Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Where the heck do you go to download 64-bit java?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bhodi posted:

So I played around with me^3. About 6 hours in, and I've cleaned most of the biodome and STILL haven't found wherever the ME drive is hiding. I've got 3 or 4 drives at this point and am getting really, REALLY tired of minecraft's janky combat and killing infinite numbers of spiders. The spawners are impossible to find and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "goals" in these stored rooms. Just a few chests here and there in "hidden" areas that you have to get lucky to stumble upon. I got a bunch of bee stuff and just decided to log. I didn't realize it was a forestry+bee pack - two mods that I REALLY dislike.

Never did find the certus. "LOL ITS SOMEWHERE IN 128x128 JUST FIND IT" well I broke about a million blocks, didn't find anything and then went home.

Unless it's supposed to pick up right after where I'm at, I think I'm going to stick with modern packs. This pack had so much potential, too.

I got a few ender cores from "hidden" areas outside the, er, space station(?), I really want to just quary the whole damned thing.

I just took all those pretty certus quartz pillar blocks off the top bit of the first area. There's a ton of them. The horizontal striped ones have to go through the pulverizer to get the quartz out for whatever reason, but the vertical striped ones are just stick in your crafting grid and bam, 4 certus. You'll want to use silk touch with those glowstone, though, the dusts will retain the chisel metadata and become unusable as far as I can tell.

I want an ender quarry too, but my big issue is diamonds. I need 9 diamonds for it, and have been picking up ender cores/ender infused obsidian from around the base. I've got enough emeralds (I think) to be able to craft enchanted books for the magical wood, though. On the other hand, until I can set up ME item storage, an ender quarry would just overwhelm my scattered chests.

Edit:

Ariong posted:

Where the heck do you go to download 64-bit java?

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Thanks. Man, Oracle's website is garbo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ariong posted:

Thanks. Man, Oracle's website is garbo.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

I just took all those pretty certus quartz pillar blocks off the top bit of the first area. There's a ton of them. The horizontal striped ones have to go through the pulverizer to get the quartz out for whatever reason, but the vertical striped ones are just stick in your crafting grid and bam, 4 certus. You'll want to use silk touch with those glowstone, though, the dusts will retain the chisel metadata and become unusable as far as I can tell.

Yeah I just remembered the staircase walls were all certus. I solved the glowstone metadata problem by simply crafting them into glowstone blocks then pulverizing that glowstone, IIRC.

I disagree with simply quarrying all the zones. What fun is that? Well, I guess if you do it after you've fully explored it...

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 12, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, it makes sense when you think about it that way. I'd been given machines in chests in a number of occasions and thought one would be provided to me, ready to go.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Went back through and made the fuel processing area a little less hazardous to navigate.

Then I got the broken iron ore to ingots system worked out. I'd forgotten that I had gotten that Crafter Tier 2 as one of my quest rewards. It wound up being perfectly suited for this task.

Now all that leaves is the steel/steel plate part of the process, which I can just put in the ship since it will only require two machines.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Jvie posted:

Dividing teleporters to something like transporters and beacons sounds good. I'll probably make ones placeable by players dungeon loot. Having the teleporters require visiting them for repairs sounds like it'd make players angry but I'll probably make the network have some needs you can pipe in through any node of it.

I am actually working on a mod at the moment,

The idea is to have teleporter blocks and dimensional transponders for the destinations.

trying to work out how to do the addressing though, I would love to have it like the ender chests so coloring the transponders and transporter blocks for addressing.

Any suggestions would be good.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

taiyoko posted:

Easy hack to fix chisel metadata problems - put one normal version of the item in a chest, then shift-click the broken ones onto it. They stack, which removes the metadata and makes them into normal items.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ambaire posted:

And from Lorddusk's comment, it looks like he's angry that someone dared to make his mod easier to use. Unless I'm blatantly misreading that.

