Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Cocks Cable posted:

I have played this at least 10 times now and 9 out of 10 of those times ranks up there in my worst gaming experiences. I'm always dead by turn 2 because players always seem to treat it as monkey cheese attack random people lol game. Also everything is random so like roll and draw cards better I guess.

I've only played the game 3 times, but none of the times had any player removed in this way. I agree with the idea that a fault of the game is that it COULD happen like this. But ultimately this should be less an indictment of the game and more the people you play it with. Any game with player elimination could have people gang up on others. Players have enough health in Shadow hunter that if you are legitimately dead by turn two it's not people randomly attacking but people purposefully deciding to kill you.

I think the game is fine but nothing fantastic. There are better bluffing games, but it's not bad for a change of pace and certain mechanics work well. I'm not sure I agree with "everything" is random, but there is a strong random element to it particularly with the items you draw.

sector_corrector posted:

What are some boardgame models for doing monster AI that work especially well? I've been fooling around with a single player tactics game system for a while, and that's a major stumbling block for me.

The D&D adventure game had a moderately decent AI in my opinion. They're simple instructions on a per monster basis. So a monster that has a good ranged attack will try to stay within 1 tile in order to do that, whereas a melee monster will rush the nearest hero. Considering that most people do the same sort of strategies I don't think this is a terrible way to do it. It makes them overly predictable though.

I haven't played the games people mentioned where they had randomized decks for monster AI, but I wonder how that would work for monsters that would naturally want varied strategies.

Some mixture of set AI and randomized draw would probably be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

I was thinking along similar lines. The problem would be that having individual monster decks seems like it would take up a lot of space if you wanted to have more than 4 or 5 monster types, and building decks on the fly for encounters seems like it would be annoying for the players. Is it a single deck for all monsters that reacts based on what they're fighting, or is it a deck per monster?

A custom deck per monster. You can tweak them a bit for levels

You've hit the nail on the head though, kingdom death only has one monster at a time. It would be cumbersome as balls for more than a couple

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cocks Cable posted:

players always seem to treat it as monkey cheese attack random people lol game.

The game mechanics encourage it. If there are two Shadows and two Hunters, and you're a Shadow, then you have one ally and two enemies out there, which means any blind attack you make is twice as likely to hit an enemy as it is to hit an ally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
More accurately, if you're a Hunter or a Shadow, you win by eliminating all your enemies, which means if everyone else is dead, you win by default.

Also, there are a number of Neutrals who have weird solo win conditions and killing them early is to your benefit.

Killing everyone else is a totally viable strategy to Shadow Hunters.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

You don't necessarily want to kill whoever starts taking damage first since the penalty for killing an ally is really big but it's strongly incentivized to spread damage around. The worst situation is to have your guys kinda wounded or badly wounded and one of the direct enemies is at 0 or 1 when midgame starts...

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
One of the neutrals also wins by themselves if they die first, so there's that.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Acolyte! posted:

One of the neutrals also wins by themselves if they die first, so there's that.

Two of them, actually, if we're counting expansion characters (which come standard in the box, now).

I may have played too much Shadow Hunters. All criticisms and points said so far are very, very valid.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OmegaGoo posted:

Two of them, actually, if we're counting expansion characters (which come standard in the box, now).

I may have played too much Shadow Hunters. All criticisms and points said so far are very, very valid.

Yeah, it's one of those games that can be enjoyable, but can also have its flaws slap you in the face. It'd be way better if it was shorter.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Any opinions on Blood Bound? I don't know what to make of it. Played this a few times and it feels like what Shadow Hunters is trying to do but better. There are hidden roles with special powers and hidden teams. You're pass a cardboard dagger around the table and stab each other for information. Your goal is to kill the leader of the rival vampire family. The first player to die ends the game. The art is super lame cheesy LARP poo poo but in an almost hilarious charming sorta way. It cracks me up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, it's one of those games that can be enjoyable, but can also have its flaws slap you in the face. It'd be way better if it was shorter.

If the characters were a little more balanced and damage less swingy on a shorter health track, it'd probably be a little better, but it's a reasonably simple game to throw at people who're new to the hobby or prefer simpler games in general. Even with 8 players, it should never go more than an hour too. It should also never be played with less than 6.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like For Sale is back in print. Anyone know if it is the full size or the nicer travel size copy?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jeeves posted:

It looks like For Sale is back in print. Anyone know if it is the full size or the nicer travel size copy?

How big is the full size? The version I saw at Spiel was quite a small box, but you could probably fit For Sale in the space of a deck of cards.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
So it was my birthday and my amazing girlfriend got me a copy of Eclipse. However, I have seen the rumblings about the degenerate Plasma Missile strategy. I know the 'best' option is to get the expansion, but is there any goon opinion on what to so with just the base game?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Maybe screen your fleet with heavily armoured interceptors to soak up hits? If you are on the offensive you can make them retreat out of their own sectors

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Plasma missiles don't necessarily bust the game, but they do change everyone's math once they come out. You can win fights against them with lots of shields and hull but it's expensive and time consuming. If they come out, a better option is often just to stick to neutron bombs and interceptors with fast drives/wormhole generators so you can skip around and avoid them - people often hold onto systems too much and underestimate the value of just taking control of resource systems late turn and not relying on systems for points. Cripples other people's economies too.

To tweak the game a bit you could leave them out of the tech bag entirely, or house rule them to be one die instead of two. I'm sure there are other house rules out there. You could probably also proxy tiles from the expansion - I think there are some blank tiles included for this kind of thing?

I think they only dominate games if people are intent on duking it out late game over high value systems - combat has diminishing returns though and you can hull up starbases fairly cheaply. This is not always successful but PM players may have to concentrate their fleet, which usually leaves their systems open (unless people have also let them choke point off a large chunk of map).

The real killer is if a player gets lucky with ancient tech and can combo plasma missiles with the +3 computers, or super warp drive with neutron bombs, as either of those lets a player either take down fleets with 2-3 interceptors or just fly everywhere and hit any weak spots for cheap. One game I had both and it was basically game over for everyone else - maybe could have been countered but I doubt it. The expansion does resolve it but adds complexity to do so.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Race for the Galaxy: Xeno Invasion Designer Diary is up! poo poo looks weird but I'm 100% buying it and giving it a shot. Alien Artifacts is the best "standard" Race experience by far, XI seems like a different beast with lots of cards that do weird poo poo a la a more balanced/reasonable Brink of War.

I look forward to it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The simplest fix for Missiles is to make them cost 1 energy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Played a good game ofVinhos yesterday, my first play with the game and by far the heaviest game I've played. We both liked it - it's an interesting euro with a ton of decisions to make and a lot of scarcity. Even though I made a few pretty bad rules blunders I can see how the game is supposed to work now and am eager to get it back to the table.

Despite the heaviness of the game, actually playing through it was fairly quick with two players. Once we both understood the rules the strategy of the game opened itself up fairly quickly. There's a deluxe edition of it coming out in the next year, but it seems like the graphical change will be more of a side-grade than an upgrade.

I like how much the game really forces you to produce wine as fast as possible. There's a lot of ways to make your wine better, but ultimately volume is key for getting extra actions through relationships with managers and for getting money.

If you're starting this game for the first time, you probably should play the first half of the game, up to the first fair, and then start over. Without seeing how the fairs work it's easy to make mistakes and assume that you can get away with certain types of strategies that actually don't work.

Despite all this, the game is very open-ended. You can change gears and switch directions quickly if the weather changes. (And the weather does change - it effects your wine quality.)

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Andarel posted:

Race for the Galaxy: Xeno Invasion Designer Diary is up! poo poo looks weird but I'm 100% buying it and giving it a shot. Alien Artifacts is the best "standard" Race experience by far, XI seems like a different beast with lots of cards that do weird poo poo a la a more balanced/reasonable Brink of War.

I look forward to it.

Goddamn, I love looking at new RFTG cards

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

tofes posted:

Goddamn, I love looking at new RFTG cards

The art is great in this set.

Between Two Cities should be arriving today, probably going to roll down to the meetup group and give it a shop. Looks really interesting!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andarel posted:

Between Two Cities should be arriving today, probably going to roll down to the meetup group and give it a shop. Looks really interesting!

On the subject of which, Scythe went live 25 minutes ago and is just $2k away from breaking Tuscany's Day 1 total.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Scythe has now reached $200k in the first hour, this is nuts. What's the most funded boardgame kickstarter other than exploding kittens?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

The Supreme Court posted:

Scythe has now reached $200k in the first hour, this is nuts. What's the most funded boardgame kickstarter other than exploding kittens?

Zombicide: Black Plague @ $4,079,204

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?ref=category_modal&sort=most_funded

^Can be filtered to tabletop games, but some things are categorized under "playing cards".

e: Actually it's just Exploding Kittens, so Here's the tabletop games

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How good is Scythe supposed to be on playtesting? I'm seriously considering throwing in the extra 40 for collectors edition, because drat those are some nice looking pieces.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Collector is limited to 2,000 numbered units (over 1.5k spoken for right now) so decide fast or spend some time later going :f5:

I liked what I read of the rules and play when I read through the prototype stuff, I'm excited for 8-12 months from now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Collector is limited to 2,000 numbered units (over 1.5k spoken for right now) so decide fast or spend some time later going :f5:

I liked what I read of the rules and play when I read through the prototype stuff, I'm excited for 8-12 months from now.

It is not a limited pledge tier.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is it still possible to buy a copy of Twilight Struggle anywhere? I've had a look around and it seems to be out of stock everywhere, are they reprinting it? A UK based supplier would be ideal.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

So basically, minis.

Also, the Kingdom Death box looks really sweet compared to the other games on there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Minis and zombies and for some reason dwarves. It seems like they're mostly hitting the key demographic of grognards.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Dwarven Forge has nothing to do with dwarves. It's a terrain-generation company (that actually makes really sweet stuff).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

This is the thread you want.

Top non-minis based project right now is Mare Nostrum: Empires, which took just under $680k. Scythe is already 18th on that list, and is probably going to break the top 10 on day 1.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is it still possible to buy a copy of Twilight Struggle anywhere? I've had a look around and it seems to be out of stock everywhere, are they reprinting it? A UK based supplier would be ideal.

You can preorder it off the GMT website, they don't charge until they ship the game.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My LGS is having a demo night this weekend for the following games:

Mysterium
The Village Crone
Firefly: Fistful of Credits
Builders: Antiquity

I only have time to play 1-2 of them, are any of them a must try? Currently leaning towards Mysterium and Builders.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lorini posted:

You can preorder it off the GMT website, they don't charge until they ship the game.
I wouldn't recommend doing this as shipping + customs will make it more expensive than just waiting. Unfortunately currently TS is out of print: it reprints regularly, so just wait until they do another run.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Machai posted:

My LGS is having a demo night this weekend for the following games:

Mysterium
The Village Crone
Firefly: Fistful of Credits
Builders: Antiquity

I only have time to play 1-2 of them, are any of them a must try? Currently leaning towards Mysterium and Builders.

Mysterium is awesome, definitely go for that. I have tried Builders in some version, and it wasn't horrible, but not good either. Firefly is terrible, or at least so everyone says, I haven't played it for that reason. I don't know about The Village Crone at all.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Definitely Mysterium, and I hear Village Crone is good too.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Been pulling together a board game travel kit. What're a couple good very small footprint games? Have Hive Pocket, Hanabi, Race for the Galaxy, and Coup.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't recommend doing this as shipping + customs will make it more expensive than just waiting. Unfortunately currently TS is out of print: it reprints regularly, so just wait until they do another run.

Thank you, I'll wait until there's a reprint and buy it then.

Thank you too, to Lorini for the suggestion of getting it direct from GMT.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

NmareBfly posted:

Been pulling together a board game travel kit. What're a couple good very small footprint games? Have Hive Pocket, Hanabi, Race for the Galaxy, and Coup.

My travel kit has Codenames, Coup, Love Letter, a pack of cards to proxy Avalon and Skull, Pretense!, Zeppelin Attack and the Netrunner core set. I'm quite tempted to put in a few houses from the Game of Thrones LCG core set in there too, as the decks are pretty short.

I used to have Sheriff of Nottingham in there too, but it was just too many cards and too mediocre a game to justify the space.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like Falling myself.