Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I actually came across this by accident. Noticed the nebula from a long way off - looked like a red dot inside a small orange cloud. I thought maybe it was a protostar or remnant or something, and couldn't be more than a hundred or two ly away.

2K lightyears later and :holymoley:

Yeah it's really spectacular when approaching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Would using a Type 6 as a miner, like this, be workable? Or would I be better off getting a Cobra or trading my T6 in for an Asp?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Icedude posted:

Would using a Type 6 as a miner, like this, be workable? Or would I be better off getting a Cobra or trading my T6 in for an Asp?

I'd move some things around to get more cargo space, like so.

e: Or put together an Asp like this for similar cost and get more cargo space. 8 refinery bins is plenty. 5 of them will be dedicated to PPPGO, and you can just periodically clear the other three so your hopper doesn't get backed up.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Shine posted:

I'd move some things around to get more cargo space, like so.

Do I need the second Collector Controller when the size 3 can control two drones at once already?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Icedude posted:

Do I need the second Collector Controller when the size 3 can control two drones at once already?

I like 3, so you don't have to wait around after you've depleted the rock for them to finish up. Though I'm not sure if the T6 can power two small mining lasers for the full time it takes to mine a rock. If you didn't catch my edit, look at it for an Asp that would cost about the same and work better.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The biggest bottleneck in mining is the number of collector limpets you have out at once. I find that a couple of level 2 mining lasers can strip an asteroid in a very short period of time, but then I'll spend double that time sitting around waiting for the limpets to pick up the materials even when I have 3 out at once.

So yeah, I'd really recommend 3 limpets.

I'm flying an Asp at the moment - are there any higher tier ships that people find are good for mining?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Anaconda :haw:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Well, 25 million net worth atm only another...... :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm grinding Empire rep so I can put together a mining Clipper. 5 collectors and almost 200t cargo space, and it's much cheaper than a Python or 'Conda. Eventually I'd love to make a ridiculous mining Anaconda.

e: There's also the Type-7.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 11, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The more internal slots the better. You could probably fit a T7 miner for less than 25M.

e: 26M appearently :v:

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 11, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

QuantaStarFire posted:

Pfft, look at this guy. Still believes that Thargoids are real.
if they're not real, then who built this?
the truth has been in our face the entire time but no one is looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7s_7UM6cQ

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Shine posted:

8 refinery bins is plenty [...] just periodically clear the other three so your hopper doesn't get backed up.

Assuming you're sticking to metallic rings (you should be), a I believe a 9-bin refinery will never need clearing. One slot per ore found in metallic-type sites.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
My mining Python has double Class II mining lasers, which liberates ore very quickly indeed. I've equipped the ship with two collector controllers of 3 limpets each, so I always have 6 limpets zipping around collecting crumbs, and even then, I have to wait a not-inconsiderable amount of time for them to scoop up the floating ore. The more limpets you can have simultaneously active, the faster ore recovery will be, and the sooner you can move on to the next rock. At the cost of a higher rate of limpet consumption. For faster mining. I don't know if it's more cost efficient, but it's certainly much faster.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Mining is cool, the imperial eagle is cool, CQC is cool, this update is cool.

Has anyone played around much with the new federal ships? They look sweet but on paper I don't really see the niche they're supposed to fill. The assault ship looks a bit worse than the imperial clipper at about the same price, and the gunship seems significantly worse than the python at only a marginally lower price. Is there something else to them in actual use?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The can land at medium pads and the FAS had pretty excellent hard point placement relative to the clipper.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can't connect to frontier servers

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ditto.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

timn posted:

Mining is cool, the imperial eagle is cool, CQC is cool, this update is cool.

Has anyone played around much with the new federal ships? They look sweet but on paper I don't really see the niche they're supposed to fill. The assault ship looks a bit worse than the imperial clipper at about the same price, and the gunship seems significantly worse than the python at only a marginally lower price. Is there something else to them in actual use?
I'm going to buy a gunship, put 7x multicannons on it and it's gonna own. :colbert: Well ok maybe I'll 6x multicannons and use the large slot on a laser of some sort.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
7x railguns. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

7x railguns. :colbert:

I love railguns, but thanks to being really bad at aiming I never had any success with them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Not enough ammo :(

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The intern tripped over the plug.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190684

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i just bought this video game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

The following regards their roles in PVE, unless noted otherwise.

