Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

Yup, that's me.

Pretty funny actually, the guys from Singapore are getting a giggle out of this since the other finalist (Kenny) from Singapore has a long history of shady play too. I've personally been at the receiving end of his sleight of hand stuff before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Pretty funny actually, the guys from Singapore are getting a giggle out of this since the other finalist (Kenny) from Singapore has a long history of shady play too. I've personally been at the receiving end of his sleight of hand stuff before.

Played some AGOT 2.0 yesterday at a casual meetup and it was a blast. I can't wait for my cores to arrive today so I can start building terrible decks that will be demolished next week!

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Haha, really? What kind of stuff do people pull, just the same sort of multiple draws and all? It's still kind of a shocker to me that people would try to cheat in a card game with zero money on the line...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Can someone tell me why everyone seems to like AGOT? Is it just because it is the new hotness that doesn't have 400$ worth of buy-ins for new peeps like Netrunner does? Or is it also the fact everyone is crazy for anything Game of Throneish.

I completely love the theme and gameplay of Netrunner, but it feels so daunting to try to learn all of the cards at once instead of like piecemeal like people who played since 2012 did with all of the constant update packs. Especially since it feels like a third of the cards are never used.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

jeeves posted:

Can someone tell me why everyone seems to like AGOT? Is it just because it is the new hotness that doesn't have 400$ worth of buy-ins for new peeps like Netrunner does? Or is it also the fact everyone is crazy for anything Game of Throneish.

I completely love the theme and gameplay of Netrunner, but it feels so daunting to try to learn all of the cards at once instead of like piecemeal like people who played since 2012 did with all of the constant update packs. Especially since it feels like a third of the cards are never used.

It's Game of Thrones.

It's brand new.

It's a fairly conventional card game design until you account for the three avenues of attack and defense, which add a ton of variety to gameplay.

It's built for multiplayer out of the box, which is unique at this point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jeeves posted:

At least for my group, it's the only multiplayer (> 2p) LCG. I think we're also burnt out on Netrunner since there are a lot of pretty unfun decks in the meta (the new Valencia DLR being one example). It's also pretty mechanically simple, but I think the card pool is pretty shallow right now, especially considering that the factions don't really have that many cards to play with and define themselves.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
A friend was asking me that same question tonight. I think a lot of people wanted to get into the first edition but the large pool of cards and the fact that the first sets were that pseudo-ccg deal and not the same LCG packs that we all know and love, turned a lot of people off to the idea. Obviously the popularity and mainstream success of the TV show has gotten people more interested than say Conquest, but aGoT for me was always a game that was too large of an investment without dedicated other players that were willing to jump in with me.

The multiplayer aspect is definitely cool too. Our multiplayer games of Doomtown have been a lot of fun, however the swinginess of new players in that led to a lot of cold wars while it looks like aGoT is going to be much more aggressive and confrontational even with 3 other players facing you down.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 9, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

So AGOT2 talk, I was originally going to make a Greyjoy/Baratheon aggro deck, but I find that I enjoy Targaryen/Lannister much better in that regard, so what houses would be the best Control type deck? The natural answer is Baratheon, but it's soooo dependent on getting Melisandre that it is sorta frustrating when you don't get her and the necessary Rhllor cards quickly (and in that order!), and whiffing on a Summons really, really sucks. I overall kinda loathe any sort of "gating" when it comes to my decks, since it makes them too inconsistent for my liking. So what would that leave? Martell? Night's Watch?

Have you tried the Baratheon Fealty deck that's going around? It's pretty amazing. The big thing with Baratheon is using Chamber of the Painted Table and other things to make sure the game lasts long enough for you to draw into the big guys that help you win. Other then that, Martell is probably your best bet for a Control type that wants the game to go long, though I don't know that they have all the tools they want at the moment.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

Haha, really? What kind of stuff do people pull, just the same sort of multiple draws and all? It's still kind of a shocker to me that people would try to cheat in a card game with zero money on the line...

In Conquest he's tried to pull stuff like using a Shield and then not discarding it.(so it's still in hand ready to be used again)

In Netrunner, he did this to me. (not my blog, but it archived my FB post)

http://www.somethingswrong.sg/2014/03/singapore-march-8th-android-netrunner.html?m=1

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh god. That conquest thread with the guy caught cheating.. he posts with a sockpuppet and forgets to log out when trying to make a post with his main account. It's so rock-bottom-Ly pathetic that I kind of feel bad for him :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goddamn gently caress Shrieking Harpy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Oh god. That conquest thread with the guy caught cheating.. he posts with a sockpuppet and forgets to log out when trying to make a post with his main account. It's so rock-bottom-Ly pathetic that I kind of feel bad for him :smith:

Hahahahahhaha

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Had our first AGOT2 game last night, 4 player melee. Was a lot of fun and I think other than a few over generous allowances of action Windows it went mostly correct. At one point we had a bit of a runaway leader who then got chopped down to size by everyone else but it did feel too problematic. Everyone liked it and all agreed it felt very thematic. Well other than poor Daneyras being marches to the wall!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Played AGOT2. Khal Drogo is ridiculous. Thats all

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Page 7 is the sockpuppet reveal

"uhh, he sent me that to post for him!"

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

canyoneer posted:

Page 7 is the sockpuppet reveal

"uhh, he sent me that to post for him!"

I just keeps getting better, I really hope FFG ban his rear end.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Devlan Mud posted:

I just keeps getting better, I really hope FFG ban his rear end.

If "This is from him" isn't flavor text for a future card I'm going to be very disappointed.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've gathered some decklists from folks who seem like they were good AGoT 1.0 players, have won some 2.0 tournaments, and/or have done a lot of testing. Obviously don't read if you want start completely fresh! I've already built my fair share of jank on OCTGN and am now trying to learn from others.

Targ Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/240/fire-and-blood

Bara Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/197/bend-the-knee-best-core-deck-

Lanni NA
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/233/lanni-na-varys

Greyjoy Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/95/salt-stone-and-steel

The next decks might be a little less tested/powerful but are supposedly pretty good and from competitive players:

Stark/Martell
http://thronesdb.com/deck/view/3572

Tyrell/Lanni
http://thronesdb.com/deck/view/3575

Stark/Greyjoy
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/146/winter-is-coming-stealth-edition-

Bara/Tyrell (people in the Team Covenant meta say there is a Bara/Tyrell deck out there that is better than Bara Fealty, might look like this)
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/217/growing-stag-3x-core-version-

Nights Watch/Martell (haven't found a really good nights watch deck yet)
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/224/black-hole-sun

Nights Watch/Bara
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/214/ice-and-fire

Edit: Oh yeah, some observations from whether there were enough neutral cards in 3 cores to run two complete decks without proxies: I'm finding I often end up wanting to play 4+ Seal of the Hand, Put to the Sword, Tears of Lys, and Bodyguard between two decks. So umm, use opaque sleeves I guess!

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 11, 2015

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I still can't even start playing as the war store waited an extra day to even start the shipping process and shipped ups ground
I emailed way before hand saying I want to pay for usps priority and got nothing back

5 business days so Wednesday

poo poo

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've gathered some decklists from folks who seem like they were good AGoT 1.0 players, have won some 2.0 tournaments, and/or have done a lot of testing. Obviously don't read if you want start completely fresh! I've already built my fair share of jank on OCTGN and am now trying to learn from others.

Nice! Thanks for these. Our shop is having a single-core tournament in a couple of weeks, but after that I'll be picking up my third core and will give these a try.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm honestly laughing my rear end off at the whole situation. The damage control attempts are really embarrassing and the fact that he got caught red-handed is even funnier.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FedEx messed up my shipment from coolstuffinc (may have left it outside my apartment building) and now I'm dealing with that. Considering just picking up two cores from a FLGS while waiting to deal with FedEx's claim investigation.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, some observations from whether there were enough neutral cards in 3 cores to run two complete decks without proxies: I'm finding I often end up wanting to play 4+ Seal of the Hand, Put to the Sword, Tears of Lys, and Bodyguard between two decks. So umm, use opaque sleeves I guess!

Thanks for this! That website looks awesome. I bought 3 cores and my friend who plays competitive Magic wants to learn with my sets. I figured we would be proxying a few neutral cards... maybe that will be the incentive for him to buy his own core.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Any goons playing Ashes? I'm intrigued but not sure I want to buy a core sight unseen...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

Any goons playing Ashes? I'm intrigued but not sure I want to buy a core sight unseen...

drat did it come out? It hadn't been released when I did my CSI order last week. I'm looking forward to checking it out, seems interesting if not particularly deep at a glance.

I will say I'm buying it like 25% interest, 25% as a collector, 25% because the art is cool, and 25% because the artist herself was cute.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I playtested Ashes and didn't like it. But there is nothing but praise for it since it came out. I don't know if my homemade pieces colored my experience, or the 'plaid hat can do no wrong' cult of the new folks are being too optimistic. I am likely going to pick up a copy because my name is in the rules, so I'll chime in here once that happens.

I am still upset that Plaid Hat put out a dueling wizards card game when they already have a top dueling wizards card game in a market that is full of dueling wizard card games. I don't understand it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I know this is dumb for me to be asking with like 20 LotR things unpurchased and even more scenarios unplayed by me yet, but is the Pathfinder Card Game any good, particularly as a solo game? I saw some of the card packs at the game store today and it looked interesting.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Boco_T posted:

I know this is dumb for me to be asking with like 20 LotR things unpurchased and even more scenarios unplayed by me yet, but is the Pathfinder Card Game any good, particularly as a solo game? I saw some of the card packs at the game store today and it looked interesting.

Noooo. The pathfinder card game is an awful, random game where nothing interesting happens and no one makes any meaningful decisions. Stay the hell away.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
That settles that, thanks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ashes was fun when I played it, but I can't see it gaining enough traction to justify purchase. Dice based resource coupled to LCG decks stapled to online CCG style limited board size combat seems to be pulling in too many directions.

Maybe I'll be proven pleasantly incorrect.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

DontMockMySmock posted:

Noooo. The pathfinder card game is an awful, random game where nothing interesting happens and no one makes any meaningful decisions. Stay the hell away.

Seconding this.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Pathfinder game is good if you like really casual games with simple choices and low strategy. It's for people that aren't really into heavy games but want a light rpg card game that wraps up in a couple hours.

I'm hoping the new FFG Warhammer Quest card game will be a bit deeper of an adventure card game because I think the concept has legs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

PaybackJack posted:

new FFG Warhammer Quest card game

:chanpop:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

PJOmega posted:

Ashes was fun when I played it, but I can't see it gaining enough traction to justify purchase. Dice based resource coupled to LCG decks stapled to online CCG style limited board size combat seems to be pulling in too many directions.

Maybe I'll be proven pleasantly incorrect.

i love ashes. its finely balanced and the dice are less fickle than you'd think thanks to individual cards and a mechanic all players get access to that switch die faces. there's only 3 symbols on each six sided die so mana screw or flood is made almost impossible. the lcg style imo can do nothing wrong except crap out badly tuned cards due to hurried design. i guess we'll see on that front when an ashes pack comes out. the limited board sizes imo add more consideration other than 'build deck that pops out the most efficient mans fastest.' it makes the different pheonixborn special snowflakes in a world of games with generic heroes + a text power

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Does conquest have its own thread?

Or does anyone have any beginning conquest building advice? I like the game, and got the whole setup for a song, but a core+6 packs is a tad intimidating to dive into.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

Or does anyone have any beginning conquest building advice? I like the game, and got the whole setup for a song, but a core+6 packs is a tad intimidating to dive into.

