Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Champs retain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pick 'em
Champs retain

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying this recent face push. Thanks, Smasher. Now that I'm settled into the new house, I'm gonna work on acquiring a nice Christmas present for you this year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Southpaws
Wolverines
Doom

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Pick 'em: I am boycotting next update's games of the week

Champs Retain

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Champs Retain

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League V, Week 15: Break Over, Return of Canon

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

SCIENTISTS CONTINUE TERRIFYING RISE AS GAY AGENDA SWEPT AGAIN

land of uncapitalized writing -- For an interleague series between division leaders, one could not find a greater contrast. Inky101 is a new owner, somehow finding himself in possession of the lead almost practically in spite of himself. CraigK is a bitter veteran who...finds himself in the lead almost practically in spite of himself. Huh. Well, in any event, the Scientists are a team stuffed with talent feloniously acquired, holding onto a lead in a division where his rivals will devour him whole if he should stumble. The Gay Agenda, not quite equally blessed, have not only stumbled but have fallen into a series of ditches lined with sharpened bamboo spikes. The difference of course is that their erstwhile division rivals are so apparently hapless that they've faired even worse, as if the same pits now contained an angry, hungry tiger to boot.

This series was a boon to CraigK, though he'd never admit it. Using the Gay Agenda as a guaranteed wins dispenser, the Scientists swept the Agenda and maintained their 1 game lead over the Killer Mikes, with an eight game winning streak. The Agenda, after dropping their last seven including today...still have a 1.5 game lead over the Romneys.

At some point I'll get around to talking about the game, but there are greater socioeconomic trends to discuss here. As there have been rumblings about the general inequality of talent in the Sub Par between the Bush League and the Gyros League, there has been no better display of that enormous chasm of quality than this horrific showdown over the last few days. If this is the best that Feast or Fired can do, then the whole division ought be excised to save the rest of the league from further embarrassment. Were this a herd of wildebeests on the Serengeti, by consensus the herd would have hung a collective "eat me" sign on the necks of the this limping, weakly set of animals by which Darwin would vividly demonstrate his principles.

In the event, the game itself did not have to be a sweep. Both pitchers had bad outings, as teams in the Sub Par league are wont, and at the bottom of the 9th with both teams tied at 5 runs a piece, it looked as though Quisenberry would force the extra innings because he was facing the Scientist's Stan Musial, the Man (of many terrible disappointments), if this season was of any guide would likely pop out or somehow cause a double play or otherwise cause his team's owner to suffer another fatal aneurysm from his lack of clutchiness. However, to the vast surprise of many, he homered to get the walk-off RBIs of the game.

By tenacity, a team of the Bush League won. The Gyros League representative could only stand mute as a tidal wave of competence dashed over whatever ramshackle defenses could be put up against a veritable force of nature. In that one mighty swing, Musial redeemed himself and demonstrated that if you have a DH, you stand astride the Sub Par like the Colossus of old.

There was little point in interviewing the teams afterwards. CraigK, ready to vent his unending vitriol against his team, had gone into shock with the sudden win, all his expectations upended. The resultant change in circumstances had shattered his world view and left him agog. Rumors he spoke in complete and properly formatted sentences are unsubstantiated, and it is more likely he died once again in some sort of apoplexy because he could no longer blame his life's failings on Musial.
Inky101, of course, could communicate only in emoticons. While :sigh: about the loss, inky was :shobon: about retaining the lead, such as it is. Inky further expressed :3: for some reason that ended up being a litany of bizarre icons such as :choco: :quagmire: :pram: that made everyone present regret being alive, nevermind being present.

In conclusion, gently caress the Gyros League.

GAME NOTES

- When you've got men on base, you should totally yank one of your more productive players in the form of George Brett in order to allow your team mascot to pinch hit.

- Orbit naturally popped out. Perhaps this was a demonstration of ballistics mechanics that would be an educational moment as per his namesake.

- The only reason this game was at all competitive was because of an error by the Scientist's Martinez who allowed two runs for the Agenda. It's cruel enough as it is, there was no need to play with them like a cat pawing a cornered mouse.

- In fact, only two of the runs ended up being credited as ER against Bernhard.

- I looked up the list of emoticons now present on the forums and my monitor instantly flooded with images that probably put me on various FBI watch lists.

Box Score

Old McDonald posted:

AMERICAN HERO DONOVAN RETURNS, A NEW HERO EMERGES, MORNACALE HOIST BY OWN PETARD?

Geneva. Wait, no, Genoa. Always get those two confused - Turns out you don't actually need to run your team to have success. By some strange force, the Outsourcers continue to draw breath and stay in contention for the division title. Despite having been abandoned before the season even started, they stay deadlocked in a battle with the forces of New York and The Gay, with Antigua and South Shore not too far behind. And now, with the all-star break behind them, the team is rejuvenated and ready to start a resurgence. On the other side, we have perhaps the polar opposite of the Outsourcers, the one team that can not be said to be managed too little, the Genoa Janus. The rotation micromanaged to an almost ridiculous degree, and a stadium of extremes, punishing left-handed power with a massively far out right field fence while aiding right-handed power with a bandbox left side. "The Dent", indeed. The plans were there, and they seemed to work to start with, with the Janus taking the first two games of the series. This game, however, would be different.

Taking the mound for the Outsourcers would be Bill Donovan, arguably the face of the Outsourcers, coming back from an injury and ready to go. For the Janus, it would be Felix Hernandez, who has seen great success so far, pretty much leading the team in ERA with a solid 3. One might not think that the battle of Donovan vs. Hernandez would turn into a pitchers' duel, but it pretty much did. Both pitchers put in a strong performance, with Hernandez going seven innings and allowing three hits and one walk, whereas Donovan went a complete game with three hits and three walks. In a situation such as this, it requires a special man to step up and break the deadlock. An American legend had to come in to clinch this game in the most American way possible, through sheer power. Of course, it had to be the Sultan of Swat, the Colossus of Clout, the one, the only, Ba-

Nah, I'm just loving with you, it's actually 22-year old Giancarlo Stanton. Besides, Babe bats left-handed. He wasn't hitting poo poo in that park. So yeah, turns out that right-handed power hitters can kind of gently caress the Janus over, and it happened exactly that way in this game. Stanton has been not exactly stellar so far, but I guess since he's a DH on a no-DH team, I guess we can chalk that up to good old sample size. Up to this series, Stanton has hit one home run. In this game, he hit two. But since he's a right-handed power hitter, it was to be expected that he would abuse the park dimensions to hit some dingers over the left field fe...

...hold the gently caress up.

And what was that ballpark again?