The FAS is probably gonna be a really good PVP ship. Its weak shields make even the Clipper look good by comparison. With the Clipper having the exact same weapon loadout, and actually being able to pack more shields and much better internals, it's not even a fair fight. So no role filled here

The Gunship is just a disaster. If it cost as much as the FAS, it could be a pretty cool, cheaper Python. But it doesn't, so when you take into account the ridiculous lengths you go to to get decent shields on it to get to 'middling python build' while sacrificing utility slot viability, paired with the worst maneuverability, it's just bad. For much the same reasons, it's also bad for PVP.

Both ships seem to have an 'armor tank' gimmick to them, which doomed them right from the start - with no way to repair out in the field, you just cannot sustain a fight for long; my testing of the FAS, complete hull tank, lasted me about 20 mins at a CZ - unless you don't care about spending (admittedly not a lot of) money repairing armor, this doesn't begin to compare to shield tanks. Too bad, both look really cool.

E: The Gunship took the Fer-de-Lance's throne on the worst jump distance and autonomy

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 11, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone else been keeping up with Isinona's youtube vids? How anyone can fly with FA off the way he/she does is extrememly absorbing to watch.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Flight assist off basically turns your ship into a really old helicopter.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone else been keeping up with Isinona's youtube vids? How anyone can fly with FA off the way he/she does is extrememly absorbing to watch.

That dude is basically a space wizard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gonkish posted:

That dude is basically a space wizard.

So it's not just me then. Anything he does in the game is like watching a ballet. I now aspire to master the freedoms of FA off.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Random theorycrafting question. Could you make a gimmick shielded stealth build by optimizing for shield recharge instead of shield strength? Basically get some hull reinforcement, shield cells, as lovely shields and as strong distributor as possible. So that your shields can only take a hit or two but go online from zero in moments. The idea would be to be able to switch between silent running and shielded combat basically at will, trying to avoid getting hit for extended periods and using shield cells to extend the longevity of your lovely shields. Can you get your shield strength/recharge rate ratio low enough to make this viable or is raising offline shields going to always take too long in combat? What ships would be good for this, if any?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't work. Even if there was a setup that would get your shields up that fast, not to mention you'd have to have full pips to systems, people would just chew right through you.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Recharge rate is 1MJ/s; sometimes less but never more

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Constant transaction server errors on Xbox :(

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Shame. I did some googling and apparently shields take half of your maximum shield value in seconds to go from zero to up regardless of gear as long as they get their juice and the fastest time you can get is on a sidewinder with the stock 2e shields at 26 seconds from zero to online. Though you can get cobras and some of the other jack of all trades ships to under 30 seconds as well if you equip the worst shields possible. You could maybe kind of do it by picking one of the ships that can get their shields to under 60 Mj and stuffing them to the gills with hull reinforcement and military or better armor, but at that point the value of having 60 Mj of shields every half minute relative to your masses of hull starts to seem kinda low and you might as well go all in on hull tanking and free up the power for guns and engines.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zaardvark posted:

My mining Python has double Class II mining lasers, which liberates ore very quickly indeed. I've equipped the ship with two collector controllers of 3 limpets each, so I always have 6 limpets zipping around collecting crumbs, and even then, I have to wait a not-inconsiderable amount of time for them to scoop up the floating ore. The more limpets you can have simultaneously active, the faster ore recovery will be, and the sooner you can move on to the next rock. At the cost of a higher rate of limpet consumption. For faster mining. I don't know if it's more cost efficient, but it's certainly much faster.

Limpet costs are so low that each limpet is pretty much guaranteed to collect more than it's value in ore before it expires unless it crashes into a rock right out of the launcher, a single chunk with one of the PPGO ores in it is worth more than the limpet retrieving it. As long as your lasers are extracting the ore faster than the limpets collect it adding more limpets will always be more cost and time efficient.

Also for those with a type 9, the magic number for me is 9 limpets.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is mining suddenly profitable?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DiHK posted:

It was always profitable, there's just been some significant quality-of-life changes that have made it worthwhile to the masses. Jump on in, the rings are fine!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

DiHK posted:

Yes. With a 96t cargo Asp I easily get over $1,000,000 per run off the commodity market, or up to several million if I reload the bulletin board for mining missions. There are some good guides linked and discussed within the last few pages.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's like piracy but with targets that dont fight back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So i outfitted my imperial clipper as that mining build and bumbled over to the nearest metallic ring and figured out how to do prospecting limpet and other limpets and laser the rocks.

But for like 30 minutes of work i got like 150k credits of stuff.

• Locked thread