:laffo:

gently caress Lord Dusk, forever and ever, amen. I produced the fixes in the 4.2.3 release (some major optimizations to location objectives, which were produced from a lot of hard work by Talonos and Skuli to isolate the issue and work from me to put together a "patch" that I had to deliver to dusk over pastebin) myself. So then we find out that there's a major bug in how party data is loaded ,which I discussed way, way upthread. At the time, we don't know the details and the problem was way too bizarre to track down without an integrated debugger, but what we DO have is a server package that can be dumped into a development environment and triggers the bug on startup each time. For anyone who's a developer, that's a holy grail, considering that they've been fighting against having to debug this issue for literal years now, claiming that it's because of people having too many folks on a server, claiming all kinds of bizarre-rear end bullshit to get out of tracking it down. So we do all the work, and this is the conversation I have:

quote:

Friday, May 15, 2015
10:10:45 <CanVox> Hey LordDusk, I've got that problem we were having with blightfall reproducing
10:11:00 <•LordDusk> tell me about it
10:11:01 <CanVox> We have a server w/ save put together that has 2 players on 1 team in the players.dat
10:11:28 <•LordDusk> eh?
10:11:29 <CanVox> If I start it the next time HQM saves players.dat, it saves the owner of the team as a solo player
10:11:50 <CanVox> So then if the owner joins the game their progress is wiped
10:11:57 <CanVox> The team still exists and they're still the owner
10:12:00 <CanVox> But they can't see it
10:12:36 <CanVox> Like the team has the player but the player doesn't have the time
10:12:38 <CanVox> team*
10:13:09 <CanVox> It's hard to make much more sense of it without a debugger, but I figured since we have a server package that does this consistently you might be able to help
10:13:12 <•LordDusk> that's weird...
10:13:17 <CanVox> Yeah really weird
10:13:31 <CanVox> I coudln't figure out why just from looking at the code, someone's gonna need to walk through it
10:14:24 <•LordDusk> what code?
10:14:37 <CanVox> jd-gui
10:16:01 <•LordDusk> I only understand half of what you are trying to say :P
10:16:26 <CanVox> Which half? :-P
10:22:47 <•LordDusk> both? :D
10:23:29 <CanVox> haha uhhh ok
10:23:39 <CanVox> So we have this issue on the servers where sometimes people join and their progress is wiped.
10:23:56 <CanVox> We were just gonna let it ride but then some dudes were doing a blightfall LP and it was this huge thing
10:24:05 <CanVox> Like a lot of the LPers lost their progress.
10:24:37 <CanVox> So we've been researching it- basically how I put together that 4.2.3 fix, using jd-gui, eyeballs, and whatever tools will let me act on the jar externally
10:25:12 <CanVox> So today I've managed to put together a server that always corrupts HQM's player.dat on first save- good data goes in, bad data comes out
10:25:25 <CanVox> The player is saving out as a solo player. I have no idea why and eyeballing the code is providing zero answers
10:26:04 <CanVox> But, since I have this package that can consistently reproduce, I was hoping you could take a look at it in the debugger, see what it's doing, fix it etc.
Saturday, May 16th, 2015
04:07:47 <CanVox> LordDusk?
08:26:35 <JohnnyMobbins> can anyone give me some advice on locking sets? I can use triggers fine but only hiding all quests within set rather that locking the set iteself?
09:19:54 <•LordDusk> huh?
09:22:30 <•LordDusk> Could you be a bit more clearer JohnnyMobbins ?
09:29:30 <JohnnyMobbins> hey Dusk, Im trying to keep certain sets locks until required quests in other sets are completed
09:29:59 <•LordDusk> You will have to hide them all yes.
09:30:10 <•LordDusk> Hook the first quest into another quest from another set.
09:30:31 <•LordDusk> Hiding is the only possibility
09:30:56 <JohnnyMobbins> Ok yes i can hide all the quests in that set but i was trying to get the whole set to remain locked.
09:30:57 <•LordDusk> Next time you want to ask something, ping me :P
09:31:10 <JohnnyMobbins> No probs mate. Ill just go with that.
09:31:13 <•LordDusk> :P
09:31:17 <JohnnyMobbins> Cheers mate :)
09:31:57 <•LordDusk> hide hide hide hide > set locks untill the first quest unhides
10:32:13 <CanVox> Hey LordDusk, do you have time to talk about the progress wipe thing?
10:33:13 <•LordDusk> I always have time to talk.
10:33:28 <•LordDusk> Time to debug things is a whole other question
10:34:11 <CanVox> What can I do to help?
Monday, May 18th, 2015
Wednesday, May 20th, 2015
Thursday, May 21st, 2015
11:05:34 — Tatsu011 gives LordDusk cookies
11:08:00 <Tatsu011> I saw ye twitters
11:08:19 <Tatsu011> and you get cookies and tissues if need be
13:31:22 ? CanVox left (sid15040@charlton.irccloud.com)