...well I'll be damned. So Stanton just crushed an over 500 foot dinger. Even as the proprietor of the Ultimate Despair Dome, where dingers go to die, and staunch anti-dinger activist, I'm still impressed. I was impressed when Cool Papa Bell did it at the Ultimate Despair Dome, and I'm impressed here. So anyway, Stanton's two dingers were the only scoring plays in this game, and in true Republican fashion, Stanton was the only run scored from them - no handouts! However, as the Janus' offense completely failed to get anything resembling a scored run going at all, it was more than enough to bring home the victory.

The post-game conference was relatively short, as Mornacale was absent, feverishly concocting a new stadium design system that would allow him to have outfield walls ever further away, and the current general manager of the Outsourcers, Republican candidate Ben Carson, was speaking so quietly nobody actually heard him, and since reporters figured he actually fell asleep, they just left - and good for them, as I'm sure nobody wanted to hear about how he got out of a robbery at a Popeye's by calmly redirecting the robber to the clerk and saving his own rear end while advocating human wave tactics as a legitimate measure against spree killers or claiming the holocaust would have been easily cut short if everybody in Nazi Germany had guns and that disarming citizens is the first step a fascist dictatorship always takes. Fairly certain even Curt Schilling holds less objectionable beliefs at times.

However, while the owners were not available for much comment, the hero of the game, Giancarlo Stanton, definitely had something to tell the reporters: "I'm telling you, I'm actually really good at hitting a baseball! I'm just stuck as a DH on a team that hardly plays games with a DH, so I can't do poo poo! Can somebody please get me off this loving team? I know there's nobody around to actually officially make trades on this team, but can't the Commissar make an exception or something? Please, get me to a team that can actually use me! Save the dingers!"

GAME NOTES

- This is realistic, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bOXH4UbuM

- More Stanton dinger appreciation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuej6iJCGsQ

- Ron Santo is batting .145. Small sample size, but still, .145. That's bad.

- Bill Donovan struck out double the batters Felix Hernandez did, eight to four. This is why Curt Schilling is the true strikeout king of the Sub-Par League!

- Can we make this happen? Can somebody please make a fair trade for Giancarlo Stanton, get approval of the Commissariat and give him more chances? I want to see how he fares.

Box Score

Mick Freese posted:

HOL HORSES DROP SERIES TO GUMSHOES AS MARAUDER MULLS THE FUTURE

Houston - The first two games of this series were fairly close, closer than a series should be between an above-average team in the Punjabi Prison and a last-place team in the Gyros League. And with each team winning one, neither wanted to drop this third and deciding game.

This game was not close.

The Gumshoes jumped all over Harry "Slim" Sallee from the early innings, plating 5 runs before driving the Hol Horses starter from the game on their way to an easy 8-2 victory, continuing the run of success they've been on ever since the Super-Draft began. In fact, with the struggles of all the teams above them in the standings, the Gumshoes now stand only four games out of first place in their division.

Postgame, there was a rare appearance by Marauder himself, after his untimely death several seasons past. "Truly, a disappointing week for all of us," Marauder lamented despite the victory, "I know we were all cheering on the Coburns and Imperialists, praying to whatever deities that we would see them once again. It would have been nice, after all, to have the four of them once again next season." Marauder paused, taking a long, pensive drag of his cigar. "No matter. As you have just seen, the Gumshoes will take first place soon enough, and with it, regain their spot in the Super-League."

A wry smile graced Marauder's lips. "Ironic, isn't it? That the lowly Gumshoes will be the first of us to return. But it's simply a matter of time. Beckett and his bunch will be returning soon, and of course, with gently caress You and Doomsday gone, there will be no teams left that can prevent us from taking the Tag Team championship as well. And after that, who knows? We may just see the Finger-Bangers return once again. I'd like that."

"Also, our opponents tonight had me thinking. Wasn't that boy going to regale us with tales of anime each week this season? Whatever happened to that? I was... really looking forward to it," Marauder clearly was hoping for some laughter from the crowd to end his press conference.

GAME NOTES

- The Gumshoes had more extra-base hits than the Horses had hits. That's not good.

- I understand that some people in this league have a fetish for Harvey Kuenn. It is true that he can hit okay, and plays just about every position. However, he does not actually play any of them well.

- Circle me, Bert. Please. It's all I've got left. I just need you to circle me.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Adding offense might help you break through.

Analysis

Well, you can't complain about that series.

Analysis

So many relationships in this life, only one or two will last. You go through all the pain and strife, then you turn your back and they're gone so fast. Mmmbop, dop bop doo wop, doo doo bop bop doo wop, dop bop doo. Yeah. Yeah.

Analysis

If this rotation keeps pitching this well, a comeback might be possible.

Analysis

Don't be rude to inky.

Analysis

Maybe not the worst after all?

Analysis

You should know better than to tempt Giancarlo.

Analysis

gently caress the Bum.

Analysis

You think you can escape Larry Doby by putting him on the bench? Not good enough.

Analysis

What's the matter? Don't you even care about the Zombie Llamas' record of 64 home runs?

Analysis

This is one place where you probably won't be able to win with less than 50%.

Analysis

Your pitching staff might appreciate a switch to Tulo at short.

Analysis

Injury death is bad.

Analysis

Yeah.

Analysis

The Syndicate is timeless.

Analysis

Mike Scott told me he wants to get his shot. I think it's time.

Analysis

Nap good. Cursed Gehrig bad.

Analysis

This upcoming week is must-win. Get the wins. Do it for me.

Analysis

Guessing you want Mathews to provide that power that the lineup is sorely missing.

Analysis

The offense is starting to come together.

Standings

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Changes:

code:
New bullpen:

CL	Rob Dibble
SU	John Wetteland
SR1	Justin Verlander
SR2	Max Scherzer
MR	2004 Curt Schilling
LR	1989 Curt Schilling

Set Pitch Through Trouble and High Pitch Counts to 5.
Notes From The Acting Assistant Headmistress Monomi's Desk:

: Um... excuse me, I have an announcement to make!

- Okay, team, good joke. You really got me scared there for a second that you were actually going to get swept and lose the title, at home of all places. Come on now, it's the first two weeks of the month over and done with and we're currently posting a losing record and are losing ground to the Mexicutioners and Vault Boys. Please stop now. Please. Stop. For my sake.

- Not really much to talk about, that series was kind of bad. Two of our Schillings got shellacked for six runs each, if my calculations are correct, but at the end of the day, they're still doing a hell of a lot better than the bullpen, which blew the third game. The Brian Wilsons in particular aren't doing well in general, so I guess it's time for some wild experimenting. We have a great surplus of decent starting pitchers, but nothing really for the pen, so screw it, let's throw some starters in the pen and then make more of an effort to not let the pen even get the opportunity to Mike Remlinger us. This is a good plan that has seen success before, and while we can't find some Japanese kids to throw in the bullpen, we'll make due with what we have.

- In related news, apparently, there are rumors going about that this team will be undergoing a bit of an image change after this season, and ideas have been flooding the office for baseball affairs. Some look rather promising!

