Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jooky
Jan 15, 2003

or is it the coffee / deli chat thread, just want to make sure before i post something off topic!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

WeWork Used These Documents To Convince Investors It’s Worth Billions

quote:

Investors are bullish on the tale. The company has raised $1 billion in less than half a decade, and its valuation has grown commensurately. In February 2014, WeWork’s financiers said it was worth $1.5 billion. In December 2014, a new set of financiers pumped that number up to $5 billion. Half a year later, most of those same investors injected another round of funding that doubled WeWork’s valuation to $10 billion. At that price, WeWork is one of the most valuable startups to emerge from the tech boom, more valuable on paper than Slack, Draft Kings, Lyft, 23andMe, and Warby Parker combined.

WeWork expected operating profit of $4.2 million from revenue of $74.6 million by the end of 2014. By 2018, the company predicted operating profit of $941.6 million on revenue of $2.86 billion. The number of co-working members were to set to explode from 16,279 to 260,000 in the same time period. WeWork forecast 376 shared office location in 2018, up from 24 in 2014.

Here’s how WeWork works, according to the documents: The company doesn’t own real estate, but instead takes long-term leases in centrally located neighborhoods in gateway cities. So in order to make a profit, it has to charge members more than it pays landlords. WeWork is relying on additional revenue from raising office rents, selling services like health care, collecting commissions off its real estate deals, and signing people up for its co-living product.

At face value, WeWork should evaporate when the tech bubble bursts because its co-working spaces are filled with tiny startups that will eventually either run out of funding or return to the coffee shops and home offices from whence they came. The company counters that it’s diversified into industries beyond tech and brought on larger tenants, who will want to downsize if times get tough. WeWork also insists that it will retain “cost-conscious members,” pointing out that it launched in a downturn. But back then, competition offering the same sleek aesthetic was slim. Now venture capitalists are contemplating raising their own real estate fund for live/work spaces so investment dollars can’t be siphoned off by WeWork.

"technology" company wework is "valued" at $10 billion because millennials. it has revenue of of less than $100m, lmao. cant wait til the bubble bursts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
wework bought or at least put their sign on top of a huge office building on hollywood blvd

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
never knew whgat it was ty yospos

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jooky posted:

WeWork Used These Documents To Convince Investors It’s Worth Billions

"technology" company wework is "valued" at $10 billion because millennials. it has revenue of of less than $100m, lmao. cant wait til the bubble bursts.

put cameras in all of the coworking and coliving spaces, when the market craters pivot and rebrand as 'wefuck' live cams

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

never knew whgat it was ty yospos

the worst kind of scum, real estate middle men

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
my company is in a wework building. it's mostly empty. just empty floors, maybe 70% of offices on my floor are empty. used to be more but lol startups. they really need to start removing the logos from doors when the company leaves because it looks like a graveyard walking down the corridors

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the really good thing about leasing real estate instead of buying it is even though leasing is nearly as expensive as buying, at the end of the lease you don't actually own anything

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

the really good thing about leasing real estate instead of buying it is even though leasing is nearly as expensive as buying, at the end of the lease you don't actually own anything

this is unironically true for shitholes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

angry_keebler posted:

this is actually true though depending on how much you're saving by not owning and what else you can do with that saved money. you're also not stuck with a perpetually depreciating asset when the market collapses

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

WeTwerk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

read this as "wet work" and wondered what role erik prince will be taking in the upcoming adjustment

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

bought a battery on amazon and found it delivered via usps on a sunday.

i feel bad for the guy who had to deliver it. :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

KID UVE GOT SOMETHIN SPECIAL! I LOOK IN YOUR EYES AND SEE YOUTUBE MILLIONS KID! MILLIONS! VIEWERS CLICKING LIKE ON ALL YOUR VIRAL CONTENT! IMAGINE, YOUR BIG GRINNING MUG RIGHT ON THE TOP TWITCH.TV SMILING DOWN ON ALL THE TINY MEN AND WOMEN BELOW. THINK OF IT KID, YOU COULD BE THE NEXT REBECCA BLACK MEETS PEWDS! YOU COULD HAVE IT ALL! M&MS FROM HERE TO MISSOURA!

meanwhile one of the youtube kids that disney owns recently died a mysterious unexplained death so the family is going to livestream the funeral:

http://gawker.com/youtube-family-asks-that-we-respect-their-privacy-watc-1735033346

