Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

This cartoon is factually incorrect. Harper's Islamophobia is attracting waaaay more birds. Today/yesterday we found out that the Prime Minister's Office was personally approving or denying all non-UN refugee claims, with the stated goal of letting in Christians but not Muslims.

(hands up those of you who think this might actually affect the election results so I know who here is a dumb motherfucker)

Is that actually legal in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Feeding birds is very illegal in Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Is that actually legal in Canada?

It turns out that When the Prime Minister Does It, It's Not Illegal.

aka turns out 90% of Canadian governance was just according to convention with no actual rules or laws saying what you can and can't do and then we elected someone who didn't give a poo poo about convention and did whatever the gently caress he wanted and then we realized that there are actually no checks on the power of the prime minister's office

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

vyelkin posted:

aka turns out 90% of Canadian governance was just according to convention with no actual rules or laws saying what you can and can't do and then we elected someone who didn't give a poo poo about convention and did whatever the gently caress he wanted and then we realized that there are actually no checks on the power of the prime minister's office

Oopsie

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, it's definitely unconstitutional, in that religious discrimination is in the Charter even separate from freedom of religion, and citizenship isn't a requirement for its protection. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what sort of remedy the courts could fashion even if someone brought a Charter claim, so.... :shrug:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Darkman Fanpage posted:

But it's piiiiink! :qq: That's a girl's color!!!

Which is about a close as Muir can get to "humor" that doesn't involve wingnut diatribes and/or gratuitous breast shots.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

vyelkin posted:

This profoundly fits every Canadian stereotype I have, as well as explaining the problems Canada has. Thank you.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Doopliss posted:

I mean, it's definitely unconstitutional, in that religious discrimination is in the Charter even separate from freedom of religion, and citizenship isn't a requirement for its protection. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what sort of remedy the courts could fashion even if someone brought a Charter claim, so.... :shrug:

If Harper truly believes that Christians are being targeted by ISIL, Section 15 (2) (the "affirmative action" clause) would probably provide legal justification for this policy:

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms posted:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

make them clocks and we've got ourselves a deal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

But it's piiiiink! :qq: That's a girl's color!!!

One time, we only had large Bics at work that were Playboy branded. So I grabbed a pink one, because if I'm going to use a Playboy lighter, I'm going to rock a pink one. This proved a popular choice with customers whilst on smoke breaks.

Muir: less sense of style than whiteboy goons who work graveyard shifts at convenience stores.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:nallears:

Have another drink, drunky.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

Have another drink, drunky.

It's not his fault the newspapers need him to complete his strips twelve years in advance. The "latte sipping" liberal comic will make a lot more sense when he's finished the arc with sushi and Volvo jokes and the Dean scream.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is just the slow realization that you're too old to enjoy twee bullshit any more.

This is probably the correct answer. But that also means that were I to read Scott Pilgrim now in my 30s then I would not enjoy it like I did when I was in my mid 20s! This is probably true for other things I enjoyed as well.

So, no friend. I cannot acknowledge this claim. Instead I will bury my balding head in the sand only to peep out through rose colored lenses and pretend everything I liked is good forever.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hey man, you like what you like. Lewis Carol was getting kicks from Fairy Tales in his fifties.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

WarpedNaba posted:

Hey man, you like what you like. Lewis Carol was getting kicks from Fairy Tales in his fifties.

The anime?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Fairy Tales. Plural.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I bet Lewis Carol would like anime.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I can't think of a late 19th/early 20th century writer who wouldn't.

Mark Twain would be all over that poo poo.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Hillary Cunton

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I saw this pumpkin spice latte thing all over Facebook some weeks ago (as per Tinsley's delay) but only for like three days. How long did it actually go on for before I noticed though?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hillary Cunton

It's a funnier joke than the real one.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

this is good. this is a good cartoon.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Why the gently caress hasn't the world boycotted Australia over this yet, seriously

Huh, a candidate trying to take a stand on an utterly inconsequential issue in order to galvanize the base, would be a real shame if Bloom County beat you to that joke by a week and a bit, wouldn't it Tinsley?

From October 1, 2015

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Lewis Carroll would have loved anime. Being as how he was very fond of underage girls and all.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Somfin posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't the world boycotted Australia over this yet, seriously

Because Australia is run by white people and the people they're sending to concentration camps aren't white?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Huh, a candidate trying to take a stand on an utterly inconsequential issue in order to galvanize the base, would be a real shame if Bloom County beat you to that joke by a week and a bit, wouldn't it Tinsley?

From October 1, 2015

You're supposed to use two spaces after a period?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's how I was taught. But that was in the days before Word automatically put a space after the end of a sentence, so it's probably fallen out of favor.

Now, oxford commas, those we can probably have a big fight over.(Pro Ox-Com, here)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bobulus posted:

That's how I was taught. But that was in the days before Word automatically put a space after the end of a sentence, so it's probably fallen out of favor.

Now, oxford commas, those we can probably have a big fight over.(Pro Ox-Com, here)

Anybody who doesn't use Ox-Com is a bad writer.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Every example of why we allegedly need the Oxford comma is contrived, dishonest and unrealistic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Every example of why we allegedly need the Oxford comma is contrived, dishonest and, unrealistic.

:agesilaus:

Anyway, the pro-skub/anti-skub cartoon from PBF seems perfect to be replaced with Clinton and Sanders.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Every example of why we allegedly need the Oxford comma is contrived, dishonest and unrealistic.

You're wrong, cruel and unusual.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, Word broke that. Thanks, Microsoft! :mad:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Somfin posted:

Because secretly the world wishes they could get away with it too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You were with typewriters, but that had more to do with monospaced fonts than anything else. The current advice is to only use one.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Exclamation Marx posted:

:drat:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Lewis Carroll would have loved anime. Being as how he was very fond of underage girls and all.

Alice in Wonderland is like proto-anime with a bunch of jokes about English grammar baked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

Alright, that was pretty good. :golfclap:

• Locked thread