they just well drilled? Why were the English so poo poo (seriously, why couldn't the English ever muster a sober army at any battle ever)? Did soldiers ever have their throats slit by fanatical partisans, or did the peasants just let the armed folk get on with it?

Is Frances Yates taken seriously as a scholar? I loved The Art of Memory, but I'd assumed it was dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

currently reading Six Galleons for the King of Spain, by Carla Phillips. I'm on Chap 3 right now, which has a lot of detailed, granular information on how they built ships in the 16th and 17th century, and SEXMAN, if you're into the earlier history of the profession you study you should give this a look, it's p. boss

Definitely gonna buy this.

Dammit, my backlog of books is long enough as it is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

So one thing that interest me, as an English early modernist, is do you have religious armies in the 30 years war? So, for example, the Putney debates seem to suggest that the rank and file of the army were as much, if not more, concerned with the theology of their cause as the commanders. Are there similar movements in the 30 years war?
I thought the Putney Debates were medium-level officers, rather than the rank and file. Exactly the right level of people to be educated enough to think about politics and powerless enough to be dissatisfied.

And sometimes the guys cared about religion, sometimes I don't think so. My subjects are a regiment recruited in Saxony, Bohemia, and Brandenburg, headed by a Protestant whose immediate inferiors are one Protestant and two Catholics. And while the colonel is a Protestant all three of his brothers converted to Catholicism and he himself will convert a few years after the regiment I study disbands. He has one of his appointments from the Elector of Saxony (as Lutheran as it is possible to get) and one from the King of Spain. The regiment's Artikell-Briefe (translated into English as Articles of War, one of the legal foundations of the regiment), while it enjoins the soldiers to further King Phillip IV's aims, pray for his success in arms, and pursue his enemies over land and sea etc, mentions every single one of his titles except "Most Catholic Monarch." The colonel will use that title, however, in his correspondence with the Governor of Milan, so there's a difference between how the regiment talks to itself and how it talks to the outside.

However, although the common soldiers might not care, and many officers don't, many officers do--I'm currently reading letters from a colonel named Rudolf Wolff von Ossa zu Dehla, who's handling things for the colonel of the imperialist Sulz Regiment, who's probably sick. He's counting the little towns around the place where the Sulz Regiment is and listing them by religion and adherence to either the Catholic League or the "most harmful Union" (the Protestant Union), I think to determine who gets soldiers quartered on them that winter. He cares a lot.

I don't think there are any religiously-inflected outbursts of soldierly leftism, like in England, though. But I think the English are far more likely to be literate than my subjects are, so they'd learn about that and become politically engaged.

quote:

And how did language work? Did the Catholic armies just muddle through, or did they adopt a lingua franca?
Imperial armies have one translator per regiment. The guys I study all speak German, even the Oberst Lieutnant who's a Hispano Flemish (native language probably French, has a Spanish name) who's married to an Italian. One of the Oberst Lieutnants is a Bohemian and he writes in German but the German is recognisably different. Sometimes Italians or Flemish will give testimony in garbled German, once the interrogation was conducted in Italian and translated into German for the records.

quote:

I suppose the underlying question is what did all these people fighting and dying think they were doing? Was it just paid work, or did your standard pikeman care about the politics of it?
The dudes were motivated by an almost religious loyalty to their own companies, the laws of war in general, and their own regiment in particular. As well as the desire to make money, or not die. The desire to prove their valor in combat. Family or clan ties. And also religion, like the Scots or the Irish.

I think some people cared about politics because this age saw the beginnings of widespread lay literacy. There has to be some sort of audience for all those satirical woodcuts. I have never heard any one of my dudes mention politics. Their colonel "always wants to serve a member of the praiseworthy House of Austria" though.

quote:

Were the Swedes good soldiers because they believed in their King, or were they just well drilled?
According to the very latest research, drill may not have been a thing yet, despite all the manuals out there. They did love him though. They were also good soldiers because they gained experience along the way and because many of them were probably experienced already when they came in.

quote:

Why were the English so poo poo (seriously, why couldn't the English ever muster a sober army at any battle ever)?
English soldiers were good. England as a country was...uh...not a great power yet. Let's just put it that way. Like, it's a small kingdom, not particularly wealthy, and every time they impinge upon the war it's some pathetic little expeditionary force and the result is just sad.

quote:

Did soldiers ever have their throats slit by fanatical partisans, or did the peasants just let the armed folk get on with it?
Peasants'll kill you, but probably not for factional reasons, probably because they just hate soldiers. A quasi exception is that the peasants around Luetzen killed anyone on the field the night after who was recognizably an Imperialist, because an Imperialist light cav regiment got out of hand on the way to the battle and they hadn't forgotten. Another quasi exception is peasant uprisings, some of which were a big enough deal to be little wars in themselves. Pappenheim made his name fighting a peasant uprising, by the way.

quote:

Is Frances Yates taken seriously as a scholar? I loved The Art of Memory, but I'd assumed it was dubious.
She's cool. Speaking of, you want to see something mental? This book is alchemical/astrological symbolism in the form of pictoral illustrations and accompanying music, also symbolically significant. The fact that it exists is cooler than the music sounds, unfortunately.

nothing weird here

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 11, 2015

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

I thought the Putney Debates were medium-level officers, rather than the rank and file. Exactly the right level of people to be educated enough to think about politics and powerless enough to be dissatisfied.

Thank you for those excellent answers.

I'm not going to claim some great knowledge of the New Model Army, but everything I've read suggest that among the radical regiments (which were certainly a minority) the selection of agitators was very democratic. That's not to say that the people selected were typical of the troopers, but they were able to persuade the troopers to vote them in. I'd be amazed if any of the "ironsides" (I'm using that term to mean any nonconformist cavalry soldiers) weren't educated, by the standards of the time. Given the cash requirement to be a trooper, we shouldn't think of the cavalry regiments as some sort of voice of the people.

What the views of the roundhead pikeman were, I certainly don't know. Honestly, I kind of glaze over when the battles start, but it seems like the parliamentarian infantry always lost, or ran away. I can't think of a major infantry victory by the roundheads, at least against royalist forces. Perhaps that reflects a lack of involvement in the cause? It always seems odd to me that we call the royalists "cavaliers" given how badly managed their cavalry was, throwing away victory at least twice.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

nothing weird here

I love the discreet pentagram in the corner. By the way, there may be something esoteric going on.

edit: Hexagram, I mean.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Another quasi exception is peasant uprisings, some of which were a big enough deal to be little wars in themselves. Pappenheim made his name fighting a peasant uprising, by the way.

I know basically nothing about European peasant uprisings. Did these uprisings tend to invoke religious or sectarian ideology, or were they strictly economically focused?

worlds_best_author
Aug 23, 2015
I'm interested in reading more on tank combat, would anybody recommend me some titles? Preferably fiction but nonfiction titles are also appreciated.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Did you read the attached article? They believed it did. The difference between the trappings of their culture and things that were objectively fact weren't clear to them. I remember looking at an excerpt from Army Beta, which showed a house without a chimney, asking soldiers "what's missing in this picture?" The soldiers from southern Italy put a cross on top, which was customary there, and were marked off for that question.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about the Alpha test.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

HEY GAL posted:

Did you read the attached article? They believed it did. The difference between the trappings of their culture and things that were objectively fact weren't clear to them. I remember looking at an excerpt from Army Beta, which showed a house without a chimney, asking soldiers "what's missing in this picture?" The soldiers from southern Italy put a cross on top, which was customary there, and were marked off for that question.

If you can keep Italians out of your army you're doing a great job :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hunterhr posted:

If you can keep Italians out of your army you're doing a great job :v:

Nah, just keep them out of the leadership.

Or just hire them as naval saboteurs. The Italians were shockingly good at naval special ops during the world wars.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 11, 2015

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Did they do that by trying to operate the boat?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did they do that by trying to operate the boat?

Nope. Limpet mines and towed explosive charges. Also some of the first effective motor torpedo boats.

You should read links instead of relying on national stereotypes.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 11, 2015

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Their light infantry was quite good as well, for what it's worth Rommel thought quite highly of them. Unfortunately the Germans tended to use them in situations were they weren't effective as they could be.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

worlds_best_author posted:

I'm interested in reading more on tank combat, would anybody recommend me some titles? Preferably fiction but nonfiction titles are also appreciated.

Any period in particular? For cold war I recommend "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle and "Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

So that leaves what, just drinking 24/7?

The gently caress's wrong with that?

T___A posted:

Unfortunately the Germans tended to use them in situations were they weren't effective as they could be.

:lol: this is like nazi war doctrine 101 - if it wasn't a complete deathtrap out of the factory, command is going to find a role for it where each and every strength is negated and every weakness is highlighted.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 11, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: this is like nazi war doctrine 101 - if it wasn't a complete deathtrap out of the factory, command is going to find a role for it where each and every strength is negated and every weakness is highlighted.

This leaves the impression that the guys that opposed them were bumbling chucklefucks, because even with the bombing, the industrial capacity and fighting on multiple fronts, it still took them years to reign Jerry in, and at considerable cost.

T___A posted:

Their light infantry was quite good as well, for what it's worth Rommel thought quite highly of them. Unfortunately the Germans tended to use them in situations were they weren't effective as they could be.

...and still better than they were used by Italians.

ArchangeI posted:

Any period in particular? For cold war I recommend "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle and "Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb.

Isn't Team Yankee the one their basing the new Flames of War game on?

EDIT: From the Italian sabotage stuff, WWI sinking of an Austrian ship by MAS boats:

Only 89 sailors died—41 from Hungary—the low death toll partly attributed to the fact that all sailors with the KuK Navy had to learn to swim before entering active service.

Did some WWI navies think that swimming is an optional skill for sailors?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JcDent posted:

This leaves the impression that the guys that opposed them were bumbling chucklefucks, because even with the bombing, the industrial capacity and fighting on multiple fronts, it still took them years to reign Jerry in, and at considerable cost.

Jerry had a bit of a head start :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JcDent posted:

Industrial wars favor the defender, especially when one of the attackers is halfway around the world. The early sweeping successes were very much out of the norm compared to the slog afterwards and attributable to many different causes such as being vastly outnumbered and blindsided (Poland), serious control, political malaise, and leadership issues (France/England), and post-purge clusterfuck (Russia)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Okay the MG42 wasn't a complete clusterfuck of an invention.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

...and still better than they were used by Italians.

Isn't Team Yankee the one their basing the new Flames of War game on?

EDIT: From the Italian sabotage stuff, WWI sinking of an Austrian ship by MAS boats:

Only 89 sailors died—41 from Hungary—the low death toll partly attributed to the fact that all sailors with the KuK Navy had to learn to swim before entering active service.

The guys fighting Nazi Germany made some very severe mistakes early and just weren't ready. Being ready for a war is a big help.

And about swimming, even in the mid-late 1900s merchant sailors and fishers in some places kept traditions of if you get washed ashore it's probably just best to go quick "alive".

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

JcDent posted:

This really isn't that weird, because a significant part of the time, being able to swim just means you die slower when your ship goes under.

worlds_best_author
Aug 23, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

WW2 in partit but not exclusively. Fury was an excellent movie :allears:

worlds_best_author fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 11, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fury was an excellent movie :allears:

Are you trolling?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

could you give some examples of the latter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WW2 in partit but not exclusively. Fury was an excellent movie :allears:

No! Bad poster! Look what you did LOOK WHAT YOU DID

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Okay the MG42 wasn't a complete clusterfuck of an invention.

When you're short of literally everything, is 'can fire faster than any other MG' really a selling point?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

When you're short of literally everything, is 'can fire faster than any other MG' really a selling point?

The MG42 was converted to 7,62 after the war and is still in heavy use in first-world militaries around the world, which is not something a lot of other WWII weapons can say. The only one that comes to mind is the M2 Browning.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Nope. Limpet mines and towed explosive charges. Also some of the first effective motor torpedo boats.

You should read links instead of relying on national stereotypes.

My people, the americans, aren't known for being strong readers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah? Machineguns are kind of like shotguns in that they fire bursts of bullets at you, and the more a MG can pump at you in a short burst the higher the chance that some of the bullets hit you and the tighter the grouping stays. MG42 could sling the same amount of bullets at you in a second as a Bren or DP-28 could in two seconds. Since the enemy infantryman is not walking toward you upright but leaping from cover to cover, there is some value to that. MG42 was a good design mainly for other reasons than a higher ROF, though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Yeah? Machineguns are kind of like shotguns in that they fire bursts of bullets at you, and the more a MG can pump at you in a short burst the higher the chance that some of the bullets hit you and the tighter the grouping stays. MG42 could sling the same amount of bullets at you in a second as a Bren or DP-28 could in two seconds. Since the enemy infantryman is not walking toward you upright but leaping from cover to cover, there is some value to that. MG42 was a good design mainly for other reasons than a higher ROF, though.

