Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

we are all Bears fans for the next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The tradition of firing people after London losses must be continued. Logically there's no way Reid or Smith are canned, so it only makes sense the Lions will lose and Lombardi's gone then

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Neodoomium posted:

The Lions will lose on Thanksgiving, as is tradition

Playing the Eagles again...hopefully more snow

Edit..nvm its in a stupid dome...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kawalimus posted:

For the undefeated watch I just mentioned this in another thread:

We have a really good chance at getting the Patriots being undefeated going into their game against the Giants this year. How cool would that be to see??

I think it would be real cool. Especially when the Patriots lose again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

Caldwell says he's not changing any coaches this week. Also Stafford's starting.

Things are looking good for this thread staying alive until at least Thanksgiving.

If they blow it next week at home against Chicago I think there's a very real chance that they go winless. Caldwell and Lombardi have no idea what they're doing and I wouldn't be surprised if players have started checking out for the season. If Chicago beats them on their own turf then they'll definitely start checking out and the current regime won't be able to get them back. At this point I'd say their only winnable games are Chicago next week and hosting SF in Week 16. Saints fans would have you think otherwise but I don't think this Detroit team can win in NO. They even lost a winnable game through a freak accident that maybes comes up once in an entire season across all teams, just like in 2008!

I know I've been crowing about how I knew long before this season that Detroit's window was closed, and how no one should have any expectations for them this year, but even so they have looked completely awful. I'm honestly surprised at how far they've fallen but I know I shouldn't be.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

@Justin_Rogers

Ameer Abdullah says he hasn't felt this bad since his friend died his junior season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Besides firing almost everyone, is there any real way to fix this poo poo show of a team?

Their defense is fine, it seems like their offense is the main issue, and of that the main problem is the line and the running game (which might also be the line).

Stafford's probably not ideal but he's better than anyone who's coming up in the draft and/or free agency.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Cruel and Unusual posted:

@Justin_Rogers

Ameer Abdullah says he hasn't felt this bad since his friend died his junior season.

Was his friend having an allergic reaction and ameer fumbled the epipen?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

Their defense is fine, it seems like their offense is the main issue, and of that the main problem is the line and the running game (which might also be the line).

Stafford's probably not ideal but he's better than anyone who's coming up in the draft and/or free agency.

With Andy Dalton's ascension I think we may need to rename it the Stafford Line.

He still has an unreal arm and Calvin Johnson, the Lions just need to bring someone in to unfuck him. Too bad Arians got snapped up by Arizona.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bip Roberts posted:

Cam 2 Megatron.

Give them both someone they deserve

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Give them both someone they deserve

Bip Roberts posted:

Rodgers 2 Megatron.

100% behind this

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Petite Dinklage posted:

100% behind this

I would probably go on some kind of murderous rampage if this happened, not gonna lie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

If they blow it next week at home against Chicago I think there's a very real chance that they go winless. Caldwell and Lombardi have no idea what they're doing and I wouldn't be surprised if players have started checking out for the season. If Chicago beats them on their own turf then they'll definitely start checking out and the current regime won't be able to get them back. At this point I'd say their only winnable games are Chicago next week and hosting SF in Week 16. Saints fans would have you think otherwise but I don't think this Detroit team can win in NO. They even lost a winnable game through a freak accident that maybes comes up once in an entire season across all teams, just like in 2008!

I know I've been crowing about how I knew long before this season that Detroit's window was closed, and how no one should have any expectations for them this year, but even so they have looked completely awful. I'm honestly surprised at how far they've fallen but I know I shouldn't be.

One person stood up and talked to the locker room after the game reportedly.

That person?

Josh Bynes. Backup linebacker Josh Bynes.

Between that, their on-field performance, and a player comparing how he feels now to how he felt when someone he loved died, they've already checked out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Brannock posted:

He still has an unreal arm and Calvin Johnson, the Lions just need to bring someone in to unfuck him.

