Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I no joke can't name the third unless you're counting Sanders.

I mean O'malley, Chafee and Webb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

I mean O'malley, Chafee and Webb.

Completely forgot Webb

Like all of America

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Completely forgot Webb

Like all of America

Less remarkable than Jim Gilmore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Epic High Five posted:

Why does the press hate Hillary so much?

Because Hillary felt that the press aided and abetted witch hunts against her and Bill Clinton in the early 90's, both during his primary run and presidency, and as a result has generally been very dismissive of the press in general. She also attacks the press's ethics and credentials. The media in general hates being accused of bias or being unprofessional. She gives very little access to her campaign staff and advisors; compare her to John McCain who had the press ride with him in his bus, sat in the press section of the plane to chat off the record, and always provided donuts and meals to reporters for free.

The animosity Hillary shows to the press is compounded with the professional incentive to "bring down" a politician ala Watergate, so journalists really gun for Hillary because she is secretive, high-profile, and mean to them. She is then even more secretive and mean to them and the process loops infinitely.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 12, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

Can't blame Hillary for not wanting to be an exhibit in the dog and pony show yet, though. There's less than no points to be won this far out.

Hell, I'll never blame her for it, the race is hers to lose and she isn't going to shoot herself in the foot giving them something they might run with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Completely forgot Webb

Like all of America

He seriously hasn't bothered campaigning. That Lawrence Lessig guy who's the 6th guy running for Democratic primary has actually done more campaigning.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

He seriously hasn't bothered campaigning. That Lawrence Lessig guy who's the 6th guy running for Democratic primary has actually done more campaigning.

Oh man is mr 'give me tons of money to take money out of politics' gonna be in the debate?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh man is mr 'give me tons of money to take money out of politics' gonna be in the debate?

No, but if the next debate has the same entrance rules he might be in that one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's not allowed in Tuesday, but it's possible someone gets booted and he gets in next debate.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not enough in the polls to actually be in the debate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, but if the next debate has the same entrance rules he might be in that one.

I just really want a national debate to have a dude who answers literally everything with 'that's for my VP to decide because I'm going to quit ASAP when I get my pet project done'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know who else had raw and sustained contempt for the press?

That's right. Richard M. Nixon.

Nixon was a good President, and I'm sure Hillary will also be.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because Hillary felt that the press aided and abetted witch hunts against her and Bill Clinton in the early 90's, both during his primary run and presidency, and as a result has generally been very dismissive of the press in general. She also attacks the press's ethics and credentials. The media in general hates being accused of bias or being unprofessional. She gives very little access to her campaign staff and advisors; compare her to John McCain who had the press ride with him in his bus, sat in the press section of the plane to chat off the record, and always provided donuts and meals to reporters for free.

The animosity Hillary shows to the press is compounded with the professional incentive to "bring down" a politician ala Watergate, so journalists really gun for Hillary because she is secretive, high-profile, and mean to them. She is then even more secretive and mean to them and the process loops infinitely.

"I hope the press chokes on its own bile, and it replaced with a less terrible institution" is a bumper sticker I'd buy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

That's not the impression I got from that interview, but I suppose that is one interpretation.
It is certainly the one the activists she said it to took

Kalman posted:

You mean when she pointed out that the federal government constitutionally doesn't have the police power and can't directly affect it? I am okay with having a president that recognizes that there are limits on what can be done directly and what ultimately does have to be done on the local level when those limits are basic elements of our constitution.

(And hey, Campaign Zero agrees with her that successful reform will involve federal, state, and local efforts, but you go ahead and keep believing that that's somehow a negative.)
I mean where she told BLM to gently caress off, but nice spin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's a weird way to tell someone to gently caress off by meeting with them and supporting them and poo poo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know who else had raw and sustained contempt for the press?

That's right. Richard M. Nixon.

Does anyone find it bizarre as hell that a Nixon parody account has done considerably better at predicting where the race will go than all these talking heads?

I mean I guess it isn't that odd when you consider that the guy behind it isn't in a bubble like say Mark Halperin or Lanny Davis is, but still

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's a weird way to tell someone to gently caress off by meeting with them and supporting them and poo poo.

Shhhh don't hurt the fragile narrativity.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost like a politician has to walk a line between "I'm not going to help you" and "I still want your support" huh?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Fried Chicken posted:

It is certainly the one the activists she said it to took

I mean where she told BLM to gently caress off, but nice spin.

You mean when she gave them direct advice on how to actually accomplish something instead of going the way of occupy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

It's almost like a politician has to walk a line between "I'm not going to help you" and "I still want your support" huh?

It's almost like you actually don't know what you're talking about but are just spouting talking points as if they're sick burns.

Her only time she 'blew off' BLM was a moment when yea she kinda snubbed them before a speech, that she made up for by meeting them AFTER the speech for a private discussion that the snubbed people went on to say 'yea it was a good talk' about.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nintendo Kid posted:

Winning Vice Presidential debates against two of the dumbest VP candidates in Republican history is no sort of evidence he can win against anybody but Webb in the current primary.

I don't think anyone saw as that back in 2008 and 2012, honestly.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
So is there any chance at all the House GOP just says "gently caress it" and lets the Freedom Caucus have their crazy speaker? I'd love to see the media shitshow that would result in an election year shutdown and/or impeachment hearings, and it seems like this is the only way it would happen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

Most people saw that Sarah Palin spouted word salad and Paul Ryan couldn't go into more detail then "I'm a numbers guy!"

