Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I used the original lightsaber up until 50 but if there's one you like the looks of, you can replace it. There's nothing inherently special about that lightsaber compared to other oranges. But you SHOULD find a set of cheap orange gear to wear so you can do this next part:

Always take comms when you're levelling. One modification piece is two comms, so one reward of 12 comms allows you to completely refit three pieces of gear, therefore it's much better than taking one piece of gear.

And if you don't like the way your adaptive getup looks, you get one appearance set for free, so that's an easy fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eimi posted:

If you open your quest log there is a reset quest button. It will start you over from the beginning but it lets you reset those 'final' choices.

:sigh: I forgot that button existed.

sassassin posted:

Should I be taking green quest reward gear or commendations when I get a choice?

Commendations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All my alts are dressed like dumb X-Wing pilots. Their rewards for finishing the story are normal person clothes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Make sure you romance Theron when you get to SoR then, if you're truly gonna role play Omar.

Edit - Let's see a screenshot, too.

Work in progress but here you go

The troublemaker duster is 2.5 mil on the GTN right now so i'll just wait a week and use the Nico Okarr duster I think

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

The troublemaker duster is 2.5 mil on the GTN right now so i'll just wait a week and use the Nico Okarr duster I think

Nice. Too bad shotguns aren't visible. :(

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

heh Omar'comin was the original name of my Scoundrel at release when Scrapper was godly. Changed it when I switched to Sawbones for Ranked sometime after 2.0.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All my alts are dressed like dumb X-Wing pilots. Their rewards for finishing the story are normal person clothes.

My Sith Inquisitor still attends dark council meetings in the pink t-shirt you start the game wearing. Every day is Casual Friday in in my department.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Medullah posted:

Nice. Too bad shotguns aren't visible. :(
Thankfully there is always the pistol from BBA that looks like a sawed off shotgun to take care of that oversight. I really wish the shotgun and vibroknife were visible all the time, though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Does anyone have a link to moderately new or updated information with regards to powertech (or hell, any class really) in PvP?

I've tried Dulfy, Reddit, and Google and haven't found anything thats remotely up-to-date aside from the Dulfy stuff for PvE. I understand the expansion is near so a few things will change, but it's still kind of frustrating that I can't find any solid PvP stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mercurius posted:

Thankfully there is always the pistol from BBA that looks like a sawed off shotgun to take care of that oversight. I really wish the shotgun and vibroknife were visible all the time, though.

Might be the same model, but I just got this ridiculous thing after the first 2 SoR dungeons

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Might be the same model, but I just got this ridiculous thing after the first 2 SoR dungeons

Everyone gets a giant yellow plastic weapon for doing the Forged Alliances story. You'll upgrade to faux-flintlocks on Rishi.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, I picked the huge deagle-looking thing because that's the second-most iconic piece of gun that omar carries around. It'll do!

Unrelated: is there any eyepatch headgear? I could swear I've seen it, but I can't find it from googling or searching the GTN.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I picked the huge deagle-looking thing because that's the second-most iconic piece of gun that omar carries around. It'll do!

Unrelated: is there any eyepatch headgear? I could swear I've seen it, but I can't find it from googling or searching the GTN.

Yeah, needs Contraband Resale rep though so that's why you wouldn't find it on the AH.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, needs Contraband Resale rep though so that's why you wouldn't find it on the AH.

Which is easy to get by playing the slot machines on the guild ship for a short time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the certificates might take you a bit longer if you've never bought crates but the rep's not bad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is my RD-07A Viper headgear:

Does that help?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

This is my RD-07A Viper headgear:

Does that help?

I googled "swtor eyepatch" and that was one of the pieces that came up, but i couldn't find it on the GTN. Not sure if it's because it's rare or if it's because of what the posters above mentioned; either way I'm out of luck, guess I'll play some slots on the guild ship and figure that out.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

You can also get a rad tech eyepatch if you're a cyborg.

e:

Aphrodite posted:

I mean this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-YDabe4Uq4

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Aphrodite posted:

To clarify, it's the Enforcer's Eyeguard from the vendor in the Bazaar. Only needs Outsider, though, which is pretty easy to get. Just 2400 credits too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Giant Ethicist posted:

To clarify, it's the Enforcer's Eyeguard from the vendor in the Bazaar. Only needs Outsider, though, which is pretty easy to get. Just 2400 credits too.

Use the Contraband Vending Machine in the Guild Ship, you can get Outside in literally like 20 minutes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I googled "swtor eyepatch" and that was one of the pieces that came up, but i couldn't find it on the GTN. Not sure if it's because it's rare or if it's because of what the posters above mentioned; either way I'm out of luck, guess I'll play some slots on the guild ship and figure that out.

Unfortunately, it's a world drop. You could just buy a whole bunch of boxes from the Hoth comm vendor maybe?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rafzakael posted:

I've tried Dulfy, Reddit, and Google and haven't found anything thats remotely up-to-date aside from the Dulfy stuff for PvE. I understand the expansion is near so a few things will change, but it's still kind of frustrating that I can't find any solid PvP stuff.

The fact that you can't find anything current about PVP should tell you something about the state of SWTOR PVP.

Sorry. :shrug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The only thing less important to SWTOR than raiding... Is PvP.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Will the increased class/world story quest xp be increased for non subs, or has that info come out yet?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I've read the last few pages and might have missed it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Use the Contraband Vending Machine
The what now? :downs:

Haerc posted:

Will the increased class/world story quest xp be increased for non subs, or has that info come out yet?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I've read the last few pages and might have missed it.
When the expansion hits, the 12x XP is going away, but the leveling experience will still be accelerated. They've explicitly said that you'd really only need to do the class quests and the planetary main quest to level, so it's not that much slower than it is now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asimo posted:

The what now? :downs:

When the expansion hits, the 12x XP is going away, but the leveling experience will still be accelerated. They've explicitly said that you'd really only need to do the class quests and the planetary main quest to level, so it's not that much slower than it is now.

It'll be half as fast as it is now, which is still a gajillion times faster than any other MMO out there (unless you count destiny, which doesn't have a time-based subscription model). At least from 1-50. But then from 50-65 you can level sync up to the endgame content, so that's neat

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, not half. It depends on mission locations. Sometimes the planetary quest and the class quest are just 2 doors in the same hallway.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I got all that, what I'm asking is, will the new leveling experience be gated behind the subscription, like the 12x xp is now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What's the best way to make sure my gear stays current if I'm just blitzing through class quests at 12x XP?

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM
I started playing a week ago, I'm level 40 now. I've found that after getting a customizable gear that I like the look of, all I need to do to keep things current is go to modification vendors for my current level and buy the appropriate mods, then slot them. The key mod for every item automatically ups it in level and the others let you customize the stats to suit your class / spec.

Doing the story quests generally lands you about 24-36 Basic Commendations per quest arc and killing mobs to do those quests nets you an extra 3-4 each time. With that you actually have commendations left over if you want to buy stuff for your companions / upgrade to a new prettier looking slot item.

I subscribe, and sell all my greens / scavenged materials on the GTM, so far I've complete upgraded a Coruscant apartment and furnished it while always keeping my gear up.

The occasional group "dungeon" nets you further rewards and has a pretty good story too.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Use adaptive gear and refresh all the mods every 8-10 levels using the 12 comms you should be taking every time you complete a class quest.

You should still end the game with 200 plus basic comms left over easily.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I got all that, what I'm asking is, will the new leveling experience be gated behind the subscription, like the 12x xp is now.
I haven't seen any implication to that effect, all the comments on it from the developers have been stressing that it's a complete revamp of the questing experience up to and including new UI elements related to it, which doesn't seem like something they'd just limit to subscribers. The expansion itself seems to be the big motivation to get people to sub.

Rincewind posted:

What's the best way to make sure my gear stays current if I'm just blitzing through class quests at 12x XP?
Get a full set of orange/moddable gear. Throw a new barrel/hilt into your weapons at every opportunity, upgrade the mods in your armor every 10 levels or so. Can space it out by upgrading the armoring, mods, and enhancements in turn every new planet. Just throw green crap on your companion since it won't matter in two weeks.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Haerc posted:

I'm not sure how it could be. The new experience recategorizes every quest into class, planet, exploration, and heroic. Exploration missions are even turned off by default in the update. There isn't going to be two separate quest systems for f2p and preferred/sub players.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm pretty sure I've read on dulfy that after the patch everyone gets 6x class quests and 6x main planet quests. This is only a minor step back as planet story quests are usually (usually) right near by where youre doing the class quests. Also with level scaling of all mission rewards you actually have a reason to stop and smell the roses helping every imperial officer you waltz by because you'll never outlevel quest rewards anymore.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Haerc posted:

Probably. This game has a horrible F2P system.

It's not even a pay to win, it's pay to just get basic functions like extra bars. I doubt they're going to make free to play any easier. If you want to play for free past the starter zones you better start collecting some bear asses.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

TOR is basically a subscription game with a lovely free trial. It's not even all that secret these days. :geno:

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
It really amazes me at how easy this game is at pulling me back in. Read up a bit about the changes coming to KOTF(loving the new companion system), and saw a few of the streams, and I'm all set to continue my Jedi Knight storyline. Got a subscription last weekend, played through some content I hadn't done yet and finished RotHC. After that, had way too much fun with the outfit designer to make my Jedi look the way I wanted him to. One thing annoyed me tho', I noticed that I was able to level past 55, even though I didn't have SoR yet. I had hoped that I might've been able to level up to 60 now, but it stopped increasing at the 99.9% mark.

I read that Shadow of Revan becomes free on October 27th. That means that I likely won't be able to play when KOTF is available for subscribers, right?

Gah, I know that it's only $20 at this point, but it feels like a waste of money when it's available in two weeks.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It'll be half as fast as it is now, which is still a gajillion times faster than any other MMO out there (unless you count destiny, which doesn't have a time-based subscription model). At least from 1-50. But then from 50-65 you can level sync up to the endgame content, so that's neat
What's this about level syncing up to 65? Can you skip on RotHC and SoR if you want?

Edit: I'm trying to get some people back into the game, but the new content for KOTF is single-player, right? You can go through the thing with multiple players, but only the main character will get to make decisions, like with class stories?

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 12, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Synthweaving or Artificing?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

Synthweaving or Artificing?

No one cares, and it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU