Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

point of return posted:

The "moderate" Republicans still have more in common with the Tortilla Coasters than they do with any Democrat hth

Not in the sense that they want complete and unabashed gridlock. So I think they have the numbers to actually vote for a Speaker and not shut down the government, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Clinton hasn't release a criminal justice position paper yet while Bernie has, but don't let that get in the way of claiming she has firm positions on it and he doesn't

I mean, other than regularly speaking about what she would like to do and having the specific issues she'd like to focus on on her website, she doesn't have any firm positions on it.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Dahbadu posted:

I agree that there are areas of gun control that are less divisive. I would argue that it isn't against the realm of possibility to come up with a palatable AWB law or adjust the framing on the issue so it's more palatable to gun owners that aren't single-issue voters.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But yes, basically you're saying what I was trying to get at. The AWB is a bad law full of gibberish terminology and a lot of gun owners justifiably view advocacy for it as a sign that said advocate is demagoguing the issue and not presenting a serious policy position. Bernie is better than that; everywhere else he has real positions, not bullshit.

There's no reality where I'm not voting for Sanders (landsman), but if Sanders signed into law a federal AWB that was as bad as 94's, but preempted the SAFE Act in NYS, I would be thrilled. I imagine gun owners in California would feel the same way.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

How many students need to die before you reconsider your undying devotion to death machines? What projections are we looking at here? Tri-weekly?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venom Snake posted:

How many students need to die before you reconsider your undying devotion to death machines? What projections are we looking at here? Tri-weekly?

welp I'll see y'all in November then.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not in the sense that they want complete and unabashed gridlock. So I think they have the numbers to actually vote for a Speaker and not shut down the government, at least.

Their conflict is tactical, not strategic. They're political goals are entirely aligned with the FC folks. It's important to remember that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Venom Snake posted:

How many students need to die before you reconsider your undying devotion to death machines?

1000, more or less, and teachers don't count

250,000 dead kids

http://www.theonion.com/article/nra-sets-1000-killed-in-school-shooting-as-amount--28352

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Venom Snake posted:

there's no amount of blood that's equal to the sacred value of owning a device allowing for the launching of lead projectiles. Every person on Earth other than LeJackal could die of gun violence, and LeJackal would sit alone amid the carnage, hugging his gun, and muttering to himself "oh buddy, this wasn't your fault". A bird would land next to them, and he would say to the bird "this really happened because there weren't enough guns, you know". The bird would not respond, being a bird, and not a member of the near-extinct human race.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I believe the estimates were recently revised upwards to "at least 7 billion, maybe 8, and you have to kill them all in the same 6 hour period".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Venom Snake posted:

Well since he fears for his personal life, I'd assume all of them.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

It varies by state for primary rules and county party rules for powers allotted to the chairman, so I'd have to look through all of them to see if they could just straight up do it.

But they can all eject them from the local party, have their people whip against nomination papers, deny them a place on the recommended candidate card, deny funding and party resources, and sue for using the party name/logo/brand without authorization, which has the same effect.

Fried Chicken posted:

He was also responsible for whipping for signing nomination papers, passing the preferred candidate cards, and got a vote at the party convention. Coordinating those is how you boot someone out

Aren't a lot of local parties run by Tea Partiers though? I mean the people who show up at conventions, who are willing to spend 2 hours/month in boring committee meetings, who help canvass or sign ballot access petitions, etc. are precisely the passionate super-conservative types. I'm not sure that a Purge like that wouldn't backfire massively on the Republicans and get that to happen to a bunch of non-Tortilla-Coasters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Steve Jobs may have survived had he listened to his doctors and not went after holistic cancer cures. Thanks Obama.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

Steve Jobs may have survived had he listened to his doctors and not went after holistic cancer cures. Thanks Obama.

And also the rat's nest of supplements.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It is morally good and fitting that Steve Jobs was felled by his own hubris.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Same.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nintendo Kid posted:

:agreed:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is a mix of schadenfreude and sad.

solid thread title.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Man-on-far-North-Side-mistakes-wife-for-intruder-6563251.php

quote:

A man shot his wife to death in their home early Saturday on the far North Side because he thought she was an intruder, according to the San Antonio Police Department. Debora Kelly, 48, was pronounced dead after she was shot after 4 a.m. in the 3500 block of Bent Hollow. North of Loop 1604 near Evans and Bulverde roads. Kelly's husband, whose name has not been released publicly, told police he heard noises coming from the front of the house and saw a flash of light. He thought someone was trying to break into the house, so he got a shotgun and fired one round at the supposed intruder. Police said the man then realized he had shot his wife. Kelly had a gunshot wound to the upper body, according to police. Officers tried to resuscitate her, but emergency medical technicians pronounced her dead on the scene. The man was being interviewed by detectives Saturday morning. He had not been charged as of 9 a.m., but charges could be filed as the investigation proceeds, police said. As of Saturday afternoon, SAPD spokesman officer Douglas Greene said police haven't ruled anything out yet as detectives are still examining the scene. "Our investigators are very particular on preserving the scene to bring together pieces of the puzzle and see if it lines up with the statements of shooter," Greene said.

Another good guy with a gun saves the day!

:patriot:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Does anyone have a good link to the number of mass shootings in the US for the last few decades? There seems to be several that throw out around 70 but then a Guardian article I saw claimed over a 1,000. I know it depends on the definition of mass shooting, and I'm looking for the one that's closer to 1,000 so I can see if their definition is too vague.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kalman posted:

I mean, other than regularly speaking about what she would like to do and having the specific issues she'd like to focus on on her website, she doesn't have any firm positions on it.

