Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I didn't know that the bad guy in Goldfinger was named after the guy who did this:

and this

and this

and this

which are all perfectly villainous. This was even his personal lair:

Plus, the guy was apparently a giant rear end in a top hat.

Granted, he also did this, which doesn't suck. At least visually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Those are reminscent of the Skybridge in Chicago.

That left column? Each floor is a single unit. If I recall correctly it's like 2600 sq ft or something with a sunken living room. The listing price is "Call for price". The moderate sized one's on the right side are two stories units and around 1400-1700 sq ft and started around 700,000 USD for the small ones when I last looked about 6 years ago.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

flosofl posted:

Those are reminscent of the Skybridge in Chicago.

That left column? Each floor is a single unit. If I recall correctly it's like 2600 sq ft or something with a sunken living room. The listing price is "Call for price". The moderate sized one's on the right side are two stories units and around 1400-1700 sq ft and started around 700,000 USD for the small ones when I last looked about 6 years ago.

No handrails on the stairs seems dangerous here, because you know at least one tenant is throwing some RAGING parties.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Plus, you can go over the side which is a little worse than a series of 6" falls

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
News in Photos: Frank Gehry No Longer Allowed To Make Sandwiches For Grandkids

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Phanatic posted:

which are all perfectly villainous. This was even his personal lair:

Plus, the guy was apparently a giant rear end in a top hat.

The rest, eh you could debate. That one's the physical embodiment of reasonable. It's such a reasonable building! That's a building that really nails of concept of "being a sensible structure, just gonna keep hanging out right here on the ground. You can use me for whatever, but you know mainly normal stuff, no rock walls for climbing or a fountain that requires too much maintenance. Probably a dozen people could sleep here, once a year maybe, on new years or something."

edit: can somebody recommend me the book equivalent of this thread?

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Mescal posted:

The rest, eh you could debate. That one's the physical embodiment of reasonable. It's such a reasonable building! That's a building that really nails of concept of "being a sensible structure, just gonna keep hanging out right here on the ground. You can use me for whatever, but you know mainly normal stuff, no rock walls for climbing or a fountain that requires too much maintenance. Probably a dozen people could sleep here, once a year maybe, on new years or something."

The story goes that Erno Goldfinger built that right next door to Ian Fleming's house, who was absolutely [i]furious[\i] at this modern boxlike brick monstrosity showing up to ruin the pastoral splendour of the quiet village he lived in, and vented his rage by making Goldfinger the villain in his next book.

So yeah, that's the house that made Goldfinger a James Bond villain.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mescal posted:

edit: can somebody recommend me the book equivalent of this thread?

That point people make over and over again about the problem with modernist high rises failing to build communities because they offer no way to allow people to interact and build communities was first made by Jane Jacobs in her book, The Life and Death of Great American Cities. All my favourite posts were of those blocks the Soviets built in Eastern Europe the book equivalent of which is a great read that Owen Hatherley just released called The Landscapes of Communism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quantumavenger posted:

The story goes that Erno Goldfinger built that right next door to Ian Fleming's house, who was absolutely [i]furious[\i] at this modern boxlike brick monstrosity showing up to ruin the pastoral splendour of the quiet village he lived in, and vented his rage by making Goldfinger the villain in his next book.

So yeah, that's the house that made Goldfinger a James Bond villain.

Building it required the destruction of some older homes, Fleming wanted to preserve them. Erno threatened to sue Fleming over the book, and Fleming said "if you do, I'll change the name to Goldprick."

It's is really reasonable, it's just gently caress-ugly.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Rare Collectable posted:

:barf: more like Frank L. WRONG.

That's pretty cool tbh

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's a whole bunch of anecdotes floating around the internets about how flw's houses were pretty lovely inside. Is that true? If so, why is he so highly respected?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cultural Imperial posted:

If so, why is he so highly respected?

you've seen what high paid and respected architects have done over and over in this thread and yet still pose this query.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

There's a whole bunch of anecdotes floating around the internets about how flw's houses were pretty lovely inside. Is that true? If so, why is he so highly respected?

They were dark, uncomfortable and poorly designed for actual human occupancy, but they looked fantastic and gave birth to a brand new style. They were living art pieces, not necessarily great places to live.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So uh, what's the point of architecture

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Paddyb posted:

I'm literally shaking right now.

I used to be a contractor tasked with building out the ladder racks for new telco switches. One time we worked in a Verizon unit that was way behind schedule, because all the conduits coming out of the floor were far, far from where they were supposed to be. As a result, the walls needed to be redrawn to fit over the conduits. One particular hallway shrunk nearly half its size from one end to the other.

I was responsible for fastening threaded rods to the i-beams on the ceiling of this hall. I could only fit up one side of the hall to get between the ducting and the wall, then shimmy my over to the far side of the hall. To make matters worse, the halon sprinkler system was installed and active. This meant that if I somehow slipped and hit one of the many two inch glass bulbs, I would have to shimmy all the back, get down, and get out of the hall before the oxygen ran out.

That was the scariest job I ever worked.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's one of those open-ended questions people can and have written large books about. It's not just about being convenient as a place to live, though ... unless you are a Bauhaus or functionalism fan, and even they had clear philosophical ideas beyond that.

It's much like art in general: It's not just for making your living room prettier, but beyond that lies endless philosophical debates.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 10, 2015

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I drove past a brutalist elementary school yesterday and thought of this thread. Didn't get any pictures though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sometimes you just want to build weird poo poo

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

this building looked like a cheap styrofoam prop and I'm glad it's dead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PenguinBob posted:

It really did. It reminds me of that time when the façade of the U.S. Supreme court building was being restored and the scaffolding was wrapped with a photograph of the building:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PenguinBob posted:

It kinda looks like you could just pick it up and toss it around because it's actually really light despite looking heavy. I think it might be the bricks near the bottom.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It looks like a poorly-textured low-poly model.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Death to stucco

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

PenguinBob posted:

minecraft screenshots don't count

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Platystemon posted:

It really did. It reminds me of that time when the façade of the U.S. Supreme court building was being restored and the scaffolding was wrapped with a photograph of the building:

this is actually kind of dope tbqh

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

PenguinBob posted:

I would really like it if it didn't have that problem. What the hell did they build it with?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

The Skeleton King posted:

I would really like it if it didn't have that problem. What the hell did they build it with?

it's apparently stone underneath, but they added plasterboard cladding in the 80s and painted it to resemble the big pink granite courthouse on the left side of the picture. i can't find any pictures of how it originally looked.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

PenguinBob posted:

Platystemon posted:

I've seen that a lot, actually. Prague for example loves doing that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This must be the opposite of architectural failure: when a building is built so well it stops falling down halfway through a controlled demolition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34495463

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjExSyckAU

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 11, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tunga posted:

This must be the opposite of architectural failure: when a building is built so well it stops falling down halfway through a controlled demolition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34495463

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjExSyckAU

Pretty funny comments on thta

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PenguinBob posted:

it's apparently stone underneath, but they added plasterboard cladding in the 80s and painted it to resemble the big pink granite courthouse on the left side of the picture. i can't find any pictures of how it originally looked.

"In 1987, our firm reconstructed the exterior of the five story Tarrant County Civil Courts building, in downtown Fort Worth. The purpose of the project was in effect, to provide a giant "canvas" for nationally recognized muralist, Richard Haas. Our contract involved extensive demolition on the face of the building, installing hundreds of anchors into the existing stone panels and installing prefabricated plaster panels. The muralist's crew then painted the trompe l'oeil mural that can be seen on the façade of the building today."

That is one fugly-rear end building. The 80s redo was basically a desperate attempt to just throw a blanket over the top until it went away.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:agreed: gently caress stucco, it always looks cheap and dirty and terrible.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Yawgmoth posted:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

How did you get inside my room?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Yawgmoth posted:

Two out of three ain't bad, but it ain't good.
Not even stucco can make rococo not succo.

popewiles posted:

How did you get inside my room?

If you said this:

was your room, I'd say you were mad.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 12, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

joat mon posted:

If you said this:

was your room, I'd say you were mad.

That's my room

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's my room

You're mad!

p.s. If any local aristocrats want to take you out skinny-dipping, DON'T GO.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's my room

Kanye?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If it hasn't already been brought up in this thread I highly recommend "How buildings learn" by Stewart Brand. Excellent case studies in how buildings are designed vs. how they really get used, and how they change over time. http://amzn.com/0140139966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Not gonna lie, I would love (and probably later hate) to live in that unit jutting out of the tower.

Part of the FLW hate is that the guy was a massive prick. He was an rear end in a top hat to anyone who didn't 100% approve and love everything he did, and anyone who had the gall to do something that didn't look like his stuff was an idiot. He3 was also really bad at structural engineering, and when he designed Falling Water, he had a laughable small amount of support beams and metal holding up a massive hanging slab of concrete. One of the engineers went behind his back and doubled-tripled the amount that FLW said was needed, received a lot of flack from FLW, and even then it still sagged like crazy. He's so highly regarded because a few of this designs (Falling Water for example) inspired a whole new direction in architecture. Falling Water is absolutely beautiful, and I think it is totally liveable (with a few decent dehumidifier units added) but a lot of his stuff wasn't so great unless you loved bare concrete, massive echo chambers, feeling like you're living in a cave, or almost nowhere to get changed without someone seeing you naked.

• Locked thread