Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So with La Rou Fan and Chinese bacon, what's the best way to prepare the bacon? I've read that it says to remove the rind and steam, does that mean the outer tough part of the skin or the entire skin? And is steaming the best way or should I steam then saute? Too many questions for such a simple dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

net work error posted:

So with La Rou Fan and Chinese bacon, what's the best way to prepare the bacon? I've read that it says to remove the rind and steam, does that mean the outer tough part of the skin or the entire skin? And is steaming the best way or should I steam then saute? Too many questions for such a simple dish.

Outer part - the actual rind - I infer. The fat is good for you :mrapig:

Chinese bacon and ham are incredibly salty. I use them often for cooking greens, diced very finely, along with garlic cloves. Works best for more substantial greens like gai lan and water spinach. No salt needed, the meat adds all that is required. Goes into fried rice, too, in tiny cubes. A few solid bits put into ye olde chicken soupe with ginger and scallion to simmer for hours is a great flavour enhancer.

I like to stack Shanghainese ham or bacon, very finely sliced, in between slices of winter melon with goji berries sprinkled on top and steam the poo poo out of it. Excellent winter dish.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm excited to see how this turns out tonight. :dance: I might be buying it pretty often if I can have as much fun with it as you make it seem it is.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's a great ingredient for sure. We fill up the freezer every time we go to Shanghai. There's this famous store for preserved foods on Nanjing Road, the guy taking the money looks like the Chinese Benicio del Toro. And the ham is excellent as are the dried clams.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Broke up a duck yesterday and red-cooked the thighs Shanghai-style. I tossed in a liberal handful of 陳皮 - dried mandarin peel - in addition to the ordinary seasonings of star aniseed, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Then on a whim of inspiration I added a couple of whole arils of mace and holy loving poo poo did it match well with the chenpi, fatty duck, dark soy, wine and red sugar :stare:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Next time I'll look for a less fatty cut of belly. The smell of the 5 spice when roasting was wonderful.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ranter posted:

Next time I'll look for a less fatty cut of belly. The smell of the 5 spice when roasting was wonderful.

That looks amazing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I'm thinking of doing something like a red braised beef for dinner with eggplant using the red braised recipe from the first few pages of this thread. Thoughts? I'd love some advice. I've even got the long skinny Asian eggplants!

Edit: trip update! It turned out very good, rather spicy, very fragrant, totally delicious. Highly recommended.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 12, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

GreyPowerVan posted:

That looks amazing.

Thanks. I made this without reading the recipes from the OP (googled a bunch, kinda winged it based on various blog post recipes), and to be honest this threads roast pork looks way better. I don't think I poked holes deep enough to get it properly crispy. And so, I'm going to try this again! I couldn't find the asian/chinese style hole-poker thing on amazon so I got a jaccard instead.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The more layers the better thinks I. Also the fat must be firm. Looks delish :d

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Force de Fappe posted:

Also the fat must be firm.

Oh then I got that part right. I thought it needed to be soft like my local hong kong style BBQ joint.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
For an american who's, thusly, mostly used to americanized poo poo, what's a good set of authentic dishes to wean myself onto more traditional chinese cuisine as I learn to cook it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
For real Chinese stir-fry, it needs a very hot flame. If you don't have a big gas burner, that's probably not an option for you. Depending on your cooktop, I'd say get something that's most convenient, EXCEPT for teflon. Either a stainless steel flat-bottom wok or a carbon steel and you can google for the right way to season it, but it NEEDS to be seasoned. If you get a carbon steel wok, be sure you take care of it, because it should literally last you your entire life and your food will taste better for it.

Do keep some teflon stuff around for the annoying poo poo like eggs, etc. that don't play very well with stainless. Otherwise, your other pots/pans should be stainless/cast iron.

Otherwise, you really don't need anything fancy beyond general cooking stuff (as far as hardware goes), though the following might be useful:

Good rice cooker
Pressure cooker
Clay pot
Bamboo steamer

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Ah, I already know the equipment, I meant actual food/recipes I should try out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, you set "good set of dishes" and..

Did you check the OP? Those are pretty solid.

I've also made this: http://imgur.com/a/9pWAb (sadly before I switched to stainless)
made this based on a Cantonese grandmother on youtube's instructions: http://imgur.com/a/lFbl8
and this from some cookbook: http://imgur.com/a/p3VE7

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Neopie posted:

Ah, I already know the equipment, I meant actual food/recipes I should try out.

I'm making the red-braised pork from the OP today.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Bought a big burner for brewing beer and it just clicked that I can make some hell of excellent stir fry

I happen to also have some meat that needs to be used today

Beef and asparagus is authentic right??

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neopie posted:

For an american who's, thusly, mostly used to americanized poo poo, what's a good set of authentic dishes to wean myself onto more traditional chinese cuisine as I learn to cook it?