"No time to debug things" is pretty much HQM's slogan. Ultimately, I had to take care of it myself just so that blightfall was viable as a modpack, without any access to the source. It was not easy. It doesn't surprise me to see lorddusk attempting to bitch out people for making HQM actually useful, physically obstructing HQM's progress is his main thing that he does.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

gently caress Lord Dusk, forever and ever, amen. I produced the fixes in the 4.2.3 release (some major optimizations to location objectives, which were produced from a lot of hard work by Talonos and Skuli to isolate the issue and work from me to put together a "patch" that I had to deliver to dusk over pastebin) myself. So then we find out that there's a major bug in how party data is loaded ,which I discussed way, way upthread. At the time, we don't know the details and the problem was way too bizarre to track down without an integrated debugger, but what we DO have is a server package that can be dumped into a development environment and triggers the bug on startup each time. For anyone who's a developer, that's a holy grail, considering that they've been fighting against having to debug this issue for literal years now, claiming that it's because of people having too many folks on a server, claiming all kinds of bizarre-rear end bullshit to get out of tracking it down. So we do all the work, and this is the conversation I have:

"No time to debug things" is pretty much HQM's slogan. Ultimately, I had to take care of it myself just so that blightfall was viable as a modpack, without any access to the source. It was not easy. It doesn't surprise me to see lorddusk attempting to bitch out people for making HQM actually useful, physically obstructing HQM's progress is his main thing that he does.

I can get the source of HQM if needed, its not obfuscated as such just needs the correct method deobf applying. or just knowing what method_a_2342344 is

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://twitter.com/HQMupdates/status/653525102169059328

LOL

TheresaJayne posted:

I can get the source of HQM if needed, its not obfuscated as such just needs the correct method deobf applying. or just knowing what method_a_2342344 is

I was eventually able to put together a functioning dev environment with fernflower. It's not really the same as the real source, you're missing the developer's formatting/comments and more importantly, in a codebase as large as HQM's there's the possibility of something not decompiling correctly and adding subtle bugs, which is why NoTimeFix was done as a coremod instead of a modified jar.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are you sure you want his formatting and comments?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm kind of shocked a quest book has such a huge codebase.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sounds like hqm was made by a pretty inexperienced developer and you started talking above his paygrade

it happens, one thing i have learned is that code quality actually has little correlation to thing popularity or usefulness

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey shukaro you should git your thing on the hub so we can contribute

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheresaJayne posted:

I am actually working on a mod at the moment,

The idea is to have teleporter blocks and dimensional transponders for the destinations.

trying to work out how to do the addressing though, I would love to have it like the ender chests so coloring the transponders and transporter blocks for addressing.

Any suggestions would be good.

I really like the idea of it matching the ender chest/tank/etc system, but a possible complication you'd face there is that I can have 20 ender chests with the same combo and that's fine; What happens when I make that third teleporter with the same code? Does it just cycle through matching code locations?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you sure you want his formatting and comments?

You're assuming that he comments at all. Granted no programmer ever comments enough (I'm guilty of that too, of course) but modders are not always actually trained coders. Plus the :siren: MY VISION :siren: crap means they don't want you to read their code and fix their problems. Aside from that how many modders are egotistical twits that can't admit they're ever wrong? Probably the most important thing about learning to code is realizing that literally all code is bad, especially your own, and it's a very, very good idea to have more people than just you looking at it to find bugs or idiotic things you did.

I get the feeling they're a lot like the bad art students I've seen where they'll produce garbage work but then just say "well it's just my style!"

