Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Parrotine posted:

Why do some posters consider Fox's devil fruit ability overpowered? It felt more gimmicky to me than anything else.

Someone explain this tin foil hat reasoning to me :tinfoil:

It'd be a one-hit kill if he wasn't so weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Foxy's fruit is another in the long list of "Would be hilariously broken if it wasn't tied to the worst person imaginable," much like the samurai dude who can literally create anything he can draw, but he's a loving terrible artist and his creations are mishapen abominations begging for death.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
His dragon was pretty cute, though.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cracked did an article that used a lot of examples from One Piece

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-fans-get-so-defensive-over-anime/

I laughed at the quick jab at Bleach

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

quote:

My taste in anime now is largely the same as it was when I was first exposed to Super Saiyan. If it features punching that is, in any way, faster or stronger or weirder than how a normal person would do it, I will watch at least 20 episodes worth of it without fail. This line of thinking extends to other forms of entertainment, which is why I consider The Raid and The Raid 2 to be the finest films of the last decade.

Yeah, this guy and me are pretty much on the same page.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Foxy is going to come back and Gin is going to be a member of his crew as well as Johnny and Yosaku.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parrotine posted:

Cracked did an article that used a lot of examples from One Piece

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-fans-get-so-defensive-over-anime/

I laughed at the quick jab at Bleach
Cracked is generally bad and this is the worst article I've seen on that site. Not pro-click, not pro-click at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Amateur-click

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat, who knew Cracked was so reviled around this part of the internet. Color me surprised!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's pretty interesting that most one piece fans have such a dislike for naruto and bleach. To be honest I never cared much for naruto and bleach either. Maybe it's because one piece often gets lumped in with them due to genre?
I guess one piece is a weird outlier that is also the most successful shonen series in existence.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Parrotine posted:

drat, who knew Cracked was so reviled around this part of the internet. Color me surprised!

It's more that that specific article is so terrible.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Whys foxy's freeze beam more over powered than any of the many people who can just blast you with earthquakes, fire, lava, lasers, electricity, the idea of dryness, wizard gun etc., killing you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Whys foxy's freeze beam more over powered than any of the many people who can just blast you with earthquakes, fire, lava, lasers, electricity, the idea of dryness, wizard gun etc., killing you.

boa hancock's fruit is a similarly broken skill but not quite as bad. there is a reason you'll never see either interact with someone extremely powerful

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Space-Bird posted:

It's pretty interesting that most one piece fans have such a dislike for naruto and bleach. To be honest I never cared much for naruto and bleach either. Maybe it's because one piece often gets lumped in with them due to genre?
I guess one piece is a weird outlier that is also the most successful shonen series in existence.

Maybe it's subjective, but the one dude I know in real life who reads manga and I chat about with sometimes was a big Naruto fan, and I used to love Naruto until near the end when it just cratered straight into the floor and had a lovely Final Fantasy bossfight happen.

Bleach got us all. I'd seriously question if there is anyone who isn't a 14 year old still reading it out of genuine enjoyment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's a projected particle that can be bounced off of shiny objects and effectively freezes you in place for a short period of time. Outside of lasers and electricity, it's probably the hardest to dodge and should you fail to dodge it severely undercuts any amount of tanking you can usually do for the other attacks.

Additionally, Foxy can use it to do things like ride cannon balls or even potentially turn liquids and gasses into temporary solids. Also it's a pretty OP defense since just about any attack can be frozen before it hits him as well. If Foxy wasn't a goofy comic relief character he'd be a top tier boss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Space-Bird posted:

Fans of Bleach and Naruto have previously looked down on One Piece in certain circles, so One Piece proving to be massively popular and beloved while Bleach flounders and Naruto sputters out probably stirs up emotions of bitter vindication in some folks.

Not saying that's how it is for everybody, but I've seen enough individual people do this to notice a trend.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Having been a fan of all three at various points it's pretty simple. Naruto starts out pretty whatever, starts to get cool when it starts introducing more of the other Genin and their cool fighting styles, then starts to poo poo the bed shortly after the time skip when nobody other than Naruto and Sasuke do anything important aside from one or two exceptions like Shikamaru beating Hidan and some of the side characters getting fights during the war arc. Bleach starts off really interesting and cool, then escalates with the Soul Society arc which a ton of people liked a lot (though I've seen plenty of dissenting opinions on that as well) before declining into tedium once the Arrancar show up. It's had some really awesome moments since then but 95% of the time it's just boring and predictable. Kubo is a much better artist than writer.

One Piece on the other hand has managed to stay fairly consistent in its quality, it started off neat and only got more and more awesome as time went on. It's not perfect by any means, but the fact that it's as good as it is after 800 chapters is pretty drat impressive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he shoots you you're now moving glacially slow.

A couple of poisoned knives to the chest from there should be enough for most people.

A gun would good enough for most people. When you are not Luffy or can deflect the bullets Guns tend to be pretty effective in the one piece world.

Law was taken down by a gun even.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Bad Seafood posted:

Fans of Bleach and Naruto have previously looked down on One Piece in certain circles, so One Piece proving to be massively popular and beloved while Bleach flounders and Naruto sputters out probably stirs up emotions of bitter vindication in some folks.

Not saying that's how it is for everybody, but I've seen enough individual people do this to notice a trend.

Yeah I know what you mean. One piece certainly is less generically 'anime' looking than other series. I remember knowing people who were turned off by the art style... Which is kind of bonkers, since on a technical level it's probably one of the best weekly manga out there. (The anime on the other hand..... Well... That's why there is a manga thread and an anime thread I suppose)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Space-Bird posted:

For the longest time, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece were Shonen Jump's biggest names in the magazine. As such, a rivalry springing up between fanbases was inevitable and for a while, Bleach and Naruto held fast while One Piece had to struggle outside Japan thanks to factors like 4Kids screwing over the anime. Then around about 5-6 years ago, the former two began stumbling and slumping while One Piece kept on trucking forward at a continuous pace. It's not helped by One Piece managing to hold onto its readers (both in Japan and outside Japan), while Bleach and Naruto gradually lost readers over time (I'm a former Bleach and Naruto reader myself, and checked out of both after Aizen's painfully excruciatingly drawn out defeat and Itachi's death, respectively) as well as other titles taking their place such as Toriko in the big headliners. It's basically a story of how three massively popular series all took different paths once hitting the big time, and how people reacted to them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. One piece certainly is less generically 'anime' looking than other series. I remember knowing people who were turned off by the art style... Which is kind of bonkers, since on a technical level it's probably one of the best weekly manga out there. (The anime on the other hand..... Well... That's why there is a manga thread and an anime thread I suppose)

the art has improved drastically compared to how it was when it started, though i think a lot of that is down to him having assistants to fill out backgrounds

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually kinda wish he'd stuck with the original artstyle, or improved his skill while keeping that style. At the very least, with the women characters.

I prefer chapter one Shanks to the current Shanks, look-wise, for example. And don't get me started on Nami.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jose posted:

the art has improved drastically compared to how it was when it started, though i think a lot of that is down to him having assistants to fill out backgrounds

I definitely agree it got better, but even East Blue era one piece had some pretty dynamic art, perspective and pacing. The characters are rounder and more comic, for sure, but compared to Oda's Wanted stuff, I think it's still pretty dang good.

I never read much naruto, because it never really grabbed me, but I did check out the last few chapters when it was ending, and I was pretty stunned how empty and dashed off it seemed compared to a one piece chapter. Maybe kishimoto has no assistants? I don't know.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Space-Bird posted:

I definitely agree it got better, but even East Blue era one piece had some pretty dynamic art, perspective and pacing. The characters are rounder and more comic, for sure, but compared to Oda's Wanted stuff, I think it's still pretty dang good.

I never read much naruto, because it never really grabbed me, but I did check out the last few chapters when it was ending, and I was pretty stunned how empty and dashed off it seemed to a one piece chapter. Maybe kishimoto has no assistants? I don't know.

They were fighting in basically a void realm until the Sasuke vs Naruto fight.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think Water 7 was the pinnacle of Oda's art for me. Great line-work and he nailed always having the right amount of detail.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Kild posted:

They were fighting in basically a void realm until the Sasuke vs Naruto fight.

The background art in Naruto really went downhill as the series dragged on and Kishimoto started phoning it in so he could wrap it up. Early on there were a lot of really well-drawn scenes and landscapes, but once you got to the ninja war it basically turned into DBZ where something, anything, had to be drawn for the main characters to stand on while throwing super attacks at each other.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space-Bird posted:

In my search for the original I found that this got updated.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cloks posted:

I think Water 7 was the pinnacle of Oda's art for me. Great line-work and he nailed always having the right amount of detail.

Water 7 was the pinnacle of Odas work in so many ways.

It's kinda like Marineford where everything that was built up over the years just comes together in one perfect moment and the events taking place feel completely natural and earned. Just for comparison when Sasuke leaves to get stronger, it never really makes sense why Naruto and Sakura follow him around so much, like they can't live without him. At no point is he ever shown to care for them or do anything of note that would cause those feelings, but we're expected to just buy into it, which is why you have readers constantly questioning why Naruto or Sakura care so much that he left, because he certainly never reciprocated those feelings.

Whereas with Luffy and Usopp, you're constantly shown not only how much they care for each other, but how much Usopp cares about the ship and his gradual realisation that the further they go into the Grand Line, the less and less he'll be able to contribute. So when they have their duel, it's heartbreaking but also makes complete sense because of how they've been portrayed up until that point.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In my search for the original I found that this got updated.

I don't really understand what's going on in that last bleach panel but I'm not sure I want to cause it's ten times funnier that way

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parrotine posted:

I don't really understand what's going on in that last bleach panel but I'm not sure I want to cause it's ten times funnier that way

I can't tell who the first face is. Second is Aizen and third is YWACH, but is the first one... Kubo?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The third OP picture is also hilarious because no Luffy really does have a punch that can twist and turn to home in on his target.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parrotine posted:

They're on Tite Kubo's wild ride

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Should have had the Going Luffy-senpai to the side in the third pic.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
That Bleach one is actually pretty amazing. You're on Mr. Kubo's Wild Ride, even the characters are stuck on it, they're not even happy about it. The current and former villains, always stupidly mysterious and omnipotent, watch over you as well. It's a loving nightmare.

I actually don't like the spoilers in that One Piece one. Luffy's form is very unique visually and a lot of people are going to see that and have Gear 4 partially ruined for them. Does Luffy appear in this form already in mainstream toys/etc?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Advice posted:

That Bleach one is actually pretty amazing. You're on Mr. Kubo's Wild Ride, even the characters are stuck on it, they're not even happy about it. The current and former villains, always stupidly mysterious and omnipotent, watch over you as well. It's a loving nightmare.

I actually don't like the spoilers in that One Piece one. Luffy's form is very unique visually and a lot of people are going to see that and have Gear 4 partially ruined for them. Does Luffy appear in this form already in mainstream toys/etc?

Not yet. Toys and stuff tend to tie in to whereever the anime currently is I wanna say.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I can't tell who the first face is. Second is Aizen and third is YWACH, but is the first one... Kubo?

It's Kubo all right, no other mangaka wears shades like that

EDIT: Kubo's Wild Ride ahaha jesus christ

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is that a Quincy mark on the roller coaster cart?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is that a Quincy mark on the roller coaster cart?

yep

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Usopp's evolution :allears: