Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

Diesel is dead, long live diesel!

Hybrid and electric manufacturers are probably giggling uncontrollably in their board rooms right now with the way this emissions thing keeps spreading around the industry.

Though there's probably a few engineers nervously double-checking their code.

Can you imagine being on one of VW's other engine dev groups? I would imagine that planning meetings got rather somber, recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Some local bro trucker rear end in a top hat does burnouts on our residential road every night. Yesterday Evening I went to the gym and noticed a dark black line on the road and assumed that someone with a pickup had collected a lot of water from all the rain on the east coast and it was draining as they drove down the road. Went out this morning and it's still there. Looks like oil or some other automotive precious bodily fluid.

Starts right after a set of fresh tire tracks.....

down the road....

around a few corners.....

straight into the local garage's parking lot.

Haven heard any burnouts tonight. :byewhore:

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 10, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

-Zydeco- posted:

Some local bro trucker rear end in a top hat does burnouts on our residential road every night. Yesterday Evening I went to the gym and noticed a dark black line on the road and assumed that someone with a pickup had collected a lot of water from all the rain on the east coast and it was draining as they drove down the road. Went out this morning and it's still there. Looks like oil or some other automotive precious bodily fluid.

down the road....

Ooh man I bet that feels sweet.

Juicy justice.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

-Zydeco- posted:

Love it when that happens. :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I love CSI-ing oil leaks on the road

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GODDAMIT HIPSTERS KEEP YOUR EFFETE HANDS OFF MY ALLANTE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

i think C for compact (compared to the original which is a midsize) but yeah.

You have a weird concept of midsize

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

blk posted:

It's all they could afford.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/edmundi...-entrepreneurs/

blk
Dec 19, 2009

First Vampire Weekend burning down the Saab, now this. Hipsters need to stay the gently caress away from cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh come on in the context of discussing the C and V models it should be clear that by "original" i meant "plain jane Prius with no qualifier"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

blk posted:

Lol "an $8000 value" :allears:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

blk posted:

Kelly Bundy bouncing for The Neewwww Alllante!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmHCDT6hQ90

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Fabulousity posted:

I don't have a picture of one handy but just thought I'd ask what the deal is with this minor trend I've been seeing around Seattle lately: Various GM W body cars with giant 22+ inch rims. Is there a reason this has become some sort of mini thing or am I just commuting through a small localized anomaly? I've seen at least four Luminas (especially a notable bright green one) and a three early aught Impalas including a broken down one this morning over the past few months. The busted down one this week was cute with all the peeled paint everywhere, various dents and scrapes, and four gigantic fresh-off-the-shelf chrome rims. Is there a reason it's fashionable to strap wheels to what are really bad to mediocre American cars made in the mid nineties to early 00s?

If by in Seattle you mean the Rainier cannabis market parking lot, then yes this is a thing.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

-Zydeco- posted:

down the road....

Surprised they kept driving instead of stopping and getting a tow... Not a bright person.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

No piss left.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This might have looped all the way back around into the wrong thread, I haven't decided yet.

I mean, there's no way that wasn't done ironically, is there?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

This might have looped all the way back around into the wrong thread, I haven't decided yet.

I mean, there's no way that wasn't done ironically, is there?

The diffuser looks like someone spent quite a lot of time and :effort: on it.

I think it has looped back around, personally.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The thousand pounds of downforce that big spoiler is gonna give him at freeway speeds is going to snap that plastic aftermarket vanity spoiler right in half.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ether Frenzy posted:

The thousand pounds of downforce that big spoiler is gonna give him at freeway speeds is going to snap that plastic aftermarket vanity spoiler right in half.

Which one?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PCOS Bill posted:

Which one?

There's a tiny one on top of the big one, hidden by the angle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be pretty funny to put that in a wind tunnel and spin it up to max speed, watch each piece fail and break off one by one.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Well I'll be, they actually have a model with no cruise control.

http://www.toyota.com/priusc/features/interior/1201/1203/1205/1207

What a goofy move. The ECU is still going to support it, I guess they felt like the $100 they'd save wiring up a stalk was worth it. Maybe they wanted to be able to say they had an option "below $20,000".

My 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer doesn't have cruise control. I've looked into what is involved in adding cruise, and it is literally "swap the turn signal stalk for one with cruise controls". The wiring and ECU are all already there.

Laziness is the only reason I haven't spent the $40 for a new stalk from ebay. That, and 95% of the driving I do in that car is around town, or towing my boat twenty minutes to the launch.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
What's even crazier is that my buddy's 2009 duramax dually has full remote start functionality with the factory key-fob, and all it is is a $250 dealership software unlock.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer doesn't have cruise control. I've looked into what is involved in adding cruise, and it is literally "swap the turn signal stalk for one with cruise controls". The wiring and ECU are all already there.

Laziness is the only reason I haven't spent the $40 for a new stalk from ebay. That, and 95% of the driving I do in that car is around town, or towing my boat twenty minutes to the launch.

My 2008 Focus is the same way. The easiest way to add cruise is to buy a steering wheel off a wrecked SE/SES model with the button, then take it to the local Ford dealer and pay them $60 to reprogram the ecu. I wonder how much the factory option was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My base spec Yaris (like, seriously base, it didn't even have ABS in TYOOL 2008) had cruise control in the software, just no hardware. I eventually googled the circuit and added buttons on the dash myself. That was a fun hack, it looked like I the xbox face buttons in my car.

