Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

joeburz posted:

you can still call out his poo poo when its a terrible policy position even if youre going to vote for him eqeta

Not only can but should. Apologizing for bad policies because they were advocated by someone you support just leads to even more bad policies being enacted. See: Obama, Barack, Presidency of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

Not only can but should. Apologizing for bad policies because they were advocated by someone you support just leads to even more bad policies being enacted. See: Obama, Barack, Presidency of.

Please, tell us more about your fantasies that are unrelated to reality. If only the left had yelled at Obama more....

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

joeburz posted:

you can still call out his poo poo when its a terrible policy position even if youre going to vote for him eqeta

Yeah, I agree on that.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

a shameful boehner posted:

I was at the event he announced this at, and he definitely spoke to mental health access, closing the gun show loophole and strengthening background checks before mentioning that he wanted to ban semiautomatic assault weapons "whose only purpose is to kill groups of people".

I think he took a balanced approach to it, at least in the way he discussed it with the crowd.
Why, that's interesting.

There is a debate on the Democratic side sometime soon, isn't there? I do hope that Trump will be livetweeting it, but I'm looking forward to American politicians actually discussing existing problem issues, as opposed to, you know, walls with Mexico and whatnot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that all sounds reasonable but one man's "semiautomatic assault rifle," is another man's hunting rifle, and the guy who calls it a hunting rifle is way more likely to vote based on that issue. The AWB was a really bad law, poorly written with bad definition s, and bringing it back is not an auspicious proposal.

The kind of person who refers to what's typically considered an assault rifle a hunting rifle isn't voting for a democratic candidate either way.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, but that's not quite the same as saying people of X districts go gently caress yourselves, enjoy no representation in the House until you pony up for your special elections.

That seems way better than go gently caress yourself you don't get to vote at all, which is self-evidently acceptable. We put restrictions on who can run for office already, age, natural born status, residency, etc. so setting a bar of "isn't going to piss off 2/3rds of the house by conspiring in the basement of a mediocre tex-mex restaurant to destroy the federal government and the world economy" doesn't seem to be a particularly novel or onerous restriction. The bar is pretty loving high to exercise that method, and it's not going to happen, but I don't see anything morally wrong or dangerous about it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

You're misunderstanding me. Expelling elected (republican) reps will bring more political backlash.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Expelling them from the party would be totally normal and splits like that are common (or at least used to be common) in the UK. Expelling the Freedom Caucus from Congress itself would be some Roman Empire poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Expelling them from the party would be totally normal and splits like that are common (or at least used to be common) in the UK. Expelling the Freedom Caucus from Congress itself would be some Roman Empire poo poo.

But expelling them from the party wouldn't do poo poo to solve the Speaker problem.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

random theoretical question: can the house nominate and elect the president as speaker?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Time for them to bring out literal whips.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Abel Wingnut posted:

random theoretical question: can the house nominate and elect the president as speaker?

You can't work for two branches of government at the same time.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, expelling them from the party, even putting aside the political backlash against the party itself, wouldn't do anything to solve the problem of electing a Speaker. They'd still be in the House, as independents or whatever splinter party, and would now absolutely vote against whomever the Republicans would want to put in as Speaker.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

There is no real mechanism for expelling people from parties in the US though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Brady bill was over twenty years ago and predates the recent mass shooting epidemic by a couple years shy of 20. "I was against this bill because in 1993 it wasn't a great idea, but recent events have made it clear that it is a good idea" isn't a particularly hypocritical standpoint.

I entirely agree, which is why it baffles me people still don't give Hillary credit evolving on criminal justice and racial issues. Sure, she supported the war on drugs and tougher sentencing back in the 90s, but she is very much running on the opposite platform today. You'll notice she supports banning military equipment from police which is in rather distinct contrast to Sanders.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hmm, ok. doesn't the vice president work for two branches, though?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yeah, but the Constitution explicitly requires that.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Iron Rose posted:

I entirely agree, which is why it baffles me people still don't give Hillary credit evolving on criminal justice and racial issues. Sure, she supported the war on drugs and tougher sentencing back in the 90s, but she is very much running on the opposite platform today. You'll notice she supports banning military equipment from police which is in rather distinct contrast to Sanders.