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 11, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What the hell is Co living

Do I even want to know

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

meanwhile one of the youtube kids that disney owns recently died a mysterious unexplained death so the family is going to livestream the funeral:

http://gawker.com/youtube-family-as...ontent=Netvibes

their kid dies and they're already exploiting it for publicity? :smith:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

http://gawker.com/youtube-family-as...ontent=Netvibes

nice tracking tags (speaking of bubbles$

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Condiv posted:

didn't he get scared of some thunder and have a heart attack or something, iirc they wouldn't say what killed him

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Condiv posted:

well who cares it's not like it bothers the dead kid and you can't sell corpses unless you're already established in the cadaver market

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

nice tracking tags (speaking of bubbles$

lol those got stuck on there from when a friend linked it and i forgot to remove them, there I updated it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

triple sulk posted:

didn't he get scared of some thunder and have a heart attack or something, iirc they wouldn't say what killed him

it was meme poisoning, from toxic levels of exposure to memes. we need to inform our children of the very real dangers of rasturbation and meme abuse

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The dogs in Up are to squirrels as venture capital and marketing are to millenials.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol that house near us which they were trying to sell for 1.4mil now has for rent signs everywhere and flyers and even a website

$5200/month

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cyberbird posted:

bought a battery on amazon and found it delivered via usps on a sunday.

i feel bad for the guy who had to deliver it. :(

don't. usps means a union worker probably got overtime which they volunteered for to do it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shifty Pony posted:

don't. usps means a union worker probably got overtime which they volunteered for to do it.

I spoke to my mail carrier when I saw him working on Sunday and he mentioned that Amazon pays for them to work deliveries only. Doesn't sound too bad to me....

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

syscall girl posted:

read this as "wet work" and wondered what role erik prince will be taking in the upcoming adjustment

Wetwerk is my erotic Kraftwerk coverband

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that house near us which they were trying to sell for 1.4mil now has for rent signs everywhere and flyers and even a website

$5200/month

there really are too many bushes at the white house

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a 2br has been on the market in my neighborhood for 2 whole weeks and hasn't sold yet, I'm shocked

[it's the same size as my current 1br]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like on tv shows and stuff there's always a trope where if the house is haunted or if someone was murdered in it previously it can't be sold, is that the case in the real world? if so i think i have a great start-up idea based around the ghost house economy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

like on tv shows and stuff there's always a trope where if the house is haunted or if someone was murdered in it previously it can't be sold, is that the case in the real world? if so i think i have a great start-up idea based around the ghost house economy

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension Economy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stambovsky_v._Ackley

quote:

Stambovsky v. Ackley, 169 A.D.2d 254 (N.Y. App. Div. 1991), commonly known as the Ghostbusters ruling, is a case in the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, that held that a house, which the owner had previously advertised to the public as haunted by ghosts, was legally haunted for the purpose of an action for rescission brought by a subsequent purchaser of the house.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shifty Pony posted:

one of our mail carriers was in the building this morning delivering for Amazon and we asked, she said they don't get overtime for deliveries today or tomorrow (Genocidal Rapist Conquistador Day, a Federal Holiday on which there's no mail delivery) and their union has been ineffective at changing that

I've also had to field multiple calls from our building's front door now for people "from Amazon Prime" wanting to be let in to deliver things we've ordered. I spoke to Amazon Logistics customer service to try to get our building designated as UPS/FedEx/USPS only, they said they couldn't but this is by far their most common complaint.

they also said they were implementing static routing for controlled-access buildings—a designated carrier for the building who gets a key fob after Amazon Logistics agrees to bear liability for access with it—by the end of the year

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"legally haunted" lol amazing

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'd like to statically route some stuff into Geoff Bozo's anus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

goldmine

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr Dog posted:

What the hell is Co living

Do I even want to know
Co-living is just jargon for adults living together. It usually implies something a bit more substantial than roommates though (eg you also run a startup in that house). But "co-living" has also been used to refer to people just living in hacker hostels even if they don't work on anything together.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
hmm thaTS interesting i co-live with a bondaged nigress ex-topless maid who ive chained to the radiator and ejaculate upon while she wails in agony as her bindings tear at her supple oily flesh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
smythe's gimmick gettin a lil creepy

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

smythe's gimmick gettin a lil creepy

lol if u think its a gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM