Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kojima took showering and smoking to pass the time from Deadly Premonition. I dunno why I didn't think (Deadly Premonition spoiler) that Kojima would also take the two different people twist as well. It's almost the inverse of Deadly Premonition.

Not to mention the red "reversed peace sign" on Paz's bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think it was reversed, it was just sarcastic.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Onmi posted:

Crappy webcomics time, I almost would have enjoyed a final chapter serving as a count down to the Outer Heaven incident like the Last days of Foxhound, the days counting down before Solid Snakes first mission. But that would be a whole involved thing.

Or. Dreamtime. the Outer Heaven incident.

The time between Phantom Pain and Metal Gear 1 could almost be its own game. You've got Big Boss building a nation in Zanzibar Land while Venom's building a fortress in South Africa. Plus at some point, Big Boss goes back to Cipher, and agrees to command his own clones. Miller for that matter too.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

It weirds me out how much Sunny looks like Quiet in that picture.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sunny is a reincarnation of both The Boss and Quiet, who have fused together to finally finish the bullshit Jack started.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

The time between Phantom Pain and Metal Gear 1 could almost be its own game. You've got Big Boss building a nation in Zanzibar Land while Venom's building a fortress in South Africa. Plus at some point, Big Boss goes back to Cipher, and agrees to command his own clones. Miller for that matter too.

Yeah sounds like a cool game can't wait to pla- *sigh*

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Like how do they make a game involving Big Boss in the Middle East and not at some point mention why Sniper Wolf calls him Saladin?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Like how do they make a game involving Big Boss in the Middle East and not at some point mention why Sniper Wolf calls him Saladin?

Sniper wolf wasn't massively integral to mgs1 but almost every scene she was in gave her killer dialogue, I still remember her death monologue 16 years on.The way she talks about big boss saving her on the battlefield is so well voice acted, especially with a character model that doesn't have a moving mouth.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm glad that Kojima didn't lean on MGS1 any more than he did because Eli and Mantis were the worst parts of MGSV's story.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Because she's Kurdish. You know who Big Boss is. Now Google Saladin and the mystery will be totally solved

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

And also, cuz this game doesn't involve Big Boss in the Middle East :p

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't think you could reasonably expect Kojima to give Sniper Wolf a cameo -- she'd have to show up as the focal point of a mission where you find her killing Russian soldiers with a pack of wolves or something.

Makes you wonder though: who actually saved Wolf? Venom, or Boss?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Colapops posted:

I don't think you could reasonably expect Kojima to give Sniper Wolf a cameo -- she'd have to show up as the focal point of a mission where you find her killing Russian soldiers with a pack of wolves or something.

It was Saladin snake.....

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Colapops posted:

Everything was Venom, Big Boss was in the States drinking Mai Tais, and that's how i choose to accept the events of the series :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Venom and Naked are both Big Boss, and Big Boss is both of them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, if Venom starts building in Galzburg, Africa, what happens to the MASSIVE oil rig fortress we've all just built in the middle of the indian ocean?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

So, if Venom starts building in Galzburg, Africa, what happens to the MASSIVE oil rig fortress we've all just built in the middle of the indian ocean?

They move it to Manhattan and rename it Big Shell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Last thing he does before leaving is open up all the cages on the animal preserve, then just leaves them to it. It becomes their new refuge, a small ecosystem where animals use their natural instincts to survive as they would in the wild, but in a microcosm full of anime posters and 1984 references and half-finished metal gears. It becomes... their outer heaven. *woaaaah HOOAAAHHH*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A reveal that Mother Base's struts are designed to move and "walk" Mother Base around would be entirely in line with MGS mythology. Mother Base walks to South Africa, onto the land, and becomes the core of Outer Heaven.

Parts of this same core are later extracted to build Big Shell.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

it would be rad to have a game following Big Boss doing pure sneak stuff at the same time as TPP. Just have some silly mechanic to hide your identity but instead of base management its more like the traditional MGS games but with the open world mechanics.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
OK so Miller is secretly blind the whole time and Huey doesn't recognize you at first. There's that random guard conversation about how no one knows exactly what Big Boss looks like. And after mission 46, you can play as Snake with your original face instead of Snake's face-- you'll still have the horn and scars, and during cutscenes you'll still have your own face instead of being swapped back to Snake like when you play as a combat team member. And in the only two places where you can see a reflective surface-- the ACC window and the ending of 46-- you see your original face.

