Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Melian Dialogue posted:

Christ, the military is the only organization that so loving fetishes its processes to the point that this is the way to go because its "military values". God i hate the Military so loving much, its 90% manchildren and weird fetishists all the way up.

Pretty sure this is the only way we can convince the rest of the country that we're "taking the problem seriously" after General Tommy made those off-colour comments this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

No, y'know what's going to change the system?

loving charge parades. A lot of them.

"You sexually harassed a subordinate? Immediate reduction in rank."

"You did it again? Congrats on your Big Chicken Dinner."

You sexually harass a co-worker in ANY OTHER FIELD and you wanna bet how fast your rear end would be on the unemployment line? But because it's HOOAH ARMY STRONG there's some leeway.

No. gently caress that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Someone on this page has never been to Ottawa. Nobody gets charged for poo poo here.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

flakeloaf posted:

Someone on this page has never been to Ottawa. Nobody gets charged for poo poo here.

The hub of our top heavy military doesn't receive the same quantity of charges everyone else does? Wowza :v:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

acumen posted:

loving :lol:

I'm dying to know how many CO's actually gave that out to their units/OC's/Pl Comd's like actual orders.

2 CFFTS, 15 Wing Moose Jaw.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Every air force unit. At every level. Jeezus, I'm getting tired of reading these order sets.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I guess that's what happens when the order states that EVERY commander needs to write their own, specific orders relating to the CDS direction, orders that needed to be blessed by several (many) layers above before being further promulgated.

I'm holding out for the sweet wristbands that will be in an offensive shade of pink, be a mandatory purchase, come out in 2019 due to procurement issues, and be made by some factory in Quebec that existed solely to fulfil the contract to make the lovely things in the first place.

#NoTIMMYCF

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Don't forget about how shoddy they'll be made and probably give rashes and cancer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Athabaskan blew an engine. Again.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Apply more duct tape.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why even pretend to have a navy?

We need funding to even have the illusion of sovereignty.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know anything about EGS tech?

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Has anyone here ever had to do another swim test after BMQ (other than changing trades, etc).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BIG NORTH posted:

Has anyone here ever had to do another swim test after BMQ (other than changing trades, etc).

I'd heard that it was part of the JTF-2 qualification until they tossed it cause they were losing too many good assaulters in the pool.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
If you are posted to a ship you will re-qualify for sea survival periodically (in the pool), and you have to do a sea survival course if you are aircrew (in the ocean, and pool). Both are mostly just floating though, not swimming as such. Also getting dragged behind boats in the air force one.

Other circumstances, I dunno, but there is no general annual swimming re-qualification for Forces members.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
We did them almost every year in 3RCR.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I remember it was required for pers interested in CSOR. But if they removed the need for JTF2 they might have done the same for CSOR.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Yeah, back in the infantry mo days we did it on our BIQ/DP2 cause of the boat stuff, and then anytime we had guys going out on a boat they had to be swim tested (within a year I think?)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
We did swim testing at 1 CER once before a unit sponsored canoe trip under the guise of adventure training. It would have been great but the canoe with all of our beer flipped and people kept trying to vulture my whiskey. I miss the army sometimes. I mostly miss being able to tell people who need to shut the gently caress up to shut the gently caress up and not have them get all sensitive about it. Sometimes you just need to shut the gently caress up it's no big deal I ain't mad.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

BIG NORTH posted:

As part of training for the Ironman.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

For some dumb river-crossing exercise.

We had a guy too fat to climb out of the pool unaided.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu I hope the idiot that dumped that boat was found hanging from his nuts the next morning

Also you gotta spread that precious cargo between boats.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Graduating next April and was considering going DEO, but it seems like NCM get to do more cool poo poo

but I'd like to tell myself i got a degree for a good reason dammit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

SuperSix posted:

Graduating next April and was considering going DEO, but it seems like NCM get to do more cool poo poo

but I'd like to tell myself i got a degree for a good reason dammit

It was to get paid more money, have a better pension, and be entitled to a better quality of life at literally every stage in your career.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought "Don't Enlist with a Degree" was the unofficial motto of GiP.

e: Started dating a RCAF O. She gets paid x3 more than me to supervise two people and present a power point once a week.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Holy poo poo, never enlist with a degree. Jesus christ, don't be stupid and caught up in the "glamour" of being badass or whatever.

As an NCM: we're all loving stupid retards who think our "salt of the earth" shtick makes our common sense better than an actual education or logic or any other modicum of thought.

Unless you're interested in a technical NCM position and don't want to be in a leadership role right away, go DEO.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Holy poo poo, never enlist with a degree. Jesus christ, don't be stupid and caught up in the "glamour" of being badass or whatever.

As an NCM: we're all loving stupid retards who think our "salt of the earth" shtick makes our common sense better than an actual education or logic or any other modicum of thought.

Unless you're interested in a technical NCM position and don't want to be in a leadership role right away, go DEO.

