Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rygar201 posted:

Clinton's raw and sustained contempt of the press is one of her best qualities, to be frank.

You know who else had raw and sustained contempt for the press?

That's right. Richard M. Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I just slammed a gun into a locker.

In 2008 Biden couldn't win a single state against Clinton or Obama during his primary campaign - he gave up when he placed 5th in Iowa, behind fuckin' Edwards and Bill Richardson. Why's he going to do any better in this primary campaign? Especially waiting until like 3 weeks before the first democratic primary deadlines to start running?

Why force him to go through the pain of another campaign where he won't win?

A (gun) locker is an excellent place for a gun, but please be gentle.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sucrose posted:

Biden can't win? Why not? If Hillary can win, Biden can most certainly win, he's better liked. And the Republican side is all jokers.

Biden ran for President in 1988 and got wiped out by a big plagarism scandal (which would still effect him in 2016, but isn't talked about at all at the moment). His 2008 campaign was a trainwreck of gaffes (which are charming when you occupy a ceremonial political position but pretty bad when you're running to be Commander in Chief) and he didn't even make 1% in the Iowa caucus. And he has literally no campaign infrastructure right now.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton's only past presidential campaign was able to go toe-to-toe with Barack Obama, an amazingly capable politician. And she has a shitton of campaign infrastructure and PAC money in all the early states. And she has more flexibility with regard to connecting herself to Obama (see her denying the TPP) while Biden will pretty much have to own Obama's record as his own.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And he's got a great twitter! Swell guy, that Nixon/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The last liberal president? Sounds like a good quality to have then.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I just slammed a gun into a locker.

In 2008 Biden couldn't win a single state against Clinton or Obama during his primary campaign - he gave up when he placed 5th in Iowa, behind fuckin' Edwards and Bill Richardson. Why's he going to do any better in this primary campaign? Especially waiting until like 3 weeks before the first democratic primary deadlines to start running?

Why force him to go through the pain of another campaign where he won't win?

Is it too early to think about Clinton running mates? Clinton/ VP for life Diamond Joe? Clinton / Castro? Clinton / Bloomberg?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Clinton/Sanders

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Biden should of course be Vice President For Life, and the first third and fourth term VP ever. He just doesn't need to run a failed presidential campaign to get that.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
it doesn't make a lot of sense for lots of reasons i guess but I'd be happy voting for a Clinton/Sanders ticket :unsmith:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What if Castro could turn Texas blue though?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Y'all need to watch this here 60 Minutes interview with Barrack Obama

The Bear is Loose and it is Good.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't think that would happen, there are enough Hispanic voters there but their turnout is very low and from my understanding the Texas Democratic party is very inept. I think there would need to be a serious, coordinated and well run effort to get these voters registered if they want to actually turn Texas blue rather than just talking about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ron Jeremy posted:

No, but it'd be really cool.

Also Biden is a cool guy but the only times he's different than Clinton it's usually him going to the right of her. There's a reason he has never even come close to being a real candidate until The Woman was an option and made some power player's assholes clench.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ron Jeremy posted:

If Castro can cripple or execute enough Texas Republicans int he right ways at the right times to do that for 2016, then I say he should get a Nobel Peace Prize.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rygar201 posted:

Y'all need to watch this here 60 Minutes interview with Barrack Obama

The Bear is Loose and it is Good.

Kraft is a real dick here. There's this weird sort of aggressive tone to him as if he's attacking instead of interviewing. It doesn't help that Obama has a very calm, measured, slow way of talking (probably to keep him from speaking without thinking), which runs counter to how most people want him to answer questions. I'm so used to hearing GOP candidates talk like a machine gun. I was looking at Twitter during the airing this evening, and it was, predictably, split right down between people who hate Obama and think he's evil/a monster/an idiot, and people who think that Obama is cool.

After the interview, there was a story about Glen Ford, who was on Death Row for 30 years before new evidence came out that showed he was innocent. The DA who put him there was very remorseful and will probably think about what he did for the rest of his life, but the current DA, who let him out, is a world-class rear end in a top hat who thinks we need to kill more people in prison, and that innocent people being locked up get justice when they get out, so there's no need to compensate them. Ford was owed $300,000 for his imprisonment, and was denied it because the DA claims he was aware of the robbery that happened the night of the murder he didn't commit, so he didn't deserve it. They did, however, give him a $20 gift card on his way out for his troubles. He got a nice meal of fried chicken, and then a short while later got diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away 3 weeks after he was interviewed for this bit. He died penniless, and his funeral was paid for by donations from his church.

The DA has a history of being terrible, he was featured in a New Yorker article earlier this year. Basically he works in a super racist area, and wants to kill everyone he can who gets convicted of a proper crime, because society is disintegrating. What a fucker.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why's he going to do any better in this primary campaign? Especially waiting until like 3 weeks before the first democratic primary deadlines to start running?