Is all this because you "actually" look like your custom face the whole time?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

OK so Miller is secretly blind the whole time and Huey doesn't recognize you at first. There's that random guard conversation about how no one knows exactly what Big Boss looks like. And after mission 46, you can play as Snake with your original face instead of Snake's face-- you'll still have the horn and scars, and during cutscenes you'll still have your own face instead of being swapped back to Snake like when you play as a combat team member. And in the only two places where you can see a reflective surface-- the ACC window and the ending of 46-- you see your original face.

Is all this because you "actually" look like your custom face the whole time?

That doesn't really make sense with the plastic surgery aspect of mission 46...

I think it's probably more that the cutscenes show snake as he sees himself, which post-truth is as Medic.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sorry if it's been covered, but something that's been bugging me this whole time, wasn't there radio dialogue in MG2:SS about Big Boss having all kinds of cybernetic upgrades as a result of his injuries in Outer Heaven?

Prior to the post-credits timeline, I totally figured it made more sense for Big Boss to have been the one in Outer Heaven and Venom to be the one in Zanzibar Land.

God, this whole twist really might be the dumbest thing in the series for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

VagueRant posted:

Sorry if it's been covered, but something that's been bugging me this whole time, wasn't there radio dialogue in MG2:SS about Big Boss having all kinds of cybernetic upgrades as a result of his injuries in Outer Heaven?

Prior to the post-credits timeline, I totally figured it made more sense for Big Boss to have been the one in Outer Heaven and Venom to be the one in Zanzibar Land.

God, this whole twist really might be the dumbest thing in the series for me.

its a joke about how in the nes mg2 they made big boss a cyborg

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So far the most entertaining method I've used to boost MB morale has been knocking out my guards and using the water pistol to wet their crotches before I wake them up. Driving around MB with a jeep full of tranq'd/KO'd staff was also gun until I over-estimated a Soviet AA gun's ability to not explode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Snak posted:

A reveal that Mother Base's struts are designed to move and "walk" Mother Base around would be entirely in line with MGS mythology. Mother Base walks to South Africa, onto the land, and becomes the core of Outer Heaven.

Sigint sees MB walking around the ocean and thinks "what if I made that except also it controlled the internet"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Snak posted:

While it's walking it collides with the walking city of Morioh from the non-canon Jojo's Bizarre Adventure spinoff novel, Jorge Joestar.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wouldn't Sniper Wolf by like 1 during TPP? Granted this is Kojima we're talking about, but still...

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah sounds like a cool game can't wait to pla- *sigh*

At least we're getting pachinko. That's just as good as... as...

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 12, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Wouldn't Sniper Wolf by like 1 during TPP? Granted this is Kojima we're talking about, but still...

She'd be 1 to 8 years old according to the wikia

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

EngineerSean posted:

If they destroyed the non-regional diction that they probably played over the tapes, or maybe a Midwestern accent, it'd still be pretty devastating. If you were a Texan, how would you ever know you would never speak a word that triggered the parasites?
While I get that, in that case I'm not sure why they made a specific parasite strain for an obscure dialect of Hungarian, except that it would just happen to prevent Skull Face from speaking his native tongue and thus cause him maximal angst. I can see them making a Hungarian strain, sure, but why a substrain?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nakar posted:

While I get that, in that case I'm not sure why they made a specific parasite strain for an obscure dialect of Hungarian, except that it would just happen to prevent Skull Face from speaking his native tongue and thus cause him maximal angst. I can see them making a Hungarian strain, sure, but why a substrain?

Metal Gear!?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont get that he was infected with a hungarian strain that caused him to lose his mother tongue. It was his removal from his homeland at a young age.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SynthOrange posted:

I dont get that he was infected with a hungarian strain that caused him to lose his mother tongue. It was his removal from his homeland at a young age.

I think in that 12 minute tape with Code Talker where he's ringing the bells he says specifically that the parasites keep him from speaking his mother tongue.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
He still speaks Hungarian, he means more that metaphorically he was required by his various masters to learn and use their language over his own. But the Code Talker tapes also reveal he can't speak Hungarian anymore because he has a parasite strain that responds to his particular Hungarian dialect. Code Talker deduces this somehow or other and Skull Face confirms it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I just realized that the marine commander in the tanker is fortune's dad.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how the US marines under his command felt about a romanian dude dropping by his quarters every so often for some butt-fuckin'.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When Snake is trying to log in to the terminal to upload the pictures, the login that works is "Scott", and the password is six letters long. Fortune's real name is "Helena", six letters long. I always liked that little detail :unsmith:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nanomashoes posted:

I just realized that the marine commander in the tanker is fortune's dad.

he gay too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

At least we're getting pachinko. That's just as good as... as...

It's ok we'll just use our imagination.......holy poo poo you won't BELIEVE what ocelot just did, I need to write this poo poo down......on a fanfiction page........(this is how it always starts)

• Locked thread