Well, that's it for this week! Until next week, remember to keep those spirits up and those thoughts positive!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

quote:

Analysis

Don't be rude to inky.

I'm sorry inky :(

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
Draft Pick: uhhhh '68 luis tiant i guess

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

nooooo agenda noooooooooooo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Modern Bourgeois

(Yes, this needs to be resized)

All sliders neutral, ballpark should be based on Safeco Field.

(DH league please)

Lineup
CF Carlos Gonzalez
SS Troy Tulowitzki
RF Jayson Werth
DH Barry Bonds
1B Freddie Freeman
LF Bryce Harper
3B Evan Longoria
C Matt Wieters
2B Ray Durham

Bench
OF Adam Jones
UT Darren Daulton
UT Ben Zobrist
UT Chris Davis
C Wilson Ramos

Pitchers
SP Ubaldo Jimenez
SP Curt Schilling
SP Jason Schmidt
SP James Shields
SP Stephen Strasburg
LR Shelby Miller
MR Grant Balfour
MR J.P. Howell
SU Arodys Vizcaino
SU Jim Johnson
CL Koji Uehara

Minors
RP Brian Wilson
SP David Price
SP Jake Arrieta
2B Anthony Rendon
CI Mark Reynolds

CSV
gonzaca01,2010,MOD,,,Carlos,Gonzalez
tulowtr01,2010,MOD,,,Troy,Tulowitzki
werthja01,2013,MOD,,,Jayson,Werth
bondsba01,2006,MOD,,,Barry,Bonds
freemfr01,2015,MOD,,,Freddie,Freeman
harpebr03,2013,MOD,,,Bryce,Harper
longoev01,2008,MOD,,,Evan,Longoria
wietema01,2011,MOD,,,Matt,Wieters
durhara01,2006,MOD,,,Ray,Durham

jonesad01,2011,MOD,,,Adam,Jones
daultda01,1997,MOD,,,Darren,Daulton
zobribe01,2008,MOD,,,Ben,Zobrist
davisch02,2011,MOD,,,Chris,Davis
ramoswi01,2013,MOD,,,Wilson,Ramos

jimenub01,2010,MOD,,,Ubaldo,Jimenez
schilcu01,1997,MOD,,,Curt,Schilling
schmija01,2006,MOD,,,Jason,Schmidt
shielja02,2008,MOD,,,James,Shields
strasst01,2013,MOD,,,Stephen,Strasburg
millesh01,2015,MOD,,,Shelby,Miller
balfogr01,2008,MOD,,,Grant,Balfour
howeljp01,2008,MOD,,,J.P. Howell
vizcaar01,2015,MOD,,,Arodys,Vizcaino
johnsji04,2015,MOD,,,Jim,Johnson
ueharko01,2011,MOD,,,Koji,Uehara

wilsobr01,2006,MOD,,,Brian,Wilson
priceda01,2008,MOD,,,David,Price
arrieja01,2011,MOD,,,Jake,Arrieta
rendoan01,2013,MOD,,,Anthony,Rendon
reynoma01,2011,MOD,,,Mark,Reynolds

Commence mocking!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

kensei posted:

Modern Bourgeois

(Yes, this needs to be resized)

All sliders neutral, ballpark should be based on Safeco Field.

(DH league please)

Lineup
CF Carlos Gonzalez
SS Troy Tulowitzki
RF Jayson Werth
DH Barry Bonds
1B Freddie Freeman
LF Bryce Harper
3B Evan Longoria
C Matt Wieters
2B Ray Durham

Bench
OF Adam Jones
UT Darren Daulton
UT Ben Zobrist
UT Chris Davis
C Wilson Ramos

Pitchers
SP Ubaldo Jimenez
SP Curt Schilling
SP Jason Schmidt
SP James Shields
SP Stephen Strasburg
LR Shelby Miller
MR Grant Balfour
MR J.P. Howell
SU Arodys Vizcaino
SU Jim Johnson
CL Koji Uehara

Minors
RP Brian Wilson
SP David Price
SP Jake Arrieta
2B Anthony Rendon
CI Mark Reynolds

CSV
gonzaca01,2010,MOD,,,Carlos,Gonzalez
tulowtr01,2010,MOD,,,Troy,Tulowitzki
werthja01,2013,MOD,,,Jayson,Werth
bondsba01,2006,MOD,,,Barry,Bonds
freemfr01,2015,MOD,,,Freddie,Freeman
harpebr03,2013,MOD,,,Bryce,Harper
longoev01,2008,MOD,,,Evan,Longoria
wietema01,2011,MOD,,,Matt,Wieters
durhara01,2006,MOD,,,Ray,Durham

jonesad01,2011,MOD,,,Adam,Jones
daultda01,1997,MOD,,,Darren,Daulton
zobribe01,2008,MOD,,,Ben,Zobrist
davisch02,2011,MOD,,,Chris,Davis
ramoswi01,2013,MOD,,,Wilson,Ramos

jimenub01,2010,MOD,,,Ubaldo,Jimenez
schilcu01,1997,MOD,,,Curt,Schilling
schmija01,2006,MOD,,,Jason,Schmidt
shielja02,2008,MOD,,,James,Shields
strasst01,2013,MOD,,,Stephen,Strasburg
millesh01,2015,MOD,,,Shelby,Miller
balfogr01,2008,MOD,,,Grant,Balfour
howeljp01,2008,MOD,,,J.P. Howell
vizcaar01,2015,MOD,,,Arodys,Vizcaino
johnsji04,2015,MOD,,,Jim,Johnson
ueharko01,2011,MOD,,,Koji,Uehara

wilsobr01,2006,MOD,,,Brian,Wilson
priceda01,2008,MOD,,,David,Price
arrieja01,2011,MOD,,,Jake,Arrieta
rendoan01,2013,MOD,,,Anthony,Rendon
reynoma01,2011,MOD,,,Mark,Reynolds

Commence mocking!

It will get murdered but it's an amazing team and I absolutely love it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pickem
Champs retain

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pander posted:

It will get murdered but it's an amazing team and I absolutely love it.

Pretty much my thoughts

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

The New York Winners select Steve Bedrosian '83. He will be the CL. Reed will be Setup. Franco and Lopez will be SR.

Send Berra to the minors while injured, calling up Smoky Burgess. Burgess will start at catcher and hit in Berra's spot. Lou Boudreau will play 3B and hit in George Kell's spot while Kell gets sent down. Stirnweiss will ride the bench.

Heal, Yogi, heal!

