Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Airborne Viking posted:

This isn't bullshit. A comedian that laughs at his own jokes too often is loving annoying. Not being able to hold off a laugh from time to time can be hilarious. There's a huge difference.
To this day one of my all time favorite segments of any show was Colbert trying to keep a straight face for the "Suq Madiq" segment and ultimately just cracking up out of character and not being able to control himself be cause of how funny he found it/knew it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SourKraut posted:

To this day one of my all time favorite segments of any show was Colbert trying to keep a straight face for the "Suq Madiq" segment and ultimately just cracking up out of character and not being able to control himself be cause of how funny he found it/knew it would be.

Suq Madiq was awesome. I'm partial to the Prince Charles/banana segment on TDS; I think it's the gold standard for Colbert breaking. I literally watch it like once a month or so just as a pick-me-up.

"You know...."

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 9, 2015

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

How could you jinx us like that, Stephen????

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

SourKraut posted:

This might be well known knowledge, but they apparently used a photo of Stephen's Mother-in-Law for that (might as well link the bit for the benefit of everyone else).

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Suq Madiq was awesome. I'm partial to the Prince Charles/banana segment on TDS; I think it's the gold standard for Colbert breaking. I literally watch it like once a month or so just as a pick-me-up.

"Ohhh, you know...."
I never saw the whole thing until you mentioned it, and I'm glad I did.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Phew, that episode was a lot stronger than the last. Trevor's take on Monopoly was funny, they had way better material for tearing into the world's worst brain surgeon and Hassan's segment was really interesting and had a great ending. And Trevor only did the giggle thing once!

Maddow interview was basically fun too, but I find her disingenuous and don't like her much, so...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

Phew, that episode was a lot stronger than the last. Trevor's take on Monopoly was funny, they had way better material for tearing into the world's worst brain surgeon and Hassan's segment was really interesting and had a great ending. And Trevor only did the giggle thing once!

Maddow interview was basically fun too, but I find her disingenuous and don't like her much, so...

Did we watch the same episode? I think I completely missed the Monopoly thing.

I LOVED Trevor's subtle throwback in his joke to Murdoch about Twitter though. That was great and made me laugh out loud at work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fart blood posted:

Did we watch the same episode? I think I completely missed the Monopoly thing.

Bit about how americans love jail so much they put it on their board games.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh god, I forgot about the "ohhhh...twitter comments" bit!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
oh my loving god i cannot wait until monday

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm being naive, hoping this hurts his polling.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's even funnier because the Nazis actually loosened gun control laws considerably, for everyone except jews.

That whole HITLAR TOOK ARE GUNZ thing is a very persistent myth parroted by the right.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IRQ posted:

It's even funnier because the Nazis actually loosened gun control laws considerably, for everyone except jews.

That whole HITLAR TOOK ARE GUNZ thing is a very persistent myth parroted by the right.

And even before the laws were pretty liberal for hunting weapons, meaning if you weren't someone not deemed an upstanding citizen and if you were male you probably had a rifle at home if you could afford it and thought it useful. It's such a bullshit talking point, spewed by people who wouldn't find Germany on a map of Europe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm being naive, hoping this hurts his polling.

Herman Cain went down eventually and he didn't say poo poo half as dumb as what Carson is bringing (granted it took a sexual harassment scandal to destroy him once and for all).
And at least Cain was entertaining, at least he brought Pokemon to the table and had those amazing interviews with John Oliver.
But then again, we are dealing with a far crazier right wing than in '08 or '12.

Still, I'm confident the GOP has no intention of actually pushing this clown. Probably not unless it comes to a gun-to-my-head situation between him and Trump, like the kind of thing that got Romney pushed as the candid...ohhhh...oh no.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Still, I'm confident the GOP has no intention of actually pushing this clown. Probably not unless it comes to a gun-to-my-head situation between him and Trump, like the kind of thing that got Romney pushed as the candid...ohhhh...oh no.

I think the days when we could assume that there's a shadowy cabal of smokey back room shot callers running the GOP are gone. Nobody is driving the clown car these days.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Carson spoke at my graduation and its so strange to see him now. Aside from crazy view points, the way he speaks is drastically different. He was very passionate and engaging, telling stories about the first time attempting various surgeries (not his first time, the first time anyone had attempted!) and about his life and career. He only briefly mentioned his faith, and more as a secondary thing, not a preachy thing (I think it was something about how he got over some difficulty, that he reflected and prayed). So to see him now, speaking in such a mundane, almost bored fashion and looking drugged half the time espousing crazy non-sense that you would think a renowned surgeon would find ridiculous, its like a completely different person.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

raditts posted:

But then again, we are dealing with a far crazier right wing than in '08 or '12.

