Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Burt posted:

I have actually seen that more than once. I once saw a DD fire a spread of torps, miss, fire another spread, miss, then blow up due to CV secondaries just picking away at it. Obviously the DD was on my team.
And those DDs never listen to the team telling them to keep distance of 5+ km against secondaries :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aesis posted:

And those DDs never listen to the team telling them to keep distance of 5+ km against secondaries :commissar:

It can be pretty difficult to hit tier 6+ CVs from 5+ km with torps. They move so fast :shobon:

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Today I learned that locking on to targets actually results in more hits at range. I had no idea locking even did anything. Always X, I guess.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

PirateBob posted:

It can be pretty difficult to hit tier 6+ CVs from 5+ km with torps. They move so fast :shobon:
Only way to sink a CV is by torping! :v:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Stalkerr posted:

Today I learned that locking on to targets actually results in more hits at range. I had no idea locking even did anything. Always X, I guess.

Sometimes it will lock the wrong target and totally gently caress my BB volley.

Anyway, what happened to that map contest? Wasn't the deadline yesterday? I have a dog in that fight.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
How does locking onto a target get more hits? I see the reticle appear, but it only seems to make a difference for torpedo aiming.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
It helps fine tune range for your shots. Because of the angle of view, even moving your curser two or three pixels up can throw your aim off by a few hundred meters. Locking in a target helps fix that.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

How does locking onto a target get more hits? I see the reticle appear, but it only seems to make a difference for torpedo aiming.

It affects the dispersion a lot, at least for battleships. Theres a little bit of aim assist in the game and locking on will have the game adjust your shells ever so slightly. Its the different between firing at a guy near an island and all the shells hitting the island and them flying over it. Always make sure whatever you're firing at you have locked on with X.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, I've now apparently made MORE credits in a game, after repair and rearm costs, than it says I received? Seriously, how the hell is their credit system being done? Voodoo magic?

Hatsuharu
*Received: 91,735
*Fine: -18
*Compensation: 51
*Repair: -51,000
*Rearm: -6,690

*Total: 104,078

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Reported for credit hacking.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Goddammit, I just figured it out. Completely non-intuitively, WG is just adding the rewards for completing missions into your final total for a game, without actually listing that anywhere. I'd been under the impression that when you completed a mission the reward was simply added to your total.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
He may be talking about secondaries and small bore guns? Using the the lock on secondary targets increase hit percentage doesn't it?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
No, he's talking about locking a target as in the automatically-locking reticule that everyone always has and can swap around with the X key.

When you are locked onto a target with this, you get a small aim assist.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

ugh seriously my last 5 daily missions have all required torpedo hits. Maybe it would be easy if I was good at sky cancer, but I dont like carriers.

edit: getting 10 torp hits taking the Minekaze out for a spin takes some of the sting out of it

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 12, 2015

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got two missions that require me to shoot down 20 aircraft each. I just reached T6 DD and I've only ever shot down one.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I might have to take a DD out just to clear the 3 torp missions I've had up since last week. If I get 5 torp hits in one game, I can complete them all at the same time.

I took a close look at the Japanese CAs vs US CAs earlier. Holy cow, they all seem better than the US equivalents, in almost every way. It feels like WG intentionally wants the US to feel like the least powerful navy... look at Russia and Germany coming down the pipeline, with their amazing everythings with no downsides. This feels like WoT's early days all over again.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

Stalkerr posted:

I might have to take a DD out just to clear the 3 torp missions I've had up since last week. If I get 5 torp hits in one game, I can complete them all at the same time.

I took a close look at the Japanese CAs vs US CAs earlier. Holy cow, they all seem better than the US equivalents, in almost every way. It feels like WG intentionally wants the US to feel like the least powerful navy... look at Russia and Germany coming down the pipeline, with their amazing everythings with no downsides. This feels like WoT's early days all over again.
Japanese CA's have a High risk - High reward playstyle, They have huge citadels but they are way more fun and usually deal more damage, Also Zao is way superior to DM at the moment.
Also Kriegsmarine Cruisers seem to be underwhelming to say the least while the Soviets(Surprise surprise..) Seem to be a bit too powerful.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Oppressor posted:

Also Zao is way superior to DM at the moment.

Thanks to the sniper coward meta.
DM like the Cleveland, is murdermobile at medium to close range.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

Krogort posted:

Thanks to the sniper coward meta.
DM like the Cleveland, is murdermobile at medium to close range.
Yeah DM is essentially a Top tier Cleveland, With Lackluster AA for it's tier.
Any idea if DM can penetrate Yamatos/Montanas like Zao can with AP?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Oppressor posted:

Any idea if DM can penetrate Yamatos/Montanas like Zao can with AP?