This was exactly the motivation for bringing in Caldwell in the first place :lol:

Cruel and Unusual posted:

@Justin_Rogers

Chris James 2 posted:

One person stood up and talked to the locker room after the game reportedly.

That person?

Josh Bynes. Backup linebacker Josh Bynes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Why do Jim Caldwell and Martin Mayhew still have jobs? I mean mayhew should've been fired after he lost both franchise cornerstones in the agency and Caldwell should never have been hired in the first place.

good lord Lions.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I would have been ok with them firing the staff at halftime. gently caress waiting until after london.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
bynes has been terrible this year, and he's the voice of the lockerroom?

fml
gently caress my lions

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Meet the new Lions, same as the old Lions.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/653375687018082304

#azcardinals DE Cory Redding admitted he intentionally didn’t run over Stafford after INT. Saw no need for it.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

hifi posted:

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/653375687018082304

#azcardinals DE Cory Redding admitted he intentionally didn’t run over Stafford after INT. Saw no need for it.

what a gentleman

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"This dude keeps throwing us picks. why the gently caress would we hurt him."

old dog child posted:

we are all Bears fans for the next week

Also this path only leads to disappointment.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

adaz posted:

Why do Jim Caldwell and Martin Mayhew still have jobs? I mean mayhew should've been fired after he lost both franchise cornerstones in the agency and Caldwell should never have been hired in the first place.

good lord Lions.

Well, the defense is actually OK. I'd fire Mayhew for keeping Joe Lombardi and completely botching the right tackle position, but then again, Lombardi's scheme is completely unsuited for the linemen Mayhew's given him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Niners are sitting at 7th in the draft order and climbing. We're coming for you, Detroit.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The Lions history is tainted to the point where anybody who joins the organization and stays with it for any length of time eventually becomes incapable of imagining themselves winning under any sort of pressure. It saps that belief away over a period of years compounded by the pedigree of talent that has wasted away wearing Honolulu Blue.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dexo posted:

"This dude keeps throwing us picks. why the gently caress would we hurt him."

Also this path only leads to disappointment.

I'm drinking REDD'S WICKED MANGO so i think i'm ready

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Niners are sitting at 7th in the draft order and climbing. We're coming for you, Detroit.

If you think you can out suck the AFC South you're in for a surprise

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Cutler has some receivers back, they dont win there. I cant see them stopping AP. If Alex Smith somehow beats them in London, Caldwell is the next UK Victim. It just a good time since the BYE week is after you have time to get the new coach in there and practicing his way with your off week.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Nothing short of lucking into the next Lombardi the elder, Knoll, Walsh or Bellichik can save the Lions

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Metapod posted:

If you think you can out suck the AFC South you're in for a surprise

You guys have to all play each other twice, there's going to be at least a couple of you forced out of the running by sheer attrition

I think the Lions and Saints are our real competition, but even New Orleans should hopefully string together a few wins once Brees is back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lol that anyone's still under the impression they could be saved

I'd say "someday, everyone will realize they won't see a Lions championship in their lifetime" but jesus christ. They had the best running back of all time and never even came close. They had the best receiver of all time and became the first team to go 0-16. Do they really need to also waste away the best quarterback of all time and the best coach of all time for people to comprehend this team is never achieving success?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Supposedly the reason they hired Caldwell (I mean other than the fact that Wisenhunt turned them down and they were scrambling) was that he had this detailed plan on how he was going to reduce Stafford's interception rate. So this is why you have this dink and dunk horseshit offense that does not throw deep. But Stafford isnt accurate enough to make it work.

The worst part is I think even if you had a magic wand and could swap out Joe Lombardi for any other offensive coordinator, pro or college, I dont think they could turn this team into a potent offense. Line isnt good enough, running backs arent good enough (and cant hold on to the ball), and Stafford still gets fooled by any non-preseason or prevent defense. I could almost understand that if this was year two and you were still new-ish to the league and D-coordinators had a years worth of tape on you. But this is year 7 and I dont see him flipping that particular switch.

Until now I think the team has been completely unwilling to criticize Stafford. Total sunk cost theory. They would of course blame the line or the lack of weapons (and sure some years it was pretty grim out there). They would even trot out completely irrelevant stats when the offense was berated in the media - like the team being 2nd in total yards one year. Who cares how many yards you get if you are near the bottom of the league in scoring because you keep turning it over or miss field goals or commit drive-killing penalties? I can understand trying to protect your #1 overall pick, but after continually telling everyone how wonderful he is you had to pay him elite QB money and now your cap room is hamstrung.

I took some flak from my friends when I picked them to be 1-4 at this point because they were a "playoff team"

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd say "someday, everyone will realize they won't see a Lions championship in their lifetime" but jesus christ. They had the best running back of all time and never even came close. They had the best receiver of all time and became the first team to go 0-16. Do they really need to also waste away the best quarterback of all time and the best coach of all time for people to comprehend this team is never achieving success?

idgi, why would Brady and Belchick go the Lions?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Magicpants posted:

idgi, why would Brady and Belchick go the Lions?

Once they get 19-0, their only challenge left before retirement will be "Can we prove we can dominate on even the worst team?"

The answer will be a no, but it will lead to beautiful tantrum gifs, which will make it worthwhile

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chris James 2 posted:

My grandfather can remember when people thought that way of Pittsburgh

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Chris James 2 posted:

Once they get 19-0, their only challenge left before retirement will be "Can we prove we can dominate on even the worst team?"

The answer will be a no, but it will lead to beautiful tantrum gifs, which will make it worthwhile

I wanna live in this universe

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Chris James 2 posted:

Jerry Rice was never on the Lions

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

sweet thursday posted:

The Lions history is tainted to the point where anybody who joins the organization and stays with it for any length of time eventually becomes incapable of imagining themselves winning under any sort of pressure. It saps that belief away over a period of years compounded by the pedigree of talent that has wasted away wearing Honolulu Blue.

I know that we Lions fans thrive on self-pity but at this point the Lions "history" really is that bad. They've been so bad for so long that there is nothing to be proud of or optimistic about. Other teams that suck right now like the Niners at least have history to look back, while others still like the Texans haven't been around long enough to be truly soul-crushing. gently caress, even the Raiders, who have the worst or second-worst record over the past several years, fall into that first category. Detroit has nothing. They have always been poo poo, and when they haven't been poo poo they've been window dressing, which is arguably worse.

My mom was born the same year Detroit last won a football championship (1957) and my dad was only four years old. During their SNF game this year (or some other recent game) they put up a graphic of teams across all major sports leagues who have gone the longest without appearing in their respective championship games. It was the Detroit Lions, the Chicago Cubs, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Sacramento Kings (and maybe one or two other teams), and I think Detroit had all of them beat except maybe the Cubs.

E: And with all of this evidence coming out that playing football is bad for you and parents pulling their kids out of it, my secret fear is that the NFL will undergo some sort of huge paradigm shift and cease to be what we know it as today, and the Super Bowl will vanish with the Lions never having been there. That years from now they'll win the conference championship, and then that same night a player will die on the field during the AFC championship or the venue of that game will be the target of a terrorist attack and the league will cancel the rest of the season and never recover. If SA is still around when that happens feel free to quote this.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Nothing short of lucking into the next Lombardi the elder, Knoll, Walsh or Bellichik can save the Lions

Thank you for adding the "elder" qualifier, I was about to be triggered big time.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 12, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Mike Sullivan ‏@MikeSullivan

Golden Tate on fans: "I felt like at times our fan base turned their back on us. We expect them to be w/ us better next week. We need them."

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
It was the fans, of course! This was found in a trash can outside Ford Field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Seemed like a good time for a classic.

As a Toronto Maple Leafs fan I have a bit of empathy for you Lions fans. The Lions are approaching Leafs/Cubs levels of sad sack loserdom.

• Locked thread