I could have dug up the proper stalk for it and installed it, but it was relatively expensive to get ahold of.

Goddamn I miss that car. I was hoping to keep that thing for 15 years.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
While I give him credit for at least having matching paint...well, uh. Wow. He did the work himself. The work isn't bad but the design...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's a 3rd gen eclipse, right?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Yep. Dude was so proud to show me, all I could do was :stonklol: looks awesome dude :stonklol:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Stay tuned to find out where he puts the rear license plate!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cellular Suicide posted:

Stay tuned to find out where he puts the rear license plate!

After all that careful, painstaking craftsmanship I think it'll just be some self tapping screws somewhere near the middle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tilted diagonally for effect.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Saw this dude while we were on the way to a racetrack in New Hampshire over the weekend. In case its tough to see, that is a shopping cart ziptied to the roof racks. #Downforce.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bigbillystyle posted:

Saw this dude while we were on the way to a racetrack in New Hampshire over the weekend. In case its tough to see, that is a shopping cart ziptied to the roof racks. #Downforce.

His other ride must be a DRZ

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dannywilson posted:

What's even crazier is that my buddy's 2009 duramax dually has full remote start functionality with the factory key-fob, and all it is is a $250 dealership software unlock.

GM has had remote start functionality on everything with an automatic and a key fob for ages. The PCM itself handles starting as it is, since at least the early 2000s. There's no link between the ignition switch and anything else except for the BCM and PCM; *everything* in the car except for the radio is controlled by one of those two modules, and the radio isn't only because it's aftermarket (the factory stereo is tied into the GM LAN to some degree for OnStar, and on all newer/several older models, all tones/beeps/bells/chimes/etc); ever since I removed it and the OnStar mirror I have a persistent BCM code that my code reader can't figure out). The ignition switch doesn't even get 12 volts; it gets the 5 volts you typically see in a lot of electronics. I think the only things that you directly control on my car are the dome light and map lights (and they shut off 10 or 15 minutes after turning off the car anyway).

In my car, I can just barely tap the key into the start position, let go, and it cranks until it (a) starts, (b) I take my foot off the clutch, or (c) 15 seconds go by without it firing up (this only happens if I'm out of gas or, as I learned the hard way, the battery is too low for the starter to do anything but cause the solenoid to click madly). I usually just bump the key to get it cranking as I'm reaching for my seat belt.

I don't think my specific model was offered with remote start, but I think the Cobalt version was, in automatic trim anyway. My car has a manual transmission, so that's not something I'd really care to gently caress with since I always park it in gear.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

GM has had remote start functionality on everything with an automatic and a key fob for ages. The PCM itself handles starting as it is, since at least the early 2000s. There's no link between the ignition switch and anything else except for the BCM and PCM; *everything* in the car except for the radio is controlled by one of those two modules, and the radio isn't only because it's aftermarket (the factory stereo is tied into the GM LAN to some degree for OnStar, and on all newer/several older models, all tones/beeps/bells/chimes/etc); ever since I removed it and the OnStar mirror I have a persistent BCM code that my code reader can't figure out). The ignition switch doesn't even get 12 volts; it gets the 5 volts you typically see in a lot of electronics. I think the only things that you directly control on my car are the dome light and map lights (and they shut off 10 or 15 minutes after turning off the car anyway).

In my car, I can just barely tap the key into the start position, let go, and it cranks until it (a) starts, (b) I take my foot off the clutch, or (c) 15 seconds go by without it firing up (this only happens if I'm out of gas or, as I learned the hard way, the battery is too low for the starter to do anything but cause the solenoid to click madly). I usually just bump the key to get it cranking as I'm reaching for my seat belt.

I don't think my specific model was offered with remote start, but I think the Cobalt version was, in automatic trim anyway. My car has a manual transmission, so that's not something I'd really care to gently caress with since I always park it in gear.

Of course, with the TPP and DCMA its still a crime to enable it yourself.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Keychat, and also extremely terrible car stuff:

The 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO key.

Roughly the same size as an oil tanker, and non-retractable, with a radio range of about ten feet, and a non-removable, non-rechargeable battery with a circuit design that wiped the key's electronics if you removed the battery for replacement. It was easily the worst part of what was otherwise a pretty great car.

(You could cheat and solder a 1.5v source to the terminals, swap the battery, and then remove the source, but seriously, what the gently caress.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wish I had that problem.

Out with the ST, in with that sweet, sweet Cayman S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well I'll be, they actually have a model with no cruise control.

http://www.toyota.com/priusc/features/interior/1201/1203/1205/1207

What a goofy move. The ECU is still going to support it, I guess they felt like the $100 they'd save wiring up a stalk was worth it. Maybe they wanted to be able to say they had an option "below $20,000".

It's pretty much de-contenting a car to try and force people to move up. I seem to remember there being a Corolla that was the same way, and you could enable cruise by just adding the loving switch stalk. No reprogramming, no new hardware, nothing.

It actually costs Toyota more to make a small run of no-cruise switches in addition to the millions of cruise-enabled switches, but they do it because it lets them advertise a low price while forcing you up a tier.