Oh god okay thank you all for convincing me it's a bad idea. Although the reason isn't far off what I posted. The technical aspects of my degree (Geography/GIS) is pretty much only applicable to Geo tech, and Algonquin doesn't sound so bad considering I'm from Ottawa originally.

Otherwise I'd have to pursue my pirating dreams and apply for MARS or LogO because my vision is no bueno by like a fraction so I wouldn't actually qualify to do actually cool/boring poo poo like combat arms

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I hear GeoTech isnt bad because the trades training system in it sounds fantastic* (in that its run by an actual real school and not some bullshit "Centre of Excellence" run by mouth breathing retards in standards teaching off a master plan from the 1930s) and that you get a diploma afterwards.

But, I can't comment on the actual working culture is like there. I imagine though if you did lots of GIS in your degree then the 2 year diploma they do might be below what you already know (though I can't say for certain). Algonquin has the details of the course on their website.

*Can you imagine if Int had a 5A that was run by an actual university or college too? Holy christ, you'd actually get training that was useful than "lets sketch over a digitized map with coloured markers even though we have an entire trade who could literally check a checkmark off in arcGIS and print you an overlay"

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 14, 2015

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was an infantry NCM and got to do a whole bunch of really cool poo poo, learned a lot about myself, gained a lot of confidence, and had excellent work experience that landed me a great job civilian side. ymmv I guess

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Melian Dialogue posted:

I hear GeoTech isnt bad because the trades training system in it sounds fantastic* (in that its run by an actual real school and not some bullshit "Centre of Excellence" run by mouth breathing retards in standards teaching off a master plan from the 1930s) and that you get a diploma afterwards.

But, I can't comment on the actual working culture is like there. I imagine though if you did lots of GIS in your degree then the 2 year diploma they do might be below what you already know (though I can't say for certain). Algonquin has the details of the course on their website.

*Can you imagine if Int had a 5A that was run by an actual university or college too? Holy christ, you'd actually get training that was useful than "lets sketch over a digitized map with coloured markers even though we have an entire trade who could literally check a checkmark off in arcGIS and print you an overlay"

stop it you're triggering me

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 7, 2016

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It was more a response to his first comment than anything else. I'm aware pretty much every other enlisted trade does sweet gently caress all.

Degrees mean jack poo poo nowadays though and we had tons of NCMs in my unit with them - work/life experience is much more meaningful.

VV I'm a police dispatcher

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 15, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
What kind of sweet civvy job did infantry get you?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

acumen posted:

Degrees mean jack poo poo nowadays though and we had tons of NCMs in my unit with them - work/life experience is much more meaningful.

Sure, I agree objectively life experience and work experience can be much more meaningful, but you can't say a degree is worth poo poo when so many jobs have that as a bare minimum for application or competitiveness. Sure, a degree doesnt guarantee you a sick job, but lots of sick jobs require a degree.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The complaints about another Decade of Darkness have already started. :canada:

I wonder what "Traditions" the Tories would have brought back if they stayed in charge. Now that all 3 services have unique ranks and insignia, I was afraid Side/Peaked caps might make a come-back.

One of my buddies unironically bitched that he probably won't get "trigger time" in Iraq or Syria now.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm getting those too. Even when I left the regs four years ago they were receiving catastrophic budget cuts. That same year we didn't even have enough .338 ammo to run annual quals on the C14's.

Anyone know if Leslie's got a shot at becoming Minister of National Defense? I'm still hoping he just bips NDHQ.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

acumen posted:

I'm getting those too. Even when I left the regs four years ago they were receiving catastrophic budget cuts. That same year we didn't even have enough .338 ammo to run annual quals on the C14's.

Anyone know if Leslie's got a shot at becoming Minister of National Defense? I'm still hoping he just bips NDHQ.

I can't imagine anyone else in the Liberal party with the kind of pedigree that Leslie would have as MND.

Definitely one of the most positive aspects of the election as far as I'm concerned. Leslie was spot-on about his assessment of the top-heaviness of the CAF and its endless array of HQs and Captains making $90k doing a Corporal's job

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Conventional wisdom says that he won't be MND, because as a very recent ex-general he'll be seen as too close to the CAF to be objective.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I don't think we have to worry about a dude whose last report can be summed up with "Burn it all down" being too close to the establishment. Besides, we had ex Brigadier Gordon O'Connor as MND and everyone taught what a fine idea that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

MA-Horus posted:

Samu I hope the idiot that dumped that boat was found hanging from his nuts the next morning

Also you gotta spread that precious cargo between boats.

It was the loving troop commander and troop warrants canoe. Don't get me wrong everyone brought their own booze but the personal stuff lasted like 2 nights. They didn't want us to have the beer because they thought we'd just get blotto'd, which was true, but don't flip the canoe. The warrant kept joking about how all the beer was weighing down their canoe without realising the beer was weighing down their god drat canoe.