They're 203s, so yeah. The issue with US boats is that their shells travel a bit more slowly, and therefore arc more, than IJN boats, but I don't know the specifics on the Des Moines' shells. I really doubt you'll be penning belt armor, but dropping shells on the deck should work well if you're gunning for citadels. You can easily "pen" if you're not shooting at the waterline, though. But you'll only get standard pens, bounces, and overpens, which is terribly inconsistent damage. Just soak them in HE if you're not a gambling man.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oppressor posted:

Is it really that bad? It looks like it has great long range AA, so if you pop defensive fire planes should get ripped apart.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I love ramming when it is a certain death situation for me. It was 2v6, I rammed an Izumo to death with Iowa (~10k left) and he wasn't happy :v:

DM has high arc just like any other high tier US ships. Main problem with US ships is that at long range you have to aim for decks, but with the slow projectile speed and high arc it's easy for anyone to dodge or minimize hits. But getting close is a bitch because pubbies are bunch of cowards.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Aesis posted:

I love ramming when it is a certain death situation for me. It was 2v6, I rammed an Izumo to death with Iowa (~10k left) and he wasn't happy :v:

DM has high arc just like any other high tier US ships. Main problem with US ships is that at long range you have to aim for decks, but with the slow projectile speed and high arc it's easy for anyone to dodge or minimize hits. But getting close is a bitch because pubbies are bunch of cowards.

I started playing this a few weeks ago and as I've hit tier 4 and 5 this has increasingly become a thing. Last time I took out the Arkansas (which is only good in comparison to the South Carolina), I frequently found myself way ahead of everyone else because they'd be staying as far away from the enemy as possible hoping someone else would go do the work. This resulting in matches where the last three ships on our side would all have full health but get hunted down by the 6 or so remaining on the other side.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Aesis posted:

If this happened yesterday on Two Brothers then there's a good chance it was me you rammed :-)/

In the situation that happened to me, I had closed to about 10k from an Iowa, north side of the map central. He was coming head on, I was at about a 15 degree angle. I reckon I whittled him down from 50% to 10% before he rammed me but the interesting thing was I barely took any damage from his shots in that time. So I think the Izumo definately has some good things going for it, even if in general the Iowa is the better ship.

Also, does the Izumo have better AA than Iowa? I'm in the Hull C and the raw numbers seem to suggest my AA is better than Iowa, but I'm not sure how captain skills etc affect the numbers I see in port vs those of the un-researched Iowa. The Izumo grind certainly hasn't been as bad as I had feared. I'm about 40k XP from the end too.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

kaesarsosei posted:

If this happened yesterday on Two Brothers then there's a good chance it was me you rammed :-)/

In the situation that happened to me, I had closed to about 10k from an Iowa, north side of the map central. He was coming head on, I was at about a 15 degree angle. I reckon I whittled him down from 50% to 10% before he rammed me but the interesting thing was I barely took any damage from his shots in that time. So I think the Izumo definately has some good things going for it, even if in general the Iowa is the better ship.

Also, does the Izumo have better AA than Iowa? I'm in the Hull C and the raw numbers seem to suggest my AA is better than Iowa, but I'm not sure how captain skills etc affect the numbers I see in port vs those of the un-researched Iowa. The Izumo grind certainly hasn't been as bad as I had feared. I'm about 40k XP from the end too.
Was today in Hotspot. The chance is that he was shooting your hull or turret.

Fully researched Iowa with AA range module + range/efficiency skills gets either 92 or 95 93 points in AA.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 12, 2015

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Omaha owns. Stayed home sick so I can't work, but I'm trying to enjoy the day pubbies.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

El Disco posted:

Is it really that bad? It looks like it has great long range AA, so if you pop defensive fire planes should get ripped apart.

In my experience in cbt, the dm's aa is brutal when you're using the defensive skill and just so so on cooldown. Skill plus focus fire obliterates squadrons.

That said, I'm grinding toward the Zao because the ships leading up to it look more fun.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Stalkerr posted:

My first goal ship was the Cleveland. I've had the Pensacola unlocked for several weeks now but I have no desire to continue down that line. I almost think they need to re-tweak the captain skills to affect 203mm guns as well, because its a significant disadvantage over >155mm cruisers. As others have noted the IJN cruisers are extremely fragile. Playing through the Furutaka, Aoba, Myoko, and now Mogami has trained me to never sail in a straight line, and even when actively dodging, BB spreads can be large enough to clip you with one or two shells and that can easily cost you a huge chunk of your hp. And while I have managed to sink a lot of ships with the awkwardly placed torpedo launchers, I find that the threat of your torpedoes is almost as important as firing them. I can make a turn while an enemy BB is reloading and sometimes he will slam his rudder to one side assuming my launchers were ready and loaded and move his turrets out of position giving me time to create some distance and lob a couple more salvos.