It's hard to believe that there was recently a time where I didn't think it would get any more nuts than Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan...and here we are with Ben Carson and loving Donald Trump.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think I am legitimately in love with Trevor's Carson impression. It may even be tied with Jon's Jersey accent (which I also loved).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

swickles posted:

Carson spoke at my graduation and its so strange to see him now. Aside from crazy view points, the way he speaks is drastically different. He was very passionate and engaging, telling stories about the first time attempting various surgeries (not his first time, the first time anyone had attempted!) and about his life and career. He only briefly mentioned his faith, and more as a secondary thing, not a preachy thing (I think it was something about how he got over some difficulty, that he reflected and prayed). So to see him now, speaking in such a mundane, almost bored fashion and looking drugged half the time espousing crazy non-sense that you would think a renowned surgeon would find ridiculous, its like a completely different person.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing as I met him once back when I still went to church.
It's also bizarre comparing what he wrote about his childhood experiences compared to how he toms it up at every possible opportunity now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I personally can't wait for The Daily Show when Jeb! gets so desperate that his campaign drags Dubya back into the spotlight to campaign for him.

Trump, Carson, Cruz, and Fiorina may all be terrible but the most viable "establishment brand" candidate the Republicans have is someone whose election would vindicate the Bush/Cheney era.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just realized that the separate networks means that The Daily Show and Colbert will probably no longer go on breaks at the same time, meaning we won't be upset when a politician does something hilarious and there's nobody good to comment on it..

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Charles Martel posted:

It's hard to believe that there was recently a time where I didn't think it would get any more nuts than Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan...and here we are with Ben Carson and loving Donald Trump.

Imagine how crazy 2019 is going to be.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan weren't "nuts" in the same way Trump and the gang are, but the revolving door of GOP frontrunners was.

Off the top of my head that included Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann (who won the Ames poll), Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum (who won Iowa). It was also the election we first got to see Rick Perry (who went in as neo-Dubya with a lot of superPAC support) crash and burn. Oops.

As terrible as every single thing Ben Carson is saying, I can't say he's more entertaining than Bachmann and Cain were. Remember, Herman Cain gave us the slow smile.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I mean there's really no comparison, imo Herman Cain was an even greater fount of beauty and humor than Trump (people have been doing Trump jokes forever, it's kinda whatever even with the new material, his voice, his hair, his poo poo about money, his racism, Cain was more unpredictable in a fun way).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnU1XT8bu4

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

swickles posted:

I guess its the transformation of becoming a politician (or whatever encouragement he received on becoming more politically active)? So going from a profession he was personally passionate about (being a Doctor does typically require dedication and all) and well informed by experience, to someone who kinda has to wring together something out of what he vaguely knows so as to appeal to perceived demographics.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I personally can't wait for The Daily Show when Jeb! gets so desperate that his campaign drags Dubya back into the spotlight to campaign for him.

I'm pretty sure George is going to just be hidden away and painting his feet for the foreseeable future.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm pretty sure George is going to just be hidden away and painting his feet for the foreseeable future.
The New York Times reported (at least a week ago) that the Jeb! campaign was seriously considering having Dubya openly campaign for him because Jeb is like 5th place.

It's pretty terrible for an establishment brand candidate. When Jeb decided to run, he was probably betting on getting his coronation at the Republican Convention after the primary voters stopped flirting with all the other front-runners of the week. (Not unlike how Romney did it four years ago.) But Trump still has his staying power and his three closest rivals all are not strongly tied to Bush/Cheney-era Republican orthodoxy.

Can you imagine what happens if W resurfaces? Trump (somehow to his credit) has already called removing Saddam Hussein from power one of the biggest mistakes the U.S. has made recently. I'd love to see what happens when Trump starts attacking Bushes more directly.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh yeah I mean there's really no comparison, imo Herman Cain was an even greater fount of beauty and humor than Trump (people have been doing Trump jokes forever, it's kinda whatever even with the new material, his voice, his hair, his poo poo about money, his racism, Cain was more unpredictable in a fun way).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnU1XT8bu4

This is Herman Cain's finest moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQv5sEVXyU

Oliver's reaction at how he just goes right into his speech like he does it every day just elevates it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Echo Chamber posted:

The New York Times reported (at least a week ago) that the Jeb! campaign was seriously considering having Dubya openly campaign for him because Jeb is like 5th place.