It's also possible that a lot of modders just don't know how to debug or decided that it's too hard. How many modders view it as a hobby and only want to do the fun parts? Debugging is thankless, tedious, and awful but it needs to be done.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I have been told I comment my code beautifully :colbert:

I write like a comment per line and a small paragraph per task of code because I know I am an incompetent idiot at coding and just want to make it as easy as possible for people who are actually knowledgeable to unfuck my spaghetti code.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Taffer posted:

Hey shukaro you should git your thing on the hub so we can contribute

http://github.com/shukaro/questlog

Glory of Arioch posted:

sounds like hqm was made by a pretty inexperienced developer and you started talking above his paygrade

it happens, one thing i have learned is that code quality actually has little correlation to thing popularity or usefulness

It was actually originally made by vswe, the same guy as steve's carts. HQM now has a whole team of guys, but lorddusk is the only one who's actually around and he hasn't actually contributed anything. The project is entirely hosed.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TheresaJayne posted:

I can get the source of HQM
https://github.com/lorddusk/HQM

edit: grep says 166 comments, most of them commented out code

Threep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 12, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Ambaire posted:

For Galactic Science, how am I supposed to get rubber / rubber tree seeds? I just realized I have a way to crush cobble into gravel before getting off the Moon using the Electrical Age 50v macerator, but I don't see a way to get rubber...

I finally figured this one out. It requires resin. But it doesn't have to be from rubber trees. Oak works just as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I really like the idea behind Helpful Villagers. Having a functioning village of dudes farming and fishing and protecting themselves is a cool idea. I just wish it wasn't such a janky piece of poo poo in execution. Watching my farmer spin in circles for ten minutes and then crashing my client is entertaining once, but not beyond that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Threep posted:

https://github.com/lorddusk/HQM

edit: grep says 166 comments, most of them commented out code

This was just posted today, by the way. So, holy crap, for anyone who isn't paying attention, Lord Dusk open sourced HQM today. It's now GPL. This was done without Vswe's permission because nobody can get ahold of him, because the rest of the team is too unavailable/busy to actually work on it and the mod has been slowly decaying for over a year.

So, yeah, that's crazy but also completely awesome. I've already PR'd my stuff from NoTimeFix, and a team consisting of mezz (forestry) and vexatos (computronics) has been assembled to write an API finally and rebuild the thing into a mod that's not a total catastrophy.

Today's been a good day.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

This was just posted today, by the way. So, holy crap, for anyone who isn't paying attention, Lord Dusk open sourced HQM today. It's now GPL. This was done without Vswe's permission because nobody can get ahold of him, because the rest of the team is too unavailable/busy to actually work on it and the mod has been slowly decaying for over a year.

So, yeah, that's crazy but also completely awesome. I've already PR'd my stuff from NoTimeFix, and a team consisting of mezz (forestry) and vexatos (computronics) has been assembled to write an API finally and rebuild the thing into a mod that's not a total catastrophy.

Today's been a good day.

That's loving awesome!

EricFate posted:

I finally figured this one out. It requires resin. But it doesn't have to be from rubber trees. Oak works just as well.

Oh cool, that helps a lot with ore issues while stuck on the moon. Why are you using compressed cobble as a building material? Oh, also, do grass blocks survive in vacuum like trees, or will I have to make an airlock for it? ...I guess I may as well make an airlock for it anyway considering passive mobs are going to want to spawn on it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my dream is that people can make HQM tutorials for mods, and then be able to drop them in any pack. I feel like this being open-sourced is a step in that direction. Am I right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Turtlicious posted:

So my dream is that people can make HQM tutorials for mods, and then be able to drop them in any pack. I feel like this being open-sourced is a step in that direction. Am I right?

that sounds loving amazing

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

that sounds loving amazing

No kidding :swoon:. I'm pretty new to modding in general but all of the best experiences I've had with mods are ones with good in game documentation, and built-in HQM style quests would be even better.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Today's been a good day.

That is awesome. I'm too tired to look at the code atm but hopefully people can do some great work with this. I still want shukaro to make his thing but now people can fork this and make it not poo poo so that is fantastic

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Today's been a good day.