LegendInTheMakin
Oct 4, 2015
Team Name: St. Maarten Storm
Team Logo:
Home City: St. Maarten, Dutch Island
Home Field: PNG Field *with the roller coaster* (People's Natural Gas Field -- Altoona, PA) Ballpark Dimensions: LF: 325', LCF: 365', CF: 405', RCF: 375', RF: 325'
Excelllent Infield Quality
Very Short Infield Grass
Excellent Visibilty
Normal Foul Ground
DH Pref: Yes DH

Starters:
C Manny Sanguillen
1B Willie Stargell
2B Nap Lajoie
SS Ed McKean
3B Richie Hebner
LF Jesse Burkett
CF Andrew McCutchen
RF Roberto Clemente

Lineup vs. L/DH, R/DH:
DH Cupid Childs
LF Jesse Burkett
2B Nap Lajoie
1B Willie Stargell
CF Andrew McCutchen
RF Roberto Clemente
SS Ed McKean
3B Richie Hebner
C Manny Sanguillen

Lineup vs L/No DH, R/No DH
LF Jesse Burkett
2B Nap Lajoie
CF Andrew McCutchen
1B Willie Stargell
RF Roberto Clemente
SS Ed McKean
3B Richie Hebner
C Manny Sanguillen
P Game's Pitcher

Bench:
C Shinosuke Abe
IB/3B Aramis Ramirez
2B/SS Cupid Childs
OF Elmer Flick
OF Ichiro Suzuki
2B Bill Mazeroski

Rotation:
SP1 Cy Young the Younger
SP2 Addie Joss
SP3 Cy Young the Older
SP4 Gerrit Cole
SP5 Yu Darvish
LRP Cy Falkenberg
MRP Mudcat Grant
SRP Antonio Bastardo
SRP Mark Melancon
SU Tony Watson
CL Joakim Soria

Minors:
Jung-Ho Kang
Nig Cuppy
Masahiro Tanaka
Nelson Briles
Al Oliver

Strategy:
Hit and Run: 1
Sacrifice Bunt: 1
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for extra bases: 2
Stealing Bases: 1
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: -2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 1
Bringing the Infield In: -1
Guarding the Lines: -1
Making Cutoff Throws: 1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 0
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 2

ramirar01,2015,,,,Aramis,Ramirez
mccutan01,2015,,,,Andrew,McCutchen
watsoto01,2015,,,,Tony,Watson
melanma01,2015,,,,Mark,Melancon
soriajo01,2015,,,,Joakim,Soria
sanguma01,1971,,,,Manny,Sanguillen
brilene01,1971,,,,Nelson,Briles
grantmu01,1971,,,,Mudcat,Grant
stargwi01,1971,,,,Willie,Stargell
clemero01,1971,,,,Roberto,Clemente
lajoina01,1909,,,,Nap,Lajoie
cuppyni01,1895,,,,Nig,Cuppy
falkecy01,1909,,,,Cy,Falkenberg
youngcy01,1909,,,,Cy,Young
youngcy01,1895,,,,Cy,Young
jossad01,1909,,,,Addie,Joss
childcu01,1895,,,,Cupid,Childs
mckeaed01,1895,,,,Ed,McKean
kangju01,2015,,,,Jung-Ho, Kang
colege01,2015,,,,Gerrit,Cole
bastaan01,2015,,,,Antonio,Bastardo
darviyu01,2009,,,,Yu,Darvish
tanakma01,2009,,,,Masahiro,Tanaka
hebneri01,1971,,,,Richie,Hebner
burkeje01,1895,,,,Jesse,Burkett
ellisdo01,1971,,,,Dock,Ellis
oliveal01,1971,,,,Al,Oliver
suzukic01,2009,,,,Ichiro,Suzuki
mazerbi01,1971,,,,Bill,Mazeroski
flickel01,1909,,,,Elmer,Flick
abesh99,2009,,,,Shinnosuke,Abe

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Call Hunter Pence to the bench, and send Jimmy Wynn to the minors. Make Mike Scott SP4 and move Mordecai Brown to Long Relief.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Given the continuing demise of Manny Ramirez, I have a happy coincidence of my needs, the BPA, and a Bloggers superstar. The Janus pick 1928 Babe Herman and place Kouerson on the clock. Babe makes the majors while Grandpa Manny is on the DL. Also, please bring up HR Baker for Red Schoendienst. A complete roster post will be forthcoming.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Ice To Meet You posted:

Analysis

Your pitching staff might appreciate a switch to Tulo at short.

Make it so.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'm not sure exactly how Babe Herman compares to the Enos Slaughter I already have, so I'm basically leaving it up to your judgement. If you want to give me any info, I can tell you pretty quickly which I prefer to use where.

vs RHP, no DH
2B Eddie Collins
RF Babe Ruth
C Mike Piazza
1B Frank Thomas
LF Babe Herman OR Enos Slaughter
CF Elmer Flick
SS Ernie Banks
3B Ron Santo
P
:siren: Use whichever of Herman or Slaughter you think is a better overall player vs RHP.

vs LHP, no DH
2B Eddie Collins
1B Frank Thomas
C Mike Piazza
RF Vladimir Guerrero
LF Babe Ruth
SS Ernie Banks
3B Ron Santo
CF Joe Carter
P

vs RHP, DH
2B Eddie Collins
LF Babe Ruth
DH/RF Vladimir Guerrero
1B Frank Thomas
DH Babe Herman OR RF Enos Slaughter
C Mike Piazza
SS Ernie Banks
3B Ron Santo
CF Elmer Flick
:siren: Use whichever of Herman or Slaughter you think is the better player vs RHP ignoring power. Then fill Vlad in at the other position.

Pitching
- switch Felix and Nolan in the rotation
- make sure the next starter is Old Roy, the SP4

Sliders
Extra Bases to 0
Pinch Hit to 0
High Pitch Counts to +2

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
ZenVulgarity trade me Matt Harvey

#ZenTradeMattHarveyToMornacale2015

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
let zenvulgarity keep their 97 overall pitcher mornacale

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Expansion Owners!

Not counting the Marauder filler team, literally all of you except kw0134 have specificed they want a DH. Anyone who doesn't care/wants to change their mind please let me know, otherwise it'll be evened out randomly (or we could just have both leagues be DH for this EC i guess but that's just delaying the issue)

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

CraigK posted:

I'm sorry inky :(

OH NO! :science::sweep::gifttank:

But it's okay for we are friends and emotes exist to heal all wounds. :refurb: :shittydog: :birddrugs: :buddy: :parrot: :yayclod: :duckie: :ghost: :krakken: :monar: :spooky:

(Also I know I am a they amongst the many he's here so it's a bit hard to remember but please try to pronoun me correctly, general thread peeps! :hb:)

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Too bad it's probably too late to make a comeback. Still nothing wrong about trying for it.