The speeches that keep changing and just Thursday had her telling activists that this was something that needed to be done on the local level, not federal and not the preview of the president? Those speeches?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

solid thread title.

About time for another change anyways, I think we've had the current one the longest this month so far

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

About time for another change anyways, I think we've had the current one the longest this month so far

But should we change now or wait until the Democratic debate on Tuesday?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

The speeches that keep changing and just Thursday had her telling activists that this was something that needed to be done on the local level, not federal and not the preview of the president? Those speeches?

That's not the impression I got from that interview, but I suppose that is one interpretation.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

McAlister posted:

Links?

The first I saw him address it was in his response to ferguson where he point blank was asked if the problem was the arms or the way the police were using them and answered that the weapons were just fine. No need to disarm.

The video in which he says this is still hosted by him on his senate web site. So I'm inclined to assume he still holds this stance.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/video-audio/ferguson

At 2:15 he is asked "is it the equipment or the use of the equipment that is the problem?" And answered unequivocally that the equipment is peachy keen but the police shouldn't be deploying it this way.

Several people on the Internet have assured me that their head-cannon Bernie is just as far left as Reality-Clinton is in terms of demilitarizing the police but all I've seen from reality-Bernie is the opposite.

Has Clinton and/or BLM "dragged" him to the left on this topic since I last checked it?

Oh and someone asked about debates. First one is coming up on the 13th.

In that video, he says police departments should have SWAT-caliber weaponry to combat drug dealers, presumably he means people who can fight back with automatic weapons and the like. He also says the equipment should not be used against protestors as it was in Ferguson. He supports cutting the budgets for that kind of equipment and putting the money into a jobs program instead.

It's part of his platform, under Addressing Physical Violence: https://berniesanders.com/issues/racial-justice/

Something Else fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 12, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Gun control is a feminist issue. About 1/3 of female murder victims aged 12 or older are killed by an intimate partner. We see spree shooters specifically target women, and express misogynist views and male entitlement

http://opdv.ny.gov/statistics/nationaldvdata/intparthom.html
http://www.bustle.com/articles/115068-why-gun-control-is-a-feminist-issue-because-mass-shootings-disproportionately-target-women

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

All gun owners are in a perpetual state of being a good guy with a gun until they commit a crime at which point the waveform collapses and it turns out they were a bad guy with a gun all along.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

You mean when she pointed out that the federal government constitutionally doesn't have the police power and can't directly affect it? I am okay with having a president that recognizes that there are limits on what can be done directly and what ultimately does have to be done on the local level when those limits are basic elements of our constitution.

(And hey, Campaign Zero agrees with her that successful reform will involve federal, state, and local efforts, but you go ahead and keep believing that that's somehow a negative.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

1stGear posted:

All gun owners are in a perpetual state of being a good guy with a gun until they commit a crime at which point the waveform collapses and it turns out they were a bad guy with a gun all along.

This is the theory known as Schrodinger's Gun.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But should we change now or wait until the Democratic debate on Tuesday?

This thrad is going to be more unreadable than gunchat after Tuesday isn't?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

This thrad is going to be more unreadable than gunchat after Tuesday isn't?

Nah, turns out Tuesday's debate timing was chosen to make sure nobody could watch it. Thanks DWS!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So is Biden gonna jump into the race or what? Also, why isn't everyone and their mother pushing Biden to enter the race?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Geoff Peterson posted:

Nah, turns out Tuesday's debate timing was chosen to make sure nobody could watch it. Thanks DWS!

Haha what the gently caress? It's the same sort of timing as the Republican debates have been!

Sucrose posted:

So is Biden gonna jump into the race or what? Also, why isn't everyone and their mother pushing Biden to enter the race?

Almost certainly not. Because he can't win and also Christ dude the man is grieving.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sucrose posted:

1. Horserace

2. He's an establishment pick that's not Hillary.

3. A lot of the media hates Hillary.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Clinton's raw and sustained contempt of the press is one of her best qualities, to be frank.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Clinton's raw and sustained contempt of the press is one of her best qualities, to be frank.

It's funny because it's one of the most human and non-soulless-politician properties that a person could have, but it's also led to her being popularly seen as an inhuman soulless politician.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
any right thinking human should have a basic contempt for political reporters, tbh

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've said this in the past, but I really would appreciate it if you guys would stop being mean to guns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

Almost certainly not. Because he can't win and also Christ dude the man is grieving.

I'm almost suprised he hasn't flipped out at someone asking him for the billion time, being told to get over your grief and run an unnecessary campaign would piss me off to no end.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Haha what the gently caress? It's the same sort of timing as the Republican debates have been!

Biden can't win? Why not? If Hillary can win, Biden can most certainly win, he's better liked. And the Republican side is all jokers.

Come on Democratic Party, you can't do this to me. I'd like Sanders to win, but I know he can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volcott posted:

I've said this in the past, but I really would appreciate it if you guys would stop being mean to guns.

I just slammed a gun into a locker.

Sucrose posted:

Biden can't win? Why not? If Hillary can win, Biden can most certainly win, he's better liked. And the Republican side is all jokers.

In 2008 Biden couldn't win a single state against Clinton or Obama during his primary campaign - he gave up when he placed 5th in Iowa, behind fuckin' Edwards and Bill Richardson. Why's he going to do any better in this primary campaign? Especially waiting until like 3 weeks before the first democratic primary deadlines to start running?

Why force him to go through the pain of another campaign where he won't win?

• Locked thread