Conquest doesn't have enough traffic and discussion even in this thread, let alone to support its own thread. But like most LCGs after a single cycle, it will be like 95% core set. Cato in Space Marines is a really straightforward deck to make since his main strength is winning fights in a pretty straightforward way. You can probably do pretty well if you put in 2-3x of the core space marines cards in the deck, and at the very least, it will give you an idea of what works/doesn't work.

General tips:

Void Pirates/Rogue Traders are super good units since they can cap planets 3-5 and most people won't throw their warlord to those planets to deny the domination/kill the thing, except maybe on Turn 1. Warlords are too valuable in fights to spend to just kill an econ dude otherwise. Ork Kannons loving love to shoot them, though. Promotion is likewise a good card to throw on things since it lets you win command struggles, but it is limited and an attachment (inherent card disadvantage if the unit dies) so I don't think it's as good as the Void Pirates and Rogue Traders. Seriously, do not neglect the command struggle.

Elite units may seem like huge liabilities, and they can be, but throwing a good elite unit on the match point planet can be a very strong play since they tend to be able to solo a planet. I have literally lost (and won) games because someone played a Shrieking Harpy on the match point planet and had initiative. There is like nothing I could do about it. Other elite units to look at are the Tau Broadside (whichever one gets area effect 2 for attachments) and the Chaos demon with Area Effect 3. That being said, I wouldn't put too many in a deck since they are very obviously late game units, where early game is you setting up your economy, mid game is you fighting for planets with generally 2-4 cost units, and late game is you closing the game. Elite units are pretty useless turn 1 since it kills your economy, which isn't worth it for winning planet 1, regardless of what that planet is.

Events/attachments with 2 shields are generally strong recommends.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I thought I might build a tyranid deck to avoid the complexity of having to partner with another race. :)

Or Cato with Tau for those assassins, attachment finders, and ion guns.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

I thought I might build a tyranid deck to avoid the complexity of having to partner with another race. :)

Or Cato with Tau for those assassins, attachment finders, and ion guns.

I'd actually probably recommend against Tyranids since they play differently from other factions. Their economy in particular is different enough (on the back of a synapse unit) that you should probably learn how a "normal" game works. Their cardpool is also a bit lacking right now. On the other hand, there's really nothing stopping you from just going monorace anyway, honestly. I don't think I splash all that much generally.

Cato and Tau are a pretty solid combination for pretty much those reasons, as well as for the Viorla Marksman since SM has dick all for ranged options. I don't know what the "assassins" are, though.

While you play, be very aware of the mass destruction events (Exterminatus, Warpstorm, Doom, I guess that Tyranid one that kills a unit on every planet) that each faction has. Only one will be "active" at a time, except in an Ork/IG matchup where none are, but Orks have a tendency to poo poo out a ton of damage on their own, it just won't come as a surprise.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd actually probably recommend against Tyranids since they play differently from other factions. Their economy in particular is different enough (on the back of a synapse unit) that you should probably learn how a "normal" game works. Their cardpool is also a bit lacking right now. On the other hand, there's really nothing stopping you from just going monorace anyway, honestly. I don't think I splash all that much generally.

Cato and Tau are a pretty solid combination for pretty much those reasons, as well as for the Viorla Marksman since SM has dick all for ranged options. I don't know what the "assassins" are, though.

While you play, be very aware of the mass destruction events (Exterminatus, Warpstorm, Doom, I guess that Tyranid one that kills a unit on every planet) that each faction has. Only one will be "active" at a time, except in an Ork/IG matchup where none are, but Orks have a tendency to poo poo out a ton of damage on their own, it just won't come as a surprise.

The marksmen were what I meant. But I'll read up on those cards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Deviant posted:

Conquest should probably have its own thread sometime soon, but I haven't bothered to make one yet.

