Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

greatn posted:

When they sure to declare this unconstitutional, mandatory is going to be the word they use. My client doesn't want to be on a list of registered voters, it's a violation of his free speech to have mandatory registration, as his decision to not register is an act of protest.

It's the same system we just implemented in Oregon. As far as I know there has been zero talk of anybody challenging it in the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You just know that those various groups of conservative lawyers will find some random person they can use as a challenge, which of course SCOTUS will take up, since they will take anything that furthers their agenda

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

You just know that those various groups of conservative lawyers will find some random person they can use as a challenge, which of course SCOTUS will take up, since they will take anything that furthers their agenda

You're being a crazy person right now. There's not even the thinnest veneer of legal logic - which even the ACA case had - to justify the idea that opting out of voter registration is unconstitutional.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Kalman posted:

You're being a crazy person right now. There's not even the thinnest veneer of legal logic - which even the ACA case had - to justify the idea that opting out of voter registration is unconstitutional.

Ah yes, logic, something the current Republican party is well known for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JonathonSpectre posted:

Ah yes, logic, something the current Republican party is well known for.

They do literally whatever they want but them being crazy fuckers doesn't magically make their things true

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"This case is absurd, there's no way I can rule for you."

"Uh sir, I believe you'll find that REPUBLICANS BE CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY"

"gently caress, you're right, ok no more voting"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kalman posted:

King v. Burwell shouldn't have gone forward due to lack of standing. King wasn't even affected by the mandate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

King v. Burwell shouldn't have gone forward due to lack of standing. King wasn't even affected by the mandate.

Standing is infamously negotiable. Exactly what argument do you think they'd make that an opt-out voting approach is unconstitutional?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Kalman posted:

Sounds like a republican to me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes but it'd only get like 30 votes total.

Including Boehner, though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Sanders the Bernhog officially came out in support of a new AWB.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bernie-sanders-talks-gun-control-calls-assault-weapon-ban-n442351

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Kalman posted:

Standing is infamously negotiable. Exactly what argument do you think they'd make that an opt-out voting approach is unconstitutional?

It is the fundamental right of every citizen to protest the political system through abstaining from voting. Any attempt to encourage citizens to vote violates their substantive due process rights and therefore violates the 14th amendment.

Dumb.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

:agreed:

Assault weapons don't really need to be banned when the vast majority of gun related deaths are due to handguns.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A conservative Republican Air Force reserve major turning on the Benghazi committee after being fired for not being a political tool and for taking leave to serve his country?
Reminder that the last time Republicans tried to gently caress with the military as part of their witch-hunt, it didn't go so great for them that time either.

I'm always kind-of surprised when the super-conservative military bucks what the government actually wants because of quaint ideas like honor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

First Bad Bernie position I've seen. The AWB was a bad law and doesn't need to be brough back. There are other better ways to improve gun control, including better funding for the instant background check system.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"This case is absurd, there's no way I can rule for you."

"Uh sir, I believe you'll find that REPUBLICANS BE CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY"

"gently caress, you're right, ok no more voting"

BRB, going to change the Citizens United Wikipedia page to this.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

First Bad Bernie position I've seen. The AWB was a bad law and doesn't need to be brough back. There are other better ways to improve gun control, including better funding for the instant background check system.

Bernie's playing the pandering game - he should aim higher. People don't need inside baseball of Bernie countering Hillary's call to repeal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) - which protects arms manufacturers from lawsuits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Bernie's playing the pandering game - he should aim higher. People don't need inside baseball of Bernie countering Hillary's call to repeal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) - which protects arms manufacturers from lawsuits.

The issue is Bernie voted for that bill, and against Brady, so he can't really take any positions further than Hillary's recent calls without becoming a hypocrite. Dude's absolute dogshit on guns and a weak rear end AWB support isn't going to change that for anyone.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The issue is Bernie voted for that bill, and against Brady, so he can't really take any positions further than Hillary's recent calls without becoming a hypocrite. Dude's absolute dogshit on guns and a weak rear end AWB support isn't going to change that for anyone.

Yeah he shouldn't waste his time. Our problem is global and social - the whole arms trade and our toxic, destructive world outlook must be shattered. Swords into plows. If you are so insecure that you need to open carry that is your right - but you need insurance and a license. Give everyone first aid & firearms training as a recruitment pitch in high school. American citizens can no longer waste their time on provincial politics - we must be global citizens with a strong federal identity.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hmm? He could evolve. He's already evolved on BLM, didn't he?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Brady bill was over twenty years ago and predates the recent mass shooting epidemic by a couple years shy of 20. "I was against this bill because in 1993 it wasn't a great idea, but recent events have made it clear that it is a good idea" isn't a particularly hypocritical standpoint.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

meristem posted:

He's defended his vote on the immunity act on the campaign trail more than once. "Manufacturers should be held responsible if their poo poo malfunctions, and pulling the trigger on a gun and a bullet coming out isn't malfunctioning regardless of the target" is pretty simple.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Brady bill was over twenty years ago and predates the recent mass shooting epidemic by a couple years shy of 20. "I was against this bill because in 1993 it wasn't a great idea, but recent events have made it clear that it is a good idea" isn't a particularly hypocritical standpoint.