Sanders has repeatedly called for demilitarizing the police.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Abel Wingnut posted:

But he has no voting authority except in the case of senatorial ties. Additionally, the constitution explicitly prohibits any member of the legislature from serving in an office of the executive branch. That's just another reason Lindsay Graham is a piece of poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AegisP posted:

Yea, expelling them from the party, even putting aside the political backlash against the party itself, wouldn't do anything to solve the problem of electing a Speaker. They'd still be in the House, as independents or whatever splinter party, and would now absolutely vote against whomever the Republicans would want to put in as Speaker.

Democrats + non-Tea Party Republicans have a majority in the House.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, but the Constitution explicitly requires that.

E : refresh thread first

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Charles Koch gave an interview today,

"Because what we're after, is to fight against special interests."
:qqsay:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Robviously posted:

When they went on 60 minutes and this CBS stuff it's nothing but huge glowing pieces about how awesome, nice and charitable the Kochs are. Downsides of their buddies owning the majority of the media outlets I guess.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Robviously posted:

Technically true. :v:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I wonder if this ever works on regular people. Is there someone just kicking back in their apartment drinking a Coors and watching 60 minutes who decides those Koch guys must be alright after all?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sure lots of people don't even know who they are.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

drinking a Coors and watching 60 minutes

Yeah I think that's going to be hard to find....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Maarek posted:

I wonder if this ever works on regular people. Is there someone just kicking back in their apartment drinking a Coors and watching 60 minutes who decides those Koch guys must be alright after all?

I don't think you're describing a person that exists. There is virtually no overlap between coors drinkers and 60 minutes watchers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Suckthemonkey posted:

Yeah. Bernie's stupid on GMOs and labeling as well, but I just look past it because I care a lot more about the positions he's good on than those he's lovely on.

Is he also stupid about atoms? I might be mixing him up with some other guy that's not a D or a R.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
You know there's a reason why 60 minutes is immediately after football, right?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kalman posted:

You're being a crazy person right now. There's not even the thinnest veneer of legal logic - which even the ACA case had - to justify the idea that opting out of voter registration is unconstitutional.

Scalia literally believes that rocket launchers should be considered under the 2nd amendment due to them being man-portable and thus people can "bear" them.

And no, the ACA challenge didn't have even the thinnest veneer of legal logic, it was as pants on head crazy as sovereign citizen claims until we saw 3 years of Fox saying it was valid and correct

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So I guess that's one way to get him to stop being president.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PhazonLink posted:

Is he also stupid about atoms?
He is an old hippie from Vermont.

Of course he's stupid about atoms.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Something to fall asleep to after football?

*not on the Best Coast

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

They bank on a million or two people being passed out drunk with the TV on?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

duz posted:

So I guess that's one way to get him to stop being president.

Now I'm picturing Biden immediately resigning, re-elevating Obama to the Presidency.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Nm

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that all sounds reasonable but one man's "semiautomatic assault rifle," is another man's hunting rifle, and the guy who calls it a hunting rifle is way more likely to vote based on that issue. The AWB was a really bad law, poorly written with bad definition s, and bringing it back is not an auspicious proposal.

I agree that there are areas of gun control that are less divisive. I would argue that it isn't against the realm of possibility to come up with a palatable AWB law or adjust the framing on the issue so it's more palatable to gun owners that aren't single-issue voters.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mitt Romney posted:

When they went on 60 minutes and this CBS stuff it's nothing but huge glowing pieces about how awesome, nice and charitable the Kochs are. Downsides of their buddies owning the majority of the media outlets I guess.

I take some comfort in seeing the comments are overwhelmingly negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Aliquid posted:

Fun fact: given their actions in disenfranchisement by requiring an ID to vote and then closing down all places to get said ID in the black counties, we are supposed to expel all of Alabama's representatives

• Locked thread