You forgot the best bit:
code:
+        //When filling in data for a player on a team, we sometimes follow a codepath that causes us to attempt to
+        //access its teammates.  If those teammates haven't been loaded yet, we'll generate dummy versions of the
+        //players and put them into the questing data db (for some reason??) then
+        //we won't load the player's data when it comes time to acutally load them from the file because the player is
+        //already in the database (why???) and so that player will have their progress wiped.  If that player is
+        //the team leader, then the team's progress gets nuked.
+
+        //This can be avoided by checking the database after loading a player & removing dummy teammates.  It should
+        //probably be avoided by dropping a nuke on the code responsible, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

McFrugal posted:

Oh cool, that helps a lot with ore issues while stuck on the moon. Why are you using compressed cobble as a building material? Oh, also, do grass blocks survive in vacuum like trees, or will I have to make an airlock for it? ...I guess I may as well make an airlock for it anyway considering passive mobs are going to want to spawn on it.

Because I have tons and tons and tons of it and it does not seem to give a crap when meteors slam into it (though it does take collateral damage when meteors land NEXT to it).

All plant life can apparently survive in a vacuum. I've only bothered to build two airlocks so far. One for the bottom level of my Mars base, because I spend a lot of AFK time there, and one for the obsidian chamber I built to do the Heart of the Star quest.

Side note about that quest: Plants may survive in a vacuum, but fire doesn't. Java really really doesn't like it when you make a whole lot of fire and then suck all the oxygen out of the room. Had to restore my save after that caused a crash loop. Solution was to move my outer airlock door a little further away (3 blocks) from the inner door so they wouldn't both open at once while I was running the hell away from the explosion.

Had planned to set up the ender quarry this evening so I could strip Mars of enough Desh to get the Tier 2 solar panel and Tier 3 rocket built, but got distracted by something I can only describe as a huge underground chamber of death. I can't even remember why I was down there. I think I was originally headed for bedrock level to see what kind of power output I could get from a Zero Point Extractor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EricFate fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: Where the gently caress do you find server downloads for Cursed packs? I want to try Hubris w/ Wolpertinger but this poo poo is garbo and there's no Technic equivalent, afaik

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 13, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So how the hell do you host a modded minecraft server with a modpack from Curse Voice? Googling it, I can only find a million threads with people asking for help and recieving nothing except for a 'Thanks for the suggestion but i can't help you bye!' from curse tech support. Curse is terrible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
lmao had to grab it from the FTB launcher

woo it's working now i need to stop being poo poo and learn how to port forward properly

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 13, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wolpertinger posted:

So how the hell do you host a modded minecraft server with a modpack from Curse Voice? Googling it, I can only find a million threads with people asking for help and recieving nothing except for a 'Thanks for the suggestion but i can't help you bye!' from curse tech support. Curse is terrible.

I too would really like to know how to do this since Curse can't be bothered, apparently.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

chairface posted:

I really like the idea of it matching the ender chest/tank/etc system, but a possible complication you'd face there is that I can have 20 ender chests with the same combo and that's fine; What happens when I make that third teleporter with the same code? Does it just cycle through matching code locations?

Thats why i am looking for ideas, as the other way would be like tessaracts, named transponders and you can make them private group or public

The plan is to not have them chunkload, however if you select the destination it will load that chunk so you can travel there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Curse forums and their launcher are a curse upon this world.
They can go gently caress themselves for not bothering to police their forums AT loving ALL when dealing with malware and viruses, especially with the lovely ads that download poo poo onto your computer just for visiting the website from day 1.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Curse forums and their launcher are a curse upon this world.
They can go gently caress themselves for not bothering to police their forums AT loving ALL when dealing with malware and viruses, especially with the lovely ads that download poo poo onto your computer just for visiting the website from day 1.

Curse was bad when all they did was host WoW addons, they appear to have gotten worse

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How the hell am I supposed to find charged certus quartz? Strip-mine half the landscape?

AE2's got some really lovely mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GotLag posted:

How the hell am I supposed to find charged certus quartz? Strip-mine half the landscape?

AE2's got some really lovely mechanics.

Yeah, that's pretty much your only option for getting the first charged certus. If you use the first one you find to make a charger, you're home free, but getting that one is a pain in the rear end.