Looking forward to my Mogami captain finishing his re-training (was too cheap to use doubloons). I also think i'll go up the new Russian DD (already have a captain ready to go with AFT) and German cruisers lines at least up to the Tier 4-6 sweet spot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Really I think rather than have AFT affect 203s, they should change it back to not affect your main battery at all. Instant balance for the Mogami, Cleveland, and Russian/Soviet DDs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Really I think rather than have AFT affect 203s, they should change it back to not affect your main battery at all. Instant balance for the Mogami, Cleveland, and Russian/Soviet DDs.

Or they can drop the caliber to 127mm. I'm pretty sure the RUS DDs are 130mm, just a tiny bit enough to avoid that, while still buffing US DDs and certain lower tiered ships. And the Atlanta. :getin:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, I just had a Königsberg appear in my port. Is anyone else having them pop up? A quick GIS and search of the forums didn't mention anything about a giveaway or release of them or something, so I was curious. Is WG just releasing ships to random people for testing? Suspect it's the latter, since the two upgrades on it both both only cost 1* and 1 credit, but thought I'd see.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/sea-trials-ru-de/

They're apparently giving them away to play with if you complete these 'sea trials'.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

So, I just had a Königsberg appear in my port. Is anyone else having them pop up? A quick GIS and search of the forums didn't mention anything about a giveaway or release of them or something, so I was curious. Is WG just releasing ships to random people for testing? Suspect it's the latter, since the two upgrades on it both both only cost 1* and 1 credit, but thought I'd see.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/sea-trials-ru-de/

quote:

Path to the Königsberg (German tier V Cruiser)

During Sea Trials: Sink four enemy ships in one battle (Random battles only), while commanding any Japanese vessel tier IV or higher.

quote:

Path to the Gnevny (Russian tier V Destroyer)

During Sea Trials: Sink four enemy ships in one battle (Random battles only), while commanding any American vessel tier IV or higher.

quote:

!!!!!!!!!!A Port slot!!!!!!! and a Commander with three skill points are included with each ship.
:getin:

Lasts till the 19th. Its only T4 and higher, so this should be easy. Hop in your Kumas and Clevelands and get kill stealing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, missed that announcement. That would explain it then. Had just finished a game in my Nagato where I killed three destroyers trying to torp me, along with finishing off a Pensacola. Nice almost 20k game for my secondaries alone.

They aren't currently giving any exp or credits though so I'll probably mostly just sideline it for the moment, though it certainly has an interesting playstyle.

edit: So, after getting that piece of information, took my Marblehead out for a spin and earned myself a shiny new Soviet destroyer too.:cool:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 12, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Just my luck that I only have the Phoenix for the US and I spent all my Japanese xp on recently getting the Kawachi instead of the Kuma.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Wonder when that started. Maybe I already have it, if not it's Kuma time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, rereading the announcement, it looks like we're supposed to be getting credits and exp, but something seems bugged. Exp being listed as 0 could be a property of crew and ship exp apparently being directly transferred to the T1 ships on the respective tech trees as, judging from the fact that I still got an amount of Free EXP, something is going on behind the scenes. Credits though have no such stipulation, and I definitely had a listed earning of 0 of those as well.

Of course, according to the announcement, it isn't supposed to start until tomorrow either...

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vadoc posted:

Just my luck that I only have the Phoenix for the US and I spent all my Japanese xp on recently getting the Kawachi instead of the Kuma.

Phoenix will work for the RUS DD. Get a Kuma though, it owns.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Which is the best cruiser line where i can brainlessly shoot gun and not be super worried about torps? Currently going up the American bb line and I'm dissatisfied with the colorado with how cruisers will dance around my shells while keeping me lit up.

The St. Louis is rad, but I'd like to go up the tiers. Is the aurora like the St Louis but premium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So I like the Konigsburg

Had the round not ended I was probably on my way to an 8th and possibly 9th kill. 3 Turrets with 3 guns, 1 forward 2 rear. The 2 rear turrets have pretty drat good traverse angle though so you dont have to go full broadside to get most of your firepower. 8.9 second reload but drops down to about 6.5 with basic firing training. I think the guns are pretty drat accurate and have some nice shell speed and not too much in the way of dispersion.

Was only my first round in it as well, I didnt even notice until the end that it had torpedoes I could use. If the higher tier cruisers have torpedoes as well I think it will put the final nail in the coffin for the US cruiser line.

EDIT: Doesnt appear to be showing up in my stats page. I really wanted to look at what my accuracy was, I feel like it was above 50%

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 13, 2015