I think when your supplies are so short that the ROF of your machineguns is an issue, you have bigger problems than that.

ArchangeI posted:

The MG42 was converted to 7,62 after the war and is still in heavy use in first-world militaries around the world, which is not something a lot of other WWII weapons can say. The only one that comes to mind is the M2 Browning.

They cut down the fire rate, too. I had a chance to lift it one recent military/civvy day. A hefty bitch, but otherwise, it's Red Orchestra 2 IRL, down to barrel change (thanks, random Belgian soldiers who showed it).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Bulgaria finishes its careful preparations for war by manufacturing a casus belli. Mimi and Toutou have reached a river at last (although if you think that's going to make the going any easier for them, not so much), General Foch launches his final attack of Third Artois (no prizes for guessing how it goes), and Louis Barthas is supposed to be involved in it, but a few well-placed German shells scatter the battalion as they move forward and that's that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you could keep a MG42 firing 24/7 without any stops (even to swap barrels - maybe if you kept firing until it jammed, then picked a new one) then it would consume 630 million rounds per year. Germany produced some 5280 million small arms rounds in 1944, enough to keep a total of eight (8) MG42's running non-stop. :pseudo:

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

JcDent posted:

I wonder how much further this anti-Wehraboo backlash will keep going. Apparently, according to a significant fraction of this thread, the Germans were fantastically lucky incompetent morons who somehow miraculously managed to stumble their way through Europe for the only reason that their opponents were propeller hat wearing buffoons who were too busy slipping on banana peels and getting knocked over comically to oppose them.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Alekanderu posted:

I wonder how much further this anti-Wehraboo backlash will keep going. Apparently, according to a significant fraction of this thread, the Germans were fantastically lucky incompetent morons who somehow miraculously managed to stumble their way through Europe for the only reason that their opponents were propeller hat wearing buffoons who were too busy slipping on banana peels and getting knocked over comically to oppose them.

yup, and so were the 17th C Swedes

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Alekanderu posted:

Happens in WWII LP threads that have more participation than two people. If you believe the vibe here, Nazis slapsticked their way through the war because man they're so stupid they probably couldn't breathe because they're Nazis

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

yup, and so were the 17th C Swedes

Matthias Gallas Did Nothing Wrong

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Alekanderu posted:

The way I understand it, the Wermacht was above average in terms of armies that existed at the time, but its leadership had a bad case of being propeller hat wearing buffoons. :shrug:

Then again, the traditional Partizan anti-tank tactic was staging fake tank-stealing raids, waiting for the Nazis to bring in anti-armor weaponry to fight off potential stolen tanks, and then stealing those in a real raid. Which implies a number of propeller hat wearing buffoons in the Nazi mid-level command too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alekanderu posted:

Yeah this is getting silly. They did some stupid shot but they weren't incompetent. They weren't the super soldiers of popular myth but they didn't gently caress up everything they touched.

Also material shortages weren't their problem. They didn't suffer from a lack of small arms anmo. Oil? Sure. But the basics of arming your average infantry division were never a problem.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

my dad posted:

Then again, the traditional Partizan anti-tank tactic was staging fake tank-stealing raids, waiting for the Nazis to bring in anti-armor weaponry to fight off potential stolen tanks, and then stealing those in a real raid. Which implies a number of propeller hat wearing buffoons in the Nazi mid-level command too.

How do you stage a fake tank stealing raid? Surely to get them to roll out the anti armour stuff, you'd need to hit a tank depo pretty hard, and by then you could just attack the place where anti tank stuff is stored in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nothing to seehere posted:

How do you stage a fake tank stealing raid? Surely to get them to roll out the anti armour stuff, you'd need to hit a tank depo pretty hard, and by then you could just attack the place where anti tank stuff is stored in the first place.

The way I was told, mountains + surprise + panicking Nazis trying to explain the fuckup to higherups = vast exaggerations of Partizan numbers. (Also, I don't know if I phrased it well, but no tanks would be stolen. Just the possibility of the tanks eventually being stolen was enough to bring a few AT weapons closer to where the Partizans were located) Take this with a grain of salt, though. I got this from a few old vets who might have been pulling my leg. The sad thing about talking to eyewitnesses is that they might be bullshitting for random reasons.

• Locked thread