Between this and the last primary he won both the VP debates, which were both a pretty big deal. If anything, he's a fighter. And he's already proven that.

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 12, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ron Jeremy posted:

He can't as a vice president, but running for president after two terms as vice president? :getin:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

Between this and the last primary he won both the VP debates, which were both a pretty big deal. If anything, he's a fighter. And he's already proven that.

Winning Vice Presidential debates against two of the dumbest VP candidates in Republican history is no sort of evidence he can win against anybody but Webb in the current primary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

Castro is the classic Clinton pick because it shores up her weaknesses and leads directly into a Young Hispanic President which the GOP have no answer for.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Winning Vice Presidential debates against two of the dumbest VP candidates in Republican history is no sort of evidence he can win against anybody but Webb in the current primary.

agreed. in many ways Paul Ryan did worse than Palin did during the debates, which is definitely rather hilarious considering they all pretend he's some sort of ~intellectual heavyweight~

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

nachos posted:

I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe

Ratings

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

Hating Hillary, Headlines.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

nachos posted:

computer parts posted:

1. Horserace

2. He's an establishment pick that's not Hillary.

3. A lot of the media hates Hillary.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nachos posted:

You answered your own question there.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Anyone know somewhere that will be streaming the debate tuesday?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hangedman1984 posted:

Anyone know somewhere that will be streaming the debate tuesday?

CNN is streaming the whole thing on their website. It's free and there will be no need to verify you have cable or anything like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Castro is the classic Clinton pick because it shores up her weaknesses and leads directly into a Young Hispanic President which the GOP have no answer for.

Really I genuinely think all that dude needs to be a top level guy is a shot in the arm from something like the Clinton machine, so yea if he can ride that to success rock on Castro.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sucrose posted:

So is Biden gonna jump into the race or what? Also, why isn't everyone and their mother pushing Biden to enter the race?
The NYT desperately wants him to run. They've run about one front page article per day the last 3-4 weeks about how 'Clinton's people are scared of a potential Biden run' and 'Biden's advisors putting out feelers for a run' and very vague things like that with sources that are all off-the-record.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NYT desperately wants him to run. They've run about one front page article per day the last 3-4 weeks about how 'Clinton's people are scared of a potential Biden run' and 'Biden's advisors putting out feelers for a run' and very vague things like that with sources that are all off-the-record.

To be fair the NYT just wants Literally Anyone But Hillary to run. I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if during the election proper they straight up endorsed the republican.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nachos posted:

There's not a whole lot to talk about in the Democratic primary beyond Clinton and 'Emailghazi', because both Sanders and Clinton are avoiding any kind of attacks at each other for the most part. Biden running would shake things up (although it would mostly just split Hillary's vote and is not happening).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair the NYT just wants Literally Anyone But Hillary to run. I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if during the election proper they straight up endorsed the republican.
They would absolutely endorse someone like John Kasich if he ran, but if it's someone like Jeb!, Trump, or Carson, they won't.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

While I still doubt Biden winds up jumping in, bear in mind one thing:

The person who leaked Joe and Beau's death bed conversation (where Beau urged him to run) was Joe. You don't do that if you're sure you won't jump in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This. Hillary's answers to presser questions are stuff that won't ever give the news anything to gawk at on the morning/sunday shows. They're tailored expertly to be as inoffensive and bland as possible while taking an actual position (e.g. not like Walker's "I'll punt on that one" poo poo) while the news channels need some kind of controversy or horse race to get eyeballs on commercials. There's no way they could ever squeeze viewer interest out of following Hillary but they know people will tune the gently caress in if they are told there might be an upset. Hence all of the stuff about Bernard and Biden and emails.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Why does the press hate Hillary so much?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

This. Hillary's answers to presser questions are stuff that won't ever give the news anything to gawk at on the morning/sunday shows. They're tailored expertly to be as inoffensive and bland as possible while taking an actual position (e.g. not like Walker's "I'll punt on that one" poo poo) while the news channels need some kind of controversy or horse race to get eyeballs on commercials. There's no way they could ever squeeze viewer interest out of following Hillary but they know people will tune the gently caress in if they are told there might be an upset. Hence all of the stuff about Bernard and Biden and emails.

Can't blame Hillary for not wanting to be an exhibit in the dog and pony show yet, though. There's less than no points to be won this far out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The funniest part is that the media is accepting that no one will take the other 3 Democrats actually running seriously.

Epic High Five posted:

She knows how to play them from Bill's career. And that gets them so mad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

"The Press" is varied on her, with a lot of their problems being kinda hilarious entitled 'she doesn't let us in 24/7' stuff.

The New York Times hates literally anyone with the last name Clinton to the point where I'm positive if given a chance they'd run a George Clinton hit piece.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

The funniest part is that the media is accepting that no one will take the other 3 Democrats actually running seriously.

I no joke can't name the third unless you're counting Sanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

She's the reason Bill got that blowie.

• Locked thread