It's pretty terrible for an establishment brand candidate. When Jeb decided to run, he was probably betting on getting his coronation at the Republican Convention after the primary voters stopped flirting with all the other front-runners of the week. (Not unlike how Romney did it four years ago.) But Trump still has his staying power and his three closest rivals all are not strongly tied to Bush/Cheney-era Republican orthodoxy.

Can you imagine what happens if W resurfaces? Trump (somehow to his credit) has already called removing Saddam Hussein from power one of the biggest mistakes the U.S. has made recently. I'd love to see what happens when Trump starts attacking Bushes more directly.

Romney still got chewed up in the primary and limped into the general. Bush was trying to avoid the entire dick punching escapade that is the GOP Primary by destroying everyone in the silent primary of fund raising and endorsements. This has not worked and now he has to contemplate doing things that feed the GOP primary demons at the cost of his general campaign soul. W remains popular with the GOP primary voter, because the GOP primary voter is now in large part a terrifying entity of hatred and rage.

Now JEB! must decide whether to use the dark powers of his who's who cabal of GOP evil that he was going to try and sneak past the voters to boost his primary numbers. Aside from his brother and Cheney, there's this:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gyges posted:

W remains popular with the GOP primary voter, because the GOP primary voter is now in large part a terrifying entity of hatred and rage.

This is so baffling, because it makes me wonder if these people remember anything before 2009. Wasn't Bush's approval rating at like 19% at the end of his term?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

raditts posted:

This is so baffling, because it makes me wonder if these people remember anything before 2009. Wasn't Bush's approval rating at like 19% at the end of his term?

They more or less make up that 19%. Remember, we're talking about the people who show up and vote in the GOP Primary, not the average GOP voter or sometimes voter.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
One of Barack Obama's greatest legacies will be how popular George Bush has become since BO took office.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

This is Herman Cain's finest moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQv5sEVXyU

Oliver's reaction at how he just goes right into his speech like he does it every day just elevates it.

You just know he's had that in his back pocket since he saw Independence Day.

Which is why there will never be another candidate quite like Herman Cain.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I see that you forgot that Obama is black.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I see that you forgot that Obama is black.

Well, in my defense it is hard to keep track of whether Obama is bad for America because he's too black, half black, not black enough, or not a "real black" like Ben Carson.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Echo Chamber posted:

Know what? Do it. Nostalgia is all the rage these days. Theres nothing you can do to make the primaries in general more of a poo poo show.

Did we even see Dubya during the 2012 election? I cant remember.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, in my defense it is hard to keep track of whether Obama is bad for America because he's too black, half black, not black enough, or not a "real black" like Ben Carson.

It's hard for all of us to keep track of. Since he doesn't drive his own car these days the capitol police just don't know who to shoot when they see him rolling by.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cole posted:

One of Barack Obama's greatest legacies will be how popular George Bush has become since BO took office.

It happens to every president after they leave office. Even Nixon.

Now if JEB! pulls out W to campaign for him, that'll probably change. Most of the increase in popularity of ex-presidents is that nobody is thinking about them anymore and people forget why they loving hated the guy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So Noah for me has hit the point where I appreciate his comedy enough to put up with episodes that don't land.

The Twee girl accent followed by the disclaimer announcer voice were just great. For me at least confirmations that he can really do some unique things when there is a script for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gyges posted:

It happens to every president after they leave office. Even Nixon.

Now if JEB! pulls out W to campaign for him, that'll probably change. Most of the increase in popularity of ex-presidents is that nobody is thinking about them anymore and people forget why they loving hated the guy.

Yeah, pretty much every ex-President does public/private speaking gigs for tons of money, and then has a few charities (some more than others) to give him that PR bump. Jimmy Carter even has the moniker of "best ex-President" because of all his philanthropy, and Clinton has gone full force with developing world improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Roy Wood is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

Otherwise though, one of the first times I've actually sat through an interview. I knew of Coates prior due to his associations with some of the people I follow on Twitter, as well as his recent placement as writer of the Black Panther comic, and though I don't directly follow him, he's demonstrated some fairly interesting and nuanced thoughts.

• Locked thread