Faction overview:

Space Marines: Lots of solid fighting units coupled with a ton of great combat tricks (most of which only work on SM units). Space Marines lack good command options, but have some of the best combat units in the game, such as Tactical Squad Cardinis, Honored Librarian, and Firedrake Terminators. Most Space Marine decks have a solid core of Space Marine combat units coupled with some allied/neutral units for command, which is both fluffy and effective. Generally a pretty reliable and well-rounded choice.

Imperial Guard Astra Militarum: Lots of relatively weak units being thrown into the meat grinder nobly sacrificing themselves for the Emperor, paired with powerful vehicle units. The core set warlord for this faction, Colonel Straken, is very weak, while the first cycle warlord, Inquisitor Coteaz, is combo-centric. This has made Astra Militarum decks relatively rare aside from Coteaz hunt combo things, though the first pack of the next cycle will feature a new Commissar warlord who looks to have a more "standard" playstyle.

Orks: Two main themes at present - swarms of weaker units and bigger units that get stronger as they take damage. Orks have many units that are extremely efficient for their cost, but they have relatively few command options and generally lack combat tricks. This "unsubtlety" has led them to be somewhat unpopular, since you can generally predict what an Ork deck is going to be able to do before you commit your warlord, while with Space Marines or similar there's a lot more ambiguity about what tricks they might have.

Chaos: Chaos features a lot of direct damage/"burn" abilities and has several weak Cultist units which it can sacrifice to empower its Daemons. The two Chaos warlords play extremely differently - Zarathur buffs all your damage dealing abilities at his planet, while Ku'gath is just a huge tank that can fight whole armies on his own (with the right Events for support). Despite relatively weak command, Chaos has access to a lot of alternative economy with its Cultist sacrifices, especially if combined with Ammo Depot from an Ork alliance.

Dark Eldar: Dark Eldar are dicks. They focus on "choke" effects which can prevent the opponent from gaining cards/resources, force them to discard at random, or steal away resources, and couple that with some solid combat tricks and the near-broken Klaivex Warleader. The typical Dark Eldar gameplan is to try and deny command to the opponent (Dark Eldar prefer neither people getting cards/money to both people getting a bit) - in an environment where neither people can play very much the constant stream of free Khymera tokens will be much more effective.

Eldar: Eldar are the control faction of Conquest. They are the only faction to have access to a "counterspell" type effect in the form of Nullify, and feature strong command options paired with some solid midrange units. The main weakness of Eldar is that they have very few good combat units for less than 3 resources - the exception being the very strong Warlock Destructor, though even he will end up costing 3 or more if you keep him in play for more than a turn. As a result, Eldar generally prefer to play the "long game" and are vulnerable to early pressure if the planet icons allow for quick wins.

Tau: Tau have lots of strong attachments and like loading up weaker units with upgrades, turning them into powerhouses. They have perhaps he two most different warlords of any faction, even more so than Chaos - Shadowsun focuses on efficiency and attachment recursion, while Aun'shi has himself and all his units at the same planet gain Armorbane, which lets them ignore shields completely! However, Aun'shi and most of his strongest units also have to retreat back to HQ after making any attack, so they end up being in trouble versus opponents with a lot of staying power.

Tyranids: The newest faction to the game, featuring very different mechanics from everybody else. Tyranids don't have allies and can't even use neutral units. However, they begin with both a warlord and a Synapse unit, which has its own dial and acts as a secondary Warlord with more limited abilities. Tyranids can run the gamut from swarm decks with tons of weak Termagant tokens (and then Hive Mind units that provide Sliver-like buffs to all your Termagant tokens at certain planets) or elite decks with powerful monsters like Ymgarl Genestealers or Shrieking Harpy - which can then grow even more powerful with strong Tyranid attachments like Regeneration or Heavy Venom Cannon.

Tyranids are also the easiest faction for new players to get into the game with - you can buy a single core set and a single copy of The Great Devourer and have everything you need to make competitive Tyranid decks right out of the gate, and you don't need to worry about choosing an ally or even most neutral cards. Throw in two or three copies of Promotion and No Mercy, fill the rest of the deck with Nids, and you're good to go!