Let's make a few changes. Dick Tidrow has been an utter disappointment so we have Robb Nen taking the Closer position and everyone moving down a poistion with Tidrow going to the minors. Keefe is going into Long Relief for Jim Kaat for now. Lastly move Jennings to the bench instead of Roger Connor. I think I should have an IF guy on the bench even if it is Jennings.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Swap Newsom and Malone.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Might as well set up the new lineups

vs RHP
SS Luke Appling
RF Mel Ott
1B Jim Thome
CF Mickey Mantle
C Ernie Lombardi
LF Elmer Flick
3B Hanley Ramirez
2B Dustin Pedroia
Pitcher

vs LHP
SS Luke Appling
LF Elmer Flick
CF Mickey Mantle
RF Mel Ott
C Ernie Lombardi
1B Larry Walker
3B Hanley Ramirez
2B Dustin Pedroia
Pitcher

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Monicro posted:

Expansion Owners!

Not counting the Marauder filler team, literally all of you except kw0134 have specificed they want a DH. Anyone who doesn't care/wants to change their mind please let me know, otherwise it'll be evened out randomly (or we could just have both leagues be DH for this EC i guess but that's just delaying the issue)

For now, just make both leagues DH. We'll re-assess where we are after the EC and the Gauntlet.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Champs retain

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Anyone want to trade for Chase Utley?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XVII, Week 16: Boycott!

Huddle up, team. Come on, huddle up. Here's the thing. Most of the time when one of my teams are in the playoffs, I'm able to focus myself on the Super-League and do my best to work through it. But a lot of my work on the Super-League has to do with writing about baseball. And it turns out that writing about baseball really doesn't do much to distract you from baseball for some reason.

But this whole situation has got me thinking as to the other devastating playoff losses that my teams have suffered since the Millennium, which I've listed in order of ascending agony.

2001-02 Stanley Cup Playoffs
(4) St. Louis Blues d. (5) Chicago Blackhawks (4-1) (Western Conference Semifinals)

Honestly, I can't even really remember who was on this team. It was still the Tony Amonte era, right? Yeah, it was. And Eric Daze led the team in points. And home games still weren't televised. And it was the only time in something in about a decade where the Blackhawks actually made the playoffs. So, you know, it's hard to say that I really cared about this loss, since this team came from nothing, and quickly returned to nothing.

2008-09 Stanley Cup Playoffs
(2) Detroit Red Wings d. (4) Chicago Blackhawks (4-1) (Western Conference Finals)

I guess I could be mad about this series, since, given the talent the Blackhawks had, as they would show the next season, they probably could have theoretically won this series. But, then again, they didn't have Hossa just then, he was on the Red Wings in that series, and you could make the argument that Kane and Toews, and a few of the others, needed a bit more time to grow before they'd be able to win a Stanley Cup. I don't know, if the Blackhawks hadn't won the Stanley Cub next season, I'd probably feel more strongly about this series, but as it stands, it's okay. Even at the time, there was a feeling that this was a growing process, so I don't even recall being that irritated back in 2009.

2001-02 NFL Playoffs
@ St. Louis Rams 45, Green Bay Packers 17 (NFC Divisional)

You might think I'd be angry about a game where Brett Favre threw six interceptions, but, well, that was life under Favre. You just had to get used to that sort of thing. Besides, at the time, the Rams seemed completely unstoppable, especailly with that high-powered offence they had at the time. And the Packers were on the road. I mean, could they have reasonably been expected to win this game? I don't know that they really could have, given the circumstances, and if they were going to win, it was because Brett Favre would sling the ball around just enough to win the Packers the game. And he did some slinging, but it was not the good kind. Such is life.

2009-10 NBA Playoffs
(1) Cleveland Cavaliers d. (8) Chicago Bulls (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

Listen, losing to Lebron sucks. But this wasn't really all that good a Bulls team. They went 41-41 in the regular season, their coach was Vinny Del Negro, and they had to play the best team, by record at least, in the Eastern Conference. I would have liked them to win this series, but at the time, it didn't seem to really matter, especially since, at the time, it seemed like the Bulls were about to cash in and score some quality free agents. And then they only got Boozer, because it turns out that a lot of superstars colluded with each other to create a super-team, and they didn't want to create said super-team in Chicago. But, that's only clear in retrospect. At the time, it looked like this was a scrappy effort from a team that was on the rise, and who were poised to become real contenders.

2004-05 NFL Playoffs
Minnesota Vikings 31, @ Green Bay Packers 17 (NFC Wildcard)

This game should have pissed me off, because it was a loss to a divisional rival in a home playoff game, but as someone who was a fan of the Packers at the time, it was clear that the Favre-era was starting to wind down, and that the Packers were probably not going to be winning a lot of playoff games in the near future. As it turned out, I was kind of wrong about that, but that's kind of a common theme, I guess. Also, I don't really mind when the Packers lose to the Vikings. I know that they're technically the Packers' rivals, and I'll admit, I've always seen the Vikings as more of a threat to the Packers than the Bears, but everyone knows that when the Vikings make the playoffs, it's going to end in tears, and I don't feel the compulsive need to have my team be the one to add on to that sadness, because, unlike Cardinals fans, I have a soul.

2005-06 NBA Playoffs
(2) Miami Heat d. (7) Chicago Bulls (4-2) (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

Well, holy gently caress, how the hell were the Bulls going to win this series, anyway? They had good defense, because Scott Skiles was nothing if not a defensive coach who occasionally lapsed into psychosis (see also: Coach Thibs). But the leading scorers for the Bulls in these games were Ben Gordon twice, Andreas Nocioni twice, and Kirk Hinrich. I don't know how the hell a team that is leaning that heavily on Ben Gordon and Noce to score loads and loads of points was supposed to beat a team that ended up winning the NBA Championship. I guess maybe if they let Kirk Hinrich have access to a chainsaw, and he cut off Dwyane Wade's legs, that might have worked. But otherwise, this team had a total lack of firepower, and was hosed.

2009-10 NFL Playoffs
@ Arizona Cardinals 51, Green Bay Packers 45 (NFC Wildcard)

Hey, when you give up 51 points in a playoff game, you're probably not going to come away with a win. Granted, the Packers did force overtime, because Aaron Rodgers is one of the few guys in the universe capable of spotting a team that many points and being able to keep pace. But, still, when your defense does that badly, it's hard to really complain about the result in good faith.

The only thing I will say is that, in overtime, the game ended when Rodgers got sacked and fumbled, and the ball got returned for a touchdown, and, on that play, Rodgers clearly had his facemask pulled, and that wasn't called. But, then again, if the Packers' defense hadn't been entirely useless in regulation, the 45 points Rodgers had already scored would have made it a moot point. By the way 'the Packers' defense hosed up' is going to be something of a running theme.

2004-05 NBA Playoffs
(5) Washington Wizards d. (4) Chicago Bulls (4-2) (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

This was the first time the Bulls had reached the playoffs since the Jordan era, so that was kind of special. But they were kind of a lovely team, so them losing wasn't really that big a deal, though they really could have won this series. The problem was that the Bulls had a lot of okay, but not really good players, and if you stacked them together, they would occasionally do all right, but they didn't add up to a good team. Like, Eddie Curry had good low-post moves, but he was useless defensively, and had a heart defect (and didn't play in the playoffs). Ben Gordon could sometimes shot lights out, but often didn't, and was too small to guard anyone effectively. Luol Deng had a load of skills, but he loves long two point shots, which are the least efficient shots you can take. Tyson Chandler was good defensively, but then, as it always is and shall ever be, wasn't much help on offense. Kirk Hinrich was the cap'n, but he was a scrappy white guy with your standard scrappy white guy skills, which wasn't always, or ever, really, pretty. Let's be honest, Kirk Hinrich is the basketball equiavlent of David Eckstein, without the rings. Also, Chris Duhon played for this team. A lot. And that was really, really bad.

2013-14 NBA Playoffs
(5) Washington Wizards d. (4) Chicago Bulls (4-1) (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

Time is a flat circle.

The story of the post-Jordan Bulls is the story of looking for a star player with consistent offense. Rose looked like that guy for a bit, but then injuries kind of ruined that. Butler might be that guy, but he wasn't yet that guy in time for this series, so you had a Bulls team that relied on D.J. Augustin to score a lot of points off the bench. Which was a great idea but for the fact that D.J. Augustin is D.J. Augustin. And for those of you who have never heard of D.J. Augustin, that is kind of the point, isn't it?

2007 MLB Playoffs
Arizona Diamondbacks d. Chicago Cubs (3-0) (NLDS)

Let's be honest with ourselves, the only reason the Cubs were even in this series was because someone had to win the NL Central, and everyone else somehow, and I'm baffled as to how this occurred, since the Cardinals were the defending World Champions and the Astros had won a pennant in 2005, but the Cubs ended up being that team, winning all of 85 wins in the regular season. Hell, the Cubs office had so little enthusiasm for this team that the big trade acquisition they made during the regular season was the living remains of Jason Kendall. So, the Diamondbacks had home-field advantage, and they just beat the Cubs three straight games. This era of the Cubs actually sucked a lot more than people realized. Did you know that the Cubs picked Josh Vitters with the third overall pick in the draft that year? Terrible, just terrible.

2010-11 Stanley Cup Playoffs
(1) Vancouver Canucks d. (8) Chicago Blackhawks (4-3) (Western Conference Quarterfinals)

You know, if I'm going to get mad at anything, it's that the NHL put in a hard salary cap just when the Blackhawks were getting into a position to actually build an invincible juggernaut. Then again, I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons the salary cap was put in was to prevent invincible juggernauts from being created, and but for the salary cap, the Blackhawks could have won even more Stanley Cups, and, really, they won enough, all things considered. The only regret I have for this series is that if the Blackhawks could have knocked out the Canucks in the first round, I'm pretty sure that the resulting riots would have destroyed the entirety of Vancouver, and that would have been a bit fun, just because Canucks fans....

Well, you guys know.

2012-13 NFL Playoffs
@ San Francisco 49ers 45, Green Bay Packers 31 (NFC Divisonal)

Remember when I was talking about how the Packers' defense loving things up for everyone? This is what I meant by that. Then again, this game helped to create the myth of Colin Kaepernick, which may yet leave the 49ers naught by ruins and tears. So, I'm willing to partially accept this result as part of a long-term strategy to destroy a persistent rival. Beyond that, here was a game that I felt like the Packers could have won, but they didn't. I have no further comment.

2006-07 NBA Playoffs
(1) Detroit Pistons d. (5) Chicago Bulls (4-2) (Eastern Conference Semifinals)

You know something? The Bulls front office has got to be one of the dumbest motherfucking groups of people to ever run a team for as long as they have. So, here's what this brain trust did leading up to this season. The Bulls had the second overall pick in the draft, because the Knicks had traded them an unprotected pick in exchange for Eddy Curry, and then, predictably, sucked an incredible amount, giving the Bulls a great pick. And then they picked LaMarcus Aldridge, and things were finally going to turn the gently caress around! And then the Bulls immediately traded him for Tyrus Thomas, who had incredible athletic skills that he was entirely unable to turn into actual basketball skills. It was amazing.

But, fine, you've got Tyrus Thomas. So, the Bulls now have plenty of good defensive players. They have Kirk Hinrich, they have Luol Deng, they have Thabo Sefolosha, they can keep the score down. But what they don't have is a guy who can score consistently. Oh, they have guys like Ben Gordon and Andreas Nocioni, who can sometimes score, but you can't count on them, So the Bulls needed a scorer, and they had enough good defenders that they could afford to put a good scorer with questionable defense into the lineup.

And they sign Ben Wallace, the least offensively minded player in human history. I don't think that Ben Wallace ever realized that, in addition to denying your opponent the ability to score points, that you too were allowed to score points for your own team. Ben Wallace could score, assuming that he was alone, and within three feet of the rim when he got the ball, and there was no defender within ten feet of him. That last bit was important, because any mildly competent defensive player, when they saw Wallace near the basket with the ball, would immediately foul him, because, in addition to sucking at every other aspect of scoring, Ben Wallace was comically terrible at shooting free throws. As in, the literal worst of all-time at them. And that was the big free agent signing for this team.

Big loving shock, it didn't work out.

2012-13 NBA Playoffs
(1) Miami Heat d. (5) Chicago Bulls (4-1) (Eastern Conference Semifinals)

Actually, the only irritating thing about this loss is that it was against the Heat. Against any other team, I would have put it way, way down on the list. This was the year that Rose didn't play at all, meaning that the Bulls were back to being a "let's hold the opponent to 60 points, because we can't score more than 65" type team, and that's really only going to get you so far. The Bulls were running on fumes by the playoffs, and still managed to ice the Nets in the first round based on nothing but grit, determination, and the Nets melting down almost entirely. I'll be honest, it was mainly the meltdown. And then the Bulls had to face the James/Wade/Bosh chimera in the second round, and when your offense revolves around Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng, and Deng is in the hospital with deathitis, you aren't going to make it. And the Bulls didn't.

2011-12 NHL Playoffs
(3) Phoenix Coyotes d. (6) Chicago Blackhawks (Western Conference Quarterfinals)

Another situation where the main frustration is that the Blackhawks lost to a team I don't care for. Hockey has no business in Arizona. The state of Arizona is mostly covered in desert. It is a furnace. Hockey is about ice and cold. They two are diametrically opposed. From a slightly more realistic perspective, the problem is that in cold weather cities, going to hockey games is fun, because the stadium is a poo poo-ton warmer than it is outside, and it's too loving cold to go anything outdoors anyway. In Phoenix, it almost never really gets so cold that you can't go out and do something, so hockey has additional competition for people's attentions.

This was also the series where Raffi Torres tried to murder Marian Hossa, only to realize that Hossa is actually immortal, and cannot be slain.

2013-14 NHL Playoffs
(P3) Los Angeles Kings d. (C3) Chicago Blackhawks (Western Conference Finals)

I probably should care more about this one, because but for an overtime goal in Game 7, at the United Center, the Blackhawks could have won three straight Stanley Cups, but, you know what, this sort of thing happens. You play a good team like the Kings were that season, and they can beat you. And the Hawks won the Stanley Cup in 2013 and 2015 anyway, so it's hard to be all that mad at what happened.

2002-03 NFL Playoffs
Atlanta Falcons 27, @ Green Bay Packers 7 (NFC Wildcard)

Okay, here's some interesting trivia. Going into this game, the Packers had never lost a playoff game at Lambeau Field. That sounds pretty impressive, until you realize that Lambeau was opened in the early '60s, and so you had Lombardi's dynasty crushing everyone in its first years, and then the Packers just stopped making the playoffs for about 20 straight years after that, and then, during the early Favre era, the Packers beat the teams they were supposed to beat at home, and then saved their losses for the road. So, the Packers had never lost at Lambeau in the playoffs, but they really hadn't played many games there, either.

Anyway, they got murder-death-killed by the Michael Vick Falcons in a game that really should have told me that the Brett Favre Era was running out of steam. Of course, I didn't figure that out until later.

2013-14 NFL Playoffs
San Francisco 49ers 23, @ Green Bay Packers 20 (NFC Wildcard)

Long game! It was all part of the long game! The Packers had to lose so that the 49ers would think that they could trust Kaepernick. It was part of the plan, drat it! It was all part of the plan. It's okay, it's okay. IT'S PART OF THE PLAN!

2008-09 NBA Playoffs
(2) Boston Celtics d. (7) Chicago Bulls (4-3) (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

You know what, you could make the case that this series was high tide for the Post-Jordan Bulls. I mean, the Bulls lost in the first round, but they almost beat a really good Celtics team, in a really exciting series. And probably should have won had Rajon Rondo's attempt to rip Brad Miller's head off to stop him from scoring been properly scored as a flagrant. It wasn't, so Brad Miller had to take his own free throws, which was hard for him, since his head was half-torn off. Still, it's hard for me to say that the Bulls really should have won this series anyway.

2011-12 NFL Playoffs
New York Giants 37, @ Green Bay Packers 20 (NFC Divisional)

A 15-1 season down the tubes thanks to the loving Giants. Then again, this team kind of felt like a paper tiger at the time. Yeah, they had Aaron Rodgers doing Aaron Rodgers things, but the defense wasn't truly great, it just had the advantage of being shackled to an unstoppable offensive force. That description has basically applied to every Packers defense since Reggie White retired, but felt especially true for this game.

2010-11 NBA Playoffs
(2) Miami Heat d. (1) Chicago Bulls (4-1) (Eastern Conference Finals)

If the Bulls were ever going to beat the Lebronian-era Heat, it was going to be in this season, right before Rose's knees started exploding with alarming regularity. But they weren't going to. Mainly because they always had certain deficits when it came to secondary scoring. I mean, they didn't usually get torched by the Heat, as I recall, but if the Heat could handle Rose, then the Bulls were kind of hosed, because who else was going to score? Luol Deng? Not an efficient scorer. Carlos Boozer? Coach Thibs wasn't about to let him play in any game-critical situations. Joakim Noah? THAT IS NOT WHAT JOAKIM NOAH DOES!

2014-15 NBA Playoffs
(2) Cleveland Cavaliers d. (3) Chicago Bulls (4-2) (Eastern Conference Semifinals)

Another loss to Lebron. It's kind of a Bulls tradition at this point. The problem with this series is that it really exposed that the team was having difficulty figuring out whether or not the offense should center around Derrick Rose or Jimmy Butler. Personally, I think it should be Rose, if only because Rose is a bit more dynamic in certain situations, and is the point guard, and, after all, Butler needs to focus more on defense than Rose does. That will hopefully get settled this season. Hopefully.

2011-12 NBA Playoffs
(8) Philadelphia 76ers d. (1) Chicago Bulls (4-2) (Eastern Conference Quarterfinals)

Actually, I don't give a poo poo about the games themselves in this series. The 76ers taking the Bulls out was a mercy killing. In Game 1, the Bulls were up by a big margin late. There was not good reason for the starters to be in the game. But Coach Thibs liked to play full throttle at all times, and so he kept Derrick Rose in the game. And Rose's ACL broke into a million pieces in garbage time, injuring both Rose and the Bulls themselves in a way that neither have ever really recovered from.

2003-04 NFL Playoffs
@ Philadelphia Eagles 20, Green Bay Packers 17 (NFC Divisional)

This would be the 4th and 26 game, and the final entry in the "the Packers' defense gently caress it all to hell" series. You would think that, on a 4th and 26 late in the game, up 17-13, as I recall, that the Packers would be able to handle anything that Donovan McNabb, not exactly known for his outstanding clutchness, could dish out. But they could not. They just could not, and the Eagles ended up winning the game. Now, I will grant you, the Eagles were probably the better team, but the Packers really should have won this game, and they did not, and I would say that it was the epitome of the later Farve era Packers playoff losses, but there's a better one coming up, amazingly.

2008 MLB Playoffs
Los Angeles Dodgers d. Chicago Cubs (3-0) (NLDS)

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand, how good were the 2008 Cubs? They had a good record, they won 98 games, best in the NL.

On the other hand, they also weren't really that special. Their best position players were Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano, both good players, but not transcendant players by any means. Their best pitcher in the second-half was Rich Harden, and if that isn't a sign that success would be fleeting, I don't know what is. And they were an old team. The dessicated corpse of Jim Edmonds ended up playing most games in center field. The only position players in their 20s to regularly start were Geovany Soto and Ryan Theriot. Jason Marquis was allowed to start 28 games without anyone stopping and asking "Is this really something we should allow to befall us?" Ryan Dempster was the staff ace. This was not a sustainable bunch of players.

But they did win 98 regular season games and then get their asses handed to them in the playoffs, and that kind of hurt.

2014-15 NFL Playoffs
@ Seattle Seahawks 28, Green Bay Packers 22 (NFC Championship)

HOW HARD IS IT TO CATCH AN ON-SIDE KICK? COME THE gently caress ON! I guess the Packers' special teams felt bad that it was always the defense that ended up imploding in the playoffs, and so decided it was their turn to gently caress things over royally.

That said, if the Packers don't gently caress up a winnable game earlier in the season in Buffalo, they have home field in this game, and I don't think they lose to the Seahawks if the Seahawks don't get to play in their gimmick stadium. No wall of sound, no wins! I will say, in terms of a mitigating factor, that what makes this bearable is that even though the Packers lost this game in the dumbest way possible (had they recovered the on-side kick, Rodgers could grind that clock into dust, and that's that), the fact that the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl the way they did means that I'm probably not going to have to hear about it nearly as much as I would have had they gone on to win the Super Bowl. At least, that's my assumption. I don't think that "The Drive" and "The Fumble", for example, mean as much in Denver as they do in Cleveland, because in Denver, those were miracle moments that led to the Broncos getting ritually murdered in the Super Bowl, while in Cleveland, they linger because Cleveland doesn't have much else to think about in terms of sports memories. At least, that's my hope.

Also, if all goes well, it will be part of a long game to get the Seahawks to have an irrational amount of confidence in Russell Wilson. And given how Super Bowl LXIX ended, it looks like it's already paying dividends. Yes, Seahawks, Russell Wilson is a man you should have total confidence in. Given him all the money, and trust him to carry your offense, it will work. Oh yes, it will certainly work.

2007-08 NFL Playoffs
New York Giants 23, @ Green Bay Packers 20 (NFC Championship)

The end of the Favre era, which ended the only way it really could, him throwing an interception leading to the Packers blowing a home playoff game with a Super Bowl berth on the line. Now, you might ask whether I think that the 2007 Packers were really capable of beating the 2007 Patriots, and well, yes, that is a rather large problem with me wanting them to win this game, because if the Packers did win, then I'm not sure that they can stop the Patriots, and if the Patriots had finished the season with a perfect record, we would all still be hearing about it eight years later, and I wonder if it would have all been worth it.

Of course, that's obvious now, but how the hell was I supposed to have figured that out at the time?

The other thing that gives me pause is if this game doesn't end the way it does, then I'm not sure that the Packers and Packers fans are quite as ready to dump Favre overboard during the offseason and hand things over the Rodgers. And if they didn't do it before the 2008 season, I can see them trading Rodgers to another team for picks or something because they wouldn't realize what they had, and that's a scary thought that I don't really want to think about. Really, this loss was very painful at the time, but for the good of the Packers, and all mankind, except for Pats fans, the Packers had to lose this game.

2003 MLB Playoffs
Florida Marlins d. Chicago Cubs (4-3) (NLCS)

Still hurts. It hurts because the Cubs could have won the World Series, since the 2003 Yankees weren't exactly a juggernaut. It hurts because looking back on it, you can see how the 2003 Cubs didn't have much staying power. Too many innings on arms that were too young. An offense made mainly of old guys nearing the ends of their careers. A trade tha sent noted savior Mark Bellhorn out of town. (I suppose had Dusty Baker not insisted that Bellhorn be sent far away from the Cubs, then the Cubs never won have traded for Aramis Ramirez, who was the better player).

Plus, it's the Marlins. They're basically a ponzi scheme designed as a baseball team. They have no real fans, and the owner basically uses them to get the government of Miami to give him money and stadiums and stuff. And he's going to make Giancarlo Stanton spend most of his career in baseball hell, which is sad.

I guess the moral is that I've seen much worse playoff defeats than what is currently happening in St. Louis.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Comrade, your pitchers are accused of counter-revolutionary pitching.

Analysis

Same as it ever was.

Analysis

Now that we've seen what Jim Scott can do, let's not see it anymore.

Analysis

Are the Oranges jobbers? Because only jobbers lose to the Jobbers!

Analysis

This season has been a bust, but there will be a next season in the Super-League for this team.

Analysis

PULL UP! PULL UP!

Analysis

The eterna-quest to third place continues.

Analysis

Time to prove you've got what it takes, kid! You show those Oranges who's the real jobber!

Analysis

Man, the Doom would be in trouble if they rest of their division weren't so terrible.

Analysis

I will see the Burnt Doritos shattered and broken...like a dorito...

Analysis

I'm assuming you're still recovering from deathitis.

Analysis

Better, but remember, getting past the Crows isn't enough. Unless it is. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with the extra spot in the Super-League.

Analysis

Huh. Meyeux did hit another home run.

Analysis

ANGER!

Analysis

I don't know. I just don't know.

Analysis

The Bombers are going back to the wildcard game, probably. Woo!

Analysis

Someone has to win the Norris-Smythe Division. It might as well be you.

Analysis

This team is sabermetrically unsound on offense.

Analysis

Dead, but still dangerous.

Analysis

Getting swept by the Commission was not a good thing. But next week should be a lot easier.

Analysis

Kaat might not be the guy.

Analysis

This team could be pretty good with a full season of Pujols. If it survives.

Analysis

Johnson had 16 strikeouts in his first start. That, uh, might work out for your team after all.

Analysis

Well, at least this team is playing well now.

Standings

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Cochrane's back hooray

~Lineups~ (sorry smasher oh god)

vs RHP w/o DH:
1. Elmer Flick CF
2. Ted Williams RF
3. Eddie Collins 2B
4. Albert Pujols LF
5. Jimmie Foxx 1B
6. Ernie Banks SS
7. George Kell 3B
8. Mickey Cochrane C
P

vs LHP w/o DH:
1. Elmer Flick CF
2. Ted Williams RF
3. Albert Pujols LF
4. Jimmie Foxx 1B
5. Ernie Banks SS
6. Billy Herman 2B
7. George Kell 3B
8. Mickey Cochrane C
P

vs RHP w/ DH:
1. Elmer Flick RF
2. Ted Williams DH
3. Eddie Collins 2B
4. Albert Pujols LF
5. Mickey Cochrane C
6. Jimmie Foxx 1B
7. Willie Mays CF
8. Ernie Banks SS
9. George Kell 3B

vs LHP w/ DH:
1. Elmer Flick RF
2. Ted Williams DH
3. Albert Pujols LF
4. Jimmie Foxx 1B
5. Mickey Cochrane C
6. Willie Mays CF
7. Ernie Banks SS
8. Billy Herman 2B
9. George Kell 3B

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Bombers own.

Let's switch up the lineup, see if we can score a bit more.

vs. Both w/ DH:

code:
2B - Collins
CF - Hamilton
SS - Vaughan
LF - Bonds
DH - Ramirez
3B - Santo
1B - Foxx
RF - Jackson
C  - Torre (Berra catches for Grove)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monicro posted:

Cochrane's back hooray

~Lineups~ (sorry smasher oh god)

First of all, I don't think you are sorry.

Second, interleague play is over.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

First of all, I don't think you are sorry.

Second, interleague play is over.

Oh okay cool, I saw I have a road series at the beginning of August but i obviously couldn't see who it was so i wanted to be sure :shobon:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I feel like this is a good time to put forth the motion that, should the Jays be swept tonight, GVOLTT be made to re-choose his feeders lest I be triggered every EC update.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Blackhawks have won three stanley cups, gently caress off with this poo poo

When does all the newbie team stuff kick off?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

DOOP posted:

The Blackhawks have won three stanley cups, gently caress off with this poo poo

your memory will live on, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU