Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh so im looking at wireless repeaters. prolly get one for $120 or so

seems like a poo poo load less hassle than wireing network cable places its never been before and putting in accespoint

i mean im just talking about making wifi work on my lawn and so my wife can listen to youtube in back garage without using data, nothing hardcore

cant be that bad right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

echinopsis posted:

eh so im looking at wireless repeaters. prolly get one for $120 or so

seems like a poo poo load less hassle than wireing network cable places its never been before and putting in accespoint

i mean im just talking about making wifi work on my lawn and so my wife can listen to youtube in back garage without using data, nothing hardcore

cant be that bad right?

i haven't come across any good wifi repeaters. i think they all suck to varying degrees

I would aim one of these at your current wifi router and then plug one of these into it.

lazydog fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 11, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
guted coz in nz thats more than i want to spend... I think

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
you could try the nanostation on its own. it has a repeater mode built in. It might work ok for your purpose, but its antenna is directional so it might not give you the coverage you want. if it doesn't, you could buy the access point later or you could wire your existing spare access point to the nanostation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think im gonna try and easy out and get a repeater... im too lazy to try something proper first time round

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Syncopated posted:

It shows up in Disk management, but it says unknown and not initialized in the box. When I try to inizialize it I get an error message saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

if u initialize it u lose the linux isos on there just fyi

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

im tyring to set up my old adsl wireless modem as an additional access point and i think its working i mean it seems to work happy as a switch and so things i have done : same ssid and password, different channel, turned off dhcp

BUT when the internet connected router is connected i cant browse to the 192.168.2.1 address for the access point router.

will the original router with the dhcp be blocking it??

e: well i still cant access the router but i got it working, just cant change anything wthout resetting it to factory LMAO

also its a bit useless. wanna use it as a wireless repeater but i dont think thats a thing its designed to do

how is your old adsl modem connected to your internet router? remember that you can't use the uplink port, your old adsl modem needs to be connected to your internet router via one of its switch ports

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just one of the four network cables

the whole thing worked as intended except for losing the ability to access the router web page at 192 blah blah

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

the whole thing worked as intended except for losing the ability to access the router web page at 192 blah blah

job well done imo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Put your adsl modem on another range (like 172.16.0.0/24) if you can then that problem fixes itself.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can set its own ip... just make it that?

what other network feature is that called

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

i can set its own ip... just make it that?

what other network feature is that called
ipv4 addressing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I think my laptop is dying

fan is stuck at 100% and it's locked up a couple times

ripppppp :rip:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

you should look at the retina macbook it doesnt have any fans to break

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got this laptop 8 years ago

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

the craptop i use for dling my linux isos is from 2009

gateway

runs fine :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Silver Alicorn posted:

Silver Alicorn posted:

open it up and blow all the dust out

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

power botton posted:

you should look at the retina macbook it doesnt have any fans to break

ja it just throttles when you need processing power the most :cawg:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's running smoother now that I don't have my phone plugged in :iiam:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's running smoother now that I don't have my phone plugged in :iiam:

Yeah you removed a major voltage sink and the fans didn't spin as fast, golly team we've got a real mystery on our hands

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Put your adsl modem on another range (like 172.16.0.0/24) if you can then that problem fixes itself.

much like the osi layer you've hosed up, this post is a #2

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

put your main router as 192.168.0.1 and your lovely second router as 192.168.0.250

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ahmeni posted:

much like the osi layer you've hosed up, this post is a #2

pff, why

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

put your main router as 192.168.0.1 and your lovely second router as 192.168.0.250

by default the master is .20.1 and the slave .2.1

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

i think im gonna try and easy out and get a repeater... im too lazy to try something proper first time round

repeaters don't work because you're taking signal that's barely there and trying to repeat it in the same frequency

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well netgear ac1200 is the one I was planning on getting. presumably it has the ability to one day act as a normal access point

a) id need to rewire my nouse and
b) the adsl modem is at one end of the house

the next best solution is a lot more work and effort, plus I can use this for that later

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i think we all know you're just going to do whatever so let us know how the finished product suits your needs whenever you're done ok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a good way to air my thoughts

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Echi just buy and extremely expensive unifi ap for you are home, preferably the long range one. they kick rear end I get to use them at work and I really want to take 1 home

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OK... I have a network cable running into the lounge which is on the edge of te first 3rd of the property.

It'll need to go about 20 meters in any direction, through walls and brick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use a masonry drill

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
any recommendations? aiming to spend less than $180 nzd

some of these like this WNAP210 netgear is a bit more like $200 but can act as a repeater

thing is, i cant know till i get it home and install if its going to go the distrance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its frustrating, the model I want to get CANT work as an access point if that happened to be the case in the futre. how hosed up is that

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

echinopsis posted:

any recommendations? aiming to spend less than $180 nzd

some of these like this WNAP210 netgear is a bit more like $200 but can act as a repeater

thing is, i cant know till i get it home and install if its going to go the distrance

i dont know but make sure to cheap out and half rear end it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

OK... I have a network cable running into the lounge which is on the edge of te first 3rd of the property.

It'll need to go about 20 meters in any direction, through walls and brick

put it in the ceiling instead, then it won't have to go through brick :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gargle chome posted:

i dont know but make sure to cheap out and half rear end it

im so close to doing this

every model i find that meets what I want has really lovely reviews

god drat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welp i got it anyway and turns out you CAN use it as an acess point

only thing is that the suggestion was to name extended network different but i did it the same. appears the iphone doesnt look on different channels when signal stryength getting bad>? anwayy im happy with it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

welp i got it anyway and turns out you CAN use it as an acess point

only thing is that the suggestion was to name extended network different but i did it the same. appears the iphone doesnt look on different channels when signal stryength getting bad>? anwayy im happy with it

you're going to cause yourself extreme pain by having them the same name

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobbilljim posted:

you're going to cause yourself extreme pain by having them the same name
he literally doesn't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004