Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I still want to play Dragon Quest XIII at some point. Is it basically mobile with touchscreen or emulated PS2 original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do you mean DQ8? It's a Unity port for mobile devices, not an emulation.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry, what I mean is - the only ways to play DQ8 are mobile via the unity port or on PC emulating the original?

No other versions inbound?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's it for now, yeah. There's also a 3DS version in Japan but who knows if it'll ever come over.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Seeing as they'd have to record new lines and translate new dialogue, I wouldn't hold my breathe. But it's so, SO much less work than DQ7's translation that it's entirely possible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The CEO of S-E Europe says he's looking into the possibility of crowdfunding localisation, so yeah, look forward to that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The CEO of S-E Europe says he's looking into the possibility of crowdfunding localisation, so yeah, look forward to that.

I think you mean, PLEASE look forward to that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Sorry, what I mean is - the only ways to play DQ8 are mobile via the unity port or on PC emulating the original?

No other versions inbound?

There's also the option of playing on a PS2

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I don't have a PS2 anymore. But I do have the original disk - bought after I no longer had my PS2...
For my PS3. Which ended up not having backwards compatibility.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm not really surprised, but I'm still a little disgusted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't have a PS2 anymore. But I do have the original disk - bought after I no longer had my PS2...
For my PS3. Which ended up not having backwards compatibility.

Me neither, but I picked one up again recently so I could play DW7 and DQ8 and it was definitely worth it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I saw DQVI while browsing on the Android store. Is it the DS version like all the other app store postings?

Kind of a bummer they got rid of monster recruitment.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who's excited for Dragon Quest Heroes tomorrow!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest Heroes is a weird as hell Musou game. It's more like they said "okay, what if we take Dragon Quest and make it an action-RPG" than "What if Dragon Quest was Musou" in some ways.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

I am!!!

Too bad I'm still playing Disgaea. I don't think I can take all the good PS4 games coming out this month.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Erg posted:

I am!!!

Too bad I'm still playing Disgaea. I don't think I can take all the good PS4 games coming out this month.

I got the MGSV 100% screen yesterday and took a breather and then started preloading DQ Heroes. Been a great stretch of weeks for game releases

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

In Training posted:

I am! Gonna hopefully stream it a bunch and record a proper video about it this week. Also I'm going to play the absolute poo poo out of it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

wooooooooooooo! putting off disgaea, transformers, tales, and uncharted for it. gently caress all non DQ games in the month of october.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I just got ahold of a patched version of DQM Caravan and so far it plays pretty solid. It's not the proper successor to DWM2 that I had hoped it was when I first saw screenshots, years ago (no DQ game ever will, I suspect) but still a DQ game. I've tried playing it before but for some reason only got an hour or two in, I think the food and caravan stuff, as well as lack of a proper map and faffing about with human support allies turned me off a bit.

Now that I knew to expect these additional elements before diving in, I'm appreciating the game a bit more. Compared to the first two, this entry is just gorgeous, with colorful sprites (though the wannabe-mode 7 overworld map is dumb). and pleasing backgrounds, obviously miles ahead of the GBC games. There seems to be a ton of unique monsters that I haven't seen, which is cool (though this might be because DW7 is the one DQ game that I've never played). Growing your hub with more NPCs is fun as always, and just generally hanging out in a new (for me) DQM setting is just great.

Currently in Chapter 3, I haven't figured out how to recruit monsters and haven't done any breeding (or fusion, whatever) so I'm not sure how I'm going to like all that. IMO, the Joker series hosed it all up with ranks and other dumb poo poo whereas the original two games had a breeding system that felt logical and allowed you to rock an overpowered beanman, if that's your jam. I suspect that this one is also going to involve ranks and weird fusions that don't make sense but we'll see.

Any of you here have any experience with the game? I'm curious to see what other vets of the series think. If other people feel lukewarm on it, I won't feel as guilty dropping it after only a few hours if I start getting bored.

So far it's fun.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder how hard it is to get hold of a DQ7 PSX disc. I know I used to own it a thousand years ago, but at this rate, I'll never be able to play the game on a more modern system. I guess it'd still be called Dragon Warrior...

...oh well shucks, it's a steal at 139.99

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wonder how hard it is to get hold of a DQ7 PSX disc. I know I used to own it a thousand years ago, but at this rate, I'll never be able to play the game on a more modern system. I guess it'd still be called Dragon Warrior...

I recently purchased DW7 used for like 30 dollars on Amazon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

That's for new. You can get it used for $40.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I'll sell you mine for $20 if you also pay for shipping. Hit me up.

I'm loving retarded sorry for getting your hopes up.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 12, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BadAstronaut posted:

I still want to play Dragon Quest XIII at some point. Is it basically mobile with touchscreen or emulated PS2 original?

DQXIII, the first VR DQ game, out now for the Playstation 5. Pre-order to receive exclusive puff-puff DLC!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is a weird as hell Musou game. It's more like they said "okay, what if we take Dragon Quest and make it an action-RPG" than "What if Dragon Quest was Musou" in some ways.

I really Iike it, but it is very much unlike a musou game; more an action RPG with musou elements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I really Iike it, but it is very much unlike a musou game; more an action RPG with musou elements.

Yeah, it has some similar linage. Nightmaws and defense objects are obviously supposed to replace bases but they feel different enough it doesn't feel like a 1 for 1 port and the general way the game is designed is way different. Mooks actually being significant instead of interchangable is a nice touch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only major complaints I have is that it takes an hour or two to really get going (around the end of Caliburgh), the shop/alchemy interface is kinda bad (Seriously? I can only get one thing at a time?), and kill quests can seriously gently caress off.

And I kinda regret choosing the male MC.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I knew something looked wrong. And I've known Roman numerals since I was like ten.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

The only major complaints I have is that it takes an hour or two to really get going (around the end of Caliburgh), the shop/alchemy interface is kinda bad (Seriously? I can only get one thing at a time?), and kill quests can seriously gently caress off.

And I kinda regret choosing the male MC.

Can you ever use the other MC if you don't choose them?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought I saw a screenshot of playable Pankraz but apparently I'm mistaken and I'm way more let down than I should be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Can you ever use the other MC if you don't choose them?

You can but there are some caveats there.

(PIck the female MC, she is way way better.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What makes her better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What makes her better.

From a mechanical perspective: She has ice moves which are somewhat more common than fire moves but have the ability to freeze enemies which I find a lot more useful.

From a character perspective: She fuckin' love to go balls out and fight at full force while the male character's entire joke is that he is slow-paced and boring and tries to make strategies that boil down to "go in and kick their asses."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

From a mechanical perspective: She has ice moves which are somewhat more common than fire moves but have the ability to freeze enemies which I find a lot more useful.

From a character perspective: She fuckin' love to go balls out and fight at full force while the male character's entire joke is that he is slow-paced and boring and tries to make strategies that boil down to "go in and kick their asses."

This. He is not a dislikable character (Hi Terry!), just a lesser, one joke one.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 12, 2015

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I forgot I had an extra preorder for DQH (standard version). If anyone's interested and don't mind getting it a couple days later, drop me a PM.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Apropos of nothing, I just achieved S(UB)LIME! on superboss Slival in Rocket Slime and I feel pretty good about it

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I can't wait to kill millions of slimes tonight

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I will genocide them

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Back from the slime killing fields for a short break.

It's good, get it. I murdered so many slimes already.

And now I have Kiryl and Alena, with their gloriously localized dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kiryl and Alena are so so good.