Don't stir fry. Make noodles, dumplings, braised bork etc. Stir-fry is the thing that everyone associates with Chinese cooking, but it's not the only cooking method in China and it's the hardest to do in a Western kitchen.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know that it's the hardest thing to do in a Western kitchen. I mean, you can make most things decently well in a Western kitchen. I know we want to aim high in quality, but are we aiming for a "this dinner is pretty good" level or a "when do I get my Michelin star" level? I'd guess the former and, for that, you can stir-fry just fine in a Western kitchen and it is definitely a staple of Chinese cooking.

People do noodles, dumplings, braised pork, etc. sure, but stir-frying is the bread and butter of Chinese cooking.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

I'm making the red-braised pork from the OP today.

Seriously, red-braised pork is so good. I made some last week and that's all I wanted to eat until we finished it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
It became brown braised pork, but it was still tasty. I'm working on perfecting my siu yuk as a bring-along dish for a Halloween party. Put toothpicks in each bite sized piece, put out some dipping sauces (mustard and hoi sin) and you're golden!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was curious what the best way to figure out when to add different vegetables when stir-frying without a whole bunch of just trial an error. Does anyone have a handy chart of something so I can get my broccoli nice and soft without having obliterated the bell pepper?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
easiest way is to do things separately and reincorporate it all at the end

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Carillon posted:

I was curious what the best way to figure out when to add different vegetables when stir-frying without a whole bunch of just trial an error. Does anyone have a handy chart of something so I can get my broccoli nice and soft without having obliterated the bell pepper?

Bell pepper will get mushy in just a few minutes. I like to add bell pepper like a minute before I turn off the heat.

Rule of thumb: root vegetables 10 minutes to get soft, 5 minutes to be edible; aromatics no more than 5 minutes; fruits no more than 2. Assuming roots and aromatics are sliced fairly thin and you're stir-frying. Peppers and tomatoes are fruits.

Eggs generally have to be done separately because they cook so fast and can't be added raw to the rest of the dish without binding with other ingredients.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Carillon posted:

Blanching works great, short of that cook separately then mix at the end as suggested.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
The jaccard I bought off amazon is a piece of poo poo and can't penetrate pig skin. Anyone know of a place online to get the chinese hole poking thing? And are there actual names for the hole poking thing so I can ask in Asian markets?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Makes sense, my stir fry tomorrow will be all the better for it. I've just been so all over the place with texture that I figured there had to be a better idea than just guessing lol.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, you set "good set of dishes" and..
and this from some cookbook: http://imgur.com/a/p3VE7

Made this earlier this week, came out great. Thanks for that one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Just checking in to say I followed Force de Fappe and paraquat's advice and my congee turned out great!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Chinese food in Japan is just hosed up.

Apparently, yang chow fried rice is the jewl of fried rice :wtc:

And there's dan dan noodles everywhere. Even in Shanghai or Cantonese cuisine

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's basically the same story everywhere in the world that's not China / Chinatown, dude.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

There's supposedly pretty good Sichuan food in Shinjuku. In Kansai I only ever found very Japanese-style Chinese food though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I had some floury dumplings that were filled with a mix of pork and broth of some kind. It was interesting having a soup-like dumpling. Does anyone know what these are called?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Were they different from soup dumplings? I don't know how to word this to make it not sound like I'm being a dick but soup dumplings are a thing. Xiaolongbao is probably the most famous kind. Tangbao are really big ones and you usually don't even eat the dumpling skin, but instead drink the soup out of them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Were they different from soup dumplings? I don't know how to word this to make it not sound like I'm being a dick but soup dumplings are a thing. Xiaolongbao is probably the most famous kind. Tangbao are really big ones and you usually don't even eat the dumpling skin, but instead drink the soup out of them.

No, I understand. I've just literally never had them or anything similar before, so I didn't know if they had an actual name or were just called "soup dumplings".

Thanks, anyways, it was Xiaolongbao.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good xiaolongbao are one of the greatest things on Earth so I hope the name will help you find more and put them into your mouth.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Good xiaolongbao are one of the greatest things on Earth so I hope the name will help you find more and put them into your mouth.

Good news: the person who made them is an exchange student here and I know her roommate, so I may be able to get the recipe/be shown how to make them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know the secret of why cheap supermarket brand rice tastes so bad? Want to do some egg fried this eve, went to waitrose looking for long grain but they didn't have any branded stuff, just their own long grain. Assumed it couldn't be tescos level of bad but drat, it's just the same. How do they even achieve the weird taste of cheap rice, what do they do to it?

e: correction, it tastes of nothing but leaves a really weird aftertaste. And it doesn't fluff up at all.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe a combination of fast boiling/freeze drying