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Job Truniht posted:

In 2012 the claim was that Paul Ryan was actually smart, at least.

Though I think in 2008 Joe Biden literally won just by reminding the viewers that Sarah Palin never actually answered the question

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Defenestration posted:

Gun control is a feminist issue. About 1/3 of female murder victims aged 12 or older are killed by an intimate partner. We see spree shooters specifically target women, and express misogynist views and male entitlement

http://opdv.ny.gov/statistics/nationaldvdata/intparthom.html
http://www.bustle.com/articles/115068-why-gun-control-is-a-feminist-issue-because-mass-shootings-disproportionately-target-women

Not only that, but initial surveys of MRA and reactionary communities on the Internet show them to be overwhelmingly made up of men who identify as anything from libertarian to strongly conservative, depending on the community.

It's one of the reasons why they're so intractable on the suicide issue. You can't make the "women/girls are actually much more likely than men/boys to attempt suicide but will tend to do so by ineffective means and fail while men are more likely to successfully kill themselves by virtue of their greater access to guns" argument with somebody who thinks that guns are awesome and therefore totally unrelated to the issue.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

point of return posted:

In 2012 the claim was that Paul Ryan was actually smart, at least.

Though I think in 2008 Joe Biden literally won just by reminding the viewers that Sarah Palin never actually answered the question

Joe Biden actually used a lot of skill in the 2008 debate. He had to be trained significantly to deal with Palin's unconventional speaking and lack of truths, while also never attacking her and making her look sympathetic. It was especially difficult for him because at one point she got needlessly personal about family stuff on his side.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Paul Ryan really is a idiot and he's the choice for Speaker. He is their best choice. If that doesn't tell you anything about the Republican party I don't know what will. Paul "Rand makes the best case for the morality of democratic capitalism." Ryan or would it be Paul Don't give me Ayn Rand Ryan

Which will it be? Either one is pants on head retarded.

Paul Ryan's about as much a numbers guy as Ben Carson is a American Ninja Warrior who we should launch out of a ICBM whenever we have a gun shooting because he knows how to stop mass shooters.

Paul Ryan is a idiot.

So that's why he will take the Speaker job on Wednesday.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Paul Ryan's hip and can totally curl a mean dumbbell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
paul ryan ruined the word "wonk" forever by being one of those doltish young assholes that the beltway press occasionally falls in love with

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*spells out "Not Afraid to Make Tough Adult Decisions on Entitlements" in macaroni on paul ryan collage* hi im a serious commentator

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Epic High Five posted:

Why does the press hate Hillary so much?
The only interesting things she ever does are scandals.

When she isn't defending herself she is ratings poison.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Completely forgot Webb

Like all of America

There was literally a mother Jones piece written by the guy covering the webb campaign with a headline like "wait is Jim webb actually running for president" where he emails a bunch of Webb campaign staff and never hears back

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pathetic little tramp posted:

There was literally a mother Jones piece written by the guy covering the webb campaign with a headline like "wait is Jim webb actually running for president" where he emails a bunch of Webb campaign staff and never hears back

What's Webb's deal?

I mean I get the other losers on both sides are just in it as something to do/way to sell a book/gives you reason to go on the news with a fancy little 'presidential candidate' placard under your head, but...you have to be doing poo poo to take advantage of that. What is Webb doing? Did he file by accident and he's too embarrassed to say so?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pathetic little tramp posted:

As a reminder: back in September Webb was scheduled to give a speech at the New Hampshire State Democratic Convention. He never showed up and didn't tell anyone until like the morning of.

Even Lawrence Lessig had shown up and given a speech! As of course did Clinton, o'malley, Sanders and Chafee.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What's Webb's deal?

I mean I get the other losers on both sides are just in it as something to do/way to sell a book/gives you reason to go on the news with a fancy little 'presidential candidate' placard under your head, but...you have to be doing poo poo to take advantage of that. What is Webb doing? Did he file by accident and he's too embarrassed to say so?

The Webb slogan is "hey, everyone else might die and I'll win by default"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Webb relying on the bold gambit of 'wait for a meteor to crash into the debate, statistically it's not IMPOSSIBLE'.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder what Carson's will do in the next month or so. He's been spewing poo poo so foul not even Deckard Cain could describe it.

Which makes me wonder which of the Prime Evils the top 3 are, respectively.

My guess:

Cruz is Mephisto, eldest of the three, Lord of Hatred. Corrupted an honorable and ancient religion.

Carson is Baal, Lord of Destruction. Awoke after the others, and destroyed the ancient strongholds which guard the Worldstone.

Trump is Diablo, Lord of Terror. Youngest and most potent of the three. Because there's no way he isn't the one whose name is synonymous with the brand and whose name is plastered over everything.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Webb relying on the bold gambit of 'wait for a meteor to crash into the debate, statistically it's not IMPOSSIBLE'.

you never know, all other life on earth barring jim webb could die out between now and the election

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Gun control (beyond the currently existing, flawed yet mostly adequate body of laws) is a loving stupid issue for democrats or the left to focus on and the fact that Hillary Clinton is latching onto it as something she can attack Bernie from the left on ought to be a major warning sign about its worth as a political goal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Paul Ryan. Speaker of the House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
In case you missed it because you were watching the Russian Grand Prix or sleeping, watching the tea partier and "moderate republican" fight each other on Meet The Press this morning was loving hilarious.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/republican-congressman-we-have-get-our-act-together-n442466

• Locked thread