Has he said that though? So far before this all he's said was 'I was right to vote against being able to sue gun makers' and 'we could have the strongest gun laws in the world and shootings would still happen so gently caress it'.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has he said that though? So far before this all he's said was 'I was right to vote against being able to sue gun makers' and 'we could have the strongest gun laws in the world and shootings would still happen so gently caress it'.

You never said anything about him currently saying that. You said he can't say that without being a hypocrite, and I am replying to that assertion by calling that assertion Dumb As Hell™.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

He could, but as far as I've ever heard from these parts, evolving is absolutely worse than having the correct opinion at the very outset.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You never said anything about him currently saying that. You said he can't say that without being a hypocrite, and I am replying to that assertion by calling that assertion Dumb As Hell™.

Ok fine, if he admits he was wrong about Brady he won't be a hypocrite but so far his campaign has been doing all it can to avoid talking about that specifically so I doubt that'll ever happen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've actually gotten the impression that evolving is considered worse than maintaining a bad opinion by many people, which has always been one of the most bizarre things about American politics to me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Gun Control is a poo poo issue and he shouldn't need to pander. He's been correct on the issue for decades, unlike every dumb short-sighted motherfucker that can't see past their clutched pearls to the corporate oligarchs and racist overlords that have turned this country into a meat grinder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I've actually gotten the impression that evolving is considered worse than maintaining a bad opinion by many people, which has always been one of the most bizarre things about American politics to me.

The Bush/Kerry poo poo started 'flip-flopper' as a mainstream slur. Reminder that one of his biggest attacks was Kerry was for the war, then against it, meaning he was in favor of doing something but quickly saw what a cluster gently caress the actual things we were doing were and said 'ok yea this is a fuckup'. You know, changed his view based on facts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Gun Control is a poo poo issue and he shouldn't need to pander. He's been correct on the issue for decades, unlike every dumb short-sighted motherfucker that can't see past their clutched pearls to the corporate oligarchs and racist overlords that have turned this country into a meat grinder.

Corporate oligarchs, unlike the NRA and its ties to the gun industry favoring laws that primarily help gun makers/sellers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Bush/Kerry poo poo started 'flip-flopper' as a mainstream slur. Reminder that one of his biggest attacks was Kerry was for the war, then against it, meaning he was in favor of doing something but quickly saw what a cluster gently caress the actual things we were doing were and said 'ok yea this is a fuckup'. You know, changed his view based on facts.

I'm a year younger than the Brady Bill, so Bush/Kerry was pretty much my first real exposure to American politics. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

In general, people like consistency because it means they don't have to expend effort thinking about things.

This is doubly true in politics, where people just want black and white caricatures. "Hillary was with Walmart, Walmart = bad, therefore Hillary = bad", etc.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's an extension of America itself which has always had an anti-intellectual streak

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Corporate oligarchs, unlike the NRA and its ties to the gun industry favoring laws that primarily help gun makers/sellers.

Take a look at the lobbying behind the commercial gun industry and just about any other. Wait, I'll do it for you - to Opensecrets!

Here are the top spenders so far in 2015.

If you noticed that several companies spent more on lobbying in one year than the entire 'gun rights' sector did at its highest, congrats. You're beginning to paint a mental picture.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Americans can't be trusted with guns, knives, spoons, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dan Didio posted:

Americans can't be trusted with guns, knives, spoons, etc.

Or governments.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Take a look at the lobbying behind the commercial gun industry and just about any other. Wait, I'll do it for you - to Opensecrets!

Here are the top spenders so far in 2015.

If you noticed that several companies spent more on lobbying in one year than the entire 'gun rights' sector did at its highest, congrats. You're beginning to paint a mental picture.

You don't need to spend a lot of money when you've already got one party wrapped around your finger. Just the threat of primarying a politician is enough.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Also like, it's not like there's an opposing lobby against them. It's not like the American Association of Manufacturers is going to be encouraging gun control. If the NRA is lobbying against gun laws, and no one with money is lobbying for, they're probably going to see success. The absolute amount of money they give is not the only important thing.

I don't think it's entirely a corporate money thing - it doesn't help that a lot of gun voters are extremely committed single issue voters - but come on.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

McDowell posted:

I do like how people support lovely and terrible ideas just because it hurts a group that they dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Bob Ojeda posted:

Also like, it's not like there's an opposing lobby against them. It's not like the American Association of Manufacturers is going to be encouraging gun control. If the NRA is lobbying against gun laws, and no one with money is lobbying for, they're probably going to see success. The absolute amount of money they give is not the only important thing.

I don't think it's entirely a corporate money thing - it doesn't help that a lot of gun voters are extremely committed single issue voters - but come on.

Bob Ojeda posted:

If the NRA is lobbying against gun laws, and no one with money is lobbying for